Trying to understand Mercury retrogrades

L.C.

Greetings,

Tell me--how do the Mercury retrogrades really work, in terms of our personal charts? I know we are heading towards our 2nd Mercury Retrograde of the year, starting this weekend. Maybe someone can tell me if what I (think I) understand is correct:

The only things I've come to learn about Retrogrades are what we typically read on some astrology sites--careful with making plans and traveling, communication problems and technical glitches and hiccups. I've found some truth in all of that, but, as with all things astrological, I know there's far more than meets the eye.

Thinking back on the February/March 2007 Mercury Retrograde (in Aquarius, my "career" sign?), I personally began to seriously consider changing careers. I sought advice from several people working in that field, and mulled long and hard for those couple of weeks, searching for an answer. Once Mercury moved forward again, I had to get back to my present jobs at hand, but still wanted to change careers.

Now that I have some free time, I'm again back to thinking about changing into that field, and, what do you know--a Mercury retrograde is upon us yet again!

What are Mercury retrogrades for, really? Is it a more introspective time, where you gather information and store it for future reference? I'm assuming it's not the best time to make concrete decisions, as you can probably change your mind once Mercury moves forward again?

Am I on the right track here?

johnmike59

Try to think of them as cosmic 'time outs.' If you've noticed whatever you've read about them advises to "RE" everything - rethink, regroup, rethink, take stock, relax.

Obviously, Mercury (messenger of the gods) will and does adversely effect all things to do with communication - so don't buy a new computer or expect problems with all of your appliances. No contracts, no deals, no major purchases and DO NOT START A JOB until Mercury goes direct on July 9th -- actually its effects begin to lessen, to mitigate a few days before.

Actually, wasn't the last retrograde in Pisces? This time it's in Cancer and the last one will be in Scorpio -- all three retrogrades in each of the Water signs - I can't recall when that happened last! But where Mercury is when it goes 'retrograde" is key, so that's yet another component that should merit your consideration.

Mercury in Retrograde effects all of us - but especially those signs it rules and where Mercury is in your chart.

Take nothing for granted - REcheck everything you do and you'll emerge from all of this unscathed.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

freedomlover

johnmike59,

Actually, wasn't the last retrograde in Pisces?
Actually, that was my first thought, too, when I read L.C.'s post about the last Mercury retrograde cycle being in Aquarius.

Then, as I thought on it, I seemed to recall that Mercury began the retrograde in Pisces. Then it did dip back into the last degrees of Aquarius during the last retrograde period, and I think, stationed direct in Aquarius. It then resumed its course through Pisces.

My memory may not be serving me correctly, but I think that was the way it went the last time around. :rolleyes:

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
The Pisces retrograde cycle was really, really bad for me. However, the Scorpio one previous to that came and went as if nothing happened. For this retrograde cycle, I was afraid it would be similar to the Pisces one, but so far nothing has occured.

Oddly enough, this Cancer retrograde went exactly over my natal Chiron at 11 Cancer. Nothing's happened, so no wonder I don't agree with Chiron. I was looking forward to seeing what would occur when Mercury went back over my Jupiter at 0 Cancer, however this will not occur as Mercury will go stationary direct at 2 Cancer.

L.C.

Thanks for the responses.

Here's a quick observation I've made: I'm in the process of (again) wanting to switch up careers. My father knows this, as I've shared it with him, but unlike myself, he doesn't really go a lot by his gut instincts. He's pressuring me to meet up with people in the career I want to switch to, while I want to (instinctively) hold back, take this "time out," as you rightfully describe it, and just work on getting some personal projects finished for myself.

I was out for a walk today nearly fuming to myself, because I hate being pressured into doing things (Sun/Mercury in Taurus, Mars in Cancer, just so ya know ;)), before I'm ready to do them.

I'm thinking it all may be a waste of time to meet with these "higher ups," especially given this retrograde cycle, which, btw, has been real "easy" for me come to think of it.

I know they say it's good to gather information during these times, do your research and all that. I just don't want to present myself in such a state, since I'm not really ready. Does that make sense?

What do you think?

unukalhai

Taking action on the subjects contemplated during Mercury RX is indicated by the period following the retrograde.

Mercury went RX at 11Can35, and will backtrack to 2Can28 on July 9th or 10th, depending on which side of world you're on. Station direct is July 10th, 2:15AM UTC. Mercury takes 14 days, this cycle, to catch back up to it's position of RX station at 11Can35, around noon UTC on the 24th. The 10th to the 24th is the best period to start (read: start; not finish or finalize, but begin) taking actions on what you've contemplated during the RX period.

So, in essence, wait until the RX is over, see if you still are interested in going forward with career exploration, and if so, decide what steps are best. You'll have a better idea of your goals, and you'll be able to communicate better with people.

IMHO, I would recommend talking to people who actually do the work you are considering, not the "higher ups" or management -- In today's world of the "career manager" (yuppy snob who gets his MBA or similar and goes right into management, rarely doing the real work first) you may find that management or the other forms of higher ups live in a glass tower, not reality. You want the view from the ground, not from the glass tower. Today's "career managers" focus on their climb up the tower, not the "menial labor" (as they see it) that occurs beneath them. Gotta love the corporate world these days, it's a sham... Unfortunately the days of learning by doing at an early age and moving up the ladder based on hard work and accomplishment are over.

Whatever the case, good luck with your career moves! I hope they work out well :)

Last edited:

johnmike59

freedomlover said:
johnmike59,

Actually, that was my first thought, too, when I read L.C.'s post about the last Mercury retrograde cycle being in Aquarius.

Then, as I thought on it, I seemed to recall that Mercury began the retrograde in Pisces. Then it did dip back into the last degrees of Aquarius during the last retrograde period, and I think, stationed direct in Aquarius. It then resumed its course through Pisces.

My memory may not be serving me correctly, but I think that was the way it went the last time around. :rolleyes:

Hey Freedom Lover, your memory serves you well! It began in Pisces and then dip back in Aquarius, just as you say! To compound matters, it went Retrograde on February 13, just as the Sun was leaving Aquarius to enter Pisces. But then it resumed its course, as you say, in Pisces!

I am a Virgo I, Mercury rules my decanate (sp?) , so I am VERY vigilant about these retrogrades -- but I find, as I've posted, if one is prepared and RE ALL AND SUNDRY, we'll be okay!

You were the first to respond to one of my few posts -- thank you, for I now feel part of the fold! I do have SO much to learn (Virgo ever seeking self-improvement) and this site is absolutely wonderful!

Cheers!

johnmike59

unukalhai said:
Taking action on the subjects contemplated during Mercury RX is indicated by the period following the retrograde.

Mercury went RX at 11Can35, and will backtrack to 2Can28 on July 9th or 10th, depending on which side of world you're on. Station direct is July 10th, 2:15AM UTC. Mercury takes 14 days, this cycle, to catch back up to it's position of RX station at 11Can35, around noon UTC on the 24th. The 10th to the 24th is the best period to start (read: start; not finish or finalize, but begin) taking actions on what you've contemplated during the RX period.

So, in essence, wait until the RX is over, see if you still are interested in going forward with career exploration, and if so, decide what steps are best. You'll have a better idea of your goals, and you'll be able to communicate better with people.

IMHO, I would recommend talking to people who actually do the work you are considering, not the "higher ups" or management -- In today's world of the "career manager" (yuppy snob who gets his MBA or similar and goes right into management, rarely doing the real work first) you may find that management or the other forms of higher ups live in a glass tower, not reality. You want the view from the ground, not from the glass tower. Today's "career managers" focus on their climb up the tower, not the "menial labor" (as they see it) that occurs beneath them. Gotta love the corporate world these days, it's a sham... Unfortunately the days of learning by doing at an early age and moving up the ladder based on hard work and accomplishment are over.

Whatever the case, good luck with your career moves! I hope they work out well :)

johnmike59

Wonderful advice from a professional, I surmise! Still, L.C.. if I were you, I would research this career move, and YES, talk to people -- get the lay of the land, as it were!

Tell me, unikalhai, is it true that if you were born during a M.I.R. that it doesn't have the adverse effects we expect? My friend has been seeing his astrologer for years and this is what he was told -- Friend was born during a Mercury RX and swears much good comes when Mercury RX.

I'd be very interested in your response. :)

I find it FASCINATING that these terrorist plots (London) are foiled when Mercury is retrograde. Wasn't it during the last retrograde that the plot to bomb JFK Airport in NYC was thwarted?

On a lighter note, I have converted many a non-believer to astrology by dint of this phenom. Indeed, my phone rings incessantly -- friends calling to ask when M.I.R starts and ENDS and we all plead M.I.R. -- any miscommunication or mishap and we plead, "M.I.R." and all is forgiven.

My Ascendant is Scorpio 24 degrees -- I am NOT looking forward to the final Mercury RX in October -- but I'll worry about it then a la Scarlet O'Hara!

I think you're all quite amazing and wonderful!

Last edited:

L.C.

Unikalhai, thanks so much for the advice! And I totally agree with your assessment of "upper management" in this day in age---I've been in my current industry for over 10 years, and I can count the number of qualified "directors" I've worked under on ONE hand. It's actually pretty terrible!

What my focus is during this Retro cycle, (and believe me, this isn't the first time I've reconsidered what I'm doing for a living) is working on some personal projects, taking time off from the grind, and just getting all the research done for this next phase in my life. I'll meet with these folks and pick their brain, but yeah, my gut has been telling me to "take it easy." And not worry ;)

Thanks so much for the good insights and wishes. I'll report back on how everything turns out. If I start a new career, I'd love to talk about the chart at the time I make the switch.

unukalhai

L.C. said:
Unikalhai, thanks so much for the advice! And I totally agree with your assessment of "upper management" in this day in age---I've been in my current industry for over 10 years, and I can count the number of qualified "directors" I've worked under on ONE hand. It's actually pretty terrible!

Your welcome :)

Right there with you, my friend. Also at about a decade myself and had the same experience. Only a few times have I had the luck to work for someone with true hands-on experience AND the ability to lead. Maybe I'm crazy, but I expect someone in a "leadership" (if that even exists in the corporate world anymore) role to have solid experience as a basis for their decision making processes. Not just some dude you call boss because he kissed brown and/or is a career manager.

What my focus is during this Retro cycle, (and believe me, this isn't the first time I've reconsidered what I'm doing for a living) is working on some personal projects, taking time off from the grind, and just getting all the research done for this next phase in my life. I'll meet with these folks and pick their brain, but yeah, my gut has been telling me to "take it easy." And not worry ;)

Sounds like you're handling it in a proper manner.

For additional analysis...

Do the RX cycle degrees (11Can RX station, 6Can Mercury-Sun inferior conjunction, 2Can direct station) make close aspects to any important points in your chart? You might consider the meanings of any aspects, as well as the house position of this Mercury RX cycle for clues.

Do you follow your lunar returns? If not, now might be a great time to start. Mercury RX in Cancer, the Moon's sign, puts a focus on our lunar cycle. The monthly lunar return is one of the best indications of our current lunar tides, and I consider each month's return a key chart to study, showing current directions. They become especially important whenever Cancer or the Moon has a strong focus by current transits or personal progressions. A very handy tool!

Thanks so much for the good insights and wishes. I'll report back on how everything turns out. If I start a new career, I'd love to talk about the chart at the time I make the switch.

Anytime :D We'll look forward to hearing back from you!

Tell me, unikalhai, is it true that if you were born during a M.I.R. that it doesn't have the adverse effects we expect?

I am a Mercury RX native myself :D Based on my own experience and the small quantity of other Mercury RX natives I've observed, we generally don't have quite as bad of an experience with Mercury RX. On a personal sense, we are used to the energy, as we were born with it, so we can use it a bit more constructively. However, it seems we still get to contend with the Mercury RX troubles around us... We're not exempt from outwardly Mercurial things (our cars, computers, phones etc) giving us a headache, as the chart for our cell phone provider or car's build date is probably Mercury direct.

Mercury retrograding over the natal Mercury can be a bit difficult; this not only turns the Mercury return into a 3-hit affair, but makes the retrograde nature take on a very personal dimension. This is a cycle of increased effect regardless of natal Mercury direction. My experience with this was confusing, and a bit frustrating. Mental stuff was significantly more difficult and communication was certainly hindered. But, there were some other serious transits at the time for me, they really didn't help.

You'll be glad to know the next Mercury RX is from 9Sco back to 23Lib, so your ascendant is not going to be hit... The focus of that cycle would be on your 12th house, so maybe you'll dig a bit into your unconscious self or have better access to the 12th house concept of the collective unconscious. You were however hit by the October-November 2006 cycle which was from 25Sco back to 9Sco. Note that this's years Mercury RX in Scorpio picks up right where last year's Scorpio retrograde left off, to within just a few arcmins even.

I'd have to check back on the JFK ordeal, I forget the date! But yes, interesting that the London attack failed on Mercury RX. From what I read, it wasnt that it was foiled, it was that the bomb didn't go off properly! Yikes, huh?! Mercury is a tricky little sucker, his quick-winged trickery and ability to fly away undetected is required to pull of that sort of operation. Mercury is one of the hardest visible planets to observe! From what I read, the cell phone-based detonator failed to work properly... Imagine that, cell phone troubles in a Mercury RX cycle... stupid extremists, I hope they find that sucker and chop off his manhood, if he's even got any. sickos!

Last edited:

johnmike59

<<From what I read, it wasnt that it was foiled, it was that the bomb didn't go off properly! Yikes, huh?! Mercury is a tricky little sucker, his quick-winged trickery and ability to fly away undetected is required to pull of that sort of operation. Mercury is one of the hardest visible planets to observe! From what I read, the cell phone-based detonator failed to work properly... Imagine that, cell phone troubles in a Mercury RX cycle... stupid extremists. >>

I had a feeling it had something to do with a cell phone. When the story broke, it was reported that the car crashed, so I thought, perhaps, it had something to do with the automobile. But, yes, fancy that -- cell phone goes ahoary during Mercury RX! By the way, the Presidential election of 2000, as I'm sure you know, came at the very last of Mercury RX -- Mr. Mercury is full of mischief. He turned the US on its ear before he went direct.

SO interesting about Mercury RX in the fall of 2006 -- with my Virgo Sun @ 8 degrees and Scorpio Ascendant at 24C, it was a ROUGH patch. It is very interesting that this next RX will pick up where the last left off -- is that 'pro forma' for Mercury RX or an anomaly? I am full of questions, so do forgive. But you know your stuff, so I hope you don't mind my myriad questions! :))

Thanks again for a very interesting, informative and very nice response! Cheers!

unukalhai

I had a feeling it had something to do with a cell phone. When the story broke, it was reported that the car crashed, so I thought, perhaps, it had something to do with the automobile. But, yes, fancy that -- cell phone goes ahoary during Mercury RX! By the way, the Presidential election of 2000, as I'm sure you know, came at the very last of Mercury RX -- Mr. Mercury is full of mischief. He turned the US on its ear before he went direct.

Go figure. Seems he cooked the election books while he was at it! grr.

The news coming out of the UK regarding the attacks has been contradictory at best; maybe soon enough we'll have a better idea of what really happened. Looks like a Jeep partially went off at a Scotland airport today, from what's being reported so far just fire and no boom. These fools apparently aren't very good at what they do, but I suppose that's a plus in this case. Ah, the rarity of it being good someone sucks at what they do *giggle*

It is very interesting that this next RX will pick up where the last left off -- is that 'pro forma' for Mercury RX or an anomaly? I am full of questions, so do forgive. But you know your stuff, so I hope you don't mind my myriad questions! :))

You know, I was wondering the same thing. I had looked into these two cycles quickly as I wrote the last post, but I'm honestly not sure how common that is. I shall have to investigate that, but the exactness of the connection seems unusual! I know some things, but make no mistake, I'm still learning and have plenty a ways to go.. But that's one thing I like about the cosmic art: always more to learn, more interesting things to understand, all of them related to our experiences :D

Cheers :)

unukalhai

unukalhai said:
I shall have to investigate that, but the exactness of the connection seems unusual!

Ok. Figured out a way to extract exact station degrees (thanks to Kepler and a little excel wizardry to extract and format the dataset) -- So, here's a list of the stationary points for 2000-2010. "D" indicates a station direct; Mercury was retrograde and turned direct at that degree, indicating the position where Mercury completed it's backtrack. "R" indicates a station retrograde; Mercury was direct, stationed and turned backwards to start it's backtrack. I sorted the dataset by sign, then by date, so the points of close proximity would be together in the list, and I've bolded the important stations. Interesting pattern! This decade, it seems to only happen in Libra through Aquarius, but not the other signs. The 2006 and 2007 Scorpio station points are some of the closest in the series; as I figured, it was at least somewhat unusual for the station degrees to be sooo close, but not completely unusual; some of the other stationary points are very close as well. 2009 features another really-near-exact continuation in Capricorn. Here's the raw data :) Feel free to point out any other interesting patterns in the data, folks.

30-Apr-2004 D 21Ari7
20-Mar-2005 R 14Ari6
12-Apr-2005 D 1Ari45

26-Apr-2003 R 20Tau33
20-May-2003 D 11Tau7
6-Apr-2004 R 1Tau55
31-May-2009 D 22Tau52

4-Jun-2001 R 29Gem58
28-Jun-2001 D 21Gem16
15-May-2002 R 9Gem59
8-Jun-2002 D 1Gem21
26-May-2008 R 21Gem32
19-Jun-2008 D 12Gem59
7-May-2009 R 1Gem45

23-Jun-2000 R 19Can58
17-Jul-2000 D 10Can23
29-Jul-2006 D 21Can4
15-Jun-2007 R 11Can36
10-Jul-2007 D 2Can28

2-Sep-2004 D 25Leo44
23-Jul-2005 R 20Leo28
16-Aug-2005 D 8Leo45
4-Jul-2006 R 1Leo22

6-Oct-2002 D 28Vir19
28-Aug-2003 R 26Vir19
20-Sep-2003 D 12Vir13
10-Aug-2004 R 8Vir46
29-Sep-2009 D 21Vir37

8-Nov-2000 D 29Lib57
1-Oct-2001 R 29Lib41
23-Oct-2001 D 14Lib12
14-Sep-2002 R 13Lib15
1-Nov-2007 D 23Lib22
24-Sep-2008 R 22Lib50
15-Oct-2008 D 7Lib34
7-Sep-2009 R 6Lib13

18-Oct-2000 R 15Sco48
4-Dec-2005 D 24Sco44
28-Oct-2006 R 25Sco5
18-Nov-2006 D 9Sco4
12-Oct-2007 R 9Sco5

6-Jan-2004 D 26Sag16
30-Nov-2004 R 26Sag45
20-Dec-2004 D 10Sag27
14-Nov-2005 R 10Sag56

8-Feb-2002 D 28Cap38
2-Jan-2003 R 28Cap28
23-Jan-2003 D 12Cap18
17-Dec-2003 R 12Cap34
1-Feb-2009 D 21Cap45
26-Dec-2009 R 21Cap47

25-Feb-2001 D 15Aqu24
18-Jan-2002 R 14Aqu29
8-Mar-2007 D 25Aqu24
28-Jan-2008 R 23Aqu53
19-Feb-2008 D 8Aqu19
11-Jan-2009 R 7Aqu45

21-Feb-2000 R 17Pis11
14-Mar-2000 D 2Pis47
4-Feb-2001 R 0Pis42
2-Mar-2006 R 26Pis55
25-Mar-2006 D 13Pis11
14-Feb-2007 R 10Pis14

sher

Hi everyone, I don't have pisces or cancer in my natal chart the only water sign I have is Scorpio acendent. I was wondering how mercury in those two signs effect me.

freedomlover

Well, for one thing, even though you don't have planets in water signs, you still have all 3 water signs in your chart. The house that has a water sign on the cusp would be the area to look for the corresponding mercury retrograde to affect.

madribub

Whoa! I just saw that this retrograde period went through my 7th house. I've been rethinking my parternship of 5 years almost the entire last three weeks. Spooky.

One other question. Does having Gemini or Virgo in any personal planets have any special meaning during retrogrades?