Random Thoughts, strictly Text

moonkat235

Well the general consensus among molecular biologists is that life does begin at conception. Sure, there may be dissenting opinions.
https://www.princeton.edu/~prolife/articles/embryoquotes2.html

I'm actually sure there are many dissenting opinions. Also, couldn't you apply this 'life begins at conception' thing to all animals? Even if you want to argue, that life begins then, you still have to wonder whether sentient life begins then.

I wonder this, because animals are conceived much the same way, yet we slaughter and eat them and actually mass produce them with the intention of taking their lives.

With that in mind, shouldn't we make a distinction of what constitutes human life and its superiority over animal life? I'm just curious.

moonkat235

Well evidence suggest women who breast-feed seem to have lesser rates of breast cancer. It is also true for ovarian and endometral cancers, because of the hormonal changes when preganant. So perhaps there is a valid reason for women to get naturally pregnant that benefits their body in the long run, thus making the process "mutually beneficial".

Hm... well in a court room, I'm sure it would come down to how good the lawyers are and how convincing the prosecution's vs defense's expert witnesses are.

Did you know lawyers can actually pay expert witnesses? At least in the US, I've heard they can be paid, but I digress.

Dirius

I'm actually sure there are many dissenting opinions. Also, couldn't you apply this 'life begins at conception' thing to all animals? Even if you want to argue, that life begins then, you still have to wonder whether sentient life begins then.

I wonder this, because animals are conceived much the same way, yet we slaughter and eat them and actually mass produce them with the intention of taking their lives.

With that in mind, shouldn't we make a distinction of what constitutes human life and its superiority over animal life? I'm just curious.

That already exists. Human life has human DNA. Animasl have DNA according to their species. :lol:

What do you define as sentient life? that it can feel pain? that it is self-aware?

moonkat235

For the record, I'm not a vegetarian and I'm not particularly driven or concerned about animal rights or anything. I haven't looked into the issue at all really.

moonkat235

That already exists. Human life has human DNA. Animasl have DNA according to their species. :lol:

What do you define as sentient life? that it can feel pain? that it is self-aware?

Hm... I'll have to think more on the concept of your DNA argument. I suppose if you think humans are by default superior due to genetics, then you can stick with that argument.

I worry a little about human factions using a similar argument for superiority over other humans. I mean, even though humans all have the same DNA, we each have different DNA coding (alleles I think it is?), right? I mean, alleles determine hereditary characteristics, so one could argue that certain DNA coding sequences make them superior to other humans.

Also, there are many genetic disorders, like down syndrome and what's to stop the argument that it's not just human DNA that makes one superior, but also DNA coding sequences and uncompromised genetic material that makes one superior?

The concept of sentience and consciousness, like life, is ill-defined as well imo. I don't have an answer for that.

moonkat235

Well the general consensus among molecular biologists is that life does begin at conception. Sure, there may be dissenting opinions.
https://www.princeton.edu/~prolife/articles/embryoquotes2.html

Wait wait wait, I just thought to myself how these scientists are saying it's the start of life. Is that the same thing as being alive? They seem to be saying human development begins at conception, not that the embryo and then fetus is definitively 'alive'.

david starling

For the record, I'm not a vegetarian and I'm not particularly driven or concerned about animal rights or anything. I haven't looked into the issue at all really.

Ever tried alligator meat? You can order it on Amazon. Which is ironic, since there's a large alligator population on the Amazon.

Dirius

Hm... I'll have to think more on the concept of your DNA argument. I suppose if you think humans are by default superior due to genetics, then you can stick with that argument.

I worry a little about human factions using a similar argument for superiority over other humans. I mean, even though humans all have the same DNA, we each have different DNA coding (alleles I think it is?), right? I mean, alleles determine hereditary characteristics, so one could argue that certain DNA coding sequences make them superior to other humans.

Also, there are many genetic disorders, like down syndrome and what's to stop the argument that it's not just human DNA that makes one superior, but also DNA coding sequences and uncompromised genetic material that makes one superior?

The concept of sentience and consciousness, like life, is ill-defined as well imo. I don't have an answer for that.

Hold it right there. You asked me about what diference is between a human and another species. I merely pointed out humans have human DNA (well, duh).

You are the one that placed the concept of superioriy there, not me.

Dirius

Wait wait wait, I just thought to myself how these scientists are saying it's the start of life. Is that the same thing as being alive? They seem to be saying human development begins at conception, not that the embryo and then fetus is definitively 'alive'.

The start of life... would mean the point in which something becomes a living thing... thus alive.

moonkat235

Hold it right there. You asked me about what diference is between a human and another species. I merely pointed out humans have human DNA (well, duh).

You are the one that placed the concept of superioriy there, not me.

Oh, I thought you were responding to my saying:

moonkat235

Yeah, I'm usually not serious enough. But when I get really serious, I'm told I'm scary. I, for one, would rather be silly than scary.

People tell me all sorts of things about myself, but the only consensus they have is that I'm kind of out there. I probably get more feedback that I come across serious rather than silly. It's nice to be silly!