Thirteen sign Ophiuchus

astrofonder

scientists says there is another sign "Ophiuchus " in the Zodiac. it is thirteen sign. it rules the people who take birth between 30th nov. to 17 dec. is it true? should we use it in astrology?

byjove

Account Closed
Hi, I mean this in the kindest, most respectful way, but there are many threads on this, old and new, and many of them are very active; I'm writing in a few of them. I think you'll get good responses there. Firstly, keep watching New Posts, if that fails, you'll find them in the search area. But like I say, we're writing in existing threads on exactly this several times a day so you'll find good debate!

waybread

You will also find a thread on Ophiuchus on the Skyscript forum and several on the Astrodienst forum. BTW, Ophiuchus is not the "13th sign." You can find out why on these other threads.

Mark

I considered starting a thread in this forum on this topic, but I didn't have any new information to provide. The 13-sign zodiac is a tradition and should be regarded as such, just like the 12-sign zodiac. In the same way that the tropical and sidereal zodiacs (both 12-sign) can describe the same Truth in different ways, so can the 13-sign zodiac. It is not mutually exclusive with the systems we already use. It is simply a different system. It can be made useful, I'm sure, but this is a R&D forum. The only reason to post something about it here is to offer methods that could make it useful. Perhaps dhundhun could help us out?

JUPITERASC

Ophiuchus is not a new constellation, it was catalogued with many others in Ptolemy's 2nd-century treastise, Almagest :smile:
(an astronomical text of huge historical standing), where it is referred to as Septentarius, "the serpent holder".8
It was always realised that the ecliptic cuts through a small part of this constellation, but it is a very large constellation,
the majority of which the zodiac fails to embrace, so it was not considered a "zodiac constellation".
The clarifying account of the editors of Encyclopaedia Britannica (2014) gives a very accurate and reliable explanation
of what the zodiac is and why the Sun "regularly passes through one constellation (Ophiuchus) that is not considered a member of the zodiac"
http://skyscript.co.uk/zodiac.html

Regardless of where the boundaries of Ophiuchus are placed, astrologers have always taken meaningful associations from the stars of this and other constellations.
Astrological interest focuses on the brightest and most culturally significant stars in the sky,
and the meaning attributed to them has been acquired over many centuries.
This long-established meaning is not lost according to what division of the zodiac a star falls in,
or if the boundaries of the constellations are adjusted,
although this might give rise to new cultural associations that become meaningful for astrologers over time.
[For the astrological meaning attributed to Ophiuchus and its stars, see here].