Latitude or Declination for Parallels?

david starling

I notice that many are using Declination (relative to the Celestial Equator) instead of Latitude (relative to the Ecliptic, our astrological plane of measurement). The latter makes more sense to me. Any opinions?

david starling

Another question: Since it's the plane of the Ecliptic we're using for Charts, wouldn't the strength of ANY placement be affected by its being close to that plane or widely above or below it? The Sun, all the planetary nodes, the Angles, the Equinoctial points, and the points of the Earth's Perihelion and Aphelion are always on the Ecliptic. But everything else is translated onto the Ecliptic using Lines of Celestial Longitude perpendicular to the Equatorial plane. Should wide latitude be a factor in the case of ascertaining the strength of an individual placement, Aspects aside?

Last edited:

petosiris

Banned
Another question: Since it's the plane of the Ecliptic we're using for Charts, wouldn't the strength of ANY placement be affected by its being close to that plane or widely above or below it? The Sun, all the planetary nodes, the Angles, the Equinoctial points, and the points of the Earth's Perihelion and Aphelion are always on the Ecliptic. But everything else is translated onto the Ecliptic using Lines of Celestial Longitude perpendicular to the Equatorial plane. Should wide latitude be a factor in the case of ascertaining the strength of an individual placement, Aspects aside?

Other things take precedence, though higher planets are generally better higher (northern in the northern hemisphere). Mars, however, rejoices southern in the northern hemisphere. As for aspects, Ptolemy says only with conjunctions since aspects hit the Earth's center at the exact same point.

david starling

Other things take precedence, though higher planets are generally better higher (northern in the northern hemisphere). Mars, however, rejoices southern in the northern hemisphere. As for aspects, Ptolemy says only with conjunctions since aspects hit the Earth's center at the exact same point.

That sounds like Declination.

JUPITERASC

What do you guys have to say about Regulus and Sirius??
I think they're super cool fixed stars :biggrin:
The problem is that I haven't seen much information regarding them.
Could anyone give me some insight??
In my chart, both Regulus and Sirius
seem

to be quite prominent.
Regulus conjuncts my Moon, Mercury, and North Node.
Sirius Conjuncts my descendent and Mars.

View attachment 60019
conjunctions to fixed stars are noticeable when conjunct by LATITUDE and/or DECLINATION
and not solely by Longitude :smile:
"additional tables pdf" above top left of astro.com chart
provide latitude as well as declination and longitude
REVISION :smile:

On mulling that statement over
although longitudinal conjunction only is accepted by modernist astrologers
fixed star "conjunction" is in fact not entirely longitudinal
because
majority of fixed stars are BEYOND the ECLIPTIC aka apparent path of the Sun
and
to have any notable influence natally
fixed stars require "conjunction" by LATITUDE and/or DECLINATION as well as longitude

declination2.gif

Traditional astrologers use PARANS
PARANS IS LOCATION SPECIFIC :smile:

Some stars will have no effect at certain latitudes
because the star cannot be seen at that latitude.
There is also curtailed passage
in which stars transcribe a circle around the globe yet never touch the horizon.
They make their own circle but never rise and never set.
Bernadette Brady explains
that stars with a curtailed passage of motion
are more extreme in their meaning
than those stars that do touch the horizon line.
Orbs are kept tight, less than 00° 30′.
You can read a longer explanation about parans on Star Logos.
There is an animated map on The Way the Sky Appears to Move: Diurnal Motion and Parans.

Figure34.gif

david starling

Looked it up. "Sopdet" was the ancient Egyptian name for the star now known as Sirius, and was associated with a goddess, and with the flooding of the Nile, vital to Egyptian agriculture. But in ancient Greece, its appearance coincided with the Summer heat, so they named it Seirios, meaning "glowing" or "scorcher". The Romans changed it to "Sirius", much to the amusement of many. :smile:

petosiris

Banned
I suppose we shouldn't make light of the brightest star in the night sky.

The ancient Egyptians looked at the heliacal rising of Sirius to predict the conditions of the year, but Ptolemy advises everyone to look at the syzygy most nearly preceding the seasonal turning for each season. In Ptolemy's mundane astrology, the heliacal risings and settings of the fixed stars play a minor role in the ''day by day'' conditions of the weather (see also Ptolemy's Phases of the fixed stars). Thus, the heliacal rising of Sirius for each location would bring a dog day, all cold factors of the syzygy aside. :smile:

Last edited:

petosiris

Banned
''the Dog who brings fire upon the entire universe...''

''But when the lion of Nemea lifts into view his enormous gaping jaws, the brilliant constellation of the Dog appears: it barks forth flame, raves with its fire, and doubles the burning heat of the sun. When it puts its torch to the earth and discharges its rays, the earth foresees its conflagration and tastes its ultimate fate''

''When the Dogstar rises over the rim of the sea, which at its birth not even the flood of Ocean can quench, it will fashion unbridled spirits and impetuous hearts ; it will bestow on its sons billows of anger, and draw upon them the hatred and fear of the whole populace. Words run ahead of the speakers; the mind is too fast for the mouth. Their hearts start throbbing at the slightest cause, and when speech comes their tongues rave and bark, and constant gnashing imparts the sound of teeth to their utterance. Their failings are intensified by wine, for Bacchus gives them strength and fans their savage wrath to flame. No fear have they of woods or mountains, or monstrous lions, the tusks of the foaming boar, or the weapons which nature has given wild beasts : they vent their burning fury upon all legitimate prey.'' - Goold, G. P. (Ed.). (1977). The Loeb Classical Library.: Manilius, Astronomica. Harvard University Press.

Siriusly :smile:

Last edited: