Terms

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
I found a new book; The Fated Sky: Astrology in History, and in it I find this.

Benson Bobrick said:
One of his [Abu Ma'shar] surviving works is a little treatise entitled The Abbreviation of the Introduction of Astrology - the earliest such manual translated into Latin - and a good compednium of the priciples of the art. That art was fastidious, as exemplified by his third chapter, where he enumerates and explains the twenty-five "conditions of the planets" that determine their health and strength.

After this, the book lists the twenty-five considerations. The problem? I have never heard of some of these before! I was wondering if anyone out there could help me fill in some blank definitions. Some I know, some I'm not too sure of, and some I'm just downright guessing.

Domain: The Sign a planet is in.
Advance: Direct in motion?
Retreat: The retrograde motion of a planet?
Conjunction: Favor bestowed by the planet/s a planet is conjoined to.
Aspect: Alleviation or affliction caused by aspects to other planets.
Application: The alleviation or afflictions caused by aspects to or from other planets that have yet to perfect.
Separation: The alleviation or afflictions caused by aspects to or from other planets that have passed perfection.
Void of Course: Whether a planet will aspect another believing leaving its current domain or not.
Wild: ?????
Translation: The virtue of a planet that another planet is bringing to a third planet (Luna translating the Light of a dignified Mars to a fallen Jupiter, strengthing Jupiter)?
Collection: ?????
Reflecting the Light: ?????
Prohibition: Two planets appearing to perfect an aspect, but a third planet interferes and perfects the aspect to the slower planet first. (explaination taken from Lilly) "For example, Mars is in 7. degr. of Aries, and Saturn is in the 12. Mars signifies the effecting my business when he comes to the body of Saturn, who promises the conclusion, the Sun is at the same time in 6. degr. of Aries. Now in regard that the Sun is swifter in motion then Mars, he will overtake Mars, and come to Conjunction with Saturn before Mars, whereby whatever Mars or Saturn did formerly signify, is now prohibited by the Sun his first impediting Mars and then Saturn, before they can come to a true Conjunction."
Pushing Nature: ?????
Pushing Power: When a planet in some form of essential dignity applies to another planet, it pushes its power unto that other planet. An example I suppose would be a chart I recently posted wherein exhalted Venus applied a Trine with Mars, thus the power Venus enjoys in her exhalted state is pushed over onto the Fallen Mars, strenghening him.
Pushing Two Natures: ?????
Pushing Counsel: ?????
Returning: ?????
Refrenation: One planet appearing to apply in aspect to another, but aborts the aspect due to the planet reversing its motion before the perfection of the aspect. (Mercury starts to Trine Mars, Mercury goes retrograde before the Trine perfects, this can also happen backwards, Rx Mercury applying a Trine to Mars, but turning direct before it completes).
Resistance: ?????
Evasion: ?????
Cutting the Light: ?????
Favor: ?????
Recompense: ?????
Reception: When two planets accept one another due to them both being in each others essential dignities; Domicile, Exhaltation, Triplicity, Face, or Term. Mars in Libra and Venus in Scorpio is an example of mutual reception by domicile, while Sol in Taurus and Venus in Sagittarius is an example of Venus's reception of Sol as he is in her Sign of domicile.

Any help on filling in the missing blanks or correcting me on anything I incorrectly defined would be fantastic, hopefully between the entirety of the community we can fill up this list.

S

sitting with saturn

I have seen this tutorial that explains some of the terms to do with light.

I am not sure how good the site/ information is, so some feed back would be good, but its a start, to your question.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/mcmcann/newpage1.htm

I would personally still be looking around at what the other astrologers have to say, but skyscript does have a few links to this maurice mccann, so it is probably worth having a look at.

SWS

Last edited:

starlink

Hello Kai, I also must really start looking around for most of those, but I think that the following are correct:
Advance: Direct in motion?,
Yes I believe that is what is meant here
]Retreat: The retrograde motion of a planet?[/quote]

Yes, could be. A retrograde planet can indeed show a person who does not want to commit or pulls back from a contract (amongst other things). Maybe it means a planet in the 12th house?

Wild: ?????

This I would think this is a Peregrine planet. A peregrine planet shows something or someone that does not belong anywhere, he walks around in the wild?? Just a "wild" guess!!

Collection: ?????

This could be the "collection of light", another one of those things the faster planets can accomplish.
So Collection of light, the "astrological storehouse "as Anthony Louis writes. It means that a
faster planet can reactivate an aspect that recently occurred between significators but is now over, or can interpose a positive connection between significators before a stresful aspect between them becomes exact. So to give an example:
suppose the two primary significators make no favorable aspect before leaving their signs, but you would like the outcome of the question to be positive. You start looking for Collection of light.
Suppose further that each significator applies to a major aspect with a third planet slower then both and in a later degree. The slower 3rd planet can act like a collector of both energies and can make it available to perfect the matter. Traditionally, the heavier 3rd planet must be in the sign, exhaltation, triplicity, term or face of the primary significatores. Symbolically the 3rd planet shows a mediator between two parties.

Reflecting the Light: ?????
This I think is the translation of light. A slower planet leaves an exact aspect to planet A and then makes another exact aspect to planet B. (this is helpful when A and B do not make an aspect to one another)

Returning: ?????
Maybe this means retrogradation?

Resistance: ?????
Maybe a square or opposition between two significators? One of them resists the wish of the other? but it can just as well be Hindrance or impedition

Pushing Two Natures: ?????
this must have something to do with the nature of the planets, like cold and moist or hot and dry, so maybe the cold one cools down the hot one a bit? Something along those lines?

Cutting the Light: ?????
Maybe this refers to a planet in conjunction with a malific? Like Saturn throwing a dark cloud over a planet with a more positive energy, a lighter energy? Pure guessing here.

The last one's on the list, NO idea, never heard off. Will look at the link of Sitting with Saturn.

Hope this helps a bit, otherwise maybe Archer Girl can help here?
Cheers, Starlink

Last edited:

tikana

Lemme do some splaining

collection of light

a collection of light occurs when 2 significators apply in term to one another , which is a superior more slowly moving planet than either of the significtaros. thus third planet collects the light of the significators and so perfection is obtained via 3rd party or thing

here is example

Mercury 15 virgo
Jupiter 21 libra
saturn 22 gemini

Jupiter and merc are significators
even though mercury and jupiter do not connect but they are joined by saturn

Mercury square saturn
jupiter trine saturn

but first Mercury goes to Saturn then Jupiter goes to Saturn

Wild term is Peregrine
meaning that the planet does not hold its own dignity nor via Mutual reception

for instance moon at the moment with Sun are peregrine

Tik

Last edited:

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
Thanks everybody, so now we have a few more definitons added to the list.

Collection of Light: When the two main significators have already separated from each other but each applies by major aspect to a third planet, this third planet can act as a transmitter and collect their lights bringing them back into aspect again. Whether the planets apply by direct or retrograde motion to the transmitting planet is of no importance. Furthermore, the transmitting planet is able to collect more than one pair of significators provided they are within the moiety of orbs. Although the outer planets are never used as main significators they can act as collectors of light.

Evasion: Occurs when two significators are in applying aspect, but before their aspect can be perfected, the receiving significator changes signs, thus evading the perfection and denying the desired outcome.

Cutting the Light: when a planet interposes in some way between the applying significators, thereby cutting the light between them. Example: where a planet (Mars) retrogrades back into the previous sign and first aspects the receiving significator (Jupiter) before the applying significator can (Venus), thus cutting the light of the applying significator to the receiving significator.

Wild: AKA, peregrine; lacking dignity.