a job: 6th versus the 10th house

IleneK

Premium Member
What is on my mind is the 6th vs the 10th house as the domain for jobs in general.

The more I read, it seems the 6th house refers to jobs where you work for someone else, sell your labor to them, versus the 10th, where you would perhaps have a business of your own, work for yourself, be beholding to no one else.

Do any members of the forum have an opinion about using the 6th vs the 10th to signify a job, when working for someone else?

Thank you.

byjove

Account Closed
If I understand your question properly, I certainly look to the 6th for 'work' and it's day-to-day connections but the 10th if a career is involved as well as the overall direction of working life for an individual, whether it comprises of work or professional movement. I totally agree that self-employment would be more strongly represented in the 10th than the 6th.

wintersprite1

Premium Member
The 6th house represents civil service (including the king's army)and servants, and health professionals. But, that would be in questions like.. is my maid honest. But the maid looking for her own profession should find it by looking at the 10th.

A reminder, this is the traditional forum, expect answers supported by traditional text.

Last edited:

aquarius7000

Hi
...The more I read, it seems the 6th house refers to jobs where you work for someone else, sell your labor to them, versus the 10th, where you would perhaps have a business of your own, work for yourself, be beholding to no one else....
The 6th house refers to people working under you; not you working under other people. The 7th house is people at par with you (=Asc)

The 10th house is all-encompassing when you talk about your own work, regardless of whether you are the cook in a restaurant or the owner of it. The 10th refers to work you do to earn your living in freedom (the 12th is bonded labour in terms of slavery). When you talk about business, etc, you would, amongst other things, look at the 2nd-8th axis in connection with the 10th house, and, of course, the placement of Venus in the chart.

:)AQ7

Last edited:

tsmall

Premium Member
What is on my mind is the 6th vs the 10th house as the domain for jobs in general.

The more I read, it seems the 6th house refers to jobs where you work for someone else, sell your labor to them, versus the 10th, where you would perhaps have a business of your own, work for yourself, be beholding to no one else.

Do any members of the forum have an opinion about using the 6th vs the 10th to signify a job, when working for someone else?

Thank you.

The 6th is the house of the people who work for you, not the work you do for other people. Traditionally the house of servants, you would find your auto mechanic, your plumber, or your own employees here if you were the boss. If you haven't already, I would suggest Deb Houlding's "Temples of the Sky" for house meanings...

dr. farr

My eclectic outlook:
-a career or executive or professional type of job = 10th house
-self-employment = 10th house
-as needed work, menial employment, "being a wage slave", also temporary "lower level (ie non-professuial, non career type) work" = 6th house
However, as the "general domain" for jobs, the 10th house...

Rajarshi

Thank you.

TENTH House ( KARMA/WORK) is the ACTION between SELF ( 1 H) & ALL OTHERS ( 7H).

SIXTH house ( being 9th) is the reason of TENTH ( KARMA/WORK) house & SECOND ( being 5th) is the result of the TENTH house.

SIXTH house signifies " satisfaction of sense organs", while TENTH house signifies our WORK in this life. If 2nd house is damaged, the native will not get the rewards/fruits of his work and vice versa.

The triangle formed by 10, 6 & 2 is called " MONEY TRIANGLE" [ Artho Trikona]

We need DHARMA ( Religion), ARTHO (Money), KAM ( Pleasures), MOKSHA (Liberation) in our life.

Regards

Rajarshi

greybeard

The Sixth can and does signify "me" working for "you."

It is the basic relation to superiors and inferiors through joint responsibility.

It is sheer labor or drudgery.

It denotes the struggle for a place in society, and is social disparity as a personal problem.

It shows misfit business or non-distinctive vocation.

Underprivilege in all aspects, it indicates organized labor.

The Sixth House is the Sixth of the First; it has the sorts of meanings listed above in reference to the native. It can be either your servant, or your position as a servant to another.

!4C

I managed to pick a professional career that was very much described by my 10th/mc connections. This was before I ever looked at astrology. Unfortunately, typical work environments for this career are not ideal for me as described 6th house. It makes the difference when it comes to being happy on day-to-day basis.

aquarius7000

Hi,

Rajashri, so, when in particular would you look to the 6th house for answers?
What kind of a question would it be that would make you look at the 6th house in a natal chart. Perhaps you could give us an example or two of the nature of questions, or name a subject/topic, so it would be easier for us to understand. Thank you for briefly enlightening us.

I am sure Vedic Astrology's stance would be nice to know for us :)

byjove

Account Closed
This has been an interesting look at the different schools of thought. It's changing the way I think about this.

If the work requires further (tertiary) education, would some automatically look to the 10th? I was going to mention skilled work, but it is possible to do skilled work that fits perfectly in the 6th; employee way.

If yes to the above ^^ would you recommend to friends/family/clients who are looking for work / a more satisfying working life, avoid the 6th in work terms, follow the 10th for guidance?

Claire19

The 6th house is our everyday labours and the way we get our food, shelter and clothing. If we are lucky it is also our vocation and career which does belong with the 10th house. If there are aspects from the 10th to the 6th, this is more likely. The 6th house is of service and employees. Someone with the Sun there may have a position of authority but will not reach the heights. I have a stellium there and the Sun in Leo but any really high managerial positions were always denied me. The rulers of both houses will add to the picture.

Rajarshi

Hi,

Rajashri, so, when in particular would you look to the 6th house for answers?
What kind of a question would it be that would make you look at the 6th house in a natal chart. Perhaps you could give us an example or two of the nature of questions, or name a subject/topic, so it would be easier for us to understand. Thank you for briefly enlightening us.

I am sure Vedic Astrology's stance would be nice to know for us :)

Thank you for your interest.

Wish to start a thread in Vedic section titled " Professional Configuration" within 2-3 days to discuss these points.

Please participate.

Best wishes

Rajarshi

PS: Will be attending a funeral due to office colleague's demise.

greybeard

Muhammad Ali is an example of 6th house strength. Hard work, dedication to training, willingness to do whatever is necessary...but of course his Sun there also contributed strongly to the MS in later life.

Konrad

Account Closed
I often hear the worst about the 6th house. Are there any positive attributes to a 6th house?

From a 'good-life-full-of-bliss' perspective, not really. Luckily, we live in a world which is not eternal though, so 6th house signfications are needed; without illness, most of us would just be sitting waiting for death eternally!

Any good of this house is in fact just the bad stuff turned away from the native. It might be good for you to have slaves/employees (the '/' is not needed in most cases), but for that slave it probably isn't the life they would wish upon themselves. Life has this knack of balancing itself out, hence we need to see the 'good' and the 'bad' in someone's life to make a fair judgement.

Having an important point in the 6th house doesn't mean an automatically unsuccessful life (Goebbels being a good example) but it does bring its fair share of problems (Goebbels for example). In real-life, some people have a bad time of it, this is something which we can't get around no matter how we try to twist the meanings of astrological houses.

Jesusistheway

Thank you.

6th house is a house in which its your boss. The person who hands you the check in the 1st house.

The 10th house is your avocation whether paid in the 6th house or not. That avocation can guarantee success if you find a link between them.

So for instance if there is a void between the 6th house and 10th house it probably means that you are void of finding out your source. But when the transit hits you will know. That transit must be now for you.

I could make money working for a female detective? or a gigalo? Can you guess my dynamic?

Its 10th house Scorpio and 6th house Cancer void.