Is this a good life motto?

R4VEN

IMO - it's a tad nihilistic.

For instance, what if you perceive someone is attempting to destroy you, but you are mistaken, and in fact they fear you are trying to destroy them? This sounds to me a lot like how the US views the rest of the world, and it ain't working!!!

And `be good to those who are good'. That's also very subjective. Who decides what is `good'?

How about something simpler.................like: Treat others as I would like to be treated. That way you have no need to make any kind of value judgements about others.

smilingsteph

Well I love the first line
I live by the second and I wish I didnt.

I am so much of a survivor that I fight those who fight me, rather than take a step back and take the high road. What is this high road? I hear it is the one where you dont say anything, you dont react. I am too much of a reactive person to sit back and let things happen around me.
I am too compulsive, trying to control things around me to allow for things to freely come about.

I wish I didnt live that second line, that way I would be less stressed out, less full of anxiety and more tolerant of myself.

I have been thinking about this aspect within myself for a very long time now. I have been trying to break this cycle of survival, because I dont need to survive but I need to start living. So this is a very interesting motto, and I am working day by day to rid myself of this behavior, it is unhealthy.

R4VEN

I tried the turn the other cheek doormat Jesus routine but the push-pull effect of my oppositions won't allow it. When every inch of your body and mind tells you to lash out, all your willpower is geared towards keeping your composure. There's no room left for placating your adversary that only compounds the situation...
Glad you like the avatar. I like it too.

I am not suggesting that we `placate then adversary'. There are a myriad of ways of reacting and acting in situations. It need not be an either/or situation.

By `treat others as you would like to be treated' I don't mean turn the other cheek. What I mean is put yourself in their shoes, and treat them as you would like to be treated were you them..... It takes practise to do this properly. For instance, sometimes I have acted badly and have deserved to be ignored - for others to have just ignored me and not given me the benefit of a reaction. This is what I do to `bad behaviour' - rudeness, childish tantrums, verbal abuse. Most people behave badly in order to manipulate a situation by getting a reaction. If you react back, then they get what they want, and nothing ever changes. If you ignore them, they look like a prat, and they have then to deal with that.

Behind your motivation in interacting with others needs to be an understanding that any interaction is not only about you. And you also need to be aware that you have not the right to control what another says or does. All you can control is how you react, and this is best if it is conscious, rather than just a repetition of what they have done to you.

R4VEN

Corporate leaders, political leaders, heck even religious leaders all lie, cheat and steal their way to the top. What sort of example does that set?
A really, really bad one!!!
Which is why I suggest that you don't do what they do. Many corporate and political leaders are sociopathic and so have no empathy - no awareness of what they do to others, and nor do they care.

Glad you don't mean turn the other cheek. That's what I was alluding to, if someone is purposefully out to get you - shouldn't you take them out first. For example, if someone at work is spreading vicious rumors about you, will ignoring them awaken them to their despicable behavior? Will your co-workers see you as noble rather than weak? Wouldn't it better to return the favor, especially like Stephanie says, if your survival depends on it? If your rival has no desire to seek a middle ground, if all bridges have been burned then what is the alternative? :crying:
If your survival depends upon it you have to act, but preferably not in the way they act towards you, because this is what they expect. If you have to act, then you owe it to yourself to do the unexpected - and that takes a lot of skill, and certainly some patience.

As to `take them out first' - no, I reckon that if you can it's best to sit back and watch them crash and burn.
Remember always that bullies get off on the power. If you show that you are not affected by what they do (even if you are!) then this will have the effect of either they escalate, or they move on to someone else. If someone is out to get you - and is not interested in `getting' anyone else - then you have several choices. My technique is to allow them to act in the expectation that they will eventually shoot themselves in the foot. I'm talking about everyday, ordinary people here, and not corporate bullies, as they use a different level of power-over-others.

I say what I have said here because if you act first before they `get' you, then you are like them!!!!!!!!!! Is that what/who you wish to be? This is about who you are, and how you act is an integral part of who you are.

I agree with your outlook in general though and you make many good points and are wise. :wink:
Thanks, t.
I've been called `wise' since I was about 14! Sometimes it can be boring, but I can always sleep at night knowing I have not intentionally hurt anyone else.
We all have choices, and I have learned to not be unduly influenced by the intentions of others - because that is what they want!!! It is all about power, and if you have power over yourself you do not need to exert power over another. Let them spread their rumours. If the rumours are untrue then for yourself, you have nothing to worry about. You will eventually find out how strong, decent/corrupt your work colleagues are. It's a test for you, but it is also a test for them. If you react to this, then they `get' you. Ride it out and see where it takes you.

[PS. Just checked your natal chart, t. That natal Mercury inconjunct Saturn seemss to be working overtime for you!! Tr Pluto conj your Neptune in the 8th is a bit dark, and also tr Saturn is squaring your Neptune. Perhaps your `reality' is being changed. This energy will certain convince you that you are being victimized, and you are probably feeling weakened by this. Hold on. Your reality is being challenged!]

Last edited:

piercethevale

...a few years ago there was a commercial for the soft drink "Sprite" which featured a talking doll that always exclaimed "Show 'em my mott-toe!"
i had mine made into a needlepoint sampler...when the conversation, or situation, warrants it at my place I exclaim the same phrase and point to the 'sampler', which reads:

"F*** THE DRAMA!"

piercethevale

...but seriously...the best motto I know of is one that is also a mantra/prayer/affirmation.
The most effective mantras I know of [from personal experience] are those in the ancient tongue of Sanskrit. Almost every single modern language in the Indo-European tree of languages can trace its origin to Sanskrit and before that the even more ancient Vedic...and ancient tongues are more pure in form/substance. [I have seen incantation work!]
A very simple and most effective Sanskrit/Vedic mantra, that would also be an excellent motto, is "Soham" [So-ham] it's English equivilent is "I Am"...both are considered to be very powerful spiritual affirmations.
Edgar Cayce once was questioned, while in trance, as to what is Mankinds greatest gift...[talent/proclivity/attribute] He replied that the power to speak...to utter words, is our greatest and most powerful attribute. As He reminded the inquirer that God manifested all of creation with but a Word [AUM or OM]...and we have that same ability if we master our ability to concentrate [meditate] on what we wish to manifest/create. [and this technique has been known from ancient times to the present in India/Tibet]..Rudhyar also talks about this in some of his writings...in particular his book on the Sabian Symbols in the chapters following the descriptions of the 360 symbols.
One should, thus, be cautious and considerate when choosing a 'Life Motto'...as, if you repeat it often and ernestly enough, you do become it!:wink:

Last edited:

Niplan

Banned
that's actually a parallel to a law in the church of satanism

[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]4. Satan represents kindness to those who deserve it instead of love wasted on ingrates!
[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]5. Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek! [/FONT]

http://www.churchofsatan.com/home.html