Elements Question

I was reading Jeff Greens book and a part in the book talks about a person who may have 0 planets in earth for example and this would not necessarily mean that he would not be practical or responsible he most likely might be very responsible and not have to learn those earth element lessons. Most Astrology books have always taught me that if you have an element low in your chart you would have to learn to develop some of the traits of that element e.g Fire - needing to learn optimism, and self confidence and water needing to learn about Emotions and how to develop the expression of the emotions. The psychic Sylvia Browne in the Astrology book she had written said that having an emphasis in water would mean you are learning lessons on earth about how to handle your emotions and sensitivity.

From the perspective of my own chart, solar fire gave me a score for Water of 9 and Earth of 9 and I scored 3 for Air and 2 for Fire.

I wouldn't say I am a person who is well developed concerning confidence as I have low fire plus Saturn is in my 1st house a Fire house. Self Confidence issues have always been there for me. I also need to learn not to get too emotionally overwhelmed and I am learning to be more practical in my life, I do have a responsible nature but can at times drift away from my responsibilities, I have to push myself to do the boring daily tasks. I am trying not to see these daily chores as boring but more as the necessary tasks which need to done, and I know once they are done I can get back to the hobbies and things I enjoy doing. I am not sure which perspective to look at concerning the elements now, as always with astrology and life their are different views. How does everybody else look at the elements in their charts?

Lissa

Hi Shining_Ray,

I never heard of the first theory you mention(that lack of planets in a certain element show the person is good at the affairs of that element).Perhaps it comes from a more karmic perspective.I will try to explain myself:if,in another life,the person had lots of planets in Earth signs,the soul would have learned how to master the affairs of that element and then evolve to this life without needing much Earth in the chart because it had already dealt with Earth matters and is now ready to learn how to master the other elements(don't know if I sounded clear:eek: ).Anyway,this is just a hunch.That's an interesting theory which requires taking a closer look at,I'm interested to hear other's opinions.

Well,counting all the planets from Sun to Pluto+Chiron+Ascendant+Nodes,I have4planets in Water(South Node included),4planets in Earth(all the four in Capricorn,including the North Node),4planets in Fire and2planets in Air.Seems quite balanced to me,altough I tend to express the Fire and Water in my chart in a more natural way,meaning that my moods change quickly and my feelings are easily aroused,altough my "darker"moods tend do go away as fast as they come.I'm very enthusiasthic and have lots of faith in life,which sometimes turns into a negative thing-even when things are finished and everyone agrees that there's no more hope left,I'm still there,held on to the idea that everything will turn out alright.I may not be big on Air but I do have6planets in Air houses(and Pluto in the end of the10th),so Airy things are not a problem to me.

Funny,even though I have4planets in Earth signs I do feel like I need to work on my Earth.The Capricornian energies in my chart are very hard for me to deal with.I'm very unstable,have trouble focusing and,even though I can be very mature and responsable when I'm asked to I would rather be lazzy or have childlike,inoccent fun.I don't really like to deal with the material world,with those day to day details that need to be taken care of and,after spending the morning cleaning the bathrooms in my house,I can really empathize with you:p . Of course,I'm only a teenager,experiencying typical teenager issues,so this will probably get easier as I grow older.

Greetings,
Lissa

Hi Lissa,

You explained yourself perfectly. :)

Here is the quote from Jeff Green, he was talking about intercepted signs but goes on to talk about the elements.

But what classical Astrology does not mention is that in many cases, there can also be evolutionary reasons that the signs are intercepted. From this view the main reason is that those archetypal dynamics or qualities have been thoroughly developed prior to the current life that they no longer need active development. The soul now intends to to emphasize other archetypal dynamics or qualities that it needs to develop in order to proceed. This is no different than having the elements water, fire, earth, or air unemphasized-zero earth for example. Classical astrology would say that zero earth would correlate to a person who has no intrinsic capacity to be responsible, honor their obligations, lacks self-determination, is unable to accept responsibility for their actions, and so on. And yet many individuals who have zero earth are the very essence of those dynamics. They are born with these abilities highly developed at birth. Classical Astrology has clearly missed something. Once we embrace his evolutionary part of life, then the missing piece is rapidly understood. The real question becomes this how do we tell who is who? How can we determine astrologically speaking, which individuals have already developed the archetypal dynamics or qualities symbolised in the intercepted signs, or elements, and which have not? There is a way.........In the case of elements, zero earth for example, simply determine if the houses which naturally correlate with the elements are occupied or not. If a person had zero earth, yet the natural earth houses in his or her horoscope is occupied by some planet, then this would demonstrate the earth archetype has been developed to some degree prior to this life. If not then classical understanding would apply.

Right O.K I didn't read the whole thing through and it basically explains it the way you have Lissa that if your chart is low in Air but your houses are packed into the Air houses, this shows you don't have a problem with the airy parts of your life. I am low on air but have 5 planets in air houses. I am low on fire but two planets in fire houses but one of them is Saturn which means I lack confidence in the area of expressing myself. My Venus in the 5th house (fire house) is in Capricorn which is a more socially reserved sign. My 3 major planets fall in the 7th house my Sun, Moon and Chart ruler Mercury, I do need to work on relationships in my life but I don't have a problem with getting into relationships with people, this part comes naturally to me, I just need to learn about relating equally.

I have been thinking about this further and I must be more developed in Air than I thought. I have a lot of nice aspects to my Uranus which is in the 3rd house an Air planet in an air house. I am always reading books or on the computer, as I said I don't have trouble connecting to people and forming relationships, I just have trouble when I am in relationships :p . Off the subject slightly - with my intercepted signs I have Gemini and Sagittarius intercepted in my 4th and 10th houses. The ruler of Gemini, Mercury is heavily aspected in my chart as well as being my chart ruler. My South Node ruler is in the sign of Sagittarius, possibly all this might mean that I have developed a lot of the qualities of Sagittarius and Gemini. The planet Jupiter which is Retrograde at the very beginning of Leo could mean I am internalising the Jupiter energy and learning how to express it. According to Jeff Green the person with the retrograde planet is required to experience and define the planetary archetype personally which helps promote and accelerate the evolutionary development of the individual.

Lissa

A3rd house Uranus-Einstein had the same:D .

I really believe in free-will,and I think astrology helps us open our eyes so we don't keep falling in the same ruts.Since you have5planets in Air houses,you've already mastered Airy things and so you can really focus on developing your Fire/Earth so your soul can move to something else on your next life,and I should probably do the same with my Earth(I just hope house cleaning doesn't make part of the path:D lol).

I also have Retrograde Jupiter in early Leo,and I've read several descriptions of Retrograde planets and Retrograde Jupiter as well and they never seemed to fit me or resonate with my life experiences.I don't feel like I've been expressing my Jupiterian qualities in an inward manner.In fact,whenever I ask someone to describe me,people usually use typical Jupiterian characteristics to do it:cheerful,positive-minded,energic,overenthusiastic(in fact,that's all people can say about me,no one ever talks about my beautiful heart or my big brains:D -I'm joking).

I believe it all comes down to the amount of effort you put in your path.It's the same thing with debilitated planets-if you do your best to work the affairs of that planet you'll eventually feel more comfortable with it.

But it's a curious thing that neither of us has a lack of Earth in the chart and we both feel like we need to work on our Earth.

Lissa

A 3rd house Uranus-Einstein had the same:D .

Ha ha :D My Uranus must be asleep in my 3rd house, I haven't got the brains of Einstein, I just about passed my exams in school, and not by the best marks either :p. Einstein has a Mercury/Saturn Conjunction in Aries if I remember right, a lot of his new ideas could be slowed down and brought in to form. I have Mercury trine Uranus and Jupiter but squares Neptune my Mercury being in Pisces my mind thinks through the imagination and my more intuitive side, probably why I drawn to Astrology I like to work with symbols and imagery. Although I admit I need to focus my learning more.

I really believe in free-will, and I think astrology helps us open our eyes so we don't keep falling in the same ruts.Since you have5planets in Air houses,you've already mastered Airy things and so you can really focus on developing your Fire/Earth so your soul can move to something else on your next life,and I should probably do the same with my Earth(I just hope house cleaning doesn't make part of the path:D lol).

Yes your right it is definitely the fire element I need to work on and being more practical.

I also have Retrograde Jupiter in early Leo,and I've read several descriptions of Retrograde planets and Retrograde Jupiter as well and they never seemed to fit me or resonate with my life experiences.I don't feel like I've been expressing my Jupiterian qualities in an inward manner.In fact,whenever I ask someone to describe me,people usually use typical Jupiterian characteristics to do it:cheerful,positive-minded,energic,overenthusiastic(in fact,that's all people can say about me,no one ever talks about my beautiful heart or my big brains:D -I'm joking).

I wouldn't say people notice my Jupiter in Leo 11th, usually this would be a very outgoing placement by itself but in relation to the rest of my chart I have a Sun Opposed Saturn tightly on my asc/desc this makes a big impact on how I am in the world. With Jupiter being Retrograde I do have an inner faith that always keeps going through the hard times.

I believe it all comes down to the amount of effort you put in your path.It's the same thing with debilitated planets-if you do your best to work the affairs of that planet you'll eventually feel more comfortable with it.

It does all come down to the effort you put into life. I was reading on another site the other day and it had a quote on there saying "Awareness is nothing without action" this is what learning Astrology is like you gain a lot of self understanding, become more aware of yourself, but then don't do anything to try and change the negative patterns in your life. Becoming Aware is the first step but you have to take the next step and try to make the changes in your life which are necessary for your personal happiness.

But it's a curious thing that neither of us has a lack of Earth in the chart and we both feel like we need to work on our Earth.
My earth is on the asc with Saturn and NN in Virgo, I am still in the process of developing these qualities, into my personality. :)