Part of Fortune in Modern Astrology

StillOne

Does anyone use the Part of Fortune in delineating natal charts in Modern Astrology? I typically don't look at it... besides maybe for certain situations. However, the good dr. farr mentioned recently that it's one of his top things to consider while looking at a natal chart (if I recall correctly).

In my natal chart the Part of Fortune lies in the 5th house of Scorpio. I suppose I'm not surprised by this since activities of the 5th house are rather close to me. :love:

What do you think? :innocent:

waybread

I see it as something that generally goes well for the person. If it is really prominent (like conjunct the MC) I'd boost it a bit. But generally I think the hard close aspects show the person's major life issues, with trines showing what goes well.

StillOne

I see it as something that generally goes well for the person. If it is really prominent (like conjunct the MC) I'd boost it a bit. But generally I think the hard close aspects show the person's major life issues, with trines showing what goes well.

How about aspects from planets to the Part of Fortune?

waybread

I've not worked with this outside of the conjunction.

The P of F is a very ancient sensitive point in astrology, going back to the ancient Greek "lots." Vettius Valens (ca. 150 CE) had a whole system of turning a chart, where you set the P of F's house equal to the first house, and then read the native's prospects for fame or shame accordingly. Since timing wasn't too accurate back-then, he worked with whole sign houses for this method, rather than degrees.

But modernly? We generally go by degrees. The P of F is a degree point that is an arithmetic blend of one's ascendant degree, moon, and sun, with the calculation varying slightly for a day or night birth. As such, I would see it as a kind of super mid-point. But unless it happens to fall on an actual heavenly body, there's nothing there. It casts no orb.

The problem, too, is that there are dozens of these lots or Arabic parts out there. Why stop with just one? http://libracentre.com/arabic_parts_chart.php If we throw in sextiles to Pluto or a trine to Mars, pretty soon we can make the chart mean whatever we want.

Of course, I have a lot of respect for Dr. Farr's superior knowledge. This post is just my 2c.

dr. farr

I use conjunction of the POF, but also count any major aspect to it (opposition, square, trine-sometimes sextile if very close); also any parallel the POF might be in.

Remember that the POF (in a natal horoscope) means much more than just potential for $ or other "material" good fortune; it also represents the mental and physical well being of the individual, and the kind of way, or impression made, involving the person and the "outside world" (the Part of Spirit shows the way contact with "outside world" impresses or influences the INNER person, ie, the person "within himself")

StillOne

I use conjunction of the POF, but also count any major aspect to it (opposition, square, trine-sometimes sextile if very close); also any parallel the POF might be in.
Hey doctor, when you say parallel by declination does it also need to be conjunct by longitude as well (regular conjunction)?

Remember that the POF (in a natal horoscope) means much more than just potential for $ or other "material" good fortune; it also represents the mental and physical well being of the individual, and the kind of way, or impression made, involving the person and the "outside world" (the Part of Spirit shows the way contact with "outside world" impresses or influences the INNER person, ie, the person "within himself")
Thanks for the refresher!

ashriia

I use POF, I just keep an eye out for it being activated in a lunar return chart; where you have a lunar return house cusp or planet smack dab on the natal POF. Otherwise I don't use it too often.

dr. farr

The natal POF can also be used in predictive work: such as in simple symbolic progression; for example:

-Both Trump and Hillary had their natal POF's in Aquarius; in his 70th year (2016) at the time of the election, Trump's POF had progressed into Trumps natal 10th house (of advancement, governance, etc)

-Now, Hillary's POF (at her 69th year of 2016 at the time of the election) had ALSO progressed into HER natal 10th house; HOWEVER, in Hillary's progression, her natal SN had progressed (by 2016) into CONJUNCTION with her NATAL POF, so the + indications by progression of her POF were cancelled out by the - indication of SN prog to natal POF; Trump had no such progressed condition afflicting his natal POF, so his progressed POF into his 10th house acted purely benefically.

Frisiangal

The natal POF can also be used in predictive work: such as in simple symbolic progression..........in his 70th year (2016) at the time of the election, Trump's POF had progressed into Trumps natal 10th house (of advancement, governance, etc)

I looked up Trump's chart quickly via astro. com ADB to check but no POF was given on the natal chart.

By symbolic progression, do you mean the progression of the POF according to age in years ( at same rate as s.p. sun), or through the calculated position of the s.p. Moon - s.p. Sun - s.p Asc. formula for the year in question? The latter could give totally different positions through course of life as a result of the speed of progressed Moon through the chart.

Just curious. :smile:

Frisiangal

Re; my post #12.
I checked my own chart this evening. .
Natal POF on 2+* Taurus, sec. progr. POF is now on 16+* Sagittarius!! So I think the latter confirms a combination of a sec. progressed formula.

OTOH, the 'hypothetical' solar arc direction POF has moved forward the same number of degrees as sec. prog,. Sun and is now in Cancer.

I've probably answered my own question.:smile:

dr. farr

I looked up Trump's chart quickly via astro. com ADB to check but no POF was given on the natal chart.

By symbolic progression, do you mean the progression of the POF according to age in years ( at same rate as s.p. sun), or through the calculated position of the s.p. Moon - s.p. Sun - s.p Asc. formula for the year in question? The latter could give totally different positions through course of life as a result of the speed of progressed Moon through the chart.

Trump's POF by my calculation falls @25 Aquarius in his 7th whole sign house;
Diurnal formula used: ascendant degree + Moon - Sun

I am referring to the method called "symbolic directions" elaborated by Charles Carter, in which each planet (orother element) in the natal chart is advanced by 1 degree for each year of life; in 2016 Trump was 70 years of age, so I progressed the various natal positions in his chart by a total of 70 degrees from their radical (natal) positions.

blacksun?

My part of fortune is on the cusp between the 5th and 6th, and I am indeed drawn both to art and expression as well as to things like yoga and mental disciplines, but I have no real Virgonic traits, I think -

I would say that the tendencies I have are more fifth house related, but the real powers maybe more sixth house. Or, it's that my art and stuff drives me to an insane perfectionism. This is actually the case, so there you go.

blacksun?

Its telling that Trumps progressed moon crossed his MC right before the Elections. It's going to be in his 10th house during most of his first term and its entry into the eleventh would make a second possible.

Clintons PM had just crossed her Neptune, which would explain her almost mystical appeal on some people, that had its peak during the first debate.

sadge

Its telling that Trumps progressed moon crossed his MC right before the Elections. It's going to be in his 10th house during most of his first term and its entry into the eleventh would make a second possible.

Clintons PM had just crossed her Neptune, which would explain her almost mystical appeal on some people, that had its peak during the first debate.

I think he had an eclipse hit that point too back in Nov....but my memory is fuzzy. I kinda stopped paying attention to him to spare my sanity. But something to look into if it really lights your pants on fire.

aldebaran

Does anyone have a "therapeutical" example of how to use the Part of Fortune?

Once the meaning is broadly the point where we are in a healthy relation with this world, how should we behave to get closer with this point?

Phoenix Venus

Does anyone have a "therapeutical" example of how to use the Part of Fortune?

Once the meaning is broadly the point where we are in a healthy relation with this world, how should we behave to get closer with this point?

Yes, yes, yes. It is very significant and in fact integral to wellbeing. You look up the sabians symbol of said degree.

No time to explain it much further at the moment but please see my thread "historical figures and the part of fortune for some examples in application:

http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107659

AtlanticPacific

I use POF, I just keep an eye out for it being activated in a lunar return chart; where you have a lunar return house cusp or planet smack dab on the natal POF. Otherwise I don't use it too often.

Very interesting Ashriia - and I too use lunar returns. Would love to hear more about how you incorporate them into your practice of astrology. I started a chat on them recently if you have time to weigh in: http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108706
:happy: