When do you consider a planet well-aspected ?

Alitta the Archer

I will take my 6th house Saturn for example :
Saturn Trine Moon
Saturn Trine MC
Saturn Sextile Mars
Saturn Square Mercury
Saturn Square Pluto ( Generational)

So some people say that my Saturn is strong and well-aspected but others say it's not. So how you determine if a planet is " strong/well-aspected" or not ? Is it based on the number of harmonious and tense aspects it makes to all planets/angles ? Or is it related to how the planet ( in my case SATURN) aspect other personal planets instead of outer ones ?

Krewster

I'm with you on implied discounting of generational aspects and also don't even analyze/label aspectual health of any planet beyond Mars.

Back to your question, there's likely too many factors at work to make on what you decide to focus in reaching a decision wrong (or right). For example, I would look primarily to orbs to decide whether your mentioned trine and sextile outweigh the square (if needing to come up with a well vs. poor overall label).

Lin

Showing your chart (tropical-placidus format, please) would be helpful in seeing the overall strength and weaknesses of each planet...not only Saturn. Saturn is just one planet, important as it is....but it is part of a map...and one must see the whole map to know where one is - and by the way, the strength of a planet can change with transits. So listing aspects isn't the way to find the real story.
LIN

Alitta the Archer

Showing your chart (tropical-placidus format, please) would be helpful in seeing the overall strength and weaknesses of each planet...not only Saturn. Saturn is just one planet, important as it is....but it is part of a map...and one must see the whole map to know where one is - and by the way, the strength of a planet can change with transits. So listing aspects isn't the way to find the real story.
LIN

Ok, here is my chart if you want a deeper insight.

Attachments

• My Natal Chart.jpg
    My Natal Chart.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 37

Zarathu

Account Closed
Please PM me the data that provides your Birth chart. I will not share it with anyone, nor will I share the chart.

If you don't want to go that far, then please give me the longitude and latitude of your birth.

Z

Claire19

I will take my 6th house Saturn for example :
Saturn Trine Moon
Saturn Trine MC
Saturn Sextile Mars
Saturn Square Mercury
Saturn Square Pluto ( Generational)

So some people say that my Saturn is strong and well-aspected but others say it's not. So how you determine if a planet is " strong/well-aspected" or not ? Is it based on the number of harmonious and tense aspects it makes to all planets/angles ? Or is it related to how the planet ( in my case SATURN) aspect other personal planets instead of outer ones ?
I would want to know how close the aspects are but Saturn with the Moon, MC, IC, Mars and Mercury is strong. Yes definitely. I don't use Pluto.

I have a sixth house Saturn too. It is well placed there as it is the planet of hard work and ambition in a house of everyday work. I would have to see the whole chart to comment further. You can anonymise it and load it, if you wish. Planets in their natural houses and signs are stronger. If the planet is strongly aspected, both challenging and flowing. If it is the chart ruler, connected closely to the north node by conjunction. All these factors make a planet strong.

:smile:

Last edited:

Alitta the Archer

I've already attached my birth chart in a previous post on this thread.
As you can see all of my Saturn-aspects are applying except for the one he makes to Mercury (Separating) and Saturn is almost parallel to my Moon.
I have a Minor grand Trine with Saturn ( in Aquarius/fixed) + Moon ( in Libra/Cardinal) + Mars ( in Sagittarius/Mutable). These three planets are harmoniously connected and they also form a small talent triangle.
I wonder how can this minor trine triangle affect my character overall.

Last edited:

greybeard

I second Lin.

WHOLE CHART, WHOLE CHART, WHOLE CHART.

Your left eye is not unconnected to your right foot. Your heart is not unrelated to catching the bride's bouquet at Cousin Nellie's wedding. And Saturn exists in union with the rest of the chart. Judging whether a planet is well-aspcted or not should take into account its relationship to the chart as a whole.

If a horoscope is supposed to represent a whole person and their whole life, then doesn't it follow that, like the person it represents, it must be treated as a unified whole?

Secondarily, I question the wisdom of summarily discounting a Saturn-Pluto square as "generational" out of hand. Depending on orb allowed, on the individual motions of the two planets, and particularly mundane position, accidental dignities...etc., the square of these two planets may figure prominently in the individual chart, may even be predominant in the personality and life.

Saturn was square Pluto, allowing an orb of 6 degrees and sharing Quality, from about Feb 1993 to June 1993, and again (second phase of same square cycle) from Aug 93 to Feb 94....ten months, during the entire transit of Pluto through Scorpio, a 12-year period. During the times of effective square it was sometimes applying, sometimes separating, and one planet or the other, perhaps both, were retrograde. Meanwhile other planets came and went and made important supporting conjunctions or aspect to this pair. Not only that, but both planets were in domicile during this period, and quite likely were brought to power through rulership at different times. Add to this the dramatic changes in mundane position during the diurnal cycle, and you end up with huge variations in the significance and power of this square between any two individual charts for the whole period. Generational????

Let's take a random example from this period, say 8 Dec 1993 at 2325 GMT. What we find is that Pluto, who is in his own sign of Scorpio, rules Jupiter, who is in the same sign. Jupiter rules a 4-planet stellium in Sagittarius, including Venus who rules the Moon in Libra. Meanwhile, Saturn is in his own sign of Aquarius and rules the remaining planets in the chart. Saturn and Pluto are co-dispositors of the chart. The two, together, are a predominant force in the life and joined by square. Add to this the fact that Jupiter and Saturn are on antiscion degrees, giving the two a strong connection and tying the co-rulers (through Jupiter's intercession) together. [In fact, activation of the antiscions by any important planet stimulates the whole chart to action...Jupiter disposes the Sagittarius group and Saturn the rest of the chart.]

In my little cow town in Idaho, Saturn is in the Tenth House, 12 degrees east of the Meridian Angle (with Pluto cadent.} That is a pretty strong accidental (mundane) position. It bestows power on Saturn.

If we were to move the place of birth to someplace like Tunisia, (holding to our birth time of 2325 GMT) we would find both Saturn and Pluto cadent. But in Katmandu Pluto is rising and Saturn nearly on the Nadir, both strong but with the Plutonian influence a bit stonger due to its rising (and weight of disposition).

I would be grateful to Alitta if she would explain what she means by generational, in some depth if it's not too much trouble.

Whether a planet is well-aspected or badly-aspected in not a matter of day and night. There is a continuum from good to bad, and the pointer may fall at any place along that scale. Type of aspect, its orb, whether applying or separating, dignity/debility of planets involved, house...etc., should be considered in weighing the individual aspects, as well as the cumulative effects. The responsibility for judgment falls on the astrologer. If you use sound astrological reasoning, and have reasons for your judgment (rather than guessing) you won't be far off. And in any case, it is perfectly legitimate to adjust your judgment to fit the facts as you find them.

Last edited:

Krewster

Points well taken Greybeard and no disrespect to the gods intended.

Also, I hope you share my concern about people freaking out concerning transitory or natal aspects among transpersonals, while ignoring tons of so-called minor aspects involving a personal planet tighter than say 2 degrees (there's typically 15 to 20 of these, typically half of them tighter than one degree).

Since Alitta didn't provide birth details, I reverse engineered everything but the place (and so only aspects have been accurately displayed) and found 5 semi-squares tighter than 2.20 orb and one zero-orbed un-decile (Sun to Nept) all of which deserve at least as much attention as her 1.11 orbed Sat 90 Pluto.

Lin

Hi Alitta,
I'm used to looking at a chart with actual degrees of each house cusp and planet on the chart.
It is much harder to read the way you posted it.
In other words the format is distracting and might discourage some from taking time with it
LIN