Hyleg and Alcocoden

So, Venus is having the most dignities and we look first to Venus as potential Alcocoden, if she makes an aspect to the Moon.
But she does not make an aspect. She is in 12th in Aquarius (sign in inconjunction to the Moon in cancer, old authors didn't knew about this aspect and they said that planets in inconjunct signs does not share their 'rays' to one another).
So we look for the 2nd best "Almuten" of the Moon and that is Jupiter.
They are in wide conjunction but still in the Moiety between these two (12.15).
So, Moon is Hyleg, Jupiter is Alcocoden.

Jupiter in Succedent house and Exaltation it would give its middle years (45.5)

Does not make an aspect with benefic nor malefic.
So we would stick to these years. But we are again out.

Omnisphericus, Jupiter is Retrograde in Joplin's chart. If alcocoden is Retrograde, years will be subtracted. I remember having read that 1/4th of alcocoden years are subtracted if it is retrograde. Yet, it might be 1/3rd as well but in my own examination with charts I subtract 1/4th and it seems consistent. In Joplin's case 1/4th of 45.5 is 11.37 (45.5-11.37) When subtracted it makes 34.13 If we subtract 1/3rd then it makes 30.16 it is close but still more than her real life span.

sandstone

Banned
I wouldn't go that far. Even Lilly was not utterly satisfied with the technique of Hyleg, Alcocoden and Anareta. He said:
'I am not sufficiently satisfied
either of the Hyleg or Anareta, so neither of the Alcochodon'.

Even in the examples calculated today by the leading masters of traditional astrology, the years given by the Alcocoden does not match precisely.
For example Bernadette Brady (even though she is not a TA per se, she knows the techniques) in her article 'Hyleg and Alcocoden' has calculated the years of life of Charlee Chaplin, and she was going through the technique precisely how the old masters were presented it in their writings.
It seems out that according to the Alcocoden he should live 82,5 years; but he lived 88 years.
As once Robert Zoller said: "I don't know, only God knows".
Or Lilly: "I thank to the Almighty God, for prolonging the years of my life".

There is something more involved here, we may call it God.

omnisphericus, i wanted to share this post from you on the thread that you pointed to at the beginning of this thread as i thought it was worth keeping in mind in all of the work devoted to finding the h and a in others charts... i really liked what you said in this post.. regards - james

Omnisphericus

omnisphericus, i wanted to share this post from you on the thread that you pointed to at the beginning of this thread as i thought it was worth keeping in mind in all of the work devoted to finding the h and a in others charts... i really liked what you said in this post.. regards - james

Be free to share any quote, but it would be nice to inform me in order to follow the thread in which you are quoting. :)

Omnisphericus

Omnisphericus, Jupiter is Retrograde in Joplin's chart. If alcocoden is Retrograde, years will be subtracted. I remember having read that 1/4th of alcocoden years are subtracted if it is retrograde. Yet, it might be 1/3rd as well but in my own examination with charts I subtract 1/4th and it seems consistent. In Joplin's case 1/4th of 45.5 is 11.37 (45.5-11.37) When subtracted it makes 34.13 If we subtract 1/3rd then it makes 30.16 it is close but still more than her real life span.

Hmm yes, I think I also read somewhere that if R subtract 1/3 of its years but I'm not quite sure. But in this case I guess you've nailed it.

JUPITERASC

Omnisphericus, the thread sandstone refers to is this onehttp://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?p=363408#post363408 :smile:
I wouldn't go that far. Even Lilly was not utterly sutisfied with the technique of Hyleg, Alcocoden and Anareta. He said:
'I am not sufficiently satisfied
either of the Hyleg or Anareta, so neither of the Alcochodon'.

Even in the examples calculated today by the leading masters of traditional astrology, the years given by the Alcocoden does not match precisely.
For example Bernadette Brady (even though she is not a TA per se, she knows the techniques) in her article 'Hyleg and Alcocoden' has calculated the years of life of Charlee Chaplin, and she was going through the technique precisely how the old masters were presented it in their writings.
It seems out that according to the Alcocoden he should live 82,5 years; but he lived 88 years.

As once Robert Zoller said: "I don't know, only God knows".
Or Lilly: "I thank to the Almighty God, for prolonging the years of my life".

There is something more involved here, we may call it God.
But, to be reasonable, is it so surprising that Bernadette Brady was unable to calculate the Hyleg/alcocoden of Charlie Chaplin's chart to give the correct length of his actual life?

CHARLIE CHAPLIN'S TIME OF BIRTH IS SO COMPLETELY UNKNOWN THAT NEITHER THE FBI NOR M15 FOUND ANY EVIDENCE OF EVEN THE DAY OR YEAR - LET ALONE THE TIME!
- as I posted earlier: :smile:

In fact the question of an exact birth times is a recurring one for astrologers who are expected to provide accurate results with inaccurate natal data!

Here's a newspaper report of an extreme example that has been in the news just recently::smile:

"LONDON (Reuters) - Real name/birthplace of legendary silent-film star Charlie Chaplin is shrouded in mystery. British MI5 agents were asked in 1952 by the FBI, to investigate Chaplin who believed he was born 16 April 1889 South London – but MI5 found no record of his birth anywhere, declassified files revealed. A letter, found in a locked drawer last year, was sent to Chaplin a few years before his death in 1977 by a Jack Hill, who said Chaplin was born in a caravan belonging to his aunt "the Gypsy Queen" in central England and his mother was part of "the travelling community."

"It's very unusual, particularly after investigation by MI5, for the date and place of birth for such a well-known celebrity as Charlie Chaplin to remain so mysterious," said Professor Christopher Andrew, the official historian of MI5

Chaplin's oldest surviving son commented: "Though there's no proof that Jack Hill's information is correct, he obviously treated it seriously or he would not have preserved it so carefully".
source: REUTERS

Last edited:

DreamingTheSeas

As others already mentioned, its hard to know the exact birth time of famous people. Even for recently born people like Houston (unless she mentioned somewhere) more for people like Janis Joplin and even more Chaplin.
Maybe it would be better to have some examples from people WE know in personally. Like a parent who is dead and we have seen his birth certificate.

Omnisphericus

As others already mentioned, its hard to know the exact birth time of famous people. Even for recently born people like Houston (unless she mentioned somewhere) more for people like Janis Joplin and even more Chaplin.
Maybe it would be better to have some examples from people WE know in personally. Like a parent who is dead and we have seen his birth certificate.

This is good, but this investigation is limited, and as I know the AA ratings on astrodata bank are taken from the birth certificate of the celebrities.

AA/Accurate accurate/ Data as recorded by the family or state. This includes BC (birth certificate), and BR (birth record), that which is not an official document but a quote of the birth record from the Registrar or Bureau of Records, the baptismal certificate, family Bible, or baby book. These data reflect the best available accuracy.

So, I think we should go only with the AA ratings.
The A ratings are by quoted (by friend or family) time which can be very non accurate.
In the case of JJ it is an AA rating.

Last edited:

JerryRR

Quote:
"I do not agree that the sun must be discarded because it is impossible to live 120 years."

Jeanne Louise Calment.
Born 21 February,1875,07:00am,Arles,France.(AA data)
Died 4 August 1997 age 122.
Astodienst.

J.R.

Omnisphericus

While this might seem like a relatively minor point, its significance is that one study of the efficacy of the various classical definitions of the Hyleg was done, using the data from the shootings in the classroom in Dunblane, Scotland, in which about half the students were killed, and half were not. Penny Shelton compared methods from Ptolemy, Dorotheus, Bonatti, Lilly, Gadbury and Coley, and found the Bonatti system to be the most satisfactory in predicting which of the children lived, and which died.viii However, Shelton did not incorporate the necessity for the Sun or the Moon to aspect a dispositor to be counted as Hyleg. So perhaps this particular restriction needs reexamination.

This is an excerpt from another article on Hyleg by J.Lee Lehman.

Here's the article:
http://www.leelehman.com/joomla15/i...-medical-astrology&catid=34:medical&Itemid=37

Omnisphericus

Lehman on Bonatti's system on finding the Hyleg and the rule of 'must have an aspect':
While this might look like a very rigorous system, there is actually one point of ambiguity. In Bonatti' s original definition, it was not stated that the Sun or Moon, in order to be Hyleg, also had to aspect one of its dispositors. The necessity for an aspect between any potential Hyleg and one of its dispositors was made in Omar of Tiberius' commentary,vi but it was initially unclear whether this was simply a variation introduced by Omar, or whether it reflected Bonatti' s actual usage. With the availability of more classical sources, we can now be reasonably sure that Bonatti simply gave a slightly abbreviated version of his actual working definition.vii

It seems out that we didn't get results from using Bonatti's system because we introduced the rule of 'must have an aspect' between the Hyleg and the Almuten.

tsmall

Premium Member
I think Saturn on IC in partile aspect to the fortune and basis is already a sign for worry.
Ptolomy says that malefic can 'kill' even if in sextile aspect.
Fortuna and Lot of Basis are really strong points in the chart.
Fortuna is the Ascendant of the Moon (the body and soul).
Basis is a mix of the Fortuna and Spirit, the one ascendant of the Moon the other of the Sun = both Lights. The mental perception and astral perception, both afflicted by partile malefic (Saturn).

Did anyone else notice that in Janis' chart she has SNode right on the ASC?

Hmm yes, I think I also read somewhere that if R subtract 1/3 of its years but I'm not quite sure. But in this case I guess you've nailed it.

Does anyone have a source for this idea?

dr. farr

Gerard of Cremona (and H.C. Agrippa) repeated an ancient doctrine regarding the SN: ie, if the Dragon's Tail is on the ascendant, the life is often shortened thereby.

(My own late wife, had the SN near the ascending degree: she passed away at 57 years of age)

Omnisphericus

South Node (Cauda Draconis or Dragon's Tail) was regarded as Malefic by the ancients/medievals. And for many planets (like the Moon for example) it is said that they 'kill' when on the Ascendant in primary directions for example.
Gauricius predicted the death of King Henry II by directing Mars on the Ascendant. Bonatti says: "Moon kills when on the Ascendant".
Ascendant is the physical body which bears the Life, so every malefic on the Ascendant is a potential trouble. (Any malefic on the 'secondary ascendant' that is, Lot of Fortuna, is again trouble).

Omnisphericus

Finding the Hyleg according to Bonatti without aspects rule

Penny Shelton made an experiment where she tried all the methods by all the authors and she said that Bonatti's system gave the best results but without the 'must have an aspect' rule because as J. Lee Lehman says, that rule was probably added by later interpretator of the works of Bonatti (Omar of Tiberius).

Here's the Summary of Bonatti's system from J. Lee Lehman:

By contrast, here is the system of calculation according to Bonatti.v At Bonatti' s time, we also need to specify what ‘placement in a house' meant. Bonatti did not use 30º houses. In his system, if a body was on the cadent side of an angle, it was still angular if it was within 7º of the cusp. If was on the angular side of a succedent house, it was still succedent if it was within 5º of the cusp. And if a planet was on the succedent side of a cadent house, it was still cadent if it was within 3º of the cusp. In this table, the Hyleg is found once a statement is true. In other words, once you come to a true statement, stop looking: you' ve found your Hyleg.

So, we are gonna use Alcabitius house system.

Here's a table of Bonatti's summary (again given by J.Lee Lehman):
Bonatti Hyleg.png
(BTW does someone knows how to wide this picture throughout the post?
How to be seen without needing to click the picture and enter in
?)

Would you recommend a chart on which we can re-try this method, but now without the 'must have an aspect' rule?

tsmall

Premium Member
Re: Finding the Hyleg according to Bonatti without aspects rule

Penny Shelton made an experiment where she tried all the methods by all the authors and she said that Bonatti's system gave the best results but without the 'must have an aspect' rule because as J. Lee Lehman says, that rule was probably added by later interpretator of the works of Bonatti (Omar of Tiberius).

Here's the Summary of Bonatti's system from J. Lee Lehman:

So, we are gonna use Alcabitius house system.

Here's a table of Bonatti's summary (again given by J.Lee Lehman):
View attachment 27098
(BTW does someone knows how to wide this picture throughout the post?
How to be seen without needing to click the picture and enter in?)

Would you recommend a chart on which we can re-try this method, but now without the 'must have an aspect' rule?

This is a great table! I still have a question about how we know how many years each planet gives and when. I mean how to know which years we get to take. Is that a judgement call, or is there instruction somewhere that can help determine this?

Omnisphericus

This is a great table! I still have a question about how we know how many years each planet gives and when. I mean how to know which years we get to take. Is that a judgement call, or is there instruction somewhere that can help determine this?

If Alcocoden is angular you give the major years.
If it is succedent you give middle years.
If cadent you give minor years.
If it is in its own sign or exaltation (or triplicity) and angular this is great! But if it is in cadent you give the middle years (because of the dignity).

And so on.. you are combining alongside with your own judgment and astrological experience.

tsmall

Premium Member

If Alcocoden is angular you give the major years.
If it is succedent you give middle years.
If cadent you give minor years.
If it is in its own sign or exaltation (or triplicity) and angular this is great! But if it is in cadent you give the middle years (because of the dignity).

And so on.. you are combining alongside with your own judgment and astrological experience.

Thank you!

Omnisphericus

Elvis Presley (Bonatti according to Lehman)

Elvis Presley Alcabitius.jpg

Night chart.
We first look for the Moon.
Moon is not in angular or succedent house, it is in cadent (3rd).
Elvis is born on a waxing moon.

We go now to the 4th rule of the chart given by J. Lee Lehman (see above):
4. Born on a waxing moon: examine the dispositors of the Ascendant. If any of its dispositors also aspects the Ascendant, the Hyleg is the Ascendant, otherwise check the Fortuna for an aspecting dispositor.

Elvis's Ascendant is at 12Sagittarius.
Dispositors:
Jupiter (domicile and triplicity ruler) in 18 Scorpio (not aspecting)
Venus (term ruler) in 29 Capricorn, (not in aspect).

Ascendant can not be Hyleg.

We go now to the Fortuna.

It is in 27Libra.
Venus (domicile and term ruler) at 29 Capricorn is making square to the Fortuna.
Saturn the exaltation ruler is also making Trine to the Fortuna.
But Venus has more points and is in succedent house (2nd) so we will pick her as Alcocoden to the Hyleg Fortuna.

Venus succedent would give her Middle Years (45)

He died at age of 42.

Last edited: