Meditation help

JUPITERASC

Someone said this to me once..."If you are going to pray don't worry, and if you are going to worry don't pray."

Always stuck with me.
quote-if-a-problem-is-fixable-if-a-situation-is-such-that-you-can-do-something-about-it-then-dalai-lama-34-88-76.jpg

Chrysalis

Okay Chrys is on one ....:w00t:

Have you ever been trying so hard for a result, where your trying so hard and in turn get attached to the desire/result/outcome of what you want to happen.

Then most times out of frustration you'll be like phuck this, im done with this, i'm not even trying anymore...and then the frustration of wanting a result goes away after a few days/weeks, and then..... we find the desire manifests sometime afterwards because you have let go of the desire. :andy:

This has happened to me so many times, you gotta learnt to let go.

JUPITERASC

Okay Chrys is on one ....:w00t:

Have you ever been trying so hard for a result, where your trying so hard and in turn get attached to the desire/result/outcome of what you want to happen.

Then most times out of frustration you'll be like phuck this, im done with this, i'm not even trying anymore...and then the frustration of wanting a result goes away after a few days/weeks, and then..... we find the desire manifests sometime afterwards because you have let go of the desire. :andy:

This has happened to me so many times, you gotta learnt to let go.
1d0dc7d25b259872db4b75088920752b--restoration-life-s.jpg

JUPITERASC

Time is very precious.

Do not wait until you are dying
to understand your spiritual nature :smile:

If you do it now
you will discover resources of kindness and compassion

that you didn’t know you had.
~ Chagdud Tulku Rinpoche

22853308_1240922606012589_1251575621421616752_n.jpg

Blaze

Account Closed
Wow, does he look like a guru or what?! Do you meditate?

Hahaha, I meditate every morning or on my days off. I can spend almost any amount of hours in meditative silence and stillness (oftentimes OM chanting), hence the idea I had of becoming a Monk at one point. The hours never feel like hours though.

Have you actually done this?
How has it helped you?

Oh yes, Chrissy, I do it every chance I get. Meditation is by far the greatest journey one can undertake. Even the hike to Mount Kailash is made small in comparison.

Saying how it helped me would be placing people in a situation where they either believe me or not - both options are quite terrible. So I will say, Meditation is meant to be experienced. Practice it, little by little and then you'll know how much it can do.

Glad to see you around. :biggrin:

chris10

Hahaha, I meditate every morning or on my days off. I can spend almost any amount of hours in meditative silence and stillness (oftentimes OM chanting), hence the idea I had of becoming a Monk at one point. The hours never feel like hours though.

Oh yes, Chrissy, I do it every chance I get. Meditation is by far the greatest journey one can undertake. Even the hike to Mount Kailash is made small in comparison.

Saying how it helped me would be placing people in a situation where they either believe me or not - both options are quite terrible. So I will say, Meditation is meant to be experienced. Practice it, little by little and then you'll know how much it can do.

Glad to see you around. :biggrin:
I have tried it in the past.
I felt it was a waste of time.
That's why I was wondering how you experienced it.

Blaze

Account Closed
I have tried it in the past.
I felt it was a waste of time.
That's why I was wondering how you experienced it.

Stillness is difficult for the ever-moving mind, I know. But why is it that doing nothing with the body or mind is so difficult? Separating the external from the internal is the most difficult aspect of meditation. Especially when we go on letting the mind rule the body (which it will do if left unchecked).

Was the hard part the sitting part?

chris10

Stillness is difficult for the ever-moving mind, I know. But why is it that doing nothing with the body or mind is so difficult? Separating the external from the internal is the most difficult aspect of meditation. Especially when we go on letting the mind rule the body (which it will do if left unchecked).

Was the hard part the sitting part?

Yes. It was unbelievably hard for me in the beginning. But then, I just didn't see the point. I feel much more useful being practical offering my couple spare hours helping family, friends or working extra time with students helping them achieve their goals. It relaxes me, calms my soul, makes me feel useful.

What I am asking you is what benefits you feel meditation has offered you/is offering you.
I am not saying that meditation is wrong or useless; I'm just asking what the benefits are.

Blaze

Account Closed
Yes. It was unbelievably hard for me in the beginning. But then, I just didn't see the point. I feel much more useful being practical offering my couple spare hours helping family, friends or working extra time with students helping them achieve their goals. It relaxes me, calms my soul, makes me feel useful.

What I am asking you is what benefits you feel meditation has offered you/is offering you.
I am not saying that meditation is wrong or useless; I'm just asking what the benefits are.

Heh, I know what you're asking, teach. Being useful is what every human desires I dare say. Even the "useless" ones find ways to be useful, an example would be this homeless man who begs all day and gives his earnings to charity.

But in the end, if being useful is what determines happiness, then that source of external happiness will lead to suffering when one cannot be useful any longer(Age, accidents, disease can see to that). Meditation is the journey into the self to learn infinite joy and bliss that exists within each human being. External happiness should only add to our happiness, not determine it.

So it is in this that it has helped me, Chrissy. The happiness I feel when, say, volunteering at the local soup kitchen only adds to joy.

If that sounds like bullsh!t then, let me tell you, I said I dislike putting people into positions of belief or disbelief. :lol:

chris10

Heh, I know what you're asking, teach. Being useful is what every human desires I dare say. Even the "useless" ones find ways to be useful, an example would be this homeless man who begs all day and gives his earnings to charity.

But in the end, if being useful is what determines happiness, then that source of external happiness will lead to suffering when one cannot be useful any longer(Age, accidents, disease can see to that). Meditation is the journey into the self to learn infinite joy and bliss that exists within each human being. External happiness should only add to our happiness, not determine it.

So it is in this that it has helped me, Chrissy. The happiness I feel when, say, volunteering at the local soup kitchen only adds to joy.

If that sounds like bullsh!t then, let me tell you, I said I dislike putting people into positions of belief or disbelief. :lol:
So how does meditation benefit you?
Are you saying it relaxes you?
Can you describe the feeling?
Send a PM if you don't want to be open about this on here.

Blaze

Account Closed
So how does meditation benefit you?
Are you saying it relaxes you?
Can you describe the feeling?
Send a PM if you don't want to be open about this on here.

It's no secret, heh.

I don't know what depression or suicidal thoughts are anymore. Used to have those daily as my mind could not comprehend how cruel society is in reality. "Why do humans treat each other how my mind says they shouldn't?" was the question that caused such thoughts, attachments made by an overly strong yet undisciplined mind.

Aside from lamenting how horrible humans treat one another at times, my mind was also upset with the fact that nothing lasts forever. No matter how good, nor bad, nothing external will last, so why bother doing anything for anyone?

I now have the happiness and detachment to do things in this world, try to aid others as best as I can and live, happily, with the knowledge that no matter how much good one does in the world today, tomorrow it can and most likely will change.

There is more, but meditation is a personal journey and words don't do it justice. Try getting into it again, Chrissy. Doesn't need to start off with that video I posted, can just be breathing exercises in start.

chris10

It's no secret, heh.

I don't know what depression or suicidal thoughts are anymore. Used to have those daily as my mind could not comprehend how cruel society is in reality. "Why do humans treat each other how my mind says they shouldn't?" was the question that caused such thoughts, attachments made by an overly strong yet undisciplined mind.

Aside from lamenting how horrible humans treat one another at times, my mind was also upset with the fact that nothing lasts forever. No matter how good, nor bad, nothing external will last, so why bother doing anything for anyone?

I now have the happiness and detachment to do things in this world, try to aid others as best as I can and live, happily, with the knowledge that no matter how much good one does in the world today, tomorrow it can and most likely will change.

There is more, but meditation is a personal journey and words don't do it justice. Try getting into it again, Chrissy. Doesn't need to start off with that video I posted, can just be breathing exercises in start.

So meditation is the means to help you find inner peace. I respect that.

I use praying.
It makes me stronger. I had become an atheist but that proved to be the worst period in my life. As soon as I restored my faith, I became stronger. No crutches, no depression.
Actually according to psychology praying is meditation. The technique differs.

Love you. :joyful:

Blaze

Account Closed
So meditation is the means to help you find inner peace. I respect that.

I use praying.
It makes me stronger. I had become an atheist but that proved to be the worst period in my life. As soon as I restored my faith, I became stronger. No crutches, no depression.
Actually according to psychology praying is meditation. The technique differs.

Love you. :joyful:

Interesting. Prayer usually means that hands together pose, which is known as "Namaskar." Haven't read too much about Namaskar yet, but it's a way of balancing energies (from what I remember) and giving other human beings happiness when looking upon them whilst doing it. I could be wrong though, so don't quote me just yet. :p

752bbaa3c830e48feb9c7853bacb5b2b--tolerance-quotes-mahatma-gandhi.jpg

Love you too, Chrissy. :biggrin:

chris10

Interesting. Prayer usually means that hands together pose, which is known as "Namaskar." Haven't read too much about Namaskar yet, but it's a way of balancing energies (from what I remember) and giving other human beings happiness when looking upon them whilst doing it. I could be wrong though, so don't quote me just yet. :p

752bbaa3c830e48feb9c7853bacb5b2b--tolerance-quotes-mahatma-gandhi.jpg

Love you too, Chrissy. :biggrin:

Thank you :love:

P.S. I'm more into Christianism though so :biggrin:

Ukpoohbear

I’ve been getting an overwhelming feeling of shame and guilt and it is quite upsetting while it lasts. It brings me closer to having an intense experience but I was too scared so I stopped the meditation. I am confident when closing and that calms me.