Which one is the more difficult house? The 8th house or the 12th House?

And why? I love 8th House Sun and 12th House Sun celebrities because their strugglesand their work are perfect examples of what these Houses represent.

dr. farr

The answer depends entirely upon the situation of those houses in a given chart. Intrinsically no house is all good and no house is all bad: yes 8th house can indicate death, but also indicates longevity. Yes, 12th house can indicate restrictions and self-undoing, but also indicates liberation. In judging potential influences of planets, the various houses have a relation to this, of course (angular, succedent and cadent houses) But for the QUALITY of each house (relative to the significations of each house), that depends entirely upon the specific circumstances of that house in that chart...

Cypocryphy

Personally I would say the twelfth house. This is if you look at the polarity of the houses, such as the 2nd to the 8th or the 6th to the 12th; the overall polarity of the latter tends to be pernicious, causing greater problems. Each house absorbs and reflects a bit of the house that it is diametrically opposed. But then again, each house has a special array of significations, some of which are benign. To label a house as "worst" is relative. It depends on what you are looking for, really, and the way the chart is arranged.

In classical literature, the 8th and the 12th seem to share an equal level of disdain.

poyi

Premium Member
I like to think of houses in elementary groups and escalate in numbers. Such as 1st, 4th, 7th, 10th, I see 10th as the strongest. While Water houses like 4th, 8th, and 12th, I see 12th to be the most powerful between the three in both positive and negative way depending on the natal configurations and promises.

Gorgina

I'm still new to astrology and I don't understand, why a house as such could be bad or good. Are it not the planets in a house and especially the aspects they make, what makes a house good or bad?.

I fail to see, how a planet in "good" 10th house and square most of the other planets could be better than a planet in "bad" 6/8/12 without squares and with several trines/sextiles.