Dasa Chidra

Crystalpages

Hi,

There seem to be two views about what constitutes as 'chidra'. First and possibly commoner view is that it is the transition period when one mahadasha ends and another one begins. The premise underlying this is interesting. If we think of the vimshottari dasha, for instance, it is calculated based on the placement of natal moon in a certain nakshatra. This determines the dasha at birth. Let us suppose it is one of the nakshatras of jupiter. The entire span of the nakshatra of jupiter would represent the 16 years of Jupiter dasha as assigned in scriptural texts (such as B.P.H.S.). If moon is at a point in the nakshatra about 1/4th in it, then the remaining 600 minutes yet to be travelled (each nakshatra is 800 minutes or 13d 20m long) would represent 12 years of jupiter yet to be experienced by the nativity. Thereafter will come dasha of saturn (19 years) and mercury and so forth.

One can conceptualize a vimshottari dasha as the 'progression' of natal moon, from the point at birth through remaining lifespan. One can also appreciate that unlike western progressions which ascribe a constant velocity of progression, in dasha progression, moon progresses at variable velocities, covering the same span (800 minutes) in six years in nakshatras of sun, ten years in those of moon, sixteen years in jupiter nakshatras, and so on.

Dasa chidra, therefore can be visualized as the point where the progressed natal moon leaves one planet's nakshatra and moves into the nakshatra of another planet, next in the chain of nakshatras. The KP subs are also connected to this concept by extrapolating and translating the vimshottary bhukti into the KP sub.

Moon is the indicator of mind (manas) and as it changes nakshatras, the influence under which it operates changes and so adjustments in thinking, attitudes etc must change to remain in harmony with our astrological rhythm.

In actual observations in older people who have experienced a few dashas, there is not always a huge problem or even drastic change seen. In others, there is! Here comes the need for considering factors such as different sources of strength, placement and attributes of the dasha lords and a variety of ancilliary modifying conditions and factors that constitutes the general infrastructure and framework of jyotish delineations. In short, one size does not fit all.

If exploring this rather interesting facet of jyotish, one must remain mindful of the troublesome (potentially!) reality of choices of ayanamsha which can shift the dasha ending and next one starting (chidra or hole or gap or simply transitional zone).

Hope this helps you somewhat.

Regards,

Rohiniranjan

suhasg

I agree.

I started with Ketu Dasha (birth time) and then progressed through Venus, Sun, Moon. Mars and currently in Rahu. For every Dasha change (Ketu-> Venus, Venus->Sun etc), I had experienced some big events, major life transformations. I have observed that there is a 3-6 months’ zone (depending upon the time spans of Dashas involved) during Dasha changes wherein one can experience such transformations.

Crystalpages

I agree.

I started with Ketu Dasha (birth time) and then progressed through Venus, Sun, Moon. Mars and currently in Rahu. For every Dasha change (Ketu-> Venus, Venus->Sun etc), I had experienced some big events, major life transformations. I have observed that there is a 3-6 months’ zone (depending upon the time spans of Dashas involved) during Dasha changes wherein one can experience such transformations.

Great! Happy for you :)
One cautionary note though! In much of similar explorations often when we increase the value of n (number of observations or samplings) a mixed bags of "hits" and 'misses' emerges. Curiously, the first few cases seem to work the way we want the search/research as. Must be Heisenbergian or something!

Regards,

Rohiniranjan

Sakti

Thank you Crystalpages!
Will dasa chidra happens at the end of every dasha(jupiter, venus, sun , moon etc)?
I have seen people with very bad experiences during chidra period.
Does dasa chidra harms or can it have a positive impact on the person?
what is the result of dasa chidra?

Sakti

I agree.

Hello Suhasg!
May what kind of transformations you had?
I mean good or bad?

Crystalpages

Thank you Crystalpages!
Will dasa chidra happens at the end of every dasha(jupiter, venus, sun , moon etc)?
I have seen people with very bad experiences during chidra period.
Does dasa chidra harms or can it have a positive impact on the person?
what is the result of dasa chidra?

Sakti ji,

It can vary and though some maintain that it is generally bad, it can be good as well and in many cases nil! Which should make us wonder that other conditions or qualifiers/modifiers must be operating. Some insist that the ending of budh dasha and beginning of ketu dasha in their observations have consistently (still not quite 100%, but most instances) observed the most tangible changes. Perhaps it is because these represent a transition zone where a rashi and nakshatra end together. In all other dasa chidras, the nakshatra shares two rashis or flanks two rashis. Chidra should imply a void, a momentary shunyata. And as I wrote and Suhas ji also shared, there is a zone of few months around that exact moment during which the effects are felt. It is almost like when one government replaces another government or different political party in a nation. Maybe in actuality the change is not always as dramatic. In some jyotish circles, greater emphasis is being given on the importance of studying the chart for the moment or epoch when a dasha (and by extension, finer sub periods of a dasha) starts and the planetary arrangement would indicate in addition to standard factors given in scriptures and particularly laghu parashari how a dasha will manifest and what the nativity would fare. I have not personally tested that in significant number of cases but hopefully if I manage to do so, will definitely share my observations.

Regards,

Rohiniranjan
(Have no idea how the italics got turned on, must have pressed some key, although one needs to press two keys to bring this on!)

Sakti

Thank you ji!
Now I got a clear idea of dasa chidra.

Rashi sandhi:
Rohiniranjan ji!
If rashi sandhi is observed in a particular horoscope is there any method to predict the correct readings?
For suppose, in the chart attached; saturn and moon are 29deg & 29deg respectively....
in this case, how can the results of saturn and moon be predicted?
will saturn gives the results as if in virgo or libra?? and similarly with moon....

astro_w2gw_02_x_hp.39041.15738.gif

thanks & regards,
Sakti

Crystalpages

Dear Sakti ji,

I am getting errors when I try to click on the tiny chart images used in this forum. Hence if you could include in the response the date (please spell out the name of month, such as FEB or JUN etc to avoid the different conventions used. I prefer DD MON YYYY) and the time and place, then it would be easier on me :)

Also please note that a slightly different ayanamsha can result in the planet moving into the next rashi and sometimes the converse too!

I do not use Lahiri or Raman ayanamsha, by the way!

Regards,

Rohiniranjan

Sakti

Yeah Rohiniranjanji! Thank you for your response.

The horoscope details of that person:

2nd October 1982
1:10A.M
Tanuku, Andhra pradesh, India. .

If rashi sandhi is observed in a particular horoscope is there any method to predict the correct readings?

For suppose, in the this chart; saturn and moon are 29deg & 29deg respectively....
in this case, how can the results of saturn and moon be predicted?
will saturn gives the results as if in virgo or libra?? and similarly with moon....
I got these degrees as per krishnamurti ayanamsha!

thanks & regards,
Sakti