J.K Rowling's ascendant?

Cascada

Her birth time is unknown. Anyone think they know what her rising sign is?

I think she's a Cancer rising, that would put Neptune in the 5th (at least in whole sign it would) and put a lot of focus on the second/third/fourth house depending on where those planets fall (I'm more inclined to think that she'd have several in the third for both her mind, writing ability and the fact that she's well educated).

Her assumed t.o.b makes her a Libra rising, but it doesn't fit for me. Although, it would put a lot of emphasis on her twelfth house, which would explain her vast imagination.. what do you think?

Last edited:

byjove

Account Closed
I would be surprised if it were within her capacity to find out but that she didn't - she showed healthy respect for astrology in the Harry Potter books and even some of the non astrology details are compatible e.g. four types of main temperament. Cancer or Virgo rising I think. many of the documentaries revealed in her own words, disinterest in the celebrity lifestyle and not liking public attention, so modest too.

*emma*

Banned
http://www.astrotheme.com/astrology/J._K._Rowling

Libra rising according to this, but the link for the source of time of birth doesnt work

I could go with Libra rising, but theres also something dreamy about her in some photos, so second guess would be pisces

I will mail the source website and ask

I have been in touch with the astrologer from the site that astrotheme took JKRs rising sign and there was no actual birthtime but rectification, better than nothing

Caro

well my sources tell me that she used to cast charts.
also that her pluto/uranus in virgo was in 8th house and saturn then in 2nd house. she was very poor before finding success as a writer.

byjove

Account Closed
Very interesting Caro!

Well she definitely exhibits the knowledge in her books. Did everyone see the list of characters and birthday next to them? Not the years, just months and days. They match the characters, while superficially (the Sun after all) but well nonetheless if you ask me.

Caro

Ravensclaw - you a big fan?!

in creative writing study books - they suggest using astrology to build characters. it is a good idea if you think about.

JKR - gives a lot to charity too. So her chart would reflect that and she is pretty private. not a typical Leo.

(Bellatrix is a star - so she used the names too)

Last edited:

byjove

Account Closed
LOL Yes I took the official JK test on Pottermore, the only place you can do it officially. And to my surprise, Ravenclaw!:joyful:

byjove

Account Closed
Yeah, Cancer or Virgo rising I would have thought. She shuns the limelight, she has few, but well-disguised objections to the celebrity lifestyle. She never comes across as offensive or harsh in that way, just that it doesn't interest her. If anyone has seen that special 1 hour documentary on the Half-Blood Prince DVD you'll see this being discussed. She was always hesitant with public events.

As we know, Cancer (like the Moon) reflects light, it doesn't show it off. With the Moon in Virgo, and Cancer rising, I can see that possibility. Maybe a double Virgo would be not her. I've Cancer rising/Virgo Moon 3rd house, everyone mistakes Virgo rising too.

Last edited:

LadyG

I immediately thought Cancer rising, as well. If you watch her Who Do You Think You Are biography (I think it's available online, Youtube perhaps), there's something definitely not Leonine about her - she seems softer, more private, emotional (tears, etc.), and approachable, yet well protected emotionally.

Also, she's a July Leo, whom I find to be more like Cancers than their August counterparts. Maybe that's coming into play, but intuitively - Cancer ascendant.

Cascada

I would be surprised if it were within her capacity to find out but that she didn't - she showed healthy respect for astrology in the Harry Potter books and even some of the non astrology details are compatible e.g. four types of main temperament. Cancer or Virgo rising I think. many of the documentaries revealed in her own words, disinterest in the celebrity lifestyle and not liking public attention, so modest too.

I don't think it was just astrology she was interested in. I think she was interested in numerology, too. She made references to the number 7 throughout her books, and I was curious to see whether her character names may have had that trend.. Here's some characters and their name numbers.

Tom Marvolo Riddle: 7
Voldemort: 7
James Potter: 7
Rubeus Hagrid: 7
Sirius Black: 7
Peter Pettigrew: 7
Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore: 7
Hermione Jean Granger: 7
And also "Ron Weasley" "Harry Potter" "Lord Voldemort" "Severus Snape" and "Lily Evans" add up to 11, which is another spiritual number in numerology.

... so yeah. It seems a little bit too coincidental :) I think she's made a hint there, for anyone who'd bother looking: Snape and Lily have their numbers in common, showing they share a commonality that Lily and James didn't. Harry shares his mothers number, showing he was more like her in personality.

JK is very thorough with her detailing. I can't believe she's not a Virgo :p

Also, if she was a Libra rising, it would explain why she reminds me so much of my mum. My mum is a Virgo sun/rising with a Virgo stellium in the 12th, opposing her Saturn in 6th like JK's... my mum shares a similar past to JK's :unsure: though no success story for my mum, not yet.

Last edited:

Andrea_

There was something really appealing to the Potter Universe for me... i enjoyed it when i was a kid, both the books and the movies, although they seemed a bit rushed after the 5th movie. Not to mention writing pages of RPG on a certain forum i really enjoyed & co, i also played Pottermore, but well, this big interest about the details wasn't only about HP and all... now the whole concept saddens me a little, i don't know why, but there's still something special aout it.

She mentioned in a few places about being interested and studying astrology before considering developping her characters' personalities. The books are full of such symbolism: the Centaur Firenze who introduced Harry to the idea of foretelling the future, the name of important characters inspired by the big fixed stars (ex: Sirius Black able to transform into a Dog; Bellatrix Lestrange; Pollux Black, Arcturus Black, Regulus Black; Andromeda Tonks; Cygnus Black & co), the 4 Hogwarts Houses and the Four elements, Witchcraft and the "stick, circle and triangle" symbolism and basically the books in themselves, with a lot of 8th/12th house matters, by definition. They still present a Piscean dreaminess and confusion sense i'd say, but it still doesn't get "blacker" than some books about war and human tragedies in my opinion (and i see the 12th House as less "black" or "intense" than the 8th one so Rowling having planets in the 12th might be as well a good supposition i'd say), well, these books still are mainly destined for the young ages... the plans of existence aren't as definitively shaped or heavy like those of Tolkien, although i still enjoyed a lot his books and Silmarilion too. It was something different, but able to wake up feelings inside the reader, more profound than other books because they touch subject that aren't usually easily touched.

On another note, now that i try it, i think it's a bit weird to see or analyse a book only from an astrological perspective, or even to concentrate mainly on it in life in general. There are so many other "planes" of existence to "investigate" and live in, at the same time even, that choosing only one instead of combining and working with them is equal to limiting yourself in a way (unless it's for a short period of time or has an important reason behind).

Well, going back to the topic, I'd vote for Virgo as her ASC in the end, or something Watery ;) Her ascension was dictated by a strike of luck (Jupiter conjucting something in her chart like the MC/NN as otherwise there are many squares), a lot of hardships behind (the oppositions to a retrograde saturn on an interesting degree and squares to Jupiter), persistance (unafflicted Mars able to operate on subtler levels as well) and imagination (well aspected Neptune in a more money oriented House or Saturn in the 2nd as someone stated?).
Mercury on Regulus in an interesting one there.

But what she also lacked in her life, as sources say, was a combination of emotional and financial stability of home. The chart on astrotheme shows Saturn in the 4th, and this might be a very sugestive aspect. Her Leo Sun doesn't seem to stand out too much, and seeing her chart, there aren't many aspects to it. The exterior is challenged, while internalisation gives more content feelings and, like in every Leo, there's an always present sense of happiness or desire or something good even thought he person seems "dry". Oh, well...

Last edited:

Nexus7

Her Moon is in Virgo. I wouldguess her Ascendant to be in Cancer - or possibly, Pisces. Without looking at the chart as a whole.

She surely has a very well-placed Jupiter.

Cascada

Her Moon is in Virgo. I wouldguess her Ascendant to be in Cancer - or possibly, Pisces. Without looking at the chart as a whole.

She surely has a very well-placed Jupiter.

She's just a month older than my dad, and 2 months older than my mum, so she shares a similar chart with them (at least with the generational planets). If I remember correctly, my mum has Virgo rising with Jupiter conjunct the MC.. that didn't do her any favours. But maybe it helped JK.
Idk... I know she has a Virgo moon but somethings telling me she's a Virgo rising, too. I think Cancer rising could suit her also, it would place her chart ruler in Virgo.. but I guess it comes down to whether she's more of a 12th house stellium type or a 3rd house stellium type?

Zarathu

Account Closed
http://oxford-astrologer.blogspot.com/2011/06/jk-rowling-perfect-writers-chart.html

Sandra Rozhon writes, 1/2001, "I e-mailed the agent of Joanne K.Rowling (author of the Harry Potter books) requesting her birthdata. A reply just came in that she wishes to maintain her privacy and does not want to provide the information." Sandy has a spec of 8:44 PM as well as a specific Lat/Long for Chipping Sodbury, 51N31 2W22, from an URL of the UK. (Some of us oldies remebmer Sandy from a forum she operated back in the 1990's)

This one says 4:00 am in /edinborough Scotland:

http://astrologyresearch.co.uk/j-k-rowling-world-famous-astrologer/

byjove

Account Closed
Zarathu, that was a very interesting read about J.K.

I'm always cautious where speculation of birth time is concerned, but even ignoring the time-specifics, it's all very illuminating.

BluEyedGrl105

I agree a watery ascendant seems likely.

She's said she never learned to drive because she's too much of a day dreamer. Sounds like Neptune on the Ascendant (Scorpio Rising) or in the third house (Virgo Rising, with the Moon near the ascendant.) That's my two cents.

Cascada

Lol but the same can be said about a lot of people. I dont drive, i have too much nervous energy to trust myself driving :p i'm a leo rising with my neptune/uranus conjunction in the 5th. And imagination is something we're all born with in some measure. I think her chart is either water house heavy or bottom heavy (or both).

BluEyedGrl105

Well, I didn't say it was a very educated two cents! :biggrin: But she jokes in interviews about not being aware of her surroundings pretty often. More importantly I like the other placements a Scorpio or Virgo Rising give.