Most elevated planet

sylph

Alright, I take back some of what I said re: everything in the chart being a part of me and not representing any sort of outside influence. Thinking about my Moon-Pluto opposition and how my mother was (well, is, but I don't talk to her..) a monster.

Sorry, this was random but I had to correct myself :tongue:

watcherofthesouth

So interesting! I've been studying Western and Vedic astrology for a few years now and I (mistakenly) never paid much attn to this! My question is, if Ketu is closest to my MC (9th house Cancer) but Saturn is the second elevated in the (8th/13 degrees Gemini), opposite Neptune; would Saturn be the most elevated? Does Ketu even count?

I've always been a career-oriented person in communications (I own a small business) but have considered spiritual consulting as a second career. There have definitely been a lot of delays, redirects, confusion and restrictions throughout my professional life in the "typical" career path I've lead so far i.e. commercial profession.

Uranus/Moon/Asc all square my MC but Venus (4th house) trines Uranus/Moon/Asc

Last edited:

conspiracy theorist

My answer is that Saturn would get the nod as the most elevated planet (emphasis on planet). Neptune in the 2nd could be the placement that describes your spiritual consultancy, as the 2nd house is a house of profession. The Moon also has a connection to counselling and spirituality, as well. Is your MC also in Cancer, or is it Leo? What is the MC ruler doing in your chart?

At least in the western tradition (contemporary and classical) the nodal axis isn't classified as a planet per se, and it's mostly interpreted as a point of gain in the case of the north node, and a point of privation in the case of the south node. Even in modern psychological and the theosophically influenced branches, the north node is seen as a place where you have the potential for maximal soul growth, while too much time spent at the point of the south node will result in spiritual stagnation. Still, there aren't standalone significations for the nodes like in jyotish, where Rahu and Ketu are on the level of the other 7 planets.

I'd say a "cousin" of the most elevated planet in jyotish would be the atmakaraka - planet with the highest degrees taking on a greater importance in the life of the chart owner, but I can't remember reading or hearing anything of an elevated planet doctrine in jyotish. Perhaps you or someone else with more familiarity with Indian astrology have something to share about it here?

With all that said, in the spirit of greater knowledge, you could look at the charts of people who have the nodes as the most elevated point in the chart and see if its position would fall in line with a planet that is the most elevated.

conspiracy theorist

I did the chart of this thread and it had Cancer Rising with a 5 planet stellium in the 10th house, which included a Sun/Moon conjunction exactly at the Midheaven. I did not do that on purpose.

david starling

We've been viewing a Chart with NO planets above the Horizon. Would that mean there are no elevated planets, or would you go with the one least below it?

conspiracy theorist

I asked that question earlier in the thread:

Hi Katy, about that...

Where would your cut-off be in regard to the most elevated planet? Say all the planets were below the horizon and the most elevated planet is a planet in the 6th house conjunct the dsc. Would you say that this planet is acts as if the most elevated?

well technically yes, but it would not be 'elevated' in the MC type of sense.

It would be important to note that it is the 'most' elevated, but that none of the planets are above the horizon, so that in itself is noteworthy.

I'd agree with Katy's answer, especially as it seems that the most elevated planet as symbolic ties to the MC/zenith of the chart.

About the connection between the MC and the most elevated planet idea, that was mentioned by both Katydid and Dr. Farr earlier, I found an outline of how Manilius treated the houses in astrology, which seemed to put the supremacy of the midheaven over the ascendant. It's on solunars - https://solunars.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=46&sid=241254ec8de332d682234ca9a00d2a56

david starling

Forgot to mention an important factor, my M.C. is in Sagittarius. So, that skews the results, since Jupiter would be important anywhere in the Chart.

conspiracy theorist

What do you make of that?

A thread on the most elevated planet has as its chart 5 planets at the zenith, with the ascendant ruler involved at the midheaven with a very powerfully culminating Sun. The stellium is ruled by Mars in the house of community. 'As above so below' is what I made of it, even in something as seemingly innocuous as the start of an online discussion.

watcherofthesouth

Thank you for taking the time to explain this. Good advice to look at others' charts. Yes, Neptune is opposite my natal Saturn in the 2nd (Sag) and the Lord of the Tenth/Cancer is Moon sitting in the 1st house at 0 degrees Scorpio. I'm a Pisces Sun/5th plus lots of Uranus (Astrology) energy (sitting in 12th house Virgo/analysis, work?) so intuition and analysis play a big part in gravitating toward a spiritual counseling profession. I've also been told I have healing talents which could be another effect of Saturn in 8th and Uranus placement.

My Atmakaraka is Mercury however some Vedic calculators say Jupiter. Since my Jupiter is at 29 degrees (more intuition) and debilitated in Cap, I wonder if it's not considered the "highest" by some in Vedic astrology. Sorry to provide so much information but thought it would add to your very correct assessments.

unique_astrology

I'd agree with Katy's answer, especially as it seems that the most elevated planet as symbolic ties to the MC/zenith of the chart.

Just to clarify a point: The MC and Zenith are not usually the same. The Zenith is an exact 90° above (before) the Asc while the MC is usually not. The Nadir is 90° beneath (after) the Asc.

Attachments

• 'General_Science__physics_lakeheadu_ca_gif (GIF Image, 704 × 505 pixels)'.gif
    'General_Science__physics_lakeheadu_ca_gif (GIF Image, 704 × 505 pixels)'.gif
    36.4 KB · Views: 21

david starling

Just to clarify a point: The MC and Zenith are not usually the same. The Zenith is an exact 90° above (before) the Asc while the MC is usually not. The Nadir is 90° beneath (after) the Asc.

The M.C. is Due South in the Northern Hemisphere, and Due North in the Southern. The Asc is the intersection of the Sun's path, which defines the "Ecliptic" (our Astrological plane of measurement), with the Eastern Horizon in any given location and time on the Earth, and it's seldom Due East. The Asc is where the Sun WOULD be if it was just rising on the Eastern Horizon, and the M.C. is where the Sun WOULD be if it was at its highest point above the Southern (or Northern) Horizon.

unique_astrology

A visual to go with the one I posted earlier.

You can't get higher than 90 degrees above the horizon.

Attachments

• MC and Zenith.jpg
    MC and Zenith.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 37
Last edited: