Georgian and Victorian poets have a reputation for being hedonistic
and Samuel Taylor Coleridge was no exception
- famous for his poems, particularly Kubla Khan
and the
Rime of the Ancient Mariner
but his opium habit shocked society when it was revealed in 1822. :smile:
He wrote about suffering withdrawal symptoms when he ran out
this merely glamorized the use of drugs at the time
as he implied he was a poet whose inspiration relied on drugs.

Rime of the Ancient Mariner is one of my fav poems of all time!! Although I believe he got help from T.S Eliot as it started to take on a mind of its own.

JUPITERASC

Okay so you are arguing that drugs are good. Awesome. We clearly disagree.
Okay so you have not read all my posts
so here's a reminder....

Wearing a white coat and a stethoscope does not confer magical powers
Fact is ALL DRUGS ARE DANGEROUS
:smile:

Pharmaceutical drugs have horrendous side effects
use any search engine to confirm

Drugs of any kind = BIG MONEY

"street drugs" are dangerous simply because dealers mix the pure original ingredient
with various toxic elements to increase the apparent quantity being sold
in order to increase their monetary return on the sale

contaminated street drugs claim the lives of people worldwide daily
often by abscess or cellulitis formation.
Using dirty needles or injecting into unclean skin
may cause an infection of the subcutaneous tissues.
The infected tissues may become inflamed and swollen (cellulitis)
or may form a pus-filled pocket (abscess).
If left untreated, an abscess or cellulitis can lead to tissue death, amputation
or an infection that threatens your whole system.

Interactions with heroin additives.
Street-level heroin is not pure; it’s almost always cut with one or more additives.
Users who inject the drug are also injecting the substances used to dilute it.
When your body responds to heroin, it also reacts to the additives used to cut the drug.
In some cases, these reactions can be deadly

Most IV heroin users don’t know exactly what they’re shooting into their veins.
According to the Metropolitan Police Department of Washington, D.C.,
some of the adulterant substances that are added to street heroin include6
:

• Sugar or sugar substitutes.
  • Cornstarch or other starches.
  • STRYCHNINE – an extremely toxic substance used as a pesticide.
  • Quinine – a chemical used as a pain reliever and anti-malaria drug.
  • Fentanyl – a powerful synthetic narcotic painkiller.
  • Phenobarbital – a hepatotoxic sedative.
  • Caffeine.
  • Illicitly manufactured methaqualone.
  • Acetaminophen. http://luxury.rehabs.com/heroin-addiction/dangers/

david starling

Drugs are extremely negative for society. Intuitively, it would make sense to outlaw all of them, but I think that just makes everything worse.

I would make drugs legal because that would help reduce the black market and people would be able to obtain drugs that are actually safe to take. Plus, they would pay heavy taxes on those drugs, which is great because our country is in debt. Drugs on the street are very dangerous. The drug dealer doesn't care whether you live or die and would gladly sell you something that could kill you. I remember Oddity saying that there were places in Canada to smoke heroin in a safe environment. At first I thought it would ridiculous, but I think that's great because they won't endanger anyone else.

I think people should get away from drugs. They're useless and a waste of time. Some people say that marijuana doesn't negatively impact your health, so it's okay to take. But honestly, why take something because it's okay to take?? People can live very happy and functional lives without it and I don't see a point in smoking it. Why take an unnecessary risk?? It's like gambling your money – just don't even try it. I guess you could say that it's like alcohol. Having 1 or 2 beers at a party is fine and maybe it's the same has having a smoking session at a party with marijuana. The difference between alcohol and marijuana is that alcohol won't be laced with anything that could actually kill you except excessive consumption of the alcohol itself.

All the people that I know that have done drugs or smoked are idiots. Period. Every single one of them. They either have depression problems, need to escape, or just can't be like normal regular people. And that's fine, they can be druggy stoney losers – I just fear for those and myself who have to deal with them.

People who do drugs are unproductive, hold us back as a society, endanger themselves and other people with their very very poor decisions, and are generally retarded. The thought of someone driving and smoking marijuana is so ugly to me and it's so easy for that to happen. Getting high is lame. What's so cool about being light and silly and downright stupid? Yeah it feels good, but so do a lot of other things that actually don't reduce your cognition and mental capacity. I wish everyone that did drugs just dropped dead. May sound cruel, but they're going to die anyway so why not just get it over with?? They're a bunch of worthless freeloaders with absolutely nothing to give, except a big heavy fat burden on society.

I live in a pretty wealthy area. Most of the kids around me live in a bubble, so literally 9/10 kids have smoked or do marijuana on a daily basis. It's pretty sad because 2 months ago, some kids overdosed on a drug that they bought on the internet?? I don't even know why you would do that, but they were in middle school and they died after one use of that drug!!

And don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with medication drugs to help reduce the pain, but are you actually suffering from a medical decision?? Do you really need drugs to relieve your pain?? Stop being a baby and just take the pain. Everyone is so quick to take pain killers and other drugs to avoid the harsh realities of the world. Oh you have back pain?? Just take 10 pills you'll be good to go.

No. You'll just get hooked on those pills, so just leave them alone.

Life is a "medical condition", which is why most births occur in hospitals. And drugs can alleviate the condition known as "dying of boredom". Moderation, knowing what drugs are your allies and which are your enemies, and strict adherence to the "Right time and right place for everything" adage are a requirement for recreational drug use. Beware of pharmaceutical drugs--seek healthier alternatives, such as a change in diet, environment, activities, etc. before using pharmaceutical drugs to mask symptoms of potentially serious illness.

JUPITERASC

WILLIAM WILBERFORCE

150x150xdrugabuse-wikimedia-wilberforce.jpg.pagespeed.ic.f9D5gcxTsS.jpg

By Karl Anton Hickel

William Wilberforce is perhaps best known
for being the leader of movement to abolish the slave trade in Britain
but this social reformer wasn’t without his flaws :smile:
His use of OPIUM was originally used to relieve the pain of gastrointestinal distress
but in many ways, it would exacerbate the condition.
Ironically, the opium that provided him with pain relief
would be grown by slaves in many cases

JUPITERASC

And drugs can alleviate the condition known as "dying of boredom".
Instead drugs cause death by other means

for example :smile:

Most IV heroin users don’t know exactly what they’re shooting into their veins.
According to the Metropolitan Police Department of Washington, D.C.,
some of the adulterant substances that are added to street heroin include6
:

• Sugar or sugar substitutes.
  • Cornstarch or other starches.
  • STRYCHNINE – an extremely toxic substance used as a pesticide.
  • Quinine – a chemical used as a pain reliever and anti-malaria drug.
  • Fentanyl – a powerful synthetic narcotic painkiller.
  • Phenobarbital – a hepatotoxic sedative.
  • Caffeine.
  • Illicitly manufactured methaqualone.
  • Acetaminophen. http://luxury.rehabs.com/heroin-addiction/dangers/

JUPITERASC

Moderation, knowing what drugs are your allies
and which are your enemies
and strict adherence to the "Right time and right place for everything" adage
are a requirement for recreational drug use.
Beware of pharmaceutical drugs
--seek healthier alternatives
such as a change in diet, environment, activities, etc.
before using pharmaceutical drugs to mask symptoms of potentially serious illness.
Avoid pharmaceutical drugs - they all have side-effects :smile:

JUPITERASC

Someone just said that people with drug problems
AND mental health issues should drop dead.

But hey, let's ignore that part.
Thanks for highlighting that remarkable comment :smile:
I notice there was no mention of any rationale by that person
for their somewhat extreme perspective

AppLeo

I'm sorry of being harsh; I didn't mean to say for druggies to drop dead.

I've just known a lot of people that did drugs that took, used, and abused people because they never wanted to fix their drug problem and they most likely never will.

If you're hooked on opiates or heroin then you'll just destroy everyone around you.

Thanks for highlighting that remarkable comment :smile:
I notice there was no mention of any rationale by that person
for their somewhat extreme perspective

Well I'm glad someone else rather than me is shocked.

Unfortunately I've received warnings for reacting too heatedly in the past, which is a shame because that type of thinking should be stopped in its tracks and a more compassionate, forgiving view instilled. But nope.

And it confuses me because anyone who needs help is thankful when they receive it, so why not show the same compassion to others who need help? But it's far too common in this world to see the opposite and it sickens me.

May life humble those people.

I'm sorry of being harsh; I didn't mean to say for druggies to drop dead.

I've just known a lot of people that did drugs that took, used, and abused people because they never wanted to fix their drug problem and they most likely never will.

If you're hooked on opiates or heroin then you'll just destroy everyone around you.

Sometimes it's ok to admit you don't know what you're talking about.

JUPITERASC

And don't get me wrong,
there's nothing wrong with medication drugs to help reduce the pain
but are you actually suffering from a medical decision??
Do you really need drugs to relieve your pain??
Stop being a baby and just take the pain.
Everyone is so quick to take pain killers and other drugs to avoid the harsh realities of the world.
Oh you have back pain?? Just take 10 pills you'll be good to go.

No. You'll just get hooked on those pills, so just leave them alone

Exactly :smile:
and then there's Psychiatry
Psychiatry: The Marketing of Madness:
Are We All Insane?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFkivsEy3CI

AppLeo

I'm really sorry about what I said.

I just don't have an opinion on drugs anymore. Just forget everything I said.

Drugs have never impacted me or my family in a negative way, so I'm ignorant on the subject.

JUPITERASC

Well I'm glad someone else rather than me is shocked.

Unfortunately I've received warnings for reacting too heatedly in the past,
which is a shame because that type of thinking should be stopped in its tracks
and a more compassionate, forgiving view instilled. But nope.

And it confuses me
because anyone who needs help is thankful when they receive it,
so why not show the same compassion to others who need help?
But it's far too common in this world to see the opposite and it sickens me.

May life humble those people.
Life humbles us all in time :smile:

I too have been castigated and had numerous posts deleted for "being too heated"
to be fair though perhaps more of my posts could be deleted
there are so many

I just don't have an opinion on drugs anymore. Just forget everything I said.

Drugs have never impacted me or my family in a negative way, so I'm ignorant on the subject.

I know drugs cause a lot of problems and hurt. Sometimes the drug addicts aren't the only or 'real' victims. But there doesn't need to be a final answer, sometimes allowing yourself to be confused leads to greater understanding like realising that maybe they are taking drugs because they can't be normal, regular people. It's ok to be on the outside if society. Just because you are not operating at full capacity, just because you are broken...it does not mean you are not fixable or loveable....don't use your leadership qualities to condemn people.

AppLeo

I know drugs cause a lot of problems and hurt. Sometimes the drug addicts aren't the only or 'real' victims. But there doesn't need to be a final answer, sometimes allowing yourself to be confused leads to greater understanding like realising that maybe they are taking drugs because they can't be normal, regular people. It's ok to be on the outside if society. Just because you are not operating at full capacity, just because you are broken...it does not mean you are not fixable or loveable....don't use your leadership qualities to condemn people.

I don't have leadership qualities and I don't know anything. Just please forget everything I said.

I didn't realize what I was saying was stupid.

JUPITERASC

I just don't have an opinion on drugs anymore.
Just forget everything I said.

You are nevertheless entitled to hold an opinion
even if you have no experience on the topic
that does not mean stating your perspective is disallowed
after all it happens constantly regarding astrological matters :smile:
meanwhile back at the ranch....
I am happy to learn that neither you nor your family have been impacted negatively by drugs
and long may that situation continue for you and your family

An excellent current example of the impact of "sunstance abuse" on a family
is President Elect Donald Trump who DOES NOT TAKE DRUGS and does not drink alcohol
because TRUMP learned a difficult lesson
http://www.inquisitr.com/3329397/donald-trumps-dead-brother-freddy-trump-was-an-alcoholic-hated-the-donald/

when
despite wealthy family
and
privileged background
Trumps elder brother died tragically of alcohol abuse
Donald Trump 'never drank alcohol' due to brother Freddy's deathhttp://news.sky.com/story/donald-trump-never-drank-alcohol-due-to-brother-freddys-death-10662157
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/03/u...p-lessons-from-a-brothers-suffering.html?_r=0

JUPITERASC

I don't have leadership qualities and I don't know anything.
Just please forget everything I said.

I didn't realize what I was saying was stupid.
Many of my comments are stupid but that does not prevent me from posting them :smile:
That's how I learn
by discussion
do not fear being stupid and.or being thought of as stupid

What you said is not necessarily "stupid"
instead perhaps it is based on lack of personal experience
which often leads to ignorance on a topic
if I may say so
without being considered "heated"