Eris vs. Eros

Jesusistheway

Is Eris and Eros the same thing? Im surprised astrodienst doesn't let you search for eros? So I figured they were the same? What does Eris represent? I have Eris conjunct Eris with someone.

Lenzites betulina

Eris is a dwarf planet, discovered January 5th 2005 and given the name "Eris" on September 13, 2006. It has a highly eccentric orbit of 557 years and is speculated to be slightly larger in size than Pluto. Since Eris's orbit is so slow, it is not uncommon to have your natal Eris conjuct somebody else's Eris. For instance, Eris was in 8 degrees Aries in 1957, 15 degrees Aries in 1987, and 21 degrees Aries today, in 2013. This means that if you are born within a given amount of years as another person, your Eris will be conjunct thiers. It is a generational influence.

When determining the importance or prominence of Eris in a chart, look for direct planetary contact and house placement. Make sure to interpret the contact with consideration as to whether or not the planet contacting Eris is a personal planet or an impersonal planet. The speed at which the planet seen contacting Eris is a vital consideration as to how Eris energies will manifest in one's life.

Eris is the name of the greek goddess of Discord, well known for exposing the vanity of venusian ways...or as our rather vain culture prefers to view the scenario, Eris is the "b*tch" responsible for "instigating" the trojan war.

The story goes as follows:

In a nutshell, Zeus threw a wedding party for Peleus and Thetis, to which all of the gods and goddesses were invited, save Eris, due to her reputation as the goddess of discord. The exclusion didn't sit right with Eris, so she threw a golden apple into the site of the party. It was inscribed, "To the most beautiful." Upon seeing this, a bunch of rather superficial goddesses made asses of themselves fighting over who gets the apple. Zeus was petitioned to be the judge, but, knowing better than to get involved, he declined and appointed Paris, a mortal, to step in his place. Eventually, it came to a contest between Hera, Athena, and Aphrodite. Hera and Athena came to offer their own respective bribes to win the favor of their young judge, while Aphrodite took advantage of the situation and bribed the young judge with the most beautiful woman on earth. The lusty young man took Aphrodites offer, and she helped him seduce Helen of Sparta, wife of King Menelaus. Thus began the trojan war.

Mind you, it was not Eris who caused the war. It was the vain reactions of the other Gods and Goddesses that started it. Eris only threw the apple. If anybody is to blame, it would be Aphrodite.

Unfortunately, just as Eris doesn't get invited to wedding partys because the other gods are fearful of her, Eris has a pretty bad reputation amongst most modern astrologers who are only in the beginning process of speculating her influence. When reading about Eris in greek mythology, it is wise to remember that the exploits of this trickster contain higher morals, generally not readily accepted or seen by the status quo. In general, the lack of this realization of is the cause of the strife Eris is known for.

Eros is an asteroid orbiting the sun mostly between the orbits of Earth and Mars. Eros is the son of Aphrodite. His roman counterpart is cupid. He is the greek god of love and desire(lust). Eros, erogenous, and erotic, are all related words.

Last edited:

!4C

I think it should be Eris vs. Pluto.

It seems like these two have a lot in common when it comes to the psychology aspect (willful, manipulative, jealous, vengeful, ect.). It was first called Xena, which says a lot. If they were people, I imagine they would feel strongly drawn to each other due to a common spirit but would never get past the conflict of their natures. This kind of tension often creates a competitive relationship that can be a little extreme. Let's not forget eris started all the ruckus that ultimately got pluto demoted.

Eros, on the other hand, seems more connected to romance of the 5th house.

RisingSag

hahaha, I love what you wrote about Eris and Pluto! You've made some great points! I've read lots of literature on Eris over the years, and that asteroid is often compared to Zena the Warrior Princess! I think that's great! I got them opposing in my chart and I think that Eris is very independent, and rebels against Pluto's struggles for control over .... everyone and everything.