Saturn Returns and the Quarter Stages of them

queenfluff

I hope I am posting in the right place for this.

I am wondering if anyone has any specific knowledge to the "stages" (or cycles, phases, quarters) of the Saturn Returns. We know that Saturn Returns happen around ages 28- 30 than 58 -60 etc.

I hear these called many things: cycles, phases, stages, quarters. They are the 7 to 7 1/2 periods of your 30 years of Saturn Returns, in case someone wasn't familiar. I am just learning this myself. Although I have often heard the Saturn Return called the Saturn Cycle too - which I hate because that is confusing.

That said (and revealing my age eek!), I am past my first Saturn Return (age 30ish) and I am around the end of the second "quarter" (7 or 7 1/2 years). Oh, ok, I am 41, if that helps. (bleech).

Anyhow, I have found a good amount of info on the the First Saturn Return and looking back I can see some major things that happened in my life once the first one happened and I have read some things on the the 7 year phases. But not too much on the phases of the Second Saturn return - I read that it is similar to the first and because the second phase of the First Saturn Return (puberty ages) is mostly difficult for a lot of people and the second phase of the Second Saturn Return can be too (but of course not for everyone - no, only some of us get cursed like that. :))

If this is true, than HA! Yep, they are right. I know I am having a BAD one and I have a few more years to go before I am out of it. I can even pinpoint when it began - because that is when my life went down the tubes (in all areas).

Does anyone have any experiences (or reference, books, info whatever) on this? Specially I was wondering if there is anyway to look at someones chart to tell if they are in one of these "bad" quarters in their Saturn and to see when it will end, etc?

I know I could pay an astrologer to do it -but, since I am in a "bad" phase I obviously don't have any money, LOL! PLus I would like to learn about this myself anyhow and how to see it in the natal chart.

Hope this makes sense. Thanks!

EDIT: Oh, just to clarify on my level of astrology-ness. I can read and interpret a natal chart (working on the aspects). I am just finishing reading the Inner Sky.

Last edited:

Claire19

I dont know what you mean by stages of them. The Saturn returns are every 28 years or so. Other aspects from and to Saturn will show up at various stages of course....

Pluto square Pluto is a testing time and hits around 40 years of age or so.
Sometimes called the midlife crisis.

dr. farr

These "quarters" refer (I think) to Saturn going into square aspect, then opposition,then square again, then conjunction, with its natal position. Vedic astrology gives much attention to this sort of consideration; certainly it could be a useful analytical technique (however I have never worked with it and so cannot say anything much about it)

Yennefer

Queenfluff,

if you haven´t read it already, I would recommend Barbara Hand Clow´s Liquid Light of Sex. It doesn´t deal only with Saturn cycle, but also that of Uranus and Chiron.

wilsontc

Staff member
Clow's Saturn book, to Queen

Queen,

Yennefer said:
if you haven´t read it already, I would recommend Barbara Hand Clow´s Liquid Light of Sex. It doesn´t deal only with Saturn cycle, but also that of Uranus and Chiron.

Barbara also has a book out that exclusively focuses on Saturn and the different stages of the Saturn return (opening square, opposition, closing square, return):
http://www.amazon.com/Saturn-Transi...=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1292862064&sr=1-2

Linking,

Tim

queenfluff

These "quarters" refer (I think) to Saturn going into square aspect, then opposition,then square again, then conjunction, with its natal position. Vedic astrology gives much attention to this sort of consideration; certainly it could be a useful analytical technique (however I have never worked with it and so cannot say anything much about it)

Thanks Dr. Farr. Yes! I think it might be something that is focused more in Vedic I think. Although I have seen sites that are Western astrology that discuss it too.

I didn't realize the quarters were linked to aspects that is interesting! I know I have a few aspects going on (and coming up) that are supposed to be relative to the age I am and are approaching (40 -42) which would coincide to the "end" of the "second quarter" of my 2nd Saturn return.

One is Neptune Square Neptune which is occuring (march 2009 to end of Jan 2011) and other one coming up is Uranus opposite Uranus (may 2011 to january 2013) - both of these are supposed to be "middle age changes" transits. I have other oppositions going on right now (jupiter to sun and uranus - both will be ending soon) that point towards major changes also but I was quite suprised at the first two - seems very accurate for me right now. Which is why when I came across the "quarters of a Saturn return" a light bulb went on over my head. Hm...

Second quarter of second Saturn return is supposed to be like "second teenager" phase. haha. I guess it makes sense in way.

Thanks! I am glad someone else has heard of this.

queenfluff

Queenfluff,

Thanks Yennefer! What an interesting title! I will put that on my list. I am very interested in these Saturn Cycle and how they can effect one's life. :)

queenfluff

Re: Clow's Saturn book, to Queen

Queen,

Yennefer said:

Barbara also has a book out that exclusively focuses on Saturn and the different stages of the Saturn return (opening square, opposition, closing square, return):
http://www.amazon.com/Saturn-Transi...=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1292862064&sr=1-2

Linking,

Tim

Thanks Tim! This one looks interesting too! I see a few other recommended books on the page too that look like they might be helpful - Astrology and Midlife and Aging. haha - sounds depressing, but looks interesting! :) I have lots to read!

Claire19

Thanks Yennefer! What an interesting title! I will put that on my list. I am very interested in these Saturn Cycle and how they can effect one's life. :)
Saturn cycles are very important and can be testing. However bear in mind that transits and progressions have to a natal chart echo. The birth chart always always has be triggered. Our Saturn Returns of every 28 years herald very important times in our lives. Among these is the parent, grandparent and great grantparent timing very often. Many people do die on these cycles but again is it karma???

Claire19

Thanks Tim! This one looks interesting too! I see a few other recommended books on the page too that look like they might be helpful - Astrology and Midlife and Aging. haha - sounds depressing, but looks interesting! :) I have lots to read!
Liz Greene's book on Saturn is also recommended.

E

eternalautumn

Claire19 said:
Many people do die on these cycles but again is it karma???

Wait, so our loved ones dies because of our bad karma? Ouch...

queenfluff

Thanks. I already know about Saturn returns but I was interesting in the 7 year phases within them - not the return themselves. I got some references/books/aspects info so I guess will have to be enough for me.

Thanks. I already know about Saturn returns but I was interesting in the 7 year phases within them - not the return themselves. I got some references/books/aspects info so I guess will have to be enough for me.
I don't know anything about verdict astrology, but in my own life, I have found the quarters or squares to be more difficult than the 1st return. The opposition was the absolute worse! I'm into the last square before the 2nd return. Anything that wasn't finished with the return seems to come up until it is cleared out. I guess that's karma.

Alice McDermott

You can get a great deal of information on this from Grant Lewi's book - I think it is "Astrology for the Millions".

I have also written a bit about Saturn and its cycles here: http://aliceportman.com/category/planets/saturn-planets-2/

If you are having problems with your second Saturn square, then look back in your life to when the first Saturn square occurred when you were a child - usually around 6-7. Event during that period may have set in motion situations that need to be understood more clearly and sorted out on the same square coming around again when you are an adult and have an adult's tools and maturity to clear up old agendas.

Alice

Zarathu

Account Closed
Celeste Teal writes about what she calls the Planetary Series. Look at your Saturn at birth. Perhaps He is at 6 leo. As He moves by transit to 6 Virgo, and then 6 Libra, etc. a new chart is shown.