'Simple' clarification needed regarding aspects amongst predictive charts...

Since everyone was so kind to answer my question ab aspects from transiting planets to other transiting planets, I will post another question that has been irking me. I've scoured the boards, but can't find an answer that makes sense to me. I can be quite dense sometimes. Lol :p

I've read several books on predictive astrology, but when it comes time to delineate I become a heaping mess of confusion.

I've got the basics (I think!). You need the following:
New/Full Moon transit sign and house info (including eclipses here)
Progressed to Natal aspects within 1 degree
Transits to Natal within 1 degree
Transits to Progressed within 1 degree
(Yes, I realize there are other predictive charts. But, for right now these are the ones I'm concerned with)

Here's where I get lost...

My main question is what aspects 'activate' other aspects?

Say you have P.Neptune Trine N.Sun 13'... does that mean that any aspects in orb that involve P.Neptune are highlighted (I assume the same would apply to the N.Sun?)?

Thank you in advance for answering this question and offering any personal knowledge/ experience... I'm sure it's something simple I'm missing. Lol! :p

Phoenix Venus

nice avi :)

yeah, it just depends how many aspects a planet is getting, across the charts... the more aspects that one planet is making, especially from outer planets, the stronger you will feel the effects...

for isntance your example of p.neptune and n.sun....

if nothing else is going on with either of the planets, the effect won't be that strong....

(in this case nep trine sun could point to sensitive or creative expression, or confusion about self-expression)

now say t. venus is transiting over neptune....

now it might be a little more likely that the person would do something creative during that time...

if you are just starting out i wouldn't worry too much about new/full moon stuff.... transits and progreessions when combined with natal is probably the best place to start.... one step at a time, keep it simple.. that's how you will learn and actually be able to relate it to real world events without getting too much confusion..

Phoenix Venus

also consider that conjunctions and oppositions will usually manifest more strongly, namely conjunctions. so those are the most important to consider.

and you have to relate it back to the natal.

for instance if a planet is "weak" in the natal, transits and progressions to that planet won't be as strong as if it is strongly placed in the natal.

one way to easily learn about transits and progs is to just keep track of what is going on with the strongest planet in the chart.

if you do this, in time, you will start to see it, and then be able to look at other planets more easily so that it can all come together.

if you don't know how to calculate strength in a natal, let me know i will give you a list of what to look at.

or just go to www.astro.com and look at the color horoscope. it tells the order of strength. i find that one to be pretty accurate for the most part.

remember: when learning, always keep it simple and work your way up.

Last edited:
Thanks Phoenix Venus :smile: That helps a lot! The point ab planets across the board and number of aspects really makes sense. The question that comes up for me is whether or not aspects to [X] planet, so long as it's within orb, causes the concentrated effect that causes manifestation or is based more on concentration of aspects to that planet going exact near the same time that causes the manifestation?

Regarding planet strength, I've made a dispositor tree and I've also ranked the planets in my chart based on aspect patterns, nearly exact aspects, as well as dignities and debilities. I would be very interested to see your list though! Goodness knows my method is probably different, and you have more experience. It'll at least offer me a fresh approach.

Phoenix Venus

Hmm.. i don't really know if i am the one to answer that question because as far as i am aware, things don't always work exactly... so it could be either/or.... i would think that if multiple planets hit exactness at the close time, the effect would be stronger..

Here's a planet strength calculator that i came up with some time ago... it's probably not perfect but it is good enough:

- Conjunct the axis (Ascendent, IC, Decsendent, MC) within 8 *: 10 points

- Singleton by Element, Quality, Hemishpere, or is a Cutting Planet: 9 points

- Is the sun or moon, or Conjunct the sun or moon within 10 * (not combust) : 8 points

- The ruler of the ascendant : 7 points

- Is combust : -6 points

- Conjunct 2 or more planets within 8* : 6 points

- In dignity or exaltion : 4 points

- in detriment or fall: - 4 points

- Rules sun or moon: 4 points

- in first, 4th, 7th or 10th house: 3 points

- In natural home: 2 points

- At critical degree: 2 points

- Receiving a planet: 2 points (4 if mutual reception)

- Add 3 points for every major aspect within 2 *, 2 points for every major aspect within 4*, and 1 point to every major aspect to every planet within 6* (might want to consider maelific/benefic planets and stress/harmonious aspects here and add/subtract accordingly)

-Add two points for each planet in it's corresponding sign and 1 point for every planet in it's corresponding house

JUPITERASC

Another useful way to calculate strength

Lilly's Table to Examine the Strength & Debility of Each Planet Essential Dignities and Essential Debilities
wh.gif
wh.gif
wh.gif

In own sign or in mutual reception with another planet by sign +5
In Detriment -5
In exaltation, or mutual reception by exaltation +4
In Fall -4
In own triplicity +3
Peregrine -5
In own terms +2

In own face +1

In the 10th or 1st house +5
In the 12th house -5
In 7th, 4th, or 11th house +4
In the 8th or 6th house -2

In the 2nd or 5th house +3

In the 9th house +2

In the 3rd House +1

Direct in Motion +4

Retrograde -5

Swift in Motion +2

Slow in Motion -2

Saturn, Jupiter, Mars when oriental +2
Saturn, Jupiter, Mars when occidental -2

Mercury, Venus when Occidental +2
Mercury, Venus when oriental -2

Moon increasing in light (waxing) +2
Moon decreasing in light (waning) -2

Free from combustion and Sun's beams +5
Combust (within 8°30' of Sun) -5
Cazimi (within 0°17' of the Sun) +5
Under Sun's beams (within 17° of the Sun) -4
Partile conjunction with Jupiter or Venus +5
Partile conjunction with Saturn or Mars -5 Partile conjunction with North Node +4
Paritle Conjunction with South Node -4
Partile trine with Jupiter or Venus +4
Beseiged of Saturn and Mars -4
Partile sextile with Jupiter or Venus +3
Partile opposition with Saturn or Mars -4
Conjunct the fixed star Regulus (29°40 Leo) +6
Partile square with Saturn or Mars -4
Conjunct the fixed Spica (23°40 Libra) +5
Conjunct the fixed Algol or within 5° (26°04 Taurus) -4

sourced from Part 5 of a series of FREE information articles
UNDERSTANDING PLANETARY DIGNITY AND DEBILITY
http://www.skyscript.co.uk/dig5.html :smile: