Can 2 planet prohibit each other?

chappygirl

Hi,

I am looking at a chart where 2 significators, Mars at 22°gem and Saturn at 26°sagg are applying by opposition.

Venus, at 17°aries is prohibiting the opposition since she gets to Mars before Mars gets to Saturn.

Venus will then apply by trine to saturn, translating the light from Mars to Saturn and thus uniting the 2 significators she previously prohibited from aspecting each other.

However, this is where I am unsure: by degrees, Mars gets to Saturn before Venus does. if I understand Mars has no more light/power to perfect its aspect with saturn, does its body still prohibits the Venus/Saturn application? :andy:

Last edited:

tripleooo

I don't understand how Venus and Mars prohibit each other in your example. The sequence of events is as follows:

May 28 - Mars perfects opposition with Saturn
June 1 - Venus perfects trine with Saturn
June 9 - Venus perfects sextile with Mars

There is no prohibition, as far as I can understand.

Venus, at 17°aries is prohibiting the opposition since she gets to Mars before Mars gets to Saturn.

That's just factually wrong, Venus gets to Mars after Mars gets to Saturn. So Venus doesn't prohibit anything. It's not a good idea to always rely on the distance of degrees, you have to calculate what will be going on later.

Last edited:

tripleooo

OH yes indeed, rechecking the ephemeris, i got mixed up. my bad :)

now, outside this example, can this happen?

I think it can only happen when the planet turns retrograde after having prohibited the aspect between the other two. Like, when Venus is applying to the conjunction with Jupiter, but Mercury overtakes and perfects the aspect first with Venus and then with Jupiter. After that Mercury can turn retrograde and begin applying to the conjunction with Jupiter again, which Venus can prohibit. But Mercury is always slow in motion before and after turning retrograde, so I don't know if it can actually surpass Venus, which stays swift in motion during the entire time.

Even though it's certainly an interesting and unusual situation, I don't think it's very useful in horary. A horary chart is a "shot" of the sky at a particular moment, so we can only see one prohibition at a time. They can't happen simultaneously.