Books on Astrology?

surrealsuburb123

I'm young and I've been learning a bit about Astrology online from different forums, websites, etc...

But I really would like to go more into detail. I think books would help me learn a lot more, but I'm not sure where to start.

Are there any good books on Astrology that will help me learn more about the technical parts of it? Something that I can start off with. I've got some basic knowledge, but I'd like to learn more about the fundamentals before I get into the interpreting aspects of it.

I'm 14 and I don't know anyone irl who knows much about Astrology, and I won't be able to take courses on it anytime soon (parents will not permit), so a lot of what I have/will learn will/probably been/be auto-didactic. I'd like some good resources to learn from, and I figured you guys would know some great ones. :joyful: :smile:

dr. farr

Tsmall's recommendation is, probably, the best English language book on the basics of Traditionalist astrology; I agree with this recommendation, but would also add the books of Charles Carter (one of the pioneers of Modernist astrology) as an excellent source for beginners, and as a foundation upon which a more Traditionalist approach could well be constructed. I would recommend the following books, in order of study, by Carter:
-first, "Principles of Astrology"
-then, "The Astrological Aspects"
-next, "The Zodiac and the Soul"
-and finally, the more advanced "Some Principles of Horoscopic Delineation"
For continuous references, I would add Manly P. Hall's "Astrological Keywords" and N. Devore's "Encyclopedia of Astrology", for looking up terms, finding succinct descriptive delineations, meanings, etc.

Will the books of Carter clash with the Traditionalist book recommended? In my opinion, no, not really (except that Carter accepts the outer planets, in a conservative and reasonable manner in my opinion, whereas these have no place in Traditionalist methodology: other than this, I believe the Carter books will not clash with the Traditionalist book recommended above)

JUPITERASC

A very important book - "The Anthologies" - was published so long ago that it is now out of Copyright so anyone can read it, download it and print it out for FREE at this link http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/Vettius%20Valens%20entire.pdf

It was written by practicing astrologer and astrological historian Vettius Valens whose motive was to preserve the astrological techniques of his predecessors so he chronicled the work of astrologers from at least three hundred years before he was born. So it's a foundation stone of current astrology :smile:

JUPITERASC

I'm young and I've been learning a bit about Astrology online from different forums, websites, etc...

But I really would like to go more into detail. I think books would help me learn a lot more, but I'm not sure where to start.....

I'm 14 a
nd I don't know anyone irl who knows much about Astrology, and I won't be able to take courses on it anytime soon (parents will not permit), so a lot of what I have/will learn will/probably been/be auto-didactic. I'd like some good resources to learn from, and I figured you guys would know some great ones. :joyful: :smile:
There are links to gazillions of free books written by recognised reputable astrologers which are now out of copyright so they are free to read online AS WELL AS articles to read for FREE at http://www.skyscript.co.uk/books.html pre-view those before you decide what interests you most :smile:

ginger

Does somebody have some things about traditional astrology? Not Frawley please, whatever else.. Lily or the other his interpreters?

tsmall

Premium Member
Tsmall's recommendation is, probably, the best English language book on the basics of Traditionalist astrology; I agree with this recommendation, but would also add the books of Charles Carter (one of the pioneers of Modernist astrology) as an excellent source for beginners, and as a foundation upon which a more Traditionalist approach could well be constructed. I would recommend the following books, in order of study, by Carter:
-first, "Principles of Astrology"
-then, "The Astrological Aspects"
-next, "The Zodiac and the Soul"
-and finally, the more advanced "Some Principles of Horoscopic Delineation"
For continuous references, I would add Manly P. Hall's "Astrological Keywords" and N. Devore's "Encyclopedia of Astrology", for looking up terms, finding succinct descriptive delineations, meanings, etc.

Will the books of Carter clash with the Traditionalist book recommended? In my opinion, no, not really (except that Carter accepts the outer planets, in a conservative and reasonable manner in my opinion, whereas these have no place in Traditionalist methodology: other than this, I believe the Carter books will not clash with the Traditionalist book recommended above)

On The Heavenly Spheres, Helena Avelar and Louis Ribeiro. As someone who just started learning traditional astrology not that long ago, this book is a very good beginning place simply because the way it is written makes the basic concepts easy to grasp. As a complete book on traditional astrology it is lacking, and I disagree with several of the ideas presented, but my point is that after reading/studying this book I was able to move on to and comprehend much more indepth books.

Coffee

Banned

But I really would like to go more into detail. I think books would help me learn a lot more, but I'm not sure where to start.

Are there any good books on Astrology that will help me learn more about the technical parts of it? Something that I can start off with. I've got some basic knowledge, but I'd like to learn more about the fundamentals before I get into the interpreting aspects of it.

I'm 14 and I don't know anyone irl who knows much about Astrology, and I won't be able to take courses on it anytime soon (parents will not permit), so a lot of what I have/will learn will/probably been/be auto-didactic. I'd like some good resources to learn from, and I figured you guys would know some great ones. :joyful: :smile:

I've just written a FREE book, and it's very technical. Just your thing.

Includes how to predict the sports results, soul mates, natural disasters, birth, death, and also the basics of astrology. It's only 12,500 words long.

Here is the link.

http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59210

surrealsuburb123

Thank you all for your suggestions. I have written down a list for the next time I go to a book store.

But, can these books be found in any book store? Or are some only found exclusively online or at a certain store?

I've heard that some people mix traditional and modern methods. Is it possible to mix traditional and modern Astrology together effectively?

've just written a FREE book, and it's very technical. Just your thing.

Includes how to predict the sports results, soul mates, natural disasters, birth, death, and also the basics of astrology. It's only 12,500 words long.

Here is the link.

@Coffee
I'm interested in reading it, but, I sparsely give out my email. Do you think it would be better to post the book online, like make a website and advertise or just upload it there?

If not, then here's a suggestion that would help make it easier to access.

If it is written on a word document, then save it again as a PDF file. Then open up the PDF on Adobe Reader. Make an Acrobat account for a Adobe Reader. Then you can go to the document and find the icon with the two people and the paper and click on it. Then you can click "Upload Documents to Acorbat.com". It will download it and upload it to the website. It should take you to the document on the website. Then there's an option at the bottom which gives you the option of making it available to people with an Acrobat account, or publicly even if they don't have an account. You would want it to make it so it is public, then get the link of the page and paste on to a post, or wherever.

:smile::smile:

tsmall

Premium Member
Thank you all for your suggestions. I have written down a list for the next time I go to a book store.

But, can these books be found in any book store? Or are some only found exclusively online or at a certain store?

Most of them not. I've found even the big book stores have a very limited stock of astrology books--and you cannot even buy an ephemeris there. I usually order from amazon.com.

I've heard that some people mix traditional and modern methods. Is it possible to mix traditional and modern Astrology together effectively?

Yes, and some do it quite effectively. The idea in my opinion is to understand the tradition, and then incorporate the modern (the other way around is more difficult.) But first to understand. :smile:

JUPITERASC

Just get the book and read it :)
It's only a short book anyways.
WHY? My library contains books by well known astrological authors e.g. Bill Meridian's book on Earthquake prediction and more available at http://billmeridian.com/books_and_publication.html- most authors offer a synopsis of the contents - particularly if the book is free :smile:
He's offering it free to everyone by email.
So get it simply because it is free... from a totally unknown author... when there are FREE online astrology books on all those subjects by authors with an established reputation. btw since you are recommending it ZARATHU did you get your copy then as yet and if so perhaps you can tell us more about the contents - that should be ok since it is free in any event? :smile:

Last edited:

tsmall

Premium Member
This

I don't have acrobat reader. It costs.

You can just as easily create a fake e-mail account, and get it sent there!

Easy!

after this

:pinched: