The Inconjunct

Moog

The traditional meaning of an inconjunct relationship seems to differ greatly from modern astrological ideas about it, where it seems to be read as a kind of fruity opposition.

How do you read inconjunctions? Is inconjunction even a word???

Anachiel

disjunct? more junct? no more junct....

I can only say to this that in horary, it is sometimes used (by both modern and oddly, some traditional astrologers) to describe the nature of an event or relationship but, it cannot perfect the matter or bring it together. Just too much junk in the way.

dr. farr

I'll second Anachiel here; heck, even with my alternative horary approaches I don't consider the disjuct; I also really don't consider it in other types of delineation either, although Ebertin (Cosmobiologie) and certain other authorities have made much use of it; I find I have more than enough information pouring in from consideration of Parallels, conjunctions, oppositions, squares, trines, sextiles (and sometimes semi-sextiles), and the blending of these indications, to consider some of the other aspects which have been mentioned, or have become popular, in Western astrology over the past few hundred years.

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
I don't ever recall reading any sort of author using inconjunctions in anything other than an informative manner. Never seen it referenced in chart examples or anything, but it's only ever discussed when they discuss aspects in general.

The basic nature of the inconjunction runs against traditional notions of aspects, which are often used as analogues for sight. Planets in an inconjunction are unable to easily view one another, and so often regard each other with a malevolent lack of sympathy.

Frank

I assume you are refering to the quincunx (150 deg) aspect? The semi-sextile (30 deg) may also be considered an inconjunct.

Moog

I'll second Anachiel here; heck, even with my alternative horary approaches I don't consider the disjuct; I also really don't consider it in other types of delineation either, although Ebertin (Cosmobiologie) and certain other authorities have made much use of it; I find I have more than enough information pouring in from consideration of Parallels, conjunctions, oppositions, squares, trines, sextiles (and sometimes semi-sextiles), and the blending of these indications, to consider some of the other aspects which have been mentioned, or have become popular, in Western astrology over the past few hundred years.

I've pretty much decided to completely disregard the minor aspects for now, I might revisit them and find them more useful... who knows? I agree that you get a lllooot of information just with the major aspects.

Frank

Can you think of any instances where a quincunx or a semi-sextile might not be considered an inconjunct?

Last edited:

Vista

This aspect is very interesting to me and one I have never given much thought to until more recently. I still don't relate it to much more that indicators of health problems. Do any of you feel that sometimes they are felt and other times not?? In terms of transits, do you feel the inconjunct is strong enough to cause an event?

waybread

Can you think of any instances where a quincunx or a semi-sextile might not be considered an inconjunct?

One ancient idea was that signs in a quincunx or semi-sextile relationship to the ascendant (i.e., not opposite, trine, sextile, or square) were misfortunate. The 12th, 6th, and 8th, consequently were bad news. Really early-on the 2nd house was also dodgy: Dorotheus ranked it just above the 8th house.

I think quincunx relationships between planets do have meaning. You have to use a narrow orb, though. The Big Q doesn't have the stress of the opposition nor the happy flow of the trine. It shows up more as worry, or having an aggravation that doesn't quite generate enough stress for the person to get off the couch and solve it. Some astrologers think it indicates a needed adjustment, notably in transit when the individual experiences a death in the family. I am not so sure, but the idea is worth exploring.

I still haven't seen any meaningful relationship between planets in a semi-sextile relationship. I think this is because 30 degree units are the basic building blocks of all of the major aspects. It belongs to the 2-series as well as the 3-series.

Frank

The answers I was looking for were:

Aries and Scorpio might be deemed not inconjunct because they are both the Domicile of Mars.

Taurus and Libra might be deemed not inconjunct because they are both the Domicile of Venus.

Capricorn and Aquarius might be deemed not inconjunct because they are both the Domicile of Saturn.

Anachiel

Aries and Scorpio might be deemed not inconjunct because they are both the Domicile of Mars.

Taurus and Libra might be deemed not inconjunct because they are both the Domicile of Venus.

Capricorn and Aquarius might be deemed not inconjunct because they are both the Domicile of Saturn.

I'm curious how dignity and aspect are now one and the same.

It's not exactly like anticia but, when the zodiac is divided along the end of Capricorn and beginning of Aquarius, you can see the pattern of (traditional) rulership. (I'll make a pic of this and post in a second)

Still, disjunct signs are hidden from each other no matter who resides therein, right?

Frank

I'm curious how dignity and aspect are now one and the same.

It's not exactly like anticia but, when the zodiac is divided along the end of Capricorn and beginning of Aquarius, you can see the pattern of (traditional) rulership. (I'll make a pic of this and post in a second)

Still, disjunct signs are hidden from each other no matter who resides therein, right?

The operative word in my post was might. Lee Lehman's book Classical Astrology for Modern Livinghas a chapter called "When is a Quincunx Not an Inconjunct?" that addresses this.

I read in Isabel Hickey's book on Spiritual Astrology an inconjunct as an aspect of 'adjustment'. The Virgo quality of criticism appears to spark the need for adjustment. Seems to work this way, in my case, anyway. I've got a few in my natal chart that give me grief in January and August.

tsmall

Premium Member

Frank, I have a table showing those are the Zoidia configured by the same Domicile ruler. What do you think of otherwise disjunct signs with the same Ascensional time? dr. farr has described these previoulsy as signs that "hear" each other.

Aries and Pisces
Gemini and Capricorn
Cancer and Sagittarius
Virgo and Libra

Claire19

The traditional meaning of an inconjunct relationship seems to differ greatly from modern astrological ideas about it, where it seems to be read as a kind of fruity opposition.

How do you read inconjunctions? Is inconjunction even a word???
The inconjunct is a mesh of energies that cannot be reconciled, it is chronic maladjustment which must just be borne. It is an aspect of irritation and frustration. It is 150 degrees and nowhere near the 180 degrees of opposition. It ofen shows in ill health and chronic conditions..

Anachiel

Here is the picture I said I would post of the domiciles.

picture.php

Humanitarian

Traditionally, quincunxes, and also semisextiles aren't even considered at all as an aspect due to traditional astrology's sole use of five Ptolemaic aspects (conjunction, sextile, trine, square, opposition), and traditionally, quincunxes and semisextiles are called aversion, which is two planets that don't want any connections with each other at all, and can't be reconciled, unlike oppositions, which can be reconciled due to similarity of polarity and modality between two oppositional signs