Should Rahu be considered as an Atmakaraka?

Bababalaji

By this incident i am seeing jupiter domination than rahu. Some elderly senior gave you wisdom who is your guru. Rahu is more of insights in supernatural way.

Thank you for your reply. :)
But among Rahu and ketu Ketu is the headless one. It is said that ketu is the soil in which rahu plants its roots. Rahu signifies unfulfilled desires from our past lives. Ketu signifies all what we have learnt in our previous birth and desire to learn no more. So here Rahu being the Atmakaraka can help us with our unfulfilled desire to understand about our soul and spirituality.

Jupiter is the atmakaraka according to Jamini I agree. I am stressing this about Rahu because for the last 14 years I have been through the Rahu dasha and it has been a wonderful learning experience. I did not believe in astrology or spirituality or anything than I cannot understand. Once I met a very learned person and for some reason I was very frustrated at that moment so I questioned him about all my disbeliefs in a very sarcastic tone. He game me answers that changed my life and that learned entity is my guru now. All these frustrations about life and my existence came because of ketu in 12th I guess. :innocent:

mathur_dinesh

Atmakaraka is a term used by both Parashar and Jaimini for a specific planet to be determined in a particular manner.
Therefore if it is used in that sense then we have to determine it also in the laid down manner.
Parashar has clearly given the method in which Rahu should also be considered for atmakarakaship.
Parashar gives eight char karakas.
This is Parashar’s view.
He also says that in case two planets have the same longitude to the second then both become the same karaka. In such a case we should adopt the constant karaka for that relative.
He says that some consider Matru karaka and Putra karaka as the same. Obviously this is a differing view and Parashar does not apparently concur to it.
The choice is on us to accept or reject it. Some modern day astrologers do not take Rahu as a candidate for atma karaka.

conspiracy theorist

I've also done a bit of research on this and found that there are some jyotish astrologers who include Rahu in their atmakaraka technique.

So, what would be the outcome of having Rahu as the atmakaraka? My chart just had to do the controversial thing and have Rahu travel the most in a house.

dr. farr

If we follow the Western estimation of Rahu's influences (as being the combined influence of Venus + Jupiter), then it would be as if Venus+Saturn were atmakarakas; however, jyotish is much less sanguine about the influences of Rahu, so-it depends upon which definitions you find more likely!

conspiracy theorist

If we follow the Western estimation of Rahu's influences (as being the combined influence of Venus + Jupiter), then it would be as if Venus+Saturn were atmakarakas; however, jyotish is much less sanguine about the influences of Rahu, so-it depends upon which definitions you find more likely!

I might take the more malefic version simply because it fits with the framework of jyotish (that and I don't particular care for a cotton candy life)

Although that brings the whole issue of which ayanamsha is the most accurate when calculating degrees...

Is there a consensus on the most consistent one?

Rawiri

In that case, you would look to the myth of Rahu and basically get his nature from that. A sneaky shape-shifting "demon" who hates the luminaries and has no stomach leaving him constantly hungry for more and causing all kinds of trouble due to that.

dr. farr

I might take the more malefic version simply because it fits with the framework of jyotish (that and I don't particular care for a cotton candy life)

Although that brings the whole issue of which ayanamsha is the most accurate when calculating degrees...
Is there a consensus on the most consistent one?

Pretty much jyotish considers Rahu like Saturn and Ketu like Mars...

Yes, the general consensus is Lahiri (but I don't go along with it:sideways:...old Dr. Non-Conformist again:whistling:!)

Akivya

The Rahu mahadasha got over in mid 2016 and it really shook me inside out. Here's some understanding that I've formed in these past few years.

The last phase of the dasha is the most challenging one and thus the most transforming one. Rahu the magnifico illusionist captures us in a cycle where he creates the desire and provides us means to achieve it and in the last stage he introduces self doubt, we're left wondering if it was what we really wanted. It makes us run away from ourselves. All the elements of mystery cloud your judgement, you lose the understanding to differentiate right from the wrong and good from the bad. In most of the cases you think that the wrong step is the right one. Rahu makes you believe that what ever you'll do will be right. It envelopes you into all the wrong sorts of emotions and it breaks your back if you try to resist it. But, being resistant is the way to go. The only key to get past this phase is to have faith and belief in yourself and in the supreme. Even if you lose faith try to come back.

Rahu because of its malefic nature makes you experience all the flavors of life in the most dramatic(challenging) ways. After Rahu liberates you from its dasha you get a much more clearer picture as to what you are, what you should be and what is your life about. Rahu acts like an antigen, a toxin introduced into your body so that it can trigger an immune response and produce antibodies. It makes you understand fear, deception, hatred, cowardice, so you'll be able to better cope with them. It cleanses you in its own special way.

Last edited: