LA or Chicago?

Hi All,

Looking for anyone's input regarding a move I'm planning on making within a couple of years for school. I'm looking to go into Forensic Psychology, and the best school for this is the Chicago School for Psychology, which has two different bases, one in Chicago and one in LA.

My best friend lives in LA- a plus.

Chicago is closer to my parents- a plus.

Here are both charts, plus my natal, which is New York, New York. Please let me know what seems to be the better choice. LA seems better but Chicago feels better.

Thanks for your help!

mod.

Attachments

• astro_gw__theodora.78532.2489.jpg
    astro_gw__theodora.78532.2489.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 35
  • astro_gw__theodora.78466.1417.jpg
    astro_gw__theodora.78466.1417.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 36
  • astro_2gw_02_anonymous.4696.22262.jpg
    astro_2gw_02_anonymous.4696.22262.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

freedomlover

Hi All,

Looking for anyone's input regarding a move I'm planning on making within a couple of years for school. I'm looking to go into Forensic Psychology, and the best school for this is the Chicago School for Psychology, which has two different bases, one in Chicago and one in LA.

My best friend lives in LA- a plus.

Chicago is closer to my parents- a plus.

Here are both charts, plus my natal, which is New York, New York. Please let me know what seems to be the better choice. LA seems better but Chicago feels better.

Thanks for your help!

mod.

Hello, Mod!

I think this is the first time you and I have crossed paths on this forum-:smile:

I'm new to relocation charts, but looking at it logically, I'm going to cautiously venture a few comments:

The Chicago chart seem to have indicators that describe the field you want to go into. The co-ruler of your 10th house - Pluto in Scorpio- is conjunct your MC in the 10th. Sounds very like forensic psychology to me!
The ruler of your 9th house of higher learning is Mercury Rx in Leo, which is moved to the 7th house, and is exactly t-squaring the MC/IC. It seems that maybe this would also have a transformational effect on your roots and give you a better understanding of yourself? Your Sun is also in the 7th, which rules "human nature" and the mass consciousness - all of which you would be studying. Of course, this can also be a connection to your parents - maybe spending some time with them during your studies would dovetail with what you are doing?

Jupiter in Pisces is in the 2nd house in this chart, which I would also tend to assume is a good thing. The only thing that really has me boogered is that the ruler of your Ascendant, Saturn Rx in Sag is in your 11th house - perhaps it would be hard to make friends there - are you from a religious background growing up? Chicago seems to have a strong Catholic/religious base, in my thinking, being it is located in the mid-West. Uranus Rx in Sag and Neptune Rx in Cap in the 12th tend to echo this - could be past life though. Also Sag and Cap planets in the negative expression in the can represent criminal behavior - in the 12th - things lurking beneath the surface in the subconscious - also a good indicator for forensic psychology. Your Mercury in Leo trines Saturn and inconjuncts Neptune.

The L.A. chart seems to favor health and friendship more - with the ruler of the 11th - Venus in Virgo, being conjunct the MC from the 10th. The ruler of the 4th - Jupiter Rx in Pisces, is in the 4th - suggesting maybe a restful, peaceful place to live? Jupiter also rules the Ascendant, which has Saturn Rx in Sag conjunct. Pluto is in the 11th though - so don't know how positive that would be.:sideways: It just doesn't seem to scream forensic psychology to me like the Chicago chart does, though.

Well, even when I venture cautiously, my comments are never short, are they? LOL Blame my Mercury Rx in Sag - :innocent: haha. Again, I'm new to relocation charts, and don't know the special rules, but hope you can glean something helpful from all of that. Best of luck to you!

Hey Free,

Nice to meet you and thanks for responding!

If I'm reading correctly, I think you may have confused my natal with Chicago. Otherwise, everything was mostly spot on.

I don't have a strongly religious background. I was raised Jewish, and followed-through with most of the stuff until 14 or so. It is important to me for tradition and family, but my spiritual beliefs are my own. I like the basic tenants of Judaism however, especially the idea of no idols. It works for me.

I have done past-life stuff though, and found myself as a Nun in Europe, of which I needed to free myself from this lifetime. My faith in the higher order of things, however, I'm keeping. :)

Thanks for your help Free!

mod.

freedomlover

If I'm reading correctly, I think you may have confused my natal with Chicago. Otherwise, everything was mostly spot on.
And so indeed I did! My glasses are 10 years out of date, and I don't see too well - that, and I'm ancient (44) LOL!. Well, it DOES look like you are well cut out for a career in forensic psychology, from the looks of your natal chart! Let me go back and take another look at the real Chicago chart.....:sideways:

freedomlover

I went back and took another look, Mod. If you were saying that LA "looks better" because of the chart - I would tend to agree. Venus in Virgo in the 9th, conjunct the 10th, and ruling the 11th, seems to look very good for a "serious student" - and a benefic atop your chart sure wouldn't hurt anything. Venus rules the 11th house of friends and community and social activism, as well.

Then you have the ruler of the Ascendant and 4th in the 4th -Jupiter, also a Benefic, although retrograde. Saturn rules your 3rd house of mental processes, and is conjunct your Ascendant - so all of it seems to say a good environment for learning, I would think.

With the Chicago chart, Mars in Cap and Pluto in Scorpio co-rule the 11th house of community, friends, and social activism. Even though they are in signs they do well in, we are still talking about Mars and Pluto here. Venus is now ruling your 10th, and is in the 8th. Jupiter is now ruling the 3rd and in the third and Mars is ruling your 4th.

I'm trying to look at the big picture, as where you live is NOT just about school, but your whole quality of life. From my viewpoint, it seems LA would be better for you. But then again, my field of astrological expertise is psychological, not traditional chart reading, but I'm trying to learn this, too.

Have you ever consulted astrocartography to see what it has to say?

Last edited:
Dear FreedomLover,

Thanks so much for spending time on these charts. I don't have to make the decision for awhile, but I very much LOVE to plan and conceptualize my next steps, especially with the aid of someone so wise, or as you put it, "ancient." :wink:

I would have to agree that all around, the LA chart seems to be the better fit, as terrifying as it all seems to me. I'm an east coaster by birth, a mid-westerner by higher education, and I've only ventured as far as the south west by way of career-related pursuits. I'm currently a new englander, so going to the west coast is all around a HUGE change.

Based on what you wrote, and what we both appear to see, the LA chart does seem all around more promising, especially with Venus at the top. I'm concerned the square to the ASC and Saturn will bring out deep fears and anxieties for me, especially in the land notorious for beautiful people, but alas, it may provide me with an excellent opportunity to confront my fears and limitations regarding this square.

I've pursued avenues regarding astrocartography, namely a professional chart reading (not that yours wasn't well up to par), and I'll see what that has to say. Whether the move is to Chicago or LA, the step is significant, and I certainly need all of the guidance I can get!

Thanks again Free; what an excellent way to meet!

mod.

Last edited:
Update:

One reading I received told me LA would be ideal for me living in uncertainty but pursuing opportunities to help others and engage in investigative activities. My health would suffer but I would make great strides in my professional development.

The same reading said Chicago would be an excellent place for me to feel safe and to take care of myself, but would be better for home-related activities and romance.

It is funny, because this sort of reflects my natal chart which has a Sun in Cancer opposing a Moon in Capricorn.

It NEVER goes away.

mod

C0rnholio

In L.A. you will have Saturn on the Ascendant. L.A. will suck. You will hate it there. They do not do the things that you like to do, they eat bad food, and the shopping is bad there too. Everyone will be suspicious of you and even occasionally mean. Look at my signature, I know what I am talking about.

But, your Natal chart is ruled by Saturn. I cannot think of a better way to emphasize it than to put it than on the Ascendant. Others will eventually learn to value and rely on you. Also, there will be a trine from the new Ascendant to your Sun and Mercury. People will listen to you and respect yo authoritah! These are all very powerful aspects. And they will teach you a thing or two about life in general. Your Mars will be making good money for you in the 2nd house. You will be likely pursuing some social frolicking and romance with NN in the 5th.

Chicago will feel nicer, more wishy-washy, and better for your love life. More joyful communication. More homey pursuits. Less change from when you were at home in New York.

I do not know if Forensic Psychology is a 12th house activity or not. If you go to Chicago you will have Uranus in the 12th house, which may or may not help. Not sure about your area of study... After reading what FL wrote, maybe it is worth keeping your Pluto in the 10th house. Or maybe not.

Cornholio,

You're right. I know I would HATE LA and feel right at home in Chicago. I know I would HATE it, HATE IT. But I would LOVE the authority.

Then again... I'm going for school.... which seems to be the better choice in that respect? Love and home can wait... though it makes me very sad to say it. :(

mod

You really think Chicago, why?

I'd miss the ocean! That's a fairly serious reason.

Daydreaming isn't bad! :crying:

But if I go to Chicago, I'll feel so landlocked. I need to be able to "slip away" sometimes. I hated who I was when I was out in the midwest, so USED.

Not ok with that, and I had so many psychological issues I had to address and no time to address them, I had to be in school. There was an excellent therapist there, but everything was so tight-lipped and I had to hide everything. I turned myself inside out and into a little box when I was there. I became just an object... out there. I hated who I was.

I was in a bad relationship, which was the worst point and part of all of it.

The friend in LA isn't a GREAT friend, but she got me, and that's what matters. She always took me for who I was, at face value. She could see things in me no one could ever see, and she was real with me, while also being supportive. She is a Cancer with a Gemini Moon and Scorpio Rising, Virgo MC. Sun right on top of Mars, with Sun Moon Mercury all in the 8th house.

But it's uneasy support, that's for sure, kind of like the earthquakes out in LA. But I thought I needed to be places that challenge me, Ohio for school challenged me by nearly destroying me. I had to return to New York to collapse and rebuild myself.

LA, at least LA is some place I've never been. Would love Berkeley area even better. Just somewhere nice by the ocean, that's all. And then there is so much going on in terms of art. There was in the midwest but again, who I was out there, what became of me, strong Neptune I guess plus Pluto, I just couldn't enjoy anything. The only time I felt of moment of peace for strength to dedicate to my senior thesis, was at a stop off on a trip home from Atlanta GA. I found a book at the aiport I literally clung to just to make it through my senior thesis and my professor, who I completely intimidated and completely intimidated me.
But, hey, I learned a lot about myself out there, I experienced a lot of pain and trauma and I still graduated, barely. I wish I could back to college, and I feel like if I could to Chicago, it will be like I haven't done anything new, I'm just revisiting my past, when I want to dream and build.

And with Pisces on the 3rd in the LA chart, my natal Jupiter will fall there, overlaid with the second house from my natal chart. Money from daydreaming? SO MUCH better than using my body, Mars in the 3rd in the relocation = the Mars in first from my natal chart. UGH structure, discipline, limitations to my body? NO THANK-YOU!

Wow ok, so yeah, I think I prefer LA. Holy smokes yes. BASED ON THIS TRUE STORY, how could I not?! Wow sorry to yell!

...a bit of advice...I grew up in the L.A. area [Tujunga] and it can eat one alive there...and the beaches now are mostly polluted and many have been taken over by gangs...to live anywhere near the Ocean you gotta have the $$$s...and the SMOG...OY!
I visited Chicago once...didn't like it...but, then again, I only stayed 2 days...if you can find a school in Northern Calif....I would recommend it...much nicer coastline ...but most find it too cold for bathing...[most of the year anyways...]
...and in L.A. everyone seems to be doing something in the meantime while they're developing some acting or music career..La-La Land...as we call it.

Well see here is the thing. On one hand, I'd be really good/do really well with forensic psychology. On the other hand, I don't know if I'd totally be feeling worthwhile if I didn't have more of an audience. I did a Landmark forum once and thought I should be one of the motivational speakers for one of those... except it felt too claustrophobic, mysterious, and cultish. It was helpful, but not for me.

Would like to do something a bit more public, out there. Less behind closed doors. Nothing I do is fulfilling unless I'm presenting something to people.

Yikes! Sounds like I'm in for some la-la land. Not worried really, I just know I need a plan, so maybe I'll think more on it cause that makes the most sense to do. I once had a medical professional tell me I had "Oprah Syndrome." I wanted to be on stage was what I think what she meant, I also think she thought it was a problem.

Oh well. Could definitely see myself doing forensic psychology work of course, just seems so limiting to my potential. Guess I'm just too young to quit dreaming?

:(

Teddi

...sometimes we call it, "El 'A' "...I'll let you figure out why...[...and the freakin' drivers!...Yikes!...people brandish guns on the freeways...]....You would fit right in in Davis...a very, very strong 'Womens' Equality/Rights/Etc...town...

Oh do you? Why, because of the strong Chicano/Chicana/Latino/Latina culture? I loved that aspect when I was out in Santa Fe. Sure, there are cultural differences, but it's what I loved. The depth all around me. Like I was submerged somewhere. Anywho... just rambling really...

So you don't say? Strong Womens' Rights and all of that? Well where ever I go, that happens. :wink: No but I see what youre saying, part of why I moved out to where I am now, same thing, college town and everything.

As for the drivers, yeah, that and the smog are serious reasons to reconsider. I just don't know... school again! Ugh hate thinking about it... just so not where I want to be anymore... not a good idea I know. "Kicking in the stalls about this one."

Last edited:
...well, I attended Sonoma State College back in the early 7os'...it has a very reputable Psych. Dept. [or it did back then...] but no medical school and it is only a State University...Not a U.C....but Sonoma County is beautiful and the most 'Women' oriented area in the U.S.A...[ it does have the highest per capita Lesbian population in the United States...{nothing inferred by that Modcleo...but, just so you know what it's like}

No seriously thanks for your input. It would make sense someone would see me there, based on what people know about me. Not true about Sonoma though, its where I am in the New England Area. Can't say it matters. Not looking for that. It will happen when its supposed to where its supposed to, can't go looking, always has just "crept up."

Anyway... thanks for all your thoughts, got me thinking...

I paid my dues for the blues...here's a better, more accurate link..[and Chicago is quite the 'Blues' town...Jake & Elwood!]
http://lala.com/zaGRY

hmmm ok I see... yes... yes... must think now on this some

:bandit:

:biggrin:

But no ocean? NO OCEAN! I miss the ocean so much I can smell it sometimes... oh maybe Northern CA would be better... I just need the ocean... oh just the saltwater... need it... I'd almost move there just for that!

I'm sensitive yeah... that's why I want the ocean...

Last edited:
probably just best to look at my chart

I guess it makes the most sense to just look at the charts and compare again:

L.A. chart puts Saturn conjunct my ASC, and Venus in Virgo conjunct my MC. Coupled with my natal chart and those energies which are most certainly transferred there, I think this could be really great.

Chicago sort of moves a lot off stuff of my angles. Definitely just screams too much past for me, feeling ungrounded, shakey, without purpose or intention, or attention to who I really was. I was subject to a lot of feeling like I was outside of myself. No voice, no purpose, nothing. It wasn't until my best friend committed suicide on campus that I had any real purpose there. I spoke at his memorial and it was just so powerful, on so many levels. But someone had to die! My best friend... :crying:

Sigh, thanks for your help Pierce, really.