North Node Return

DevilshAngel

This has recently been something I have noticed. I've never really looked into the nodes before. What do the events surrounding this return mean? Large importance in your life? Karma wise, something in this lifetime?

Arian Maverick

Perhaps other transits influenced this. I remember how I watched my first nodal return with the great expectation that something should happen. Perhaps it was so subtle it evaded this Arian's notice. :whistling:

Arian Maverick

DevilshAngel

Perhaps other transits influenced this. I remember how I watched my first nodal return with the great expectation that something should happen. Perhaps it was so subtle it evaded this Arian's notice. :whistling:

Arian Maverick
I wasn't watching for it, I wasn't even into Astrology much at the time, and it just so happened to be at that exact time of the year? Oh no, plus to more I am learning about the NN it makes perfect sense. But the drama that came with it could have been other influences along with it. Influencing how it happened.

Arian Maverick

I wasn't watching for it, I wasn't even into Astrology much at the time, and it just so happened to be at that exact time of the year? Oh no, plus to more I am learning about the NN it makes perfect sense. But the drama that came with it could have been other influences along with it. Influencing how it happened.

I do not discount your experience; I simply wished to provide another viewpoint so members who read this thread do not assume the nodal return or nodal opposition always heralds dramatic life events.

I agree that the North Node is a significant influence in natal charts, but personally, I have not experienced nodal transits to be significant. This does not mean that they are not significant for some people, however.

Arian Maverick

JerryRR

During the first Nodal Return,transiting Jupiter opposes natal Jupiter and transiting Chiron inconjuncts natal Chiron.
May I suggest you explore these transits with your natal chart?

J. :)

EJ53

Banned
...nodal returns are significant - but often subtle - life turning points.
I have NN in Taurus/8th...

My first Node Return (at age 18) marked the end of my time in the UK school system, and the beginning of my professional career...

...At my second Node Return (age 37), I achieved something that caused my profession to regard me as an expert rather than "just another member"...So, it marked the point at which my further development was through "self-actualisation" rather than the education/training/experience of others...

...And at the third Node Return (at age 56), I ceased to be a protective parent/teacher of my two children and began learning from the two adults whom I am proud to have fathered.

However, (as R4VEN and AM have said) none of these turning points struck me as being significant at the time...But hindsight enables me to see now that these endings and beginings (8th house) increased my self-worth (Taurus) and "grounded" my SN views about the cycle/spiral of life (Scorpio/2nd).

EJ

R4VEN

.But hindsight enables me to see now that these endings and beginings (8th house) increased my self-worth (Taurus) and "grounded" my SN views about the cycle/spiral of life (Scorpio/2nd).

EJ
Since EJ53 and I are roughly the same age, I wandered through my ephemeris in search of my own NN returns, listed them, and came up with a strange conclusion.

Firstly, I agree that they are rarely dramatic at the time. It is hard to determine at the time of a NN return how this moment, this day, this week/month will impact upon one's life direction. But it seems that it does.

I have come to the conclusion that I have experienced SN returns, more than NN returns. That is, my NN returns have reflected my struggle to access my NN. I have NN in Taurus in the 4th.

At each of my returns there was an event which emerged as a medical condition - in one case (at 18) a serious illness which my mother later confessed she believed was potentially fatal!!!!! - which I now know was an indication that my soul did not wish to continue in that particular direction. The problem for me has been that I did continue in that same direction, believing I had no other choices available.

It's clear to me now that in order to make the most of the NN return, an understanding of the requirements of one's own NN is absolutely essential.

Arian Maverick

ArianM,

Perhaps it makes sense to see what aspects your nodes are making in your chart to deduce how strong of influence a Nodal Return will have or not have... just a thought. There is a connection between these facts and the impact a Nodal Return will have. For example, let's say a Native has SN Conjunct Sun; it would make sense, given the importance/strength/magnitude of the Sun's natural influence in the Natal Chart, that a Nodal Return for this Native would be felt more dramatically, as opposed to an individual who's Nodes make subtler aspects in the chart. From what I can see in your chart (from your profile) your Nodes don't make many aspects, in fact only two major aspects, a square to Jupiter, and sextile to Uranus, and one minor aspect, a semi-sextile to your Moon. Moreover, your North Node, the direction you are moving in, is in the 12th house, so you may not notice it or be able to quite pinpoint it's style or quality of influence, in the first place.

Mod.

Claire19

This has recently been something I have noticed. I've never really looked into the nodes before. What do the events surrounding this return mean? Large importance in your life? Karma wise, something in this lifetime?
North Node return is not really valid. It is only a placement or a point in our charts and not a planet or even a fixed star. Nodes relate to the person only born on that particular day.

Claire19

ArianM,

Perhaps it makes sense to see what aspects your nodes are making in your chart to deduce how strong of influence a Nodal Return will have or not have... just a thought. There is a connection between these facts and the impact a Nodal Return will have. For example, let's say a Native has SN Conjunct Sun; it would make sense, given the importance/strength/magnitude of the Sun's natural influence in the Natal Chart, that a Nodal Return for this Native would be felt more dramatically, as opposed to an individual who's Nodes make subtler aspects in the chart. From what I can see in your chart (from your profile) your Nodes don't make many aspects, in fact only two major aspects, a square to Jupiter, and sextile to Uranus, and one minor aspect, a semi-sextile to your Moon. Moreover, your North Node, the direction you are moving in, is in the 12th house, so you may not notice it or be able to quite pinpoint it's style or quality of influence, in the first place.

Mod.
I dont use minor aspects with nodes and certainly not transitting nodes. They are not valid. They are points in a natal chart that belong to the person born on that day only.....and are not after all planets or fixed stars. The orbs are smaller than with planets and I use only conjunctions and oppositions that are tight.

Last edited:

dr. farr

Many (including me) consider the nodes of great astrological importance and influence (in jyotish-Vedic-astrology they have always been accorded status equivalent to that of the planets; they have always played a role in Chinese astrology as well )
Those of us who adhere to this great respect for the nodes, consider their progressions and profections and transits, to often be of significant influence...

R4VEN

Those of us who adhere to this great respect for the nodes, consider their progressions and profections and transits, to often be of significant influence...
And I also am one of these people. I have observed this too many times to ignore it.

Rudolf Steiner also had great respect for the first nodal return (in particular), as a significant karmic point in one's life, as he did for the cycles of Saturn, and based much of his theory of childhood eduction on these cycles. [I still (as a former teacher of early adolescents) agree with his theory - and subsequent practice - that formal education is inappropriate and unnecessary for children before they have reached their 1st Saturn square.]

Claire19

Arian Maverick
Nodal returns are not valid in my opinion, so that may explain it. Any effects may well be as a result of other influences in the chart I would suggest.

Last edited:

Claire19

Many (including me) consider the nodes of great astrological importance and influence (in jyotish-Vedic-astrology they have always been accorded status equivalent to that of the planets; they have always played a role in Chinese astrology as well )
I would like some proof of events that are triggered when there is a nodal return.....anyone???

THey are extremely important in a natal chart and other transits by planets to them natally would be worthy of note...if there is a connection natally again.

My argument is that they are points in a chart and the transitting node of that period belongs only to the native born then.....I would like to be dissuaded of this opinion by anyone with legitimate experience of it.

dr. farr

For predictive work I use profection first and foremost; then SR, then simple symbolic progressions and transits (I use profection-conditioned transits but that's another story) So my experiences with the nodes (and I must admit, mostly with the South Node) is nearly completely limited to these techniques rather than specifically to nodal returns. I could provide many examples of the action of nodes in the predictive models I use (mentioned above), but can, off hand, think of only 2 specifically involving nodal returns: my own, and that of my late wife. But each (experienced) practitioner must decide by a review of their own cases, if "proof" on any nodal return influence exists or not: limited examples given in a forum thread really don't "prove" anthing, because the charge of "coincidence" can always be levelled against such limited examples: only a statistically significant, randomly chosen sample (of at least 200 randomly chosen charts), tested for evidence of nodal return influences, could tend (and only tend) to answer the "give me proof" demand. That's why I say, if one wishes to test this nodal return matter (or indeed any astrological matter), for one's own edification, then the practitioner should go over their collection of charts and see whether or not substantial evidence of nodal return influences can be discerned. One must also realize that there is rarely only one celestial influence triggering any event: I follow Charles Carter (and others) in believing that it almost always requires a confluence of similar celestial operative influences acting together-at least a couple of them-in order to "cause" something-one influence alone will rarely trigger on its own.

I believe that nodal returns can be one of those influences...

Last edited:

Yennefer

I dont use minor aspects with nodes and certainly not transitting nodes. They are not valid. They are points in a natal chart that belong to the person born on that day only.....and are not after all planets or fixed stars. The orbs are smaller than with planets and I use only conjunctions and oppositions that are tight.

ASC, Black Moon Lilith or Part of Fortune are also only mathematical points, but in my experience, their transits can be felt.

It may also be a matter of how sensitive is one to transits generally, for example, I am very sensitive even to short, passing influences (Neptune in 1st, Moon trine Neptune, Merury in Pisces conj IC) so I actually feel when transiting Moon squares my Sun (it´s likely that I won´t feel too well), opposes my natal Saturn (then I would be in a "leave me alone" mood) or transiting POF or ASC on my natal personal planets.

These are transits that occur every day. Nodal transits or transits of BML are much rarer and are felt as well. BML transits, for me personally, usually had to do something with sex or some power issues either in myself or others. I cannot give you any "proof" because everyone has to decide for themselves. I just know that it works for me.

When my son was born, transiting South node was conjunct my natal North node (and vice versa). This of course doesn´t happen to everyone when their child is born and there were also other indications of an important events, both in transits and in progressions, I agree with Dr. Farr that there are always several influences in any event.

I kept a diary when I was in my teens and just looked at what happened when when I had a Nodal return at the of 18. When I was 17, I fell in love with a guy and he liked me as well, but we never took it any further, because we had problem communicating. I was sad because of it and blamed him for not behaving like I would like him to be and I actually questioned whether he liked me at all. For that day (the nodal return), I wrote in my diary that "today, out of a sudden, I realised that I had a large role in our separation because I thought it was up to him to do something about it, to approach me the way I wanted and I took it for granted. I guess I made it really difficult for him. It was me who had too big expectations and it feels relieving to know that so I won´t do it ever again. I won´t no longer blame anyone for something that I am responsible for as well."
My natal North node is in 8th house ("letting go" of "emotional attachments") and I had to let go of him.
So you see, it doesn´t have to be any big event, it can be much more internal (but when I look back at it, you realise that it had huge impact on my personal life).

Last edited: