Degrees: Masculine, Femine, Lucid, Smokey, Dark, Void, Deep, Azemene, Increase f.

A Yian

Hi, everyone
This is a thread for the different classifications of zodiac degrees. I hope you can help in clarifying which of them is the better...

The oldest classification of degrees that I know is F. Marternus’s list. They have some flaws —as you can see—: some missing degrees in Virgo and Scorpio, and 31 degrees in Cancer, Leo and Virgo…

28r37ys.jpg

These are the pitted and elevated degrees of Ib Ezra and Al Biruni
28w2tcj.jpg

5p3jw5.jpg

These are the full classification of Bonatti and Lilly, I had assumed that their lists were much more similar.
2vb31us.png

14j12eb.jpg

As you can see, There are very few similarities. What authors you trust?

And one last thing. Can someone post the complete lists of Ibz Ezra?
Thank you

Last edited:

Oddity

The rest I can't speak to with any authority, but ibn Ezra's degrees were set for the year 1148 CE, or 5908 in the Jewish calendar. He wrote at some length about how they would have to be adjusted based on the positions of the fixed stars, which do move, albeit slowly.

All of which can be found in the Book of Reasons. In the first iteration of the text, after the explanation, we have:

But if he wants to pass astrological judgment by the method of the shapes [i.e., the zodiacal constellations], the bright and dark degrees, and the pits (so-called because they are very dark stars, as if a man had fallen into a pit), this year, which is the year 5908 he should subtract eight whole degrees. The positions of the large stars in each zodiacal constellation, mentioned in Reshit Hochmah, are given according to the method of the scholars who rely on experience and is the position of these stars in this time [i.e., in 1148].

In the second iteration of Book of Reasons, he says to subtract 8.5 degrees, but the two iterations contain enough differences that they were probably composed in different years.

He gets into a few of the controversies around corrections, but the important point is that the various types of degrees are based on the position of fixed stars, and since the fixed stars aren't completely immobile, you will need to correct for whatever year you're in.

conspiracy theorist

The rest I can't speak to with any authority, but ibn Ezra's degrees were set for the year 1148 CE, or 5908 in the Jewish calendar. He wrote at some length about how they would have to be adjusted based on the positions of the fixed stars, which do move, albeit slowly.

If that is the case then what is the most up to date tables for the degrees? Is it Lilly's?