Donald Trump will be impeached.

JUPITERASC

I don't need to fact-check you. All I have to do is ask my black, Muslim, Latino, and gay friends who they vote for. Or I can look at the makeup of the newly elected House members:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powe...2fdbf9d4fed_story.html?utm_term=.a47dfb09403e

Those of us who care about equality and acceptance and who value immigrants know which party to vote for, and it shows in the line-up.
KKKDems.jpg

Oddity

Inequality on its own isn't a big problem. Capitalism tends to lift everyone's fortunes.

The problems come with things like crony capitalism (the government giving welfare to large corporations), or with bad economic policies.

E.g., where I live lots of foreign millionaires buy up housing. Average income is about $30k per year here, and a 400-square foot apartment costs a million dollars. A starter house - $2.5 million, easy. If you choose to rent, you can get a place with 250 - 300 square feet for (only) $1500 per month.

That tends to create the kind of justifiable discontent that causes huge problems.

But just because income is unequal? No. You're an astrologer, you should know that some people are just wired to see money as more important. So they make more of it. Most folks just want a reasonably comfortable life, not billions.

Because you're full of ****. I don't have any other response to that, and telling you you're full of **** isn't very nice. Also, who is "we"? You're the only one saying these things about the Southern Strategy other than JA who clearly has zero clue about American politics.

Also, I read in the other thread that you don't think inequality is a problem. You're just fine with the haves and the have nots. So we really don't have any common political ground to discuss.

Witchyone

Its not that you won't fact check me, its that you can't. Evidence is pretty solid. That is why you are pushing to move the subject foward witchy. I'll respond to that post in a minute, about your "false diversity".

You can respond all you want. I won't be answering anymore.

Oddity

I approve. As a Jew of colour, you guys owe me gazillions by now :D

Dirius, Dirius, why on earth should people alive now, most of whom had NOTHING to do with this, and who aren't rich, give their money to people who mostly weren't alive at the time, either?

That's just NUTS.

You wanna talk racism? lets talk racism- Lets talk about how for almost 30 years after civil rights all the "racist" southerns were carried by democratic governors and legislators. Lets talk about how much money do you think the democrats owe in reparations to the black community for 188 years of death, rape and murder? As a progressive david let me ask you something:

Would you support a law that would force the democratic party to pay restitution to the descendants of slaves, and descendants of people that suffered segregation?

Dirius

You can respond all you want. I won't be answering anymore.

Its not that you won't. You can't answer more on that subject. Evidence is solid.

I've noticed over and over during this topic that, while you are polite, when you get proven wrong rather than discussing the implications in a civil manner (as we have for most of the topic), you sort of explode in anger. I don't know why. I still stand by what I said on the other topic, that you are sweet and well-mannered (until you get to a point and explode)
:sideways::joyful:

Witchyone

Its not that you won't. You can't answer more on that subject. Evidence is solid.

I've noticed over and over during this topic that, while you are polite, when you get proven wrong rather than discussing the implications in a civil manner (as we have for most of the topic), you sort of explode in anger. I don't know why. I still stand by what I said on the other topic, that you are sweet and well-mannered (until you get to a point and explode)
:sideways::joyful:

I'm angry because willful misrepresentation of the facts pisses me off. It should **** off anyone with a modicum of moral fiber. I have friends of color who are hurt by this new wave of intolerance. I have a friend whose Jewish kid is getting bullied at school by MAGA supporters' children in Colorado. They keep drawing swastikas on his stuff and telling him Jesus wants him dead. I have another friend whose half-Mexican kid is getting bullied by MAGA bullies in Kentucky. They follow him around screaming "build the wall" at him. Last year one of my friends got bullying messages warning her not to come to our class reunion because it's Trump country and they don't take kindly to her kind. It's personal for me.

Dirius

I approve. As a Jew of colour, you guys owe me gazillions by now :D

Dirius, Dirius, why on earth should people alive now, most of whom had NOTHING to do with this, and who aren't rich, give their money to people who mostly weren't alive at the time, either?

That's just NUTS.

Because the democratic party is always talking about opression, racism, slavery, etc. And... their speech is that, the black community are owed something. But if democrats are responsible for that oppresion, and they talk all the time about how the black community is owed something, isn't by their own logic that they have to pay them back? From their own money?

I mean... the democratic party is an institution... which has existed since the days of slavery. And, if corporations have corporate personhood, which grants them rights and responsabilities... isn't the democratic party pretty much the same as that? I'm not a lawyer, and I don't know how political institutions are treated in the U.S., but political parties do look like corporations to me, and that could be proven in a court of law, because they act pretty much like corporations.

To be clear, I'm not saying the innocent tax payer has to pay the money, but the institution of the Democrats, out of their own funds.

In any case, I'm more interested to see what our progressive friends would think of that.. given they are so in favour of justice for minorities.

Dirius

I'm angry because willful misrepresentation of the facts pisses me off. It should **** off anyone with a modicum of moral fiber. I have friends of color who are hurt by this new wave of intolerance. I have a friend whose Jewish kid is getting bullied at school by MAGA supporters' children in Colorado. They keep drawing swastikas on his stuff and telling him Jesus wants him dead. I have another friend whose half-Mexican kid is getting bullied by MAGA bullies in Kentucky. They follow him around screaming "build the wall" at him. Last year one of my friends got bullying messages warning her not to come to our class reunion because it's Trump country and they don't take kindly to her kind. It's personal for me.
I'm not the one using insults and agression, so its clear I'm not the intolerant one.

Also, I have not missrepresented anything, because I simply showed elections results for three different decades. If you think my interpretation of that is wrong, then please, by all means, tell me what you think and we can discuss it. But lets be honest here, each time you refuse to do it... it doesn't really help your case.

As for racism within the MAGA movement, that is one thing. I have no doubts there are racists that support Trump. That does not mean that every person wearing a MAGA hat is a racist, and the symbol of MAGA is clearly not aimed to be one. Trump is actually the republican president with the largest support among African Americans, in the last 60 years. There are huge number of people who belong to ethnic minorities, that support him.

But here is the fun part: you are saying, that because someone wears a HAT, he is a racist, just because a few people that wear that HAT are racist. Isn't that... I don't know... called bigotry?
:pinched::pinched::pinched::pinched:

Dirius

I would _consider_ a bill forcing the descendants of members of the Confederacy (office holders and military officers, not conscripted men) to pay reparations.

So you would protect the democrat legislators that passed and approve brutal laws on how to punish slaves? Or the northern democrat legislators that helped protect slavery? You do know that a huge part of northern democrats voted against emancipation right?

Or those that passed laws for segregation, that made it impossible for black people to get jobs during the reconstruction? Or what about the democrats that funded the Ku Klux Klan? Both with money and men. Those are to be protected and don't have to pay a dime? What about democrats who hold some goverment office while being members of the KKK; promoted lynching laws, voted against lynching laws? Those get a pass?

Last edited:

david starling

By the way the question I made for david is open to anyone:

do you guys support a law that would force the democratic party to pay reparations out of their own funds, to the victims of slavery?

First things first, if we're talking about reparations: Which political Party should make reparations to the Indigenous peoples of the lands now occupied by the U.S. and Canada?

Dirius

First things first, if we're talking about reparations: Which political Party should make reparations to the Indigenous peoples of the lands now occupied by the U.S. and Canada?

Andrew Jackson, a democrat, is the one responsible for the Indian Removal Act, and thus the policy of extermination of the native americans. Remember that the republican party was created by Lincoln in 1854.

Trail of democratic tears should be the proper name.

david starling

The answer to your slavery-reparation question is obvious--The Slave-States should pay them, whatever Party they elected then or are electing now. And the Electoral College should be abolished, for its role in perpetuating the election of Presidents favorable to slavery before the Secession began.

Dirius

The answer to your slavery-reparation question is obvious--The Slave-States should pay them, whatever Party they elected then or are electing now. And the Electoral College should be abolished, for its role in perpetuating the election of Presidents favorable to slavery before the Secession began.

No, because a lot of people that live in those states have nothing to do with slavery. How are the asian-americans, or the italian-americans, or polish-americans, or armenian-americans, or african-americans, or latino-americans, or scandinavian-americans, responsible for the bill? Why should cuban-americans, which are a prominent part of the community in the state of Florida pay for slavery? How on earth are cubans responsible for that?

You don't want to make the democrats pay for bill - You want the innocent tax payer, who may not even be related to slavery to pay for the bill. The democratic party has vast funds they have collected over centuries, in large, a part of those funds does come from the profits of slavery. So isn't the logical thing to make the democratic party pay?

david starling

Andrew Jackson, a democrat, is the one responsible for the Indian Removal Act, and thus the policy of extermination of the native americans. Remember that the republican party was created by Lincoln in 1854.

Trail of democratic tears should be the proper name.

Lincoln continued Jackson's policies, so both Parties are responsible.

david starling

No, because a lot of people that live in those states have nothing to do with slavery. How are the asian-americans, or the italian-americans, or polish-americans, or armenian-americans, or african-americans, or latino-americans, or scandinavian-americans, responsible for the bill? Why should cuban-americans, which are a prominent part of the community in the state of Florida pay for slavery? How on earth are cubans responsible for that?

You don't want to make the democrats pay for bill - You want the innocent tax payer, who may not even be related to slavery to pay for the bill. The democratic party has vast funds they have collected over centuries, in large, a part of those funds does come from the profits of slavery. So isn't the logical thing to make the democratic party pay?

The Electoral College system is responsible for the power of the Slave-States to influence the Presidential elections, including the perpetuation of the Jim Crow laws. It was the Kennedy/Johnson administrations that put them under Federal authority, when many Republicans were all about States' Rights superseding that. And, just as in the case of citizens of States who weren't involved at the time, how are all members of a Political Party today responsible for what it did in the past, since it's no longer the Party of slavery, and is now in favor of Civil Rights?
Btw, the entire Nation benefited economically from both the theft of Indigenous land, and Slavery, and an elected President represents the entire nation, regardless of Party affiliation. So if a feasible scheme for reparations could be arranged, the entire Nation should pay them.