Chiron as the Ruler of Virgo

Psalm

Barbara Hand Clow suggests Chiron as the ruler of Virgo in her book "Chiron." I'm interested to hear some thoughts on this rulership assignment.

<i>This is of</i>particular interest <i>to me since my sun is conjunct my ascendant in Virgo and in a t-square with Chiron/Moon (right on top of my Gemini midheaven) and Jupiter/Uranus.</i>

Frank

In my opinion, Mercury is the Domicile ruler (and also the Exaltation ruler)of Virgo. It's the Nocturnal (or some would say Feminine - but I'm trying to de-genderdize this usage) expression of Mercury.

Although Chiron's mythology may be similar in some ways to what we think of as "Virgoan" traits, similarity is not a basis for rulership.

The Classical rulership/dignity scheme, as I've said here before earler in another thread, is a logical, symmetrical system whereby seven Luminaries and planets are divided amongst the twelve signs of the Zodiac.

Not to say that only the seven Classical bodies are the only thing we can look at in a chart - but other bodies do not fit into the Essential Dignity scheme.

Lapis

Ever since I first heard of Chiron, it's always made sense to me that it is the (evolved) ruler of Virgo. The other thing that did it for me with this topic is looking at this, as Clow points out too in her book, the Virgo/Pisces and Chiron/Neptune combination or polarity.

Sorry but there's no way Mercury can go toe-to-toe with Neptune! Chiron on the other hand...perfect fit and balance imo.

I've got Pisces Asc. and Chiron is conjunct my Sun (in Capricorn) so I've got a rather intimate relationship with these energies. To me, Chiron is the new evolved ruler of Virgo. Humanity outgrew Mercury as ruler of Virgo.

Frank

How much observational data do we have on Chiron through each of the signs to even consider assigning it to be the ruler of anything?

R4VEN

Ever since I first heard of Chiron, it's always made sense to me that it is the (evolved) ruler of Virgo. The other thing that did it for me with this topic is looking at this, as Clow points out too in her book, the Virgo/Pisces and Chiron/Neptune combination or polarity.

Sorry but there's no way Mercury can go toe-to-toe with Neptune! Chiron on the other hand...perfect fit and balance imo.

I've got Pisces Asc. and Chiron is conjunct my Sun (in Capricorn) so I've got a rather intimate relationship with these energies. To me, Chiron is the new evolved ruler of Virgo. Humanity outgrew Mercury as ruler of Virgo.
I'm with you, Lapis.

We're all having to keep up - Chiron is dragging us kicking and screaming....

Pallas-trine-Mars

I'm intellectually opposed to it. It seems to me that Chiron represents emotional/psychological/spiritual issues. It doesn't to me seem to represent the Virgoan conscientiousness, the work, health, education and order habits of Virgo and the sixth house; so while I have great respect for Chiron (and I think its 50-year orbit could be great for Virgo), it doesn't seem like a match to me. I kind of like the asteroid Pallas; I feel it's been overlooked and matches Virgo and the sixth house very well.

I had a discussion about it where I attempted to use horary to determine if Chiron could rule Virgo on this page for anyone whose interested.

I read her book and thought it was mostly amazing, but I wouldn't take someone preaching Nibiru very seriously, sorry if there's any hurt feelings about Scientology but that's what it is. I disagreed with some major things (Venus preferring Taurus, Nibiru) in her book and thought she didn't do enough research, like at one point she misquoted Jesus about the "camel passing through a needle's eye" thing; It's just that if I were releasing a book I'd want it to be perfect. (Chiron doesn't rule the critical nature of my Virgo ascendant! :biggrin: ..Though it might wound the person it's directed at)

Last edited:

Lapis

...I read her book and thought it was mostly amazing, but I wouldn't take someone preaching Nibiru very seriously, sorry if there's any hurt feelings about Scientology but that's what it is. I disagreed with some major things (Venus preferring Taurus, Nibiru) in her book and thought she didn't do enough research, like at one point she misquoted Jesus about the "camel passing through a needle's eye" thing; It's just that if I were releasing a book I'd want it to be perfect. (Chiron doesn't rule the critical nature of my Virgo ascendant! :biggrin: ..Though it might wound the person it's directed at)

Pallas-trine-Mars,

"...but I wouldn't take someone preaching Nibiru very seriously, sorry if there's any hurt feelings about Scientology but that's what it is."

Clow has nothing to do with Scientology (and neither do I) so what was your point in saying that...besides the obvious?

You can have your Virgo Asc be ruled by any old little planet or asteroid you wish.:biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:

waybread

Psalm, this is an interesting topic--and I have some battle scars from proposing Ceres as the modern ruler of Virgo on another astrology forum to prove it! On this other thread, there were plenty of traditionalists, as well as supporters of different bodies such as Pallas or Isis.

I tend to go by two things. One is the mythology (Roman, Greek, and precursors such as Babylonian, Egyptian...) that gives planets and signs their special characteristics. The other is actually working with a new candidate as a ruler, and seeing whether there is a good fit or not.

As far as the mythology goes, the ancient Sumerian goddess Nisaba was a scribe and record-keeper for grain stores, but her functions gradually became usurped by male gods, culminating in our Mercury. So if we dig back and look at Mercury's lineage, not to mention modern Virgo's analytical qualities, Mercury/Virgo is a decent fit.

I wouldn't propose substituting a modern ruler for a traditional one. If a modern ruler makes sense, the traditional ruler remains intact as such.

I thought Ceres was a good fit with Virgo from a mythological perspective, as both have ancient agricultural connotations (cf. contellation Virgo's stars Spica and Vindemiatrix) and a kind of law-giving or rule-minded function. Manilius, the classical astrology author, said that Ceres ruled Virgo, although of course, he referred to a goddess, not to a planetoid/asteroid.

I don't see mythological Chiron functioning in this way. Chiron was a male centaur who became seriously injured and grew in wisdom over his experience, not the "maiden" associated with Virgo. Virgo is a healer but she is also symbolized as a winged woman. If anything, I think Chiron could be the modern ruler of Sagittarius; or the 13th zodiacal constellation Ophiuchus (another healer), if astrologers ever welcome him into the zodiac.

If mythology is not everyone's cup of tea?

The other issue has to do with sign rulers being something more than sensible associations. I work a lot with "accidental house cusp rulers", or "lords". Basically if I wish to learn about the matters of a particular house, especially one that has no planets in it, I would look at the ruler of the sign on the house cusp. For example, if someone has Taurus on the MC and wonders what career would suit him, I would look to the position of Venus by its house and aspects to come up with some suggestions.

So as a house cusp ruler, Chiron ruling Virgo would either provide useful information or it wouldn't. One way to check this out would be to look at a lot of charts, using Chiron as, say, the MC ruler for people with Virgo on their MC, and see whether it makes sense.

The modern rulers (Uranus, Neptune, Pluto) do gum up the symmetry of the traditional dignity scheme, but then I do think they work fairly well as accidental house cusp rulers.

I have Virgo rising, as well, Psalm! And I am not trying to discourage your proposition at all, as we all learn by exchanges with people having different viewpoints.

Last edited:

Pallas-trine-Mars

Pallas-trine-Mars,

"...but I wouldn't take someone preaching Nibiru very seriously, sorry if there's any hurt feelings about Scientology but that's what it is."

Clow has nothing to do with Scientology (and neither do I) so what was your point in saying that...besides the obvious?

You can have your Virgo Asc be ruled by any old little planet or asteroid you wish.:biggrin:
Maybe you didn't read her book, Clow postulates that Nibiru is a real planet and that it rules Libra. Seriously, you can read just about any line in the book and see that there's some real Neptunian influence in her writing style, it's very... Fanciful I guess is the right word, whimsical, something like that, it has alot of feeling and imagination in it (is it her Libra third house ruler Venus in Pisces? ...And interestingly conjunct Vesta. Or Neptune in her 3rd house by whole sign?). Nibiru is something Scientologists believe in, the idea of it came from L. Ron Hubbard or Zacharia Sitchin, but I think it was based on something the Babylonians believed in. Now, we don't know of all of the Solar Systems bodies, but I have my doubts about something like Nibiru, and to assume that it exist and then state that it rules a sign jumps the gun and is irrational, so if she's jumping to this conclusion it makes me question her practicality and grasp of reality a little. If Scientology or Nibiru were her beliefs, I'm not gonna knock 'em because to believe what you choose to is a birthright of everyone born with the ability to believe in something - not that I'm gonna believe it without proof or for other reasons.

I also might do more research on the Nodes, they're usually considered very malefic in Vedic and everyone has different thoughts on what they do, but she has it on her ascendant and seems sort of like an idealist..

Actually Pallas is about the size of Oregon, about 300 miles across and used to be grouped as a planet, unlike Chiron which never was. It's no Jupiter, but it's much bigger than Chiron. I'm not totally convinced myself that Pallas is perfect, but it seems worth looking into to me from what I've read and my own experiences with it. I'm also looking at the other "minors" and TNOs like Sedna and Quaoar. I'm all about an empirical and psychological approach to astrology. :)

Last edited:

C1

Virgo...Mercury?

My nChiron at 8* Sagittariius/12th house opposes nMercury at 6* Gemini.

In common with the late astrologer Zipporah Dobyns, who said, "The myth of Chiron points to an association with Sagittarius," imho Chiron feels at home where Jupiter honored him, in the stars
of the constellation Sagittarius.

Virgo energy is mutable Earth.

I'm happy that Mercury was given the natural rulership of the (cadent) 3rd house,

which is related to human intellect, to thinking, writing, speaking, realizing mind.

Maybe the idea of Mercury's rulership of the mysterious, mutable Earth sign of Virgo is aligned with the
possibility that Mercury is somehow "pushing" our human perception of ourselves to and through the
doors of perception so we will know we are intricately, harmoniously connected with the Earth and our Solar system.

Virgo is a place of great mystery, which I have come to connect, in my mind, with the Sphinx--a female power symbol of ancient meaning, later turned into a female "monster" or given the face of a male or turned into an architectural statement.

The Sphinx knows the answer to the riddle. The Egyptian Sphinx in Giza gazes East, honoring
our Star, the rising Sun.

Here's an interesting blog by Joseph Panek who talks about the symbolism of the
Sphinx as the spiritual guardian of the Mysteries of Nature...

http://www.aseekersthoughts.com/2008/10/sphinx.html

And Zip Dobyns' suggestion that Ceres and Vesta are "keys to the Virgo principle" makes sense to me...I agree with you, Waybread!

I really love learning every day about the interrelationship of Sun/Jupiter/Earth/
Mars/humans --

(Think of it: the "Eddy" Minimum of solar activity; planets and "Center of Mass" affecting the Sun as we're affecting the climate and everything's connected to
everything...during this transition, human consciousness must evolve and become multidimensional consciousness, as taught by Chiron the healer!) --

(Hi Lapis! I think I'm beginning to realize now that there's a difference between consciousness/multidimensionality/ascension and...ET...but I'm not sure how to do it yet.)

Happy new moon/Solstice!

C1

I agree. I was just researching Chiron + Virgo and found this lovely site. I would have to agree with the Barbara Clow observation of the Pisces/Virgo...Neptune/Chiron axis. As energetics go, Neptune sits atop the head, Chiron rules the third eye. Clarity through the fog of pain.

I am a Virgo, Leo Rising, with Chiron in Taurus in the tenth house. Grand Trine btw Ciron, Mercury (Libra) and the Moon (Aquarius). So I think the proof is in the pudding with regard to data and knowledge concerning rulership. She who feels it knows it.
:rightful:

I'm intellectually opposed to it. It seems to me that Chiron represents emotional/psychological/spiritual issues. It doesn't to me seem to represent the Virgoan conscientiousness, the work, health, education and order habits of Virgo and the sixth house; so while I have great respect for Chiron (and I think its 50-year orbit could be great for Virgo), it doesn't seem like a match to me. I kind of like the asteroid Pallas; I feel it's been overlooked and matches Virgo and the sixth house very well.

I had a discussion about it where I attempted to use horary to determine if Chiron could rule Virgo on this page for anyone whose interested.

I read her book and thought it was mostly amazing, but I wouldn't take someone preaching Nibiru very seriously, sorry if there's any hurt feelings about Scientology but that's what it is. I disagreed with some major things (Venus preferring Taurus, Nibiru) in her book and thought she didn't do enough research, like at one point she misquoted Jesus about the "camel passing through a needle's eye" thing; It's just that if I were releasing a book I'd want it to be perfect. (Chiron doesn't rule the critical nature of my Virgo ascendant! :biggrin: ..Though it might wound the person it's directed at)

As a Virgo myself, I may have to suggest putting the intellectual cap down on this one. Getting away from the illussion of separation, let's discuss health and work as not only a physical phenomena but a psychological-mental, and spiritual phenomena. The 6th house has to do with health and healing modalities. Virgo as a sign, focuses on systems of movement. The Process or journey, as oppossed to the fixed state that one arrives at. Pallas does have a relationship to Virgo, I can agree. But rulership. The precision applied in healing and health which spans the physical and spiritual realm is very much Chirotic in nature. The mercurial mental energy of Virgo is not the intellectual knowing that Gemini rules, it is an innate intelligence being tapped into. It is Intuition. Intuit. Into it. How does one trvers waters of inner hell, walk through the shadow abyss of the soul, eyes closed, mouth shut, hands tied?..... With the third eye open. The soul's gaze takes you through. Endurance is the name of this game and the Virgoan tenacity is up for the challenge. The endurance to stare ignorance in the face. To question harmful illusion.
And the compassion, patience and service-oriented nature, to fix it. By fix it, I dont mean make things go away. To fix is to honor the lessons learned from painful growth, and applky them in the future.

Frank

Here's a test you can do to see if Chiron (or any other body other than Mercury) is the Domicile ruler of Virgo:

Go back and look at a large number of Horary charts that have concrete, verifiable, successful answers where Mercury was one of the Significators as Domicile ruler of Virgo.

Substitute Chiron (or your other preferred body) as the Significator and see if the chart works.

Unless one can provide research that proves Chiron (or another body) works better in valid horary charts as the Domocile ruler of Virgo, then all the discussion is just the expression of opinion rather than anything backed up by reality.

One can also do this with any other Rulership/Body combo you wish.

In my opinion, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Here's a test you can do to see if Chiron (or any other body other than Mercury) is the Domicile ruler of Virgo:

Go back and look at a large number of Horary charts that have concrete, verifiable, successful answers where Mercury was one of the Significators as Domicile ruler of Virgo.

Substitute Chiron (or your other preferred body) as the Significator and see if the chart works.

Unless one can provide research that proves Chiron (or another body) works better in valid horary charts as the Domocile ruler of Virgo, then all the discussion is just the expression of opinion rather than anything backed up by reality.

One can also do this with any other Rulership/Body combo you wish.

In my opinion, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I am hearing you out. But keep in mind that this science is young, and heavily influenced by one side of existence. Matriarchal to patriarchal dominion had the Virgin go from a Volcano tamer to a chastity belt wavering fraile entity.... As with regard to RE search...It is searching again for things already found and known. So if your REALITY is based on second hand knowledge, go for it. If you like it I love it. But we are like infants scraping at the knowl;edge accessed over hundreds of thousands of years ago...called by another name. For me....as a Virgo....experiential knowledge breeds wisdom. I have experienced the Chiron perspective of rulership, and for me, it fits perfectly as the ruling body. Wether your books written by your guys states affirmative or not, does not dictate my belief. They had us all confused for a long time with the books...stating Mercury.... well you know.

Personally, I feel we as humans rely on external knowledge so much, we miss the point of studying something like astrology...which is to trust yourself. Your intuition. Mercury NEVER felt correct as a ruler. Because it is not a mercurial mental energy coming from the Virgo.
It is a total physical, mental, spiritual thought process. So we can agree to disagree, if you prefer....
But I know what feels right. I know the astrology we work with today-Greek-is shared info...to be polite, as well as being quite young. Whatever we choose to call the names...he who feels it knows it.

~Peace & Sound~

:ninja:---- The Chiron Ninja

Frank

Mercury NEVER felt correct as a ruler. Because it is not a mercurial mental energy coming from the Virgo.
It is a total physical, mental, spiritual thought process. So we can agree to disagree, if you prefer....

Please give us your definition of Mercurial energy, so we can see if there is a common basis to continue the discussion on.

Also, as I stated before, affinity is NOT the same as rulership.

Last edited:
Please give us your definition of Mercurial energy, so we can see if there is a common basis to continue the discussion on.

Also, as I stated before, affinity is NOT the same as rulership.

Sure, there is an affinity. There is not really a discussion to continue, unless we are trying to convince each other of our stances. I am not fixed on you adopting my belief. But leave some space for it to exist, how bout it. :wink:

MERCURIAL; swiftly moving, communicative, intellectual exchange, the lower octave of Uranus. Potential to be ungrounded, which is not Virgoan at all. Virgo, as an Earth sign, does emit movement. Have you ever heard of Vulcan being in rulership of Virgo? Again, as a Virgo myself, maybe we can leave some room for another interpretation.
I will not be convinced, nor am I attempting to convince you.
But I am attempting to share this perspective, experiential.
For me, Mercury has never fit. Affinity, perhaps you can elaborate on what that is. Mercury, I feel, does have a relationship, or affinity with Virgo. Mercury being the power of word to manifest form (Saturn). But as a rulership goes...... I am unattached to Mercury as a ruler.
http://www.astro.com/cgi/chart.cgi?...7&syr=2009&hsy=-1&zod=&orbp=&rs=0&aspc=1&ast=

~Peace & Sound~

katydid

Sure, there is an affinity. There is not really a discussion to continue, unless we are trying to convince each other of our stances. I am not fixed on you adopting my belief. But leave some space for it to exist, how bout it. :wink:

MERCURIAL; swiftly moving, communicative, intellectual exchange, the lower octave of Uranus. Potential to be ungrounded, which is not Virgoan at all. Virgo, as an Earth sign, does emit movement. Have you ever heard of Vulcan being in rulership of Virgo? Again, as a Virgo myself, maybe we can leave some room for another interpretation.
I will not be convinced, nor am I attempting to convince you.
But I am attempting to share this perspective, experiential.
For me, Mercury has never fit. Affinity, perhaps you can elaborate on what that is. Mercury, I feel, does have a relationship, or affinity with Virgo. Mercury being the power of word to manifest form (Saturn). But as a rulership goes...... I am unattached to Mercury as a ruler.
http://www.astro.com/cgi/chart.cgi?...7&syr=2009&hsy=-1&zod=&orbp=&rs=0&aspc=1&ast=

~Peace & Sound~

But it seems like you are ignoring the original question that was asked here----How would Chiron fare as the significator for Virgo in a yes/no horary?

It seems to me that would be a more 'scientific' way to investigate the rulership. You are saying that instead of doing that, you aRE going with your own personal, intuitive feeling about which one fits better. That does not seem like a valid enough reason to change the traditional rulership imo. :innocent:

Frank

Rather than offer my own opinion, I will go with Lilly's description of Mercury. (Public Domain, no copyright issues.):

"[NATURE.] We may not call him either Masculine or Feminine, for he is either the one or other as joyned to any Planet; for if in Conjunction with a Masculine Planet, he becomes Masculine; if with a Feminine, then Feminine, but of his own nature he is cold and dry, and therefore Melancholly; with the good he is good, with the evil Planets ill:

[ELEMENTS.] In the Elements the Water; amongst the humours, the mixt, he rules the animal spirit: he is author of subtilty, tricks, devices, perjury, &c.

[MANNERS WHEN WELL PLACED.] Being wel dignified, he represents a man of a subtil and politick brain, intellect, and cogitation; an excellent disputant or Logician, arguing with learning and discretion, and using much eloquence in his speech, a searcher into all kinds of Mysteries and Learning, sharp and witty, learning almost any thing without a Teacher; ambitious of being exquisite in every Science, desirious naturally of travel and seeing foraign parts: a man of an unwearied fancy, curious in the search of any occult knowledge; able by his own Genius to produce wonders; given to Divination and the more secret knowledge; if he turn Merchant, no man exceeds him in a way of Trade or invention of new wayes whereby to obtain wealth.

[MANNERS, WHEN ILL PLACED OR DIGNIFIED.] A troublesome wit, a kinde of Phrenetick man, his tongue and Pen against every man, wholly bent to spoil his estate and time in prating and trying nice conclusions to no purpose; a great lyar, boaster, pratler, busibody, false, a tale—carrier, given to wicked ARTS, as Necromancy, and such like ungodly knowledges; easie of beleef,an asse or very ideot, constant in no place or opinion, cheating and theeving every where; a news—monger, pretending all manner of knowledge, but guilty of no true or solid learning; a trifler; a meer frantick fellow; if he prove a Divine, then a meer verball fellow, frothy of no judgment, easily perverted, constant in nothing but idle words and bragging.

[CORPORATURE,] Vulgarly he denotes one of an high stature and straight thin spare body, an high forehead and somewhat narrow long face, long nose; fair eyes, neither perfectly black or gray, thin lips and nose, little hair on the chin, but much on his head, and it a sad brown inclining to blacknesse; long arms, fingers and hands; his complexion like an Olive or Chestnut colour. You must more observe Mercury then all the Planets; for having any aspect to a Planet, he doth more usually partake of the influence of that Planet then nay other doth: if with Saturn then heavy, with Jupiter more temperate, with Mars more rash, with Sun more genteele, with Venus more jesting, with Moon more shifter.

[ORIENTALL..] When he is Oriental, his complexion is honey colour, or like one wel Sun-burnt; in the stature of his body not very high, but wel joynted, smal eyes, not much hair; in very truth, according to the the height of body, very wel composed, but stil a defect in the complexion, viz. swarty brown, and in the tongue, viz, all for his own ends.

[OCCIDENTALL.] When Occidental, a tawny visage, lank body, small slender limbs, hollow eyes, and sparkling and red or fiery; the whole frame of body inclining to drinesse.

[QUALITY OF MEN AND PROFESSIONS.] He generally signifies all literated men, Philosophers, Mathematicians, Astrologians, Merchants, Secretaries, Scriveners, Diviners, Sculptors, Poets, Orators, Advocates, School-masters, Stationers, Printers, Exchangers of Money, Atturneys, Emperours, Embassadours, Commissioners, Clerks, Artificers, generally Accomptants, Solicitors, sometimes Theeves, pratling muddy Ministers, busie Sectaries, and they unlearned; Gramarians, Taylors, Carriers, Messengers, Foot-men, Userers."

HORARY: I am not sure what that is. Is that Uranian Astrology, which is the perspective I am coming from?

To not ignore the question, my response to science is that I am pulling this information from The book Chiron by Barbara Hand Clow. As for rulership, I found her limited information resonated with what my intuition had already felt.
And rulership signifies an ability to use the energy at hand. I am pretty comfortable with my Mercury, my grasp of communication, my ease of learning languages, however, as a RULERSHIP, it has not fit. Ms. Clow's data, with my own primordial data (intuition) regardless of if one feels it is valid or scientific, has been enough, for me. Again, I am not attemepting to promote a convincing convention. But as a VIRGO, and a long time student of astrology, I offer only this evidence to add to the equation. Take it lightly.

Science, research. Fine and dandy, but I do not need to be told something is right to believe it. Again, that is my approach.
I am here to learn more as well. Like, what is horary?

:love:

Last edited:
Nice description!! I enjoyed reading the lengthy, mercurial description. This is exactly why Mercury as a ruler has never resonated. The intellect of the earthly plane is not the foundation of the Virgoan presence. Knowledge transitioning into wisdom is the Virgoan presence. So, as Virgo sits in the 6th house, on the cusp of the first and 2nd half of the zodiac, so does the energy represent a bridging, between knowledge and experience. I have found Chiron to be that bridge. Thank you for the post. And can you point out where one can find what horary is?