Does the past and future always feel better?

retinoid

I have noticed that when conjuring up past experiences and future imaginings, I get more warm feelings associated with these events than I could ever get from just the present. Has anyone noticed this?

Moog

I prefer planning ahead, I'm not a nostalgist.

But no, not really. I feel best when I really get into 'the now'.

My mind seems to want to wander ahead. I put it on a leash

Prominent

I have noticed that when conjuring up past experiences and future imaginings, I get more warm feelings associated with these events than I could ever get from just the present. Has anyone noticed this?

I'm the opposite. I tend to get uncomfortable thinking about past experiences because I notice how I could've done things better. And for future imaginings, I am learning not to do it as much anymore so I can focus on what I can do now, because if I focus too much on the future I can get anxious if anything slightly goes off course in the present moment, or I get impatient, etc.
Although that being said, I think my future imaginings are feeling a bit better in general, maybe because I have a better grasp on what I want, etc.
But I guess it depends on what is being imagined/remembered, etc.. and also what mood im currently in.

retinoid

So everyone who replied admitted they felt living in their head in some way was better than dealing with the now...why is this? Do we have more control? Are things more exciting in our minds?

Prominent

So everyone who replied admitted they felt living in their head in some way was better than dealing with the now...why is this? Do we have more control? Are things more exciting in our minds?
I think you're mixing ideas but in general I feel it is all the same. Presence is a head-based thing too, pretty much everything is. Everything is also external. Looking in, while looking out. Looking out, while looking in. Where they cross is what gives the feeling. That's my opinion.

tautomer

I am exactly the same way.

I have chalked it up to being an idealist at my core. In my mind I will see things in the future in a light of perfection. Of course I remain realistic. I am more speaking of timing, the sounds, sites, and the mood of myself and others. Basically in my mind I can immerse myself completely. When it comes though, I can't do that. I can simultaneously immerse myself in my mind and experience the moment as it is. It's one or the other, and both have their drawbacks. I opt to experience, because if I remain in my head then I feel disconnected and the hindsight memory then becomes negative.

Past experiences seem to get colored with images and feelings that I didn't exactly feel, but felt I should feel. It's a sense of nostalgia really. As time goes by our memories refine themselves whether we are conscious of it or not, and we will condense them down. In doing so it layers things that often are not noticed while experiencing. For me music that I was into during the time period of past events are forever linked. When I listen to the song, it brings back the feelings, the thoughts, the moments, all at once. Everything feels "brighter" because things have been condensed down into something small, and we then experience in our mind, our memories as we idealized what they'd be like in the future.

retinoid

I am exactly the same way.

I have chalked it up to being an idealist at my core. In my mind I will see things in the future in a light of perfection. Of course I remain realistic. I am more speaking of timing, the sounds, sites, and the mood of myself and others. Basically in my mind I can immerse myself completely. When it comes though, I can't do that. I can simultaneously immerse myself in my mind and experience the moment as it is. It's one or the other, and both have their drawbacks. I opt to experience, because if I remain in my head then I feel disconnected and the hindsight memory then becomes negative.

Past experiences seem to get colored with images and feelings that I didn't exactly feel, but felt I should feel. It's a sense of nostalgia really. As time goes by our memories refine themselves whether we are conscious of it or not, and we will condense them down. In doing so it layers things that often are not noticed while experiencing. For me music that I was into during the time period of past events are forever linked. When I listen to the song, it brings back the feelings, the thoughts, the moments, all at once. Everything feels "brighter" because things have been condensed down into something small, and we then experience in our mind, our memories as we idealized what they'd be like in the future.

That's a good way of putting it I think!

NancyS

I love staring meaningfully into my cats' eyes. It's my favorite past, present, future moment :love:

Staring contests with cats are always fun...:smile:

Besides that, I feel more comfortable in the present moment, because 99.9% of the time there is no immediate threat.

When I do daydream, which is probably most of the time, I usually think about things that never have or never will happen.