House for colleagues?

tinypastels

I went on the skyscript page thats a huge comprehensive list of house rulerships and I was shocked there wasn’t a house for colleagues. Not even coworkers.

Would I just use the 10th house? Or maybe the 4th for career partners (7th from the 10th)? Or the 8th for career community (11th from the 10th)? That actually sounds more fitting but I'd like a second opinion

Last edited:

dr. farr

I have almost always used the 11th house for colleagues; I'll add that, on occasion-when the colleague is as close on all levels to the querent as a "brother" or "sister", the 3rd house might be more accurate; if the colleague is pretty much a "partner" of the querent, the 7th house would be closer to accurately reflecting the situation.

waybread

I agree. A colleague (vs. somebody who just rolls up in the same work space) seems like an 11th house matter.

muchacho

I went on the skyscript page thats a huge comprehensive list of house rulerships and I was shocked there wasn’t a house for colleagues. Not even coworkers.

Would I just use the 10th house? Or maybe the 4th for career partners (7th from the 10th)? Or the 8th for career community (11th from the 10th)? That actually sounds more fitting but I'd like a second opinion
You can look at it in terms of status. Which means 6th for people below your status, 7th for people with equal status, 10th for people above your status. Which means 6th for employees, 7th for colleagues, 10th for employer (or superiors). Or you can look at it in terms of who can decide over what the other does. If they can give you orders, they get the 10th, if you can give them orders, they get the 6th, if you can't give them orders and they can't give you orders and you have to work together, they get the 7th. 11th is for relationships that transcend these structures, there it's more about relationships based on sympathy, humanity or benevolence - aka friends.

tinypastels

You can look at it in terms of status. Which means 6th for people below your status, 7th for people with equal status, 10th for people above your status. Which means 6th for employees, 7th for colleagues, 10th for employer (or superiors). Or you can look at it in terms of who can decide over what the other does. If they can give you orders, they get the 10th, if you can give them orders, they get the 6th, if you can't give them orders and they can't give you orders and you have to work together, they get the 7th. 11th is for relationships that transcend these structures, there it's more about relationships based on sympathy, humanity or benevolence - aka friends.

Yeah the 7th-9th quadrant makes the most sense to me, if 6 are your workers and 10 are your employers. Did more research and I see others use the 7th for coworkers.

However, I just wonder why the 8th wouldn't be used? With derivative houses, the 8th would be the community of your career. Maybe this is just more suited for my question because I'm not singling out my equals. It involves my superiors as well, and even people I've never met. But 10th house for career seems too vague for the question, I'm specifically concerned about the people, not my career. With the derivative houses leading to the 8th, you could say coworkers have "shared values" which is already an 8th house issue. It also happens to be halfway between the 6th and the 10th houses. I really don't get the reasoning why 7th is used traditionally. Maybe for small groups of coworkers where they often call each other "partners"?

Last edited:

muchacho

Very often the 7th house is used as some kind of placeholder for people that you have difficulties assigning a specific house to, people that fall into the category of 'any old person'. Also, the 1st house is generally known as the house of self, and the 7th as the house of others. So if you've got a mixed group, then that certainly would be the 7th.

In reality it can get rather confusing because very often colleagues are also good friends and engage in activities together off work. So let's say you have a colleague/friend that works in another department, someone you also play tennis with after work and consider to be a good friend as well. If you ask when will she get the work done you forwarded to her, she will get the 7th because the context is work. If you ask if she will play tennis with you tonight as usual, then she can get the 11th, because the context is the off work relationship, which has already been determined as friendship. And if you ask her about a work related problem in an off work setting, then it can get really confusing, because she could choose to answer as a colleague or as a friend. Sometimes people even say things like "As a colleague I would suggest A ... but as a friend, just between you and me, I would suggest B." So you have to pay attention to such small details.

Context is very important in horary. Context will determine which house you have to choose. Very often, when it isn't clear, you can also check with receptions if you've got the right significator. And using a bit of common sense usually will do the trick as well. Going by the books, especially rulership books can be very confusing.

waybread

Have you cast a horary chart involving your question about colleagues? If so, do you want to post it? This isn't strictly kosher, but I think that sometimes the chart tells s which house is relevant. For example, the moon shows your emotional stake in the matter. What house does it appear in?

tinypastels

Have you cast a horary chart involving your question about colleagues? If so, do you want to post it? This isn't strictly kosher, but I think that sometimes the chart tells s which house is relevant. For example, the moon shows your emotional stake in the matter. What house does it appear in?

Thanks for asking. The question isn't as pressing now as it was when I asked in January. I'm focusing on learning Horary and looking over old questions. Still very curious about this chart though.

The question is "Should we tell the community? When?" It's referring to a secret relationship with a coworker and when to tell (or be open with) the professional community. I frame it this way because if you tell one person, everyone knows about it. And she's worried about her professional reputation. In my mind the quiested is the professional community because we're concerned about their general reaction whether supportive/unsupportive. That's why I was thinking 11th from the 10th. I also didn't want to confuse the quiested with the relationship itself if I chose the 7th house.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-05 at 11.57.10 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-05-05 at 11.57.10 AM.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 34
Last edited: