The scientific explanation of going through the tunnel

kimbermoon

I recently watched a documentary about Black Holes…
Notes from Nasa:
“Recent discoveries offer some tantalizing evidence that black holes have a dramatic influence on the neighborhoods around them - emitting powerful gamma ray bursts, devouring nearby stars, and spurring the growth of new stars in some areas while stalling it in others”.

One Star's End is a Black Hole's Beginning
Most black holes form from the remnants of a large star that dies in a supernova explosion. (Smaller stars become dense neutron stars, which are not massive enough to trap light.) If the total mass of the star is large enough (about three times the mass of the Sun), it can be proven theoretically that no force can keep the star from collapsing under the influence of gravity. However, as the star collapses, a strange thing occurs. As the surface of the star nears an imaginary surface called the "event horizon," time on the star slows relative to the time kept by observers far away. When the surface reaches the event horizon, time stands still, and the star can collapse no more - it is a frozen collapsing object.

https://science.nasa.gov/astrophysics/focus-areas/black-holes

Back to the future: The theme from that movie is probably well known [time standing still] and I found this new documentary rather interesting; and as I watched I was thinking about the possibility of these as being the representatives of the ‘portals to the other side’. Seems quite similar to ‘going down the bright tunnel’ as recalled in similar end -of -life accounts offered by many people in modern literature.

A song by Moby suggests 'we are all made of stars', so it clicked that perhaps they are made up of the souls passing through the gateway.

What if?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDq33zsu4tQ

Last edited:

Blaze

Account Closed
Black holes are both beautiful in their ability to inspire awe, while also being terrifying in their destructive power. Super-massive black holes expand those two feelings.

A book I'd recommend is,

220px-Astrophysics_for_People_in_a_Hurry.jpg

Very good read if you're interested in, well, the universe. His other one called "Death by black hole" is another fun read.

As for the question: Nobody knows. Should we one day survive being spaghetti-ed by the massive pressure of the black-hole, we'll find out. Personally, I cannot fathom what lies beyond the falling point of a dead star. Perhaps an abyss of energy, heat, endlessly sinking into nothingness? Dunno, but it sure is fascinating.