Are you for or against gay marriage?

AppLeo

I am not prejudiced against gays. I just don't think we as a society need to re-define pre-existing concepts like marriage in order to accommodate gays.

If you want to think I am bigoted towards gays, so be it. They are a tiny minority in our societies and their desires should not dictate policies to the rest of us. Talk about the tail wagging the dog.

10% of the population is gay and probably more. Many traditional concepts need to get out. Accommodating would be so much easier for everyone instead of being stubborn over a silly definition.

wan

10% of the population is gay and probably more. Many traditional concepts need to get out. Accommodating would be so much easier for everyone instead of being stubborn over a silly definition.

You say the definition of marriage should be changed, I say it shouldn't.

Impasse.

Keep calling me and people like me "stubborn" though. I bet you win converts to your stance all the time with a tactic like this.

david starling

I am not prejudiced against gays. I just don't think we as a society need to re-define pre-existing concepts like marriage in order to accommodate gays.

If you want to think I am bigoted towards gays, so be it. They are a tiny minority in our societies and their desires should not dictate policies to the rest of us. Talk about the tail wagging the dog.
"Marriage" should be defined as being the romantic and civil union of two people in love who want to spend their lives together. "Traditional" marriage includes loveless, arranged unions, and that doesn't qualify as "marriage" by this definition. Gay marriage does.

wan

"Marriage" should be defined as being the romantic and civil union of two people in love who want to spend their lives together. "Traditional" marriage includes loveless, arranged unions, and that doesn't qualify as "marriage" by this definition. Gay marriage does.

You are free to think what the definition of marriage should be. The rest of us will use the traditional definition that we have always used.

It's normal under sharia law actually :)

oh god, you dont believe in sharia law do you?? i was talking to some isis belivers on twitter a couple years ago and they want me to pay extra tax for being a christian, which i think is ironically quite generous compared to their other such extreme methods. but the restrictive life as a isis wife sounds frightening...hhow can anyone be expected to live life as a household slave and baby maker. i mean, didnt you say about your sexuality on a previous thread as well - you would be thrown off the roof.

and yeah gay marriage is fine, you gotta roll with it, you gotta give people time to come round...generations of hierarchical suppression isnt easy to fix.

david starling

You are free to think what the definition of marriage should be. The rest of us will use the traditional definition that we have always used.

So, a loveless, arranged marriage is all right with you under your definition of marriage, even if the bride is being forced into it by dictatorial parents, or just avoiding the stigma of an out of wedlock pregnancy in a "marriage of convenience". Put it to a vote, and that will define who "the rest of us" really are--consensus opinion.

Last edited:

Bigstar

Banned
oh god, you dont believe in sharia law do you?? i was talking to some isis belivers on twitter a couple years ago and they want me to pay extra tax for being a christian, which i think is ironically quite generous compared to their other such extreme methods. but the restrictive life as a isis wife sounds frightening...hhow can anyone be expected to live life as a household slave and baby maker. i mean, didnt you say about your sexuality on a previous thread as well - you would be thrown off the roof.

and yeah gay marriage is fine, you gotta roll with it, you gotta give people time to come round...generations of hierarchical suppression isnt easy to fix.
Middle Eastern men are closet gays anyways so it wouldn't matter if I was interested in men :)

wan

So, a loveless, arranged marriage is all right with you under your definition of marriage, even if the bride is being forced into it by dictatorial parents, or just avoiding the stigma of an out of wedlock pregnancy in a "marriage of convenience". Put it to a vote, and that will define who "the rest of us" really are--consensus opinion.

What you described is not a common occurrence and is not representative of all marriages.

Bigstar

Banned
What's your definition of "Marriage"? What about polygamy? I'm going with the "two people" version, myself.
mar·riage
ˈmerij/
noun
the legally or formally recognized union of a man and a woman (or, in some jurisdictions, two people of the same sex) as partners in a relationship.
"a happy marriage"
synonyms: wedding, wedding ceremony, marriage ceremony, nuptials, union
"the marriage took place at St. Margaret's"
a combination or mixture of two or more elements.

One question at a time please, thank you :)

david starling

I am not sure about this. I am not very familiar with history. However you seem to imply that we should "check" every marriage to see if there is true love between the parties involved.

Well, "gold diggers" would would just lie and SAY it was true love! :lol: