Predominance in cadent houses

Seems that the angular houses are the strongest, the most noticeable, and the cadent houses as the weakest.

I have no planets in those houses, i have a predominance in cadent houses, specially a stellium in the 9th house. I also have a strong 12th house with Saturn in Aquarius and Moon in 3rd house.
What does it mean exactly to have almost all of your planets in cadent houses??? (except for Jupiter and Venus in 8th house)

All the descriptions that i've read usually say those houses are "malefic", "weak", "least effective" and stuff like that. Sound quite disapointing for a person with 8 planets in cadent houses...

PD: I also read somewhere that the 9th and 3rd house are more effective. Is that that true?

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
Of the cadent houses, the Third and Ninth are the best due to their relationship with the ascendant and the fact that they serve as the Joy of the Moon and Sun.

I also have a predominance of cadent planets, but mine are all disposited by my Sun in his own domicile (though he is also in the 6th), so they are well taken care of. The idea is that they do not come out easily. Case in point, I have Sun, Moon, Mercury, and Mars in Leo. You would think I would be relatively outspoken, but it all falls within the 6th house so it's much more private and it only really comes out with small groups of people. So yes, my planets are all less effective than they would be otherwise.

dr. farr

Look at the placements RELATIVELY (relative to other planets placements) NOT as absolutes; also, if a planet is particularly difficult in a chart you would WANT it to be cadent, so that its - influences would be decreased in their expressions; remember, though that if most or all of the planets are cadent, then there will still be a level of expression among them, they will not be "negated" or "blocked out" by their cadent positions.
Historically, the 9th house was considered "almost succedent", the 3rd house was considered next in line (among the cadents), with the 6th and 12th considered "the most" cadent, and the 8th house was also considered much more defacto "cadent" than succedent. In Vedic astrology the 5th and 9th houses are considered very significant and potent (called trikkona houses); let me add that there is a very great deal of difference of opinion regarding this entire matter of houses and angularity (succedency and cadency), and-excepting the angles themselves-a great deal of the information/doctrines involved, are in fact quite theoretical...

Thanks for the replys
That clarify a lot of things, i have the sun in the 9th house, so i think this is positive, and also the moon in the 3rd house.

PD:I also want to say that there are 6 planets in my chart with cadent houses... Not 8, forgot about Neptune and Uranus xD.

byjove

Account Closed
Hi Richard,

I've a fair few of these too. People often say we're very flexible, adaptable and also changeable. I agree with each of these ideas.

Do you see this in yourself?

Flexible, we are more available and perhaps a touch easy going

Adaptable, we change change to new circumstances, like chameleons,

Changeable, we ourselves desire frequent change and pursue it. That can mean cutting attachments or ties to things to achieve that. Every third sign is the one that prepares for change, motion, new and with such an emphasis on this in our charts I tend to find we are exactly like that.

Does anyone else with a heavy cadence find the same or otherwise?

p.s. aspects and signs can add or subtract from this. Imagine you've Mercury in Taurus in the 9th, opposite Saturn. Cadent but a whole lot more than just that. There's a double fixed bent. Or consider Venus in the 3rd of Gemini sextile the Moon and Mars. Motion plus motion plus action. Some astrologers focus on 'singletons', only one planet in a house type, element, etc. and that one planet can SPEAK very loudly. Any of those circumstances can add more natural variety to your chart.

dr. farr

The Sun in the 9th house is in its House of Joy (according to the ancients) and therefore is dignified by that placement...

byjove

Account Closed
The Sun in the 9th house is in its House of Joy (according to the ancients) and therefore is dignified by that placement...

Hmm how does Joy compare to exaltation? If you seen one planet in Joy and another in exaltation, are they on that basis alone roughly equal? (ponders)

dr. farr

For the Hellenists (and earlier Islamic transitional era astrologers) exaltation referred to sign (and therefore = an essential dignity) and Joy referred to house (and therefore = an accidental dignity) So, exaltation would be "more intense" than Joy; however, say Sun in the 9th house in Libra: Sun would be in its Fall and therefore debilitated, however it would also be in its Joy, and this would mitigate the debilitation (to a considerable extent)...

Hi Richard,

I've a fair few of these too. People often say we're very flexible, adaptable and also changeable. I agree with each of these ideas.

Do you see this in yourself?

Flexible, we are more available and perhaps a touch easy going

Adaptable, we change change to new circumstances, like chameleons,

Changeable, we ourselves desire frequent change and pursue it. That can mean cutting attachments or ties to things to achieve that. Every third sign is the one that prepares for change, motion, new and with such an emphasis on this in our charts I tend to find we are exactly like that.

Does anyone else with a heavy cadence find the same or otherwise?

p.s. aspects and signs can add or subtract from this. Imagine you've Mercury in Taurus in the 9th, opposite Saturn. Cadent but a whole lot more than just that. There's a double fixed bent. Or consider Venus in the 3rd of Gemini sextile the Moon and Mars. Motion plus motion plus action. Some astrologers focus on 'singletons', only one planet in a house type, element, etc. and that one planet can SPEAK very loudly. Any of those circumstances can add more natural variety to your chart.

Sort of, im very standoffish, but i also want constant change, i never did well in structured enviroments, i have mood swings ( maybe this is because i have the moon opposite the Sun and Jupiter in Aries in my chart and also im Piscis ASC). Im always ready for my life to change.

Inconsistent i think is the best word to describe a person with a cadent house predominance, but im not sure, there are other factors too.

byjove

Account Closed
Ah yes, inconsistent. Well I wouldn't be too harsh on yourself, every third house doesn't represent the a bad roll of the dice.

I went hunting a little on this and found an article on the 3rd house and there are a few parts that discuss 3/6/9/12. The author delves into what cadence is all about. You may be interested:

http://www.astro.com/astrology/in_dgthirdhouse_e.htm

byjove

Account Closed
That was just an article I found along the way. There are plenty of people on here that will have a reference mind like a library that could do better than me on that! :wink: Not every paragraph in that link is essential but there are a few relevant ideas and I think the author has a good, broad perspective on cadence.

If you have specific interests or concerns, you could break it down to parts of your life e.g. what does this much cadence mean for work, love etc.

If you mean just overall, as a personality, I can relate.

I've:

3rd house - Moon
6th house - Saturn, Uranus
9th house - Mercury, Venus

The keywords I used earlier ring through my life with every passing year. Commitments can be tricky because my interests and desires change. Now how does one maintain commitments if one's inner thoughts etc. change? The risk of inconsistency as you mentioned could mean never fulfilling important plans. That definitely poses problems for work and love etc. After years of this, I realized I needed to bring some goals to fruition, and I have been.

I think others can look at us as a well-spring of ideas. We're EXTREMELY absorbent of ideas and experiences and that is a mark of intelligence, curiosity and could be a sign of wisdom later on, it seems to me. Cadence I don't think means ineffectual or that we are forced to run on everyone else's plans - oh no. Idea-people, therefore problem-solvers in our own right and creative too.

I'm not sure if you're looking to explore ideas on this one or do need some direction for personal research. I'll keep an eye out (and scratch my head for what I've read already) and post any good research on the way.

p.s. one more thing, you mentioned you've a stellium in the 9th? I read an astrologer (Russell Grant, You Can Change Your Life) say that a stellium in one sign or house, with or without the Sun can 'out-gun even the Sun sign'. A stellium in the 9th rings Sagittarius. You might find a long and insightful path of research into Sagg. What's your Sun sign? It doesn't mean you are a Sag but I would definitely consider it strongly in conjunction with all your plans.

Last edited:
The keywords I used earlier ring through my life with every passing year. Commitments can be tricky because my interests and desires change. Now how does one maintain commitments if one's inner thoughts etc. change? The risk of inconsistency as you mentioned could mean never fulfilling important plans. That definitely poses problems for work and love etc. After years of this, I realized I needed to bring some goals to fruition, and I have been.
And the risk of consistency is to focus too much in only one way to see your life, dullness, stubborness and lack of variety. Actualy i've never said that inconsistency is a bad adjective "per se"

I think others can look at us as a well-spring of ideas. We're EXTREMELY absorbent of ideas and experiences and that is a mark of intelligence, curiosity and could be a sign of wisdom later on, it seems to me. Cadence I don't think means ineffectual or that we are forced to run on everyone else's plans - oh no. Idea-people, therefore problem-solvers in our own right and creative too.
I think that's true, for me it is, the 9th house rings perfectly for me in every sense, im very good in the realm of ideas, i had problems with authorities and education, i traveled a lot by my own at a very young age, so when i saw what the 9th house mean, i was like OMFG!! that's me haha.
I change my prorities a lot, but i think i have a very stoic predisposition after all, i never suffered ostracism, and even in my most edgy and crazy periods , i always knew who i am and what im not.
But yeah, maybe im not practical and i have a very erratic behaviour too. (Asc Piscis)

I'm not sure if you're looking to explore ideas on this one or do need some direction for personal research. I'll keep an eye out (and scratch my head for what I've read already) and post any good research on the way.
That would be nice, thank you.
Actually i need some directions (not only regarding the houses) so any feedback that you could give me is good ;)

p.s. one more thing, you mentioned you've a stellium in the 9th? I read an astrologer (Russell Grant, You Can Change Your Life) say that a stellium in one sign or house, with or without the Sun can 'out-gun even the Sun sign'. A stellium in the 9th rings Sagittarius. You might find a long and insightful path of research into Sagg. What's your Sun sign? It doesn't mean you are a Sag but I would definitely consider it strongly in conjunction with all your plans.
Okay let's see...
9th house: Sun, Mercury, Mars and Pluto. ( The three last mentioned planets are in conjunction within 21 and 24 degrees)
12th house: Saturn ( square Pluto/Mercury/Mars)

I didn't mentioned earlier but i have MC Sagitarius and the stellium takes place in Scorpio. And also the nort node in Sagg ( i heard that's in fall there)

Last edited:

bScorp

I'm new to the forum and I failed to ask a proper question on my 2nd post. I'll post my chart with this reply. I read that the cadent houses seem to fall away from strength of the angular houses. Paulus Alexandrinus said planets found in houses (3,6,9,12) become inharmonious and can sometimes bring about hostile conditions, separations and banishments. I have: Asc. in Libra, MC in Cancer, Des. in Aries, and IC in Capricorn (angular points). I need help understanding the grand cross in my chart, along with the trines. The planetary positions are confusing me since they are so close to sharing different zodiac signs. Since I was about 3yrs old, I've always felt like a genius, but my only fear in life was being judged by others; therefore, I never spoke my true mind. I simply didn't understand. I guess that has to do with Saturn being in my 3rd house. I've always had serious anger problems due to a messed up family life. I was also adopted a few days after birth. I recently came to conclusion that I was born with an opened pineal gland, I just had no clue what the hell that was until this past winter. Help, please!!!

Attachments

• B-Natal1.jpg
    B-Natal1.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 74

wan

I would say natives with emphasis on cadent houses are flexible. They might not be bosses but they are good at communicating ideas and being the person that connects two people/things together.

IleneK

Premium Member
Those with a preponderance of cadet placements are blessed with the potential to recognize, to know, the wisdom of letting the world, of letting life come to them, if they will only look carefully. Which is what life does with everyone anyway.
With this knowing, there is so much less suffering from the folly of trying to “make things happen.” From the folly and suffering of thinking that one can make things happen.
Hurrah for the cadet houses😊.

Lolagranola

We
Those with a preponderance of cadet placements are blessed with the potential to recognize, to know, the wisdom of letting the world, of letting life come to them, if they will only look carefully. Which is what life does with everyone anyway.
With this knowing, there is so much less suffering from the folly of trying to “make things happen.” From the folly and suffering of thinking that one can make things happen.
Hurrah for the cadet houses😊.
Hope this happens sooner than later :oops: Natally I am 3rd, 9th, and 12th house dominant