Mercury aspects/placement and rumination, anxiety

obsidianmineral

I was curious, does Mercury affect our everyday thoughts? I feel like I constantly am thinking, endlessly reflecting on absolutely everything: my own thoughts, feelings, beliefs, the shape of the things I see, patterns in people's behaviour and in my own, the way I talk, the way I'm perceived by others in real time, the conversations I have with others, my own habits, my deeper feelings, the way feelings and thoughts synchronize, how actions affect feelings, patterns, whether or not there's free will, etc. It's a never-ending process of introspection, I think it makes socializing harder for me. It was always hard, but nowadays it's easier, I guess I just stopped listening to insecurities and tried to be secure about myself regardless of how I came across. However, over-thinking is definitely a pattern that I've always followed even if socializing's easier now. I've been doing this non-stop for years and it has only gotten more intense. The way I perceive everything, my obsession with finding the truth about absolutely everything, really heightening my awareness on many things. It has made me question if I'm going nuts at times. I've thought so intensely at times that I've had trouble sleeping, especially if I'm trying to meditate right before bed. All my body relaxes but my mind keeps at it, and I just observe how every other part of my body is asleep, but I'm still conscious.

I haven't had any problems with depression, but I did have OCD patterns as a kid, like obsessing over mental health problems to crazy lengths. My obsessive thinking has lately helped me with experiencing sudden realizations, ephiphanies. However, as of late I've been wondering whether I should stop thinking so much all the time.

My :mercury: is in :pisces: in the 9th house cusp, stationary I believe. Makes a :sextile: with :venus: in :taurus: in the 10th, but doesn't have any other aspects. I've got :mars: in :scorpio:, which may be related to all of this obsessive thinking. My :pluto: aspects the :sun: with a :trine:. Are any of these aspects related to my borderline obsessive thinking? How do other Mercury placements affect people's thoughts and feelings?

Last edited:

conspiracy theorist

Have you investigated the nature of stationary planets in the natal chart? They rise in prominence as the effect is akin to a brandishing iron. So if you have a stationary Mercury, you are much more mercurial than your chart might indicate at first blush. This means that an already active mind would be cranked up in its intensity.

That's one of a myriad influencers on your Mercury, but since it's often overlooked (or not even known) I'd think it would be fruitful to bring it to your attention if you haven't learned about it already.

obsidianmineral

Have you investigated the nature of stationary planets in the natal chart? They rise in prominence as the effect is akin to a brandishing iron. So if you have a stationary Mercury, you are much more mercurial than your chart might indicate at first blush. This means that an already active mind would be cranked up in its intensity.

That's one of a myriad influencers on your Mercury, but since it's often overlooked (or not even known) I'd think it would be fruitful to bring it to your attention if you haven't learned about it already.

I've looked into it, but I did kind of forget of how important it is in a chart. I was looking more about Mercury in Pisces, and in some ways it really describes me! I am sometimes very chatty and sometimes I'm not, it really depends on whether I manipulate myself into being social or would rather think all day. I am better than average at interpreting poems and literature, based on my experiences in school and with classmates. My dad is a writer and has told me I've got his talent, so that's another plus. I feel like I'm good at writing poems myself. I really like music and sometimes get really into it, I immerse myself in the feeling of the song and its lyrics. I've got good grammar and try to analyze the meaning of every word. My brother has Mercury in Gemini and unsurprisingly is quite good at math, and thanks to him I'm good too. I'm not really someone who reads though, I usually look for information online about things that spark my interest.

david starling

Obs, are you still in school? School requires "thinking on demand", and you could be unable to turn off your thought processes for that reason. Also, is Mars in Scorp trining it?

obsidianmineral

Obs, are you still in school? School requires "thinking on demand", and you could be unable to turn off your thought processes for that reason. Also, is Mars in Scorp trining it?

Yeah, I'm currently in college. I usually don't pay much attention, I've had many problems with discipline because everything's way too easy. I've also had periods of extreme discipline, but they're usually short lived. Although there was that one time I was very disciplined for about 8 months in high school, because it was really hard back then. My Mars in Scorpio doesn't trine Mercury though.

conspiracy theorist

Going based on memory, I can see where your poetic sensibility might come from - the prominence and state of your Venus, the prominence and sign of your Moon are some that come to my mind. Moon is also a literary planet (metaphor and imagination are its language) , and it's house position is interesting in regard to the comment your father made about you inheriting his gift. Also note the sign of your Moon in regard to Mathematics.

Another thing that struck me about the position of your Mercury is the fact that it is oriental to the Sun. Dane Rudhyar had a series on the phase of Mercury and it's effect on the mental orientation of the individual. Based on your placement your mind would be classed as "promethean" which indicates a more future-oriented and anticipatory kind of mentality. "Experience led by the mind" Read more here - https://www.khaldea.com/planets/merc_pd.shtml

Last edited:

CapAquaPis

I have a Mercury in 9th-Pisces and Venus in 10th-Aries, both are astrologically linked to mental problems, disorders and illness. I have mild/high-functioning autism, mild anxiety and mild depression...and was tested for ADD, OCD and Tourette's. My Mars placement is in Virgo conjunct Jupiter, Saturn and Lilith... not a good stellium when it is also opposite Mercury, while Venus squares my Cancer ascendant and that sign rules my Moon conjunct sun in 8th-Aquarius.

obsidianmineral

Going based on memory, I can see where your poetic sensibility might come from - the prominence and state of your Venus, the prominence and sign of your Moon are some that come to my mind. Moon is also a literary planet (metaphor and imagination are its language) , and it's house position is interesting in regard to the comment your father made about you inheriting his gift. Also note the sign of your Moon in regard to Mathematics.

Another thing that struck me about the position of your Mercury is the fact that it is oriental to the Sun. Dane Rudhyar had a series on the phase of Mercury and it's effect on the mental orientation of the individual. Based on your placement your mind would be classed as "promethean" which indicates a more future-oriented and anticipatory kind of mentality. "Experience led by the mind" Read more here - https://www.khaldea.com/planets/merc_pd.shtml

All of this is really interesting. Thanks for your output conspiracytheorist, I will look more into Mercury stationary. Also, about that page you linked, there's always an obscure website with pretty interesting information! Are there any other sites you'd recommend for researching these topics? I only know about skyscript right now.

Edit: Also, guess I forgot about this, but my :mercury: is in a quincunx with my :moon:, with an orb of 19 minutes! So it's really close. Oh, and with my :northnode: as well. My :northnode: therefore sextiles my Moon.

Last edited:

obsidianmineral

I have a Mercury in 9th-Pisces and Venus in 10th-Aries, both are astrologically linked to mental problems, disorders and illness. I have mild/high-functioning autism, mild anxiety and mild depression...and was tested for ADD, OCD and Tourette's. My Mars placement is in Virgo conjunct Jupiter, Saturn and Lilith... not a good stellium when it is also opposite Mercury, while Venus squares my Cancer ascendant and that sign rules my Moon conjunct sun in 8th-Aquarius.

Interesting! What aspects does your Mercury have with other planets?

conspiracy theorist

All of this is really interesting. Thanks for your output conspiracytheorist, I will look more into Mercury stationary. Also, about that page you linked, there's always an obscure website with pretty interesting information! Are there any other sites you'd recommend for researching these topics? I only know about skyscript right now.

Edit: Also, guess I forgot about this, but my :mercury: is in a quincunx with my :moon:, with an orb of 19 minutes! So it's really close. Oh, and with my :northnode: as well. My :northnode: therefore sextiles my Moon.

Here are some websites that I can think of off the top of my head -

sevenstarsastrology.com
theinnerwheel.com
astrology-x-files.com
astrologyresearch.co.uk

greybeard

Everyone thinks incessantly. You are unexceptional in that regard. The eastern religions use the monkey as a symbol of mind, never quiet or still.

It is possible,however, to quietly observe the constant train of thoughts without involving the self in them. When that happens amazing things can follow.

JUPITERASC

I was curious, does Mercury affect our everyday thoughts? I feel like I constantly am thinking, endlessly reflecting on absolutely everything: my own thoughts, feelings, beliefs, the shape of the things I see, patterns in people's behaviour and in my own, the way I talk, the way I'm perceived by others in real time, the conversations I have with others, my own habits, my deeper feelings, the way feelings and thoughts synchronize, how actions affect feelings, patterns, whether or not there's free will, etc. It's a never-ending process of introspection, I think it makes socializing harder for me. It was always hard, but nowadays it's easier, I guess I just stopped listening to insecurities and tried to be secure about myself regardless of how I came across. However, over-thinking is definitely a pattern that I've always followed even if socializing's easier now. I've been doing this non-stop for years and it has only gotten more intense. The way I perceive everything, my obsession with finding the truth about absolutely everything, really heightening my awareness on many things. It has made me question if I'm going nuts at times. I've thought so intensely at times that I've had trouble sleeping, especially if I'm trying to meditate right before bed. All my body relaxes but my mind keeps at it, and I just observe how every other part of my body is asleep, but I'm still conscious.

I haven't had any problems with depression, but I did have OCD patterns as a kid, like obsessing over mental health problems to crazy lengths. My obsessive thinking has lately helped me with experiencing sudden realizations, ephiphanies. However, as of late I've been wondering whether I should stop thinking so much all the time.

My :mercury: is in :pisces: in the 9th house cusp, stationary I believe. Makes a :sextile: with :venus: in :taurus: in the 10th, but doesn't have any other aspects. I've got :mars: in :scorpio:, which may be related to all of this obsessive thinking. My :pluto: aspects the :sun: with a :trine:. Are any of these aspects related to my borderline obsessive thinking? How do other Mercury placements affect people's thoughts and feelings?
I have highlighted petosiris detailed information
on the HELLENISTIC delineation of MERCURY :smile:

.........Mercury completes 46 sidereal cycles and 145 synodic cycles with 46 years.
It has retreating arcs of 12 degrees for 20 days.

Mercury is alternating between moistening and drying, and common. Stilbon makes those born under it sallow, of moderate height, graceful, with beautiful eyes, moderately curling hair, having excess of moist when morning rising, and light, with straight hair and olive complexion, lean and spare, glancing brilliant eyes, somewhat ruddy, having excess of dry when evening rising, and in general, youthful and athletic, articulate, versatile, intelligent, tricky, busy, curious and efficient. Mercury controls law, intelligence, speech, reason, commerce, youth, education, writing, games, disputation, brotherhood, interpretation, messengers, numbers, calculation, geometry, deception, theft, community, exercise, service, profit, inventions, attendance, athletics, wrestling, hearing, declamation, certification, supervision, weighing and measuring, testing coins, versatility, critical thinking, judgement, marketing, banking, temple builders, modelers, sculptors, doctors, teachers, lawyers, orators, philosophers, architects, musicians, diviners, dream interpreters, sacrificers and augurs, astrologers, prophets, braiders, weavers, weight lifters, gamblers, mimes, sleight of hand, methodical work, military strategy, labour contracting, rhythmic performance, authority, luxury, renting, display of public service, irregular and disturbed outcomes with malefics, the vestibular system, the gustatory system, the auditory system, currency, copper, varied colours and pungent tastes.

It is chronocrator over childhood up to the 14th year.

Bibliography:
Robbins, F. E. (1940). Ptolemy: Tetrabiblos. William Heinmann, London. Retrieved from http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Ptolemy/Tetrabiblos/home.html
Valens, V. Anthologia. Translated by Mark Riley. Retrieved from https://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/Vettius Valens entire.pdf
Everyone thinks incessantly. You are unexceptional in that regard.

The eastern religions use the monkey as a symbol of mind, never quiet or still.

It is possible,however, to quietly observe the constant train of thoughts

without involving the self in them.
When that happens amazing things can follow.
as GB mentions

for anyone to experience incessant thinking is common and not unusual
and so
meditational guidance classes are the norm

Harmelia

Can you post your birth day, birth time and birth city? I will comment once I have your chart. Otherwise, it's too much speculation that may or may not apply to you with the info you've given.

CapAquaPis

Interesting! What aspects does your Mercury have with other planets?

What about Mercury square Neptune (6th Sagittarius)? Then the closeness of Mercury near my Sun/Moon conjunction (8th Aquarius)? And Mercury opposite a Mars Saturn conjunction, but the planet Jupiter conjunct Mars right next to Saturn reduces my aggressive tendencies associated with this conjunction.

Lin

Edit:" Also, guess I forgot about this, but my Mercury is in a quincunx with my Moon , with an orb of 19 minutes! So it's really close. "

THIS.

BUt if you want more info, please post your chart.

LIN