Ruler Question...

AppLeo

Sorry just a quick question..

How do you find out the ruler of a planet in your chart??

For example, My Sun is in Leo in the 7th house. My 7th house cusp begins in the sign of Cancer. Does that mean that the ruler of my Sun is my Moon? And therefore because the ruler of my Sun is my moon, that means my Moon has an impact on my Sun?? And does that also mean that aspects to my Moon give another level of understanding to my Sun expression?

What's the ruler of my Pallas asteroid?

Thank you for anyone that helps me.

astro_2gw_01_chris_hp.72537.9666.jpg

AppLeo

Sorry my Pallas isn't in that chart :lol:

I think the ruler of my Pallas is Mars... And my Mars opposes my Ascendant exactly.. What does that mean for Pallas? Or is the ruler of my Pallas Uranus and Saturn? So confused right now. Do you take the ruler of the sign or the ruler of the sign that begins the house that the object is in??

astro_2gw_01_chris.18210.694.jpg

katydid

For example, My Sun is in Leo in the 7th house. My 7th house cusp begins in the sign of Cancer. Does that mean that the ruler of my Sun is my Moon? And therefore because the ruler of my Sun is my moon, that means my Moon has an impact on my Sun?? And does that also mean that aspects to my Moon give another level of understanding to my Sun expression?

View attachment 66597

NO. The 'ruler' of a planet is called the 'dispositor' ----

You have the Sun in Leo, which has no dispositor because Leo is ruled by the
Sun. A PLANET IN IT'S OWN SIGN HAS NO DISPOSITOR.

It is often referred to as the FINAL DISPOSITOR.

In your example, Cancer is the sign of your house cusp. So the Moon rules that HOUSE, not the Sun. It just means that your Sun is in a house ruled by the Moon.

here is another explanation:

The sign any planet occupies is affected by the planet that rules that sign. This in turn is shaded by what sign that ruling planet is in. When a planet rules the sign another planet is in, we say it “disposes,” or is the dispositor of, that planet. That's why it's important to know which signs a given planet rules.

http://www.aquariuspapers.com/astro...-is-mutual-reception-between-two-planets.html

katydid

Another example---

You have the Moon in Virgo. So the dispositor [ruler] is Mercury in Leo.

The dispositor of Mercury is the Sun. [ because the Sun rules Leo]

The Sun is in Leo, so there is no other disposer, so the Sun is 'the final dispositor.'

When someone has more than one planet in it's own sign, there is not just one final dispositor. Sometimes there are no final dispositions.

katydid

So the dispositor of my Pallas is Mars? And then the dispositor of my Mars is my Moon?

Yes, the disposition of your Mars and your Venus is the moon.

I don't do dispositors to the asteroids because they do not have any rulerships themselves.

katydid

So in your original post you were conflating two separate types of rulerships.

Planets rule each house. And the ruler of the Ascendant is considered the chart ruler.

And planets rule , by disposition, other planets. And sometimes, there is a FINAL dispositor, which is kind of like the planetary king. lol

AppLeo

So in your original post you were conflating two separate types of rulerships.

Planets rule each house. And the ruler of the Ascendant is considered the chart ruler.

And planets rule , by disposition, other planets. And sometimes, there is a FINAL dispositor, which is kind of like the planetary king. lol

Oh.. what's my planetary king? I'm guessing it's my Sun in Leo. How fitting :joyful:

Lin

I hate it when there is no real final dispositor. Usually there is a planet on an angle, or there are other planets in the Sun sign, or the ruler of the ASC is powerful....but not of these is true.
why I don't like the Sun as the final dispositor is that the Sun is found in one of the houses of "the other" rather than being it's own mirror.

So....even tho I feel there is no clear "ruler" of the chart here, I believe Saturn on the IC, the only planet on an angle, and an angle that is VERY personal - and very active by way of aspects, is the most powerful planet in this chart.
LIN

AppLeo

I hate it when there is no real final dispositor. Usually there is a planet on an angle, or there are other planets in the Sun sign, or the ruler of the ASC is powerful....but not of these is true.
why I don't like the Sun as the final dispositor is that the Sun is found in one of the houses of "the other" rather than being it's own mirror.

So....even tho I feel there is no clear "ruler" of the chart here, I believe Saturn on the IC, the only planet on an angle, and an angle that is VERY personal - and very active by way of aspects, is the most powerful planet in this chart.
LIN

I'm not sure whether Saturn being the most powerful is a good or bad thing.

Lin

Well, I don't know. Good for some things at some times, challenging at other times for other things.
Saturn rules structure. It rules patterns and foundations of things. We build on Saturn. The foundation of buildings .....Saturn. Our skeletons.....Saturn. Hair, nails, bones,....Saturn.

Saturn is the great "restricting force." It's the great NO....whereas Jupiter is the great "YES!" ....so....which is best? Saying yes all the time or saying no? Having a GO signal or a STOP signal?
And of course the answer is.....balance. So if your Saturn is balanced your life will be.

Saturn also rules authority figures.....and the final earthly authority...YOU....and the final Universal authority.....God...or whatever you believe is the power greater than yourself not of this planet.
The earthly "father" - your father....and God the father. THE Father.

All metaphors, of course.
LIN

JUPITERASC

For example, My Sun is in Leo in the 7th house.
My 7th house cusp begins in the sign of Cancer.
Does that mean that the ruler of my Sun is my Moon?
Your Sun is in domicile in Leo
so
Moon is not ruler of Leo Sun

And therefore because the ruler of my Sun is my moon, that means my Moon has an impact on my Sun??
And does that also mean
that aspects to my Moon give another level of understanding to my Sun expression?

View attachment 66597
Planets rule signs
Each house has a sign on the cusp

there are more than thirty different house systems

and the sign on the cusp of each house
is dependent on the chosen house system

i.e.

fact is, the house location of a natal planet can change

dependent on the house system chosen
easily verify that on astro.com's Extended Chart Selection Page
there, fourteen of the more popular house systems currently in use
are available options
Placidus is simply the default
to view for yourself how that works in practice
create natal chart using Whole Sign Houses option
and compare and contrast with for example using the Placidus option

'...In astrology, houses, mansions, or domains
represent general areas of life activity
and are the grounding areas or arenas of expression for planets.
Originally the words "houses" and "signs" were interchangeable.
A planet in the SIGN of Aries was also a planet in the HOUSE of Aries
so that in effect there were no real houses as we know them today....' :smile:

'….Artificial divisions now known as houses
were attempts by early Greeks and Hindus
to measure strength "points" in the horoscope
which during 7th and 8th centuries AD were construed or confused
as means of dividing the birth chart.
The ascendant and midheaven degrees and their opposites were definite power points
or areas of intense focus, but not necessarily the beginnings of a house or quadrant.....'

sylph

Why does having a domicile planet not make it a ruler?

Here is a good explanation from a book I just finished reading (Astrologickal Magick by Estelle Daniels -- astrological is purposely spelled that way in the title):

"Related to the concept of mutual reception is the concept of a single final dispositor (or final dispositor for short). This is a condition where one planet is in its own sign of rulership (and I tend to use modern rulerships only), and all other planets, through chains of rulership reference (or disposition), end up at that single planet in rulership. If there is a mutual reception, there will be no final dispositor, for those two planets will refer to each other endlessly in a closed loop. If no planets are in rulership signs, there can be no final dispositor. If two (or more) planets are in rulership signs, there can be no single final dispositor, for there are two (or more) planets in rulership, and therefore two (or more) endpoints of reference (or disposition)."

Last edited: