How do Dominant Planets Work?

How do Dominant Planets Work in Astrology?
I've been wondering. My 4 Dominant Signs as according to the Pullen Simple Chart Delineation are INCREDIBLY CLOSE. As in the first two Dominant Signs are practically tied and only separated by about half a whole number. The second Dominant Signs are also seperated by Decimals.

So I am wondering which would be Dominant so I looked to the Planets. So hands down I know Scorpio is my Dominant Sign because Pluto is my Dominant Sign by a large Margin and Pluto is in Scorpio in my chart thus in the First House (and its the only Planet in my First house Plus it conjuncts my Ascendant and is perhaps the MOST aspected planet in my chart).

So I know with Planets into Account I'm a scorpio Dominant.

But I'm confused with the other Planetary Placements. My Sun is in Pisces but its my Second Dominant Planet. Saturn is my third Dominant Planet but it is in Aquarius and its one whole Number away from my Sun %. My Fourth Dominant Sign is my Moon which is in Leo.

How would the planet affect Dominant Signs? Pisces is a distant 5th Dominant Sign but Leo is the Ruler of the Sun and its very closely tied with Capricorn. In addition my Moon is in Leo and I mentioned earlier its my 4th Dominant Planet. Would the Sun being Second Dominant Planet and Moon (which is in Leo) being 4th Dominant Planet Ultimately make Leo my third Dominant Sign?

My Saturn is in Aquarius and as I stated earlier is my third dominant Planet. But Saturn is also the Ruling Planet of Capricorn so would that make boost Capricorn up and make it tied with Aquarius as my Second Dominant sign?

Or would the Sun boost up the Power of Pisces in my chart?Would Leo actually remain where it is alongside Capricorn because the Moon is 4th Distant Place and Saturn is in Aquarius? Would Aquarius still be the Second Dominant Sign (though not as close as it was before Planets are taken into account)?

Here are my main Percentages

Aries: 8.4%
Taurus: 1.9%
Gemini: 4.5%
Cancer: 9.8%
Leo: 13.2%
Virgo: 3.5%
Libra: 2.2%
Scorpio: 14.4%
Sagittarius: 1.8%
Capricorn: 13.6%
Aquarius: 14.0%
Pisces: 12.7%

Sun: 14.1%
Moon: 11.1%
Mercury: 5.5%
Venus: 8.0%
Mars 8.4%
Jupiter: 5.5%
Saturn: 13.1%
Uranus 7.1%
Neptune 7.1%
Pluto 17.7%
Chiron 1.2%
Node 1.2%

I really am scratching my head about how Dominant Planets work. Do they affect the Dominance of Signs? Do they increase the power of that particular Planet IG having Dominant Venus makes you more romantic or having Mercury as 2nd Dominant Sign make you much speedier in communication? Or what else?

Here is my whole chart.

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/114/a/0/my_natal_chart_by_morteimperator-d62tzab.jpg

Zarathu

Account Closed
Depends how you measure dominance.

I use the statistical method that was developed by the Church of light in Los Angeles, CA, using 30,000 horoscopes each with a 79 page questionnaire from 1920 -1950.

That method shows the power level in decimal points, from weakest to most powerful, and the degree of friction in their use from least friction to most nasty friction also in decimal points---for planets, ASC, MH, Signs, Houses, and all the major aspects in the chart.

M

may28gemini

It looks like your Pluto is by far the strongest energy in your chart. Pluto, Sun, Saturn are clearly your top 3 planets.

For me, it's really close. My top 3 are Jupiter, Mercury, Venus/Saturn. However, Jupiter is 13.5 and Mercury is 13.2 which is basically the same in energy output. Next is Venus at 11% but Saturn comes very close at 10.9%.

I identify with all 4 of those planets very closely. The planets that I have the lowest percentage are the ones that I identify the very least with- Sun, Uranus, Pluto.

anjelik

I just ran a pullen delineation chart on myself and I am confused also. Clearly this is something I have zero knowledge about, but it seems that my dominant sign is Aries, then Taurus and Gemini? I do not even have any planets in Aries or Taurus. How does that work? I guess I will have to google if it's too detailed for someone to explain. I mean, my Mars is in detriment in Libra, so how could it even have a strong energy?

anjelik

I just ran a pullen delineation chart on myself and I am confused also. Clearly this is something I have zero knowledge about, but it seems that my dominant sign is Aries, then Taurus and Gemini? I do not even have any planets in Aries or Taurus. How does that work? I guess I will have to google if it's too detailed for someone to explain. I mean, my Mars is in detriment in Libra, so how could it even have a strong energy?

I apologize - read it wrong. It makes sense! I have a Libra stellium and Libra is my most dominant, followed by Sagittarius and Scorpio.

JUPITERASC

There are a number of methods used to determine the 'Dominating Planet' anjelik and different astrologers have differing preferences in that regard - in fact there is a very useful thread that goes into this subject in great detail at this link http://www.skyscript.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7530&sid=9d83b9639aac66c6ef92e6b8ba868974 :smile:

Depends how you measure dominance.

I use the statistical method that was developed by the Church of light in Los Angeles, CA, using 30,000 horoscopes each with a 79 page questionnaire from 1920 -1950.

That method shows the power level in decimal points, from weakest to most powerful, and the degree of friction in their use from least friction to most nasty friction also in decimal points---for planets, ASC, MH, Signs, Houses, and all the major aspects in the chart.

Do you know the name of the questionnaire? Is it available online? If not will you able to create scans? I am interested in trying this out.

There are a number of methods used to determine the 'Dominating Planet' anjelik and different astrologers have differing preferences in that regard - in fact there is a very useful thread that goes into this subject in great detail at this link http://www.skyscript.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7530&sid=9d83b9639aac66c6ef92e6b8ba868974 :smile:

How exactly do the dominant planets affect what sign is dominant?I am wondering this for months since I learned the Simple Chart Dilineation.

Zonark

How do Dominant Planets Work in Astrology?
I've been wondering. My 4 Dominant Signs as according to the Pullen Simple Chart Delineation are INCREDIBLY CLOSE. As in the first two Dominant Signs are practically tied and only separated by about half a whole number. The second Dominant Signs are also seperated by Decimals.

So I am wondering which would be Dominant so I looked to the Planets. So hands down I know Scorpio is my Dominant Sign because Pluto is my Dominant Sign by a large Margin and Pluto is in Scorpio in my chart thus in the First House (and its the only Planet in my First house Plus it conjuncts my Ascendant and is perhaps the MOST aspected planet in my chart).

So I know with Planets into Account I'm a scorpio Dominant.

But I'm confused with the other Planetary Placements. My Sun is in Pisces but its my Second Dominant Planet. Saturn is my third Dominant Planet but it is in Aquarius and its one whole Number away from my Sun %. My Fourth Dominant Sign is my Moon which is in Leo.

How would the planet affect Dominant Signs? Pisces is a distant 5th Dominant Sign but Leo is the Ruler of the Sun and its very closely tied with Capricorn. In addition my Moon is in Leo and I mentioned earlier its my 4th Dominant Planet. Would the Sun being Second Dominant Planet and Moon (which is in Leo) being 4th Dominant Planet Ultimately make Leo my third Dominant Sign?

My Saturn is in Aquarius and as I stated earlier is my third dominant Planet. But Saturn is also the Ruling Planet of Capricorn so would that make boost Capricorn up and make it tied with Aquarius as my Second Dominant sign?

Or would the Sun boost up the Power of Pisces in my chart?Would Leo actually remain where it is alongside Capricorn because the Moon is 4th Distant Place and Saturn is in Aquarius? Would Aquarius still be the Second Dominant Sign (though not as close as it was before Planets are taken into account)?

Here are my main Percentages

Aries: 8.4%
Taurus: 1.9%
Gemini: 4.5%
Cancer: 9.8%
Leo: 13.2%
Virgo: 3.5%
Libra: 2.2%
Scorpio: 14.4%
Sagittarius: 1.8%
Capricorn: 13.6%
Aquarius: 14.0%
Pisces: 12.7%

Sun: 14.1%
Moon: 11.1%
Mercury: 5.5%
Venus: 8.0%
Mars 8.4%
Jupiter: 5.5%
Saturn: 13.1%
Uranus 7.1%
Neptune 7.1%
Pluto 17.7%
Chiron 1.2%
Node 1.2%

I really am scratching my head about how Dominant Planets work. Do they affect the Dominance of Signs? Do they increase the power of that particular Planet IG having Dominant Venus makes you more romantic or having Mercury as 2nd Dominant Sign make you much speedier in communication? Or what else?

Here is my whole chart.

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/114/a/0/my_natal_chart_by_morteimperator-d62tzab.jpg

Well, using the Pullen method your 4 most dominant in succession are listed plainly by percentage. You're overthinking this, the Pullen method already did a calculation of strengths based on the planets sign and the percentages you see already take into account everything you're trying to figure out.

Your question about Saturn in Aquarius boosting Capricorn is a no. Everyone has Saturn in their chart, not just a few people. For you, it is not in Capricorn, therefore it does not add more energy from Capricorn.

The planet affects Dominant Sign according to the Sign the planet is in, not the Sign the planet has rulership over. The Pullen calculation already gave you the percentages for which signs are dominant and the method for this calculation has taken your questions into account.

If you want a further idea of what sign is a 'dominant' in your chart, I suggest looking at an Arabic Part incorporating all of your most dominant planets, or just the Part of Fortune considering your Sun and Moon are very dominant and I do not know of any Arabic Part incorporating Pluto.

lazarusx

I wasn't aware of this method, thanks for bringing this to my attention. This actually helps clarify some confusion sorrounding my inability to identify with my Sun, its listed as 7th in Dominance and 6th by Sign.

Gemini on the other hand is way up at 23.0%, Mercury at 19.0%, both listed as 1st.

Last edited: