Chat Complaint Department

petosiris

Banned
The number 4 is more lucky than the number 3, along with the aforementioned, we have the four books of the ''Tetrabiblos''. Even the trine of astrology, though its sides are three, its distance takes up 4 signs, not 3.

Domna

When americans complain about the price of gas... :annoyed: Regular is currently about 1.75 € a liter here. Converted that's about $7.50 a gallon, if my math is correct.

conspiracy theorist

Some beggars can be very in your face about it.

Beggars where I live don't tend to do that, and if they do, they will be doing themselves a disservice, because I would just go back the way I came if I saw anybody sketchy-looking hanging around the ATM machines.

I refuse to give them anything, on principle. I'll give to beggars who don't feel the need to sit beside a money machine, but even then I give sparingly.

One time I gave a homeless man a hot cup of tea, although it wasn't done from a place of altruism but expediency, since I didn't want it to go to waste and I was going to the bank. He was rummaging through the garbage and I figure he could enjoy I nice drink with whatever entree he might have found.

david starling

When americans complain about the price of gas... :annoyed: Regular is currently about 1.75 € a liter here. Converted that's about $7.50 a gallon, if my math is correct.

Why do you put up with such high gas prices? Is there a lot of commuting in Finland like there is in the U.S.?

Domna

Why do you put up with such high gas prices? Is there a lot of commuting in Finland like there is in the U.S.?

It is what it is... I don't think there is much long distance commuting here. Partly because the gas prices are what they are, and also because there aren't really any big metro areas apart from the capital.

david starling

It is what it is... I don't think there is much long distance commuting here. Partly because the gas prices are what they are, and also because there aren't really any big metro areas apart from the capital.

Is the price high because of taxes that fund worthwhile gov't programs? Here the money mostly goes to profit the Oil cartels. Also, there's a lot of fairly long distance commuting and long-haul trucking. When the price goes up at the pump, the cost is passed on to the commodities in the markets, especially food.

Domna

Is the price high because of taxes that fund worthwhile gov't programs? Here the money mostly goes to profit the Oil cartels. Also, there's a lot of fairly long distance commuting and long-haul trucking. When the price goes up at the pump, the cost is passed on to the commodities in the markets, especially food.

I know that taxes make up more than half the price of the gas. There is VAT plus energy tax and carbon tax. I don't really know where the money goes, but at least not to oil cartels, since we don't really have any oil. I don't mind taxes for the most part, generelly I feel like I can trust the Finnish government to use them in ways that benefit me.

Btw, speaking of long-haul trucking... There has been a big move towards using more local produce and local services here in Finland in recent years. In most municipalities there are weekly local food meetups where people can buy produce directly from farmers and other local producers. Mostly it's to cut down on long transport, get better quality food and to support small businesses... it isn't really cheaper than buying form a store. Is that a thing in the US too?

david starling

I know that taxes make up more than half the price of the gas. There is VAT plus energy tax and carbon tax. I don't really know where the money goes, but at least not to oil cartels, since we don't really have any oil. I don't mind taxes for the most part, generelly I feel like I can trust the Finnish government to use them in ways that benefit me.

Btw, speaking of long-haul trucking... There has been a big move towards using more local produce and local services here in Finland in recent years. In most municipalities there are weekly local food meetups where people can buy produce directly from farmers and other local producers. Mostly it's to cut down on long transport, get better quality food and to support small businesses... it isn't really cheaper than buying form a store. Is that a thing in the US too?

Where I live, in Calfornia it is. But a lot of our organically certified produce comes from Mexico.

Domna

Can I complain about children? Just in general, that they exist. That I have to appear like I enjoy their presence, and enjoy listening to their parents go on and on about them. That they are loud and mess up my library. That they grow up to become even more annoying little shits who are loud, litter and play racist music in my library...

Chrysalis

Id like to complain, that this type of thread, was not thought of earlier.

Everyone loves a good moan *no pun intended*.