Farewell

conspiracy theorist

A bit too often on this forum, I am sorry to say. Many a thread have been started to discuss over-moderation, many! And it is sad to see good, educated members that so openly share their knowledge and help others, leave! Julia is a perfect example.

I recall you stating that you were once a mod here; why don't you take up the gauntlet again if you find the moderation so lacking?

sibylline

What moderators need to understand is that we are HUMAN beings here, not machines that are programmed to churn out astrological posts. And, if in one post mention of Mars or Venus is missing, then the machine is broken and needs to be 'done away with', or or fixed (moderated).

aquarius7000, I'm over here laughing my butt off. I know that wasn't your intention but a lot of your posts make me laugh.

I completely agree with this. Sometimes conversations veer a little off topic but as long as the balance is with astrology, I would err on the side of caution. Sometimes a warning to keep it on topic can help instead of wholesale deleting of posts. I don't, however, want to turn this into a topic about moderation lest this also be removed or locked...

aquarius7000

I recall you stating that you were once a mod here; why don't you take up the gauntlet again if you find the moderation so lacking?
Thanks for the suggestion. My taking up moderatorship does not mean that such things won't happen, I think you get the message. Anyway, I am going to drop this subject right here. I am just sorry to see yet another knowledgeable and decent member that always gave much much more than they ever asked...well... leave.

conspiracy theorist

Thanks for the suggestion. My taking up moderatorship does not mean that such things won't happen, I think you get the message. Anyway, I am going to drop this subject right here. I am just sorry to see yet another knowledgeable and decent member...well... leave.

But if you're apart of the moderation team you could counter-balance the heavy handedness that you see meted out to our beloved members.

aquarius7000

But if you're apart of the moderation team you could counter-balance the heavy handedness that you see meted out to our beloved members.
I cannot say here how every bit of moderation is carried out. However, I will say that neither is it viable/possible, nor is this done - that every bit of moderation (such as the example at hand) is discussed with other moderators before it is carried out. That is not doable.

Perhaps Julia will reconsider and return. Perhaps she will see how much she means to us and be motivated to ignore whatever hurt her and return.

katydid

I didn't see the posts that were deleted, so I don't know why they went poof.

But I do think that the two subjects---astrology and clairvoyance---often have some sensitive and awkward interactions.

Some astrologers get uncomfortable with psychics who also use astrology because they feel it taints it, makes it less than it is. [ I do not subscribe to that notion, but know many who do.]

And the problem is that very few psychics are really psychic. I do know some great ones who are psychic, talented and trustworthy. But have met many who are not. Julia is extremely gifted and sincere and a great astrologer. I hope she knows that we appreciate that.

But I can understand why maybe the safest thing is to keep this an astrology forum and not a psychic forum. In that with a chart, one can point exactly where they are getting their information. But with clairvoyance, there is no back up with it that people can look to and it can make it feel kind of sketchy.

Julia is one of my favorite astrologers here and I really don't want to think that she is really leaving permanently. Especially if it is just a misunderstanding.

The mods are kind of stuck in the middle and it is a very hard place to be.

RaRohini

Dear Forum Members:

It has been an honor and a pleasure to learn and work on this forum.
It is a most special place and I wish you all the best.

Julia

Dear Julia !!

Oh no ! I hope you will reconsider your decision.. I have experienced that the truest astrologers are great psychics as well, because they have 'experienced' the 'other reality' as opposed to 'bookish knowledge'. Their viewpoint is priceless and i know you are one of the rarest gems.
I hope you don't go..even if you do i know where to find you. Cheers !

tsmall

Premium Member
I don't know why the posts were deleted...not my board. I do know that Tim doesn't do anything out of a desire to see good astrologers leave the forum. If anything, the idea is to allow those members (some of whom are posting to this thread <ahem>) who do make a valuable contribution to the forum and don't usually veer off topic, or are at least able to learn a few lessons (again, <ahem>) continue to post.

When I was a member, and clearly not a moderator, I too had posts deleted, often without cause. And several times those posts contained quite a bit of astrology. Of course, there were a few that were just for fun, because astrology all the time can become boring.

What I can say is that the moderators DO have the best intentions about what is good for the forum at heart. Deleting off topic comments happnes, but there is not one single thing about it that is, or should be taken personally. If there are rules to adhere to, how would it be fair to moderate posts of the one, but not the posts of the other? "Oh, well this so and so happened, but it was off topic so deleted?" Ok, but over here "this someone said this thing on this thread that was non-astrological, and got away with it."

Right now, even the moderators aren't getting email notifications. The ! report function isn't working. Please bear in mind that we are doing the best we can, blindly. It's like mutual reception by detriment. And we all know how that goes. Hoping every member here can help the moderators out...

Tamara

Bunraku

Sometimes, as the OP of a thread, I report posts when the thread doesn’t go the direction I want it to. I reported the last thread I made in hopes it will get deleted because I was being harassed and I was starting to have panic attacks, and the mods did. The mods are there to help us.

x

Witchyone

I didn't see the posts that were deleted, so I don't know why they went poof.

But I do think that the two subjects---astrology and clairvoyance---often have some sensitive and awkward interactions.

Some astrologers get uncomfortable with psychics who also use astrology because they feel it taints it, makes it less than it is. [ I do not subscribe to that notion, but know many who do.]

And the problem is that very few psychics are really psychic. I do know some great ones who are psychic, talented and trustworthy. But have met many who are not. Julia is extremely gifted and sincere and a great astrologer. I hope she knows that we appreciate that.

But I can understand why maybe the safest thing is to keep this an astrology forum and not a psychic forum. In that with a chart, one can point exactly where they are getting their information. But with clairvoyance, there is no back up with it that people can look to and it can make it feel kind of sketchy.

Julia is one of my favorite astrologers here and I really don't want to think that she is really leaving permanently. Especially if it is just a misunderstanding.

The mods are kind of stuck in the middle and it is a very hard place to be.

But the topic of the thread is psychic markers in the chart. We were literally on topic by talking about that. If people don't like psychics or talking about psychic abilities or feel it somehow cheapens their astrology for other people to talk about it, all they have to do is not read the thread.

Moderating a board isn't easy. I get that, and I appreciate the work the mods do. I'm just confused about why this thread, which was being enjoyed by everyone involved, as far as I could tell, was targeted for moderation at all.

I'm just not interested in being in a place where the rules are more important than forming a congenial community where people are respectful to one another. Deleting a bunch of posts a person took time and thought to create isn't respectful.

JUPITERASC

But the topic of the thread is psychic markers in the chart.
We were literally on topic by talking about that
If people don't like psychics or talking about psychic abilities or feel it somehow cheapens their astrology for other people to talk about it,
all they have to do is not read the thread.

Moderating a board isn't easy. I get that, and I appreciate the work the mods do.
I'm just confused about why this thread, which was being enjoyed by everyone involved, as far as I could tell,
was targeted for moderation at all

I'm just not interested in being in a place where the rules are more important
than forming a congenial community where people are respectful to one another.
Deleting a bunch of posts a person took time and thought to create isn't respectful.
moderator tsmall has said the board from which those posts were deleted
is a board she does not moderate
but is a board moderated by moderator wilsontc

I don't know why the posts were deleted...not my board.

I do know that Tim doesn't do anything out of a desire to see good astrologers leave the forum.
If anything, the idea is to allow those members (some of whom are posting to this thread <ahem>)
who do make a valuable contribution to the forum and don't usually veer off topic,
or are at least able to learn a few lessons (again, <ahem>)
continue to post.
Clearly then :smile:
moderator wilsontc is the person with the answer to all these questions

Witchyone

moderator tsmall has said the board from which those posts were deleted
is a board she does not moderate
but is a board moderated by moderator wilsontc

Clearly then :smile:
moderator wilsontc is the person with the answer to all these questions

Yes, but I'm not asking for him to explain himself or for anyone to, really. Maybe he made a mistake; maybe he stands by his decision. I don't know how many posts were deleted, and I don't know why the thread came to his attention. I just wanted people to understand that Julia was always nice, thoughtful, and respectful to everyone, welcoming to new members, made an effort to respect the rules of the board, and still somehow managed to get her posts deleted. It's a real shame.

sibylline

I'm just confused about why this thread, which was being enjoyed by everyone involved, as far as I could tell, was targeted for moderation at all.

Active threads with many replies tend to be checked up on. I don't think it was necessarily targeted but I could be wrong.

I'm just not interested in being in a place where the rules are more important than forming a congenial community where people are respectful to one another. Deleting a bunch of posts a person took time and thought to create isn't respectful.

Hey now, let's not all jump ship.

We don't even know for sure if that's why Julia decided to leave. It's probable but the timing could be coincidental or perhaps it was a mix of reasons.