Part of End of Things - Pars Finium Rerum

Cap

Short excerpt from Zoller's "Bonati on the Arabic Parts"
The ninth part of the fourth house is called part of the ends of things or pars finium rerum and is taken by day from Saturn to the lord of the sign of the conjunction if the figure is conjunctional (i.e. if the horoscope is after New Moon) or to the lord of the sign of the prevention if the figure is preventional (i.e. if the horoscope is after the Full Moon), and it is projected from the ascendant. And Albumassar said that if this part and its lord are in signs of short ascension (directae ascesionis) or are otherwise fortunate, the end of the businesses of the native or querent will be good or their nature laudable. However, if they are in tortuous signs or are impeded, their ends will be bad. And if one of them is in a direct sign and other in tortuous sign, their ends will be complicated, neither entirely good nor entirely bad. And Albumassar said, "After this the thing reverts to that which will be signified by the sign in which the lord of the part is."

I have 2 questions if someone can help me clarify things:

1) ...from Saturn to the lord of the sign of the conjunction if the figure is conjunctional (i.e. if the horoscope is after New Moon) or to the lord of the sign of the prevention if the figure is preventional (i.e. if the horoscope is after the Full Moon), and it is projected from the ascendant.

I assumed he's talking about previous lunation (Syzygy or SAN).
Also, my software gives formula: End of things (ASC+SAN-Saturn)

Is this correct?

2) ...and is taken by day...

He mentioned that this is day formula, but also he never mentioned that formula should be reversed in a night chart.

Should I use reversed formula for a night chart?

Last edited:

tsmall

Premium Member
I have 2 questions if someone can help me clarify things:

1) ...from Saturn to the lord of the sign of the conjunction if the figure is conjunctional (i.e. if the horoscope is after New Moon) or to the lord of the sign of the prevention if the figure is preventional (i.e. if the horoscope is after the Full Moon), and it is projected from the ascendant.

I assumed he's talking about previous lunation (Syzygy or SAN).
Also, my software gives formula: End of things (ASC+SAN-Saturn)

Is this correct?

2) ...and is taken by day...

He mentioned that this is day formula, but also he never mentioned that formula should be reversed in a night chart.

Should I use reversed formula for a night chart?

Quote from Abu Ma'shar Great Introduction to the Science of the Stars, as translated by Benjamin Dykes in ITA

It is taken in the day and the night from Saturn to the Lord of the house of the conjunction (if he were born conjunctional) or to the Lord of the house of the prevention (if he were born preventional), and from above is increased the degrees of the Ascendant, and it is projected from the Ascendant. Which if this Lot and the Lord of its house were in signs of straight ascension, or made fortunate, the ends of matters will be good. But if they were in signs of crooked ascension or impeded, the ends of his matters will be bad. And if they were different, that is, if one of them were in a straight sign and the other in a crooked sign, there will be diversity and a commingling in the ends of his matters; after this, the matter will revert to that which the sign in which the Lord of the Lot is, signifies.

al-Qabisi also appears to agree that the lot is the same by day and night.

The Lot of the end of things is taken in the day and night from Saturn up to the Lord of the house of the conjunction or the prevention, and the degree of the Ascendant is added from above, and it is projected from the Ascendant.

dr. farr

I have always understood this formula as same for day and night.
Note that straight signs are signs of long ascension, and crooked signs are those of short ascension (and these reverse according to being in either the Northern or Southern hemisphere)
I'll also note that the attribution of fortunate results to straight signs and difficult results to crooked signs, by Bonatti and al-Qabisi, is reversed (albeit regarding a different subject, in this case regarding beginnings-ie, inceptions) in the earlier works of Dorotheus of Sidon and Vettius Valens...