Aunt on Facebook

Dirius

Which is why I'm going gently and not calling out my aunt specifically. That makes it a statement of my own views, not a family grievance. Sure, my relatives inspired me to say it, but it's about the idea, not the person. That's also why I'm not blocking her even though I find some of her posts distasteful. Nor my other cousin, the one who posted a racist screed on my page.

Acting against her? Looked to me like he was trying to stop her from making a fool of herself. Incidentally, Facebook has since covered that meme with a false label.

That is a fair approach. I also think your racist cousin is in the wrong for disagreeing on your own post, in the sense he should just let you be.

Osamenor

Staff member
And how many of them are part of the twitterverse/social media sphere?

I don't know. That's not where I know them from.

But if they are part of the social media sphere, they're putting out much more effort in the real world than there.

Dirius

I don't know. That's not where I know them from.

But if they are part of the social media sphere, they're putting out much more effort in the real world than there.

No movement which is based on paid activists protesting is ever genuine, and rarely attracts the interest of the larger public. And most people don't care about the BLM movement at all. A couple of thousand people marching, is not significant when you consider the ratio to the adult population.

Sure, companies are bullied into making pro BLM statement, so is the general population on twitter or facebook. Many just share or like BLM posts for popularity points with their peers.

Doesn't mean they care. The large majority of people see this as an act of police brutality, which occurs to people of any given ethnicity.

I don't think such issues are worthy of risking a rift within the family. Much less on a public setting were outsiders will get involved and be judgemental, and cast opinions on your family members.

But thats just my opinion. I like to discuss politics, but I would never do something that would risk ridiculing a family member, or making him or her the target of harrasment (like your cousin did with you). Not that I'm saying that you are, but as we know political discussions get out of hand.

Last edited:

aquarius7000

I may not be responsible for someone else's opinion or action, but not countering helps give the impression that it's okay. Or that it's just a difference in political views. Black Lives Matter, and everything that's been happening to make it necessary, is much more serious than that.

Absolutely agree with the words in bold.

I will admit that I have lost a close relationship with some in my social circle due to challenging their views (racist and others), as in their eyes, if I am a friend, I need to agree with everything they say and 'like' all their posts. Else, I am negatively affecting their popularity on social media by showing them the other side of the coin/argument.

Albeit only a handful, there have been cases that actually do understand other's perspective and make the effort of understanding that there can be information/ facts they failed to consider when making their assertions.

Last edited:

Osamenor

Staff member
Na, BLM is just a marxists movement trying to cause chaos, which ironically is hurting their image even more, making them seem like petty activists. Outside the twitterverse, no one agrees with BLM.

Folks, some responses to this comment have turned into a separate discussion. So as not to overwhelm one topic with the other, I moved those posts here. Feel free to follow up with that discussion over there, as long as you keep it respectful, about the issue not the person, and within the rules.

This thread's purpose is to discuss handling this kind of disagreement with relatives and other loved ones. I didn't intend to make it a debate on the BLM movement itself. Naturally, some opinions on BLM are being voiced, not all of which match mine, and that's fine, but let's not turn this whole thread into that debate.

ynnest

I believe a middle way is possible generally speaking in these kinds of situations, which could be expressed through a joke or something that keeps it balanced enough so that both inner moral feelings and desires to express and the results of ones actions for example are all considered in an analysis and an action plan that leads to a greater net effect for oneself and all involved.

Your action plan you laid out could very well be within this middle way because of course there are details we dont know about but an interesting question nevertheless.

Y

Opal

Premium Member
I'm not close to her at all. I grew up miles away from extended family and only saw them a handful of times. After she divorced my uncle, I saw even less of her.

I did decide to make a post discussing Black Lives Matter and what it means on my own page. I don't know if my aunt will even notice or necessarily think it has anything to do with her, and I don't care either way. It got some positive feedback from several of my friends... and a HUGELY racist screed from a cousin on the OTHER side of my family, who I had no idea felt that way.

That cousin shares my last name, though, so at least when my friends see it, they'll realize it's an unchosen relationship.

The uncle is by marriage.

It is sad, listening to both sides for me. I find myself disappointed in both sides of the coin.

Both sides have positive points. Both sides have negative points.

Both sides have done negative and positive in their portrayals.

The so called "white folk" that I come from were not rich, influential masters, most worked in the fields and factories, labouring for meagre wages. Eating crackers, to fill out their meals with inexpensive grains. Soup and crackers. Meatloaf with crackers. Crackers with peanut butter.

It is said that there may be two reasons for "white folk" being called by the slang "Crackers"

One is the above penchant of the poor white folk, for crackers with everything, that their darker skinned neighbours would call them.

The other is that of the Masters cracking the whip.

It is up to us to decide which to believe. Not all whites are of privilege.

I think you acted positively. I don't think you have to call her out personally, especially as you don't see each other anymore.

Racism is in all cultures, even amongst the same cultures. Sad.

Osamenor

Staff member
The so called "white folk" that I come from were not rich, influential masters, most worked in the fields and factories, labouring for meagre wages. Eating crackers, to fill out their meals with inexpensive grains. Soup and crackers. Meatloaf with crackers. Crackers with peanut butter.

It is said that there may be two reasons for "white folk" being called by the slang "Crackers"

One is the above penchant of the poor white folk, for crackers with everything, that their darker skinned neighbours would call them.

The other is that of the Masters cracking the whip.
That's actually why the concept of whiteness was constructed: to keep poor white and black people from identifying with each other and banding together. That was a threat the upper class establishment couldn't live with. The construct of whiteness has made poor white people identify with the upper class whites, who are actually the oppressors, and look down on their darker skinned neighbors, who would be natural allies if not for that. Sadly, it's worked all too well for a few hundred years.

I see the current movement being an opportunity to address all of that. I'm even, now, trying to address it with my cousin who's being so racist, invited her to dialog with me.

Opal

Premium Member
That's actually why the concept of whiteness was constructed: to keep poor white and black people from identifying with each other and banding together. That was a threat the upper class establishment couldn't live with. The construct of whiteness has made poor white people identify with the upper class whites, who are actually the oppressors, and look down on their darker skinned neighbors, who would be natural allies if not for that. Sadly, it's worked all too well for a few hundred years.

I see the current movement being an opportunity to address all of that. I'm even, now, trying to address it with my cousin who's being so racist, invited her to dialog with me.

I agree. It is much how I feel about the Covid Control. Things were getting out of control for "they". New laws have been put through. No gatherings that block the petroleum industry are allowed. It became illegal shortly after this all began.

Are you all aware of what your local governments are passing as laws? Could it have been achieved without a pandemic.

Stay home. Don't communicate. Do as you are told.

:pouty:

Dirius

I think that isn't the case. Lots of white people have been against racism and slavery, from the early days of your country.

In the U.S. Lincoln's republican party, composed of whites and blacks, confronted the only white slave-owner democrat party.

Certain americans with republican values, both black and white, who believed in individual rights equal to all men, fought the democrat slave-owners, defeated them, an managed to free the slaves.

This in turn made the democatic party create the KKK to terrorize former slaves, simply out of spite.

Black republicans and white republicans didn't seem to believe in "whiteness". They believed every person is equal under the law.

david starling

I think that isn't the case. Lots of white people have been against racism and slavery, from the early days of your country.

In the U.S. Lincoln's republican party, composed of whites and blacks, confronted the only white slave-owner democrat party.

Certain americans with republican values, both black and white, who believed in individual rights equal to all men, fought the democrat slave-owners, defeated them, an managed to free the slaves.

This in turn made the democatic party create the KKK to terrorize former slaves, simply out of spite.

Black republicans and white republicans didn't seem to believe in "whiteness". They believed every person is equal under the law.

The Parties have changed sides on both the racial issues, and on preserving the Wilderness. The KKK now votes Republican, and Trump is the darling of the White Supremacists.

Dirius

The Parties have changed sides on both the racial issues, and on preserving the Wilderness. The KKK now votes Republican, and Trump is the darling of the White Supremacists.

I don't think they have david.

Republicans still hold exactly the same values they did pre-civil war era.

What has changed is that democrats are no longer "openly" racists.

Didn't Joe Biden say:"If you don't vote for me, you ain't black" just a couple of weeks ago? Old white dude defining who is black or not? And that is the face of "non-racists"?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:

david starling

I don't think they have david.

Republicans still hold exactly the same values they did pre-civil war era.

What has changed is that democrats are no longer "openly" racists.

Didn't Joe Biden say:"If you don't vote for me, you ain't black" just a couple of weeks ago? Old white dude defining who is black or not? And that is the face of "non-racists"?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

So, Trump's not the choice of the White Supremacists? Will they prefer Biden?

Dirius

So, Trump's not the choice of the White Supremacists? Will they prefer Biden?

I have no idea what way white supremacists vote, and neither do you. There are no statistics showing how white supremacists actually vote, given they fall under the category of caucasians. What I do know, is I have not seen Trump made any negative comment against black americans.

Biden says racists things about blacks, such as defining who is and who isn't black.

Show me one statement by Trump in which he is racist against black americans. An actual statement. Not an unproven allegation by the media.

david starling

I have no idea what way white supremacists vote, and neither do you. There are no statistics showing how white supremacists actually vote, given they fall under the category of caucasians. What I do know, is I have not seen Trump made any negative comment against black americans.

Biden says racists things about blacks, such as defining who is and who isn't black.

Show me one statement by Trump in which he is racist against black americans. An actual statement. Not an unproven allegation by the media.

Wonder if Osa's aunt is openly pro-Trump? Just curious.

david starling

Just one statement david. Been asking you one for 4 years. Shouldn't be hard.

One action? Sued twice by the Justice Department for refusing to rent rent his real estate holdings to black tenants. Trump's on record during those lawsuits asking, "Would you like to live with them?"

Dirius

One action? Sued twice by the Justice Department for refusing to rent rent his real estate holdings to black tenants. Trump's on record during those lawsuits asking, "Would you like to live with them?"

Source? There is no record of this statement. Just someone supposedly quoting him, on something he said on a private conversation.

So no statement again, just some allegation.

Can you find one please?

Last edited: