Fixed stars in Sidreal astrology

Whoam1

Does anyone move the fixed stars in sidereal astrology? It seems weird to me to do that. Any comments appreciated, thanks.

Chrysalis

An example of why im confused, in a friends Tropical chart she has venus/mars @ 14 degrees Aries both tightly conjunct and on the fixed star of Alpheratz (the chained woman).

Now in the video he only speaks of this fixed star placement in sidereal, so i don't know if it also manifests itself in Tropical too.

I understand in tropical the fixed stars rotate, and in sidereal fixed they don't.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

Does anyone move the fixed stars in sidereal astrology?
It seems weird to me to do that.
Any comments appreciated, thanks.
Fixed stars are fixed
in the sense that their relative positions to other stars remains the same, more or less
- in other words unlike planets
fixed stars don't move :smile:

Paul moderator over on skyscript sums it up as follows:
'... If you want fixed stars to remain in relative position to your zodiac
then your zodiac must also be fixed relative to the stars - the sidereal zodiac....'

Whoam1

An example of why im confused, in a friends Tropical chart she has venus/mars @ 14 degrees Aries both tightly conjunct and on the fixed star of Alpheratz (the chained woman).

Now in the video he only speaks of this fixed star placement in sidereal, so i don't know if it also manifests itself in Tropical too.

I understand in tropical the fixed stars rotate, and in sidereal fixed they don't.

I'd say that the stars can wobble a degree or too but they should stay fixed in the same signs through all forms of astrology. This is because stars are designed to fit in those signs unlike planets and astroides which rotate through all signs.

Chrysalis

So basically a planet conjunct a fixed star in either tropical or sidereal will be affected by that star ?

So as my friends venus, in her tropical chart, falls on Alpharetz its effected by this star....but if i moved her chart to sidereal then her venus would not be affected by this star but maybe affected by a totally different one.

OR could her venus be still affected by this star even in sidereal....as her venus falls on this in tropical.

Whoam1

So basically a planet conjunct a fixed star in either tropical or sidereal will be affected by that star ?

So as my friends venus, in her tropical chart, falls on Alpharetz its effected by this star....but if i moved her chart to sidereal then her venus would not be affected by this star but maybe affected by a totally different one.

OR could her venus be still affected by this star even in sidereal....as her venus falls on this in tropical.

I'd say completely different star. Just like my Sun/Moon mp would be affected by a different star (just as accurately may I add). Why would my AC conj. Mercury in Scorpio conj a star that's normal fixed in saggitarius? It makes little sense.

petosiris

Banned
Fixed stars placement and conjunction by ecliptic or even paranatellonta do not change when you change the zodiac. Only the longitude of the fixed star change. Constellations closely allign with the signs in this way, (including the traditional Egyptian bounds, including extra-zodiacal constellations) in my opinion.

Chrysalis

Okay i get the fixed stars now, i think im now more confused as to whether i should be using tropical or sidereal. Sidereal changes everything.

Whoam1

I think its maybe personal preference then isn't it. If sidereal makes more sense for you then you should use it.

I'm the exception honestly when I came on this site I was using sidereal I tired tropical it's just not as effective for me.

Chrysalis

I'm just watching another video on fixed stars and they're talking about the fixed star taletha @ 2 degrees leo sidereal....but they then say that in tropical this would be at 25 - 28 degrees leo.

So tropical/sidereal does change them.

Whoam1

I'm just watching another video on fixed stars and they're talking about the fixed star taletha @ 2 degrees leo sidereal....but they then say that in tropical this would be at 25 - 28 degrees leo.

So tropical/sidereal does change them.

I mean either they all stay the same or they all change, that being said I'm curious as to what fixed star would be near my IC if they move.

Rawiri

The fixed stars are (relatively though not entirely) fixed.

Whether you change between tropical or sidereal zodiac they are located in the same place.

However, because tropical and sidereal START measuring from different places then relative to that measuring point they have moved.

Say you have a mark on your desk and you place the beginning of a ruler at the left edge to count and you count it's at 15 cm (half ruler length) from the edge.

But then you move the ruler over and start counting from the middle of the ruler. It's still 15 cm from the edge but since you START measuring from 15cm on the ruler it will appear as 30cm on the ruler (30-15 = 15)

It's the same with the zodiac. Someone using fixed stars is going to get the same planet conjunct a fixed star using either tropical or sidereal, it won't change.

What will change is we will say "this star is at blah of Leo or blah of Cancer" depending on the zodiac.

Chrysalis

Rawiri you ARE the best, if you was with me now, i'd give you the biggest kiss ever.....FINALLY i understand, your ruler explanation was very helpful, i've been towing with this all day.

Thankyou...thankyou....thankyou :biggrin:

Perfect i can sleep tonight.