Applying an Astrological Perspective

Arian Maverick

I recently received a gift certificate to Borders for volunteering in my community's summer music program, and unable to find any decent astrology books, I browsed through the young adult section and and purchased two titles: The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens by Sean Covey and Teens Ask Deepak: All the Right Questions by Deepak Chopra.

Although these two books are radically different and the latter was written from a far greater spiritual perspective, I was unexpectedly inspired by this excerpt from The 7 Habits:

The Comfort Zone and the Courage Zone

Putting your first things first takes courage and will often cause you to stretch outside your comfort zone. Take a peek at the Courage and Comfort Zone Diagram:

Comfort Zone:
Things I Enjoy Doing
Relaxation
Safety & Security
Ease
Surety
Freedom From Risk
Things I'm Accustomed To

Courage Zone:
Things I'm Afraid Of
Things I've Never Tried
Hard Moments
Ultimate Potential
Unexplored Territory
Risk
Things That Are Difficult
Opportunity
Bravery
Higher Duty
Adventure

Your comfort zone represents things you're familiar with, places you know, friends you're at ease with, activities you enjoy doing. Your comfort zone is risk free. It's easy. It doesn't require any stretching. Within these boundaries we feel safe and secure.

On the other hand, things like making new friends, speaking before a large audience, or sticking up for your values makes your hair stand on end. Welcome to the courage zone! Adventure, risk, and challenge included! Everything that makes us feel uncomfortable is found here. In this territory waits uncertainty, pressure, change, the posibility of failure. But's it's also the place to go for opportunity and the only place in which you'll ever reach your full potential. You'll never reach it by hanging out in your comfort zone. That's for sure.

What's that you asked? "What's so wrong about enjoying your comfort zone?"

Nothing. In fact, much of our time should be spent there. But there is something absolutely wrong with never venturing into unknown waters. You know as well as I do that people who seldom try new things or spread their wings live safe but boring lives! And who wants that? "You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take," said hockey great Wayne Gretzky. Why not show some faith in yourself, take a risk, and parachute into your courage zone from time to time? Remember, the risk of riskless living is the greatest risk of all.

I believe it is relatively safe to assume that this man does not have an extensive knowledge of astrology. Although I am no expert myself, Covey's simple description immediately made me think of the nodal axis--the comfort zone (the South Node) and the courage zone (the North Node). Try rereading this passage from an astrological perspective; how does the meaning change?

I would like to present the community with a challenge to apply an astrological perspective to articles or books you may encounter in your non-astrological studies. I am continuously fascinated by the seamless, unassuming way astrology is able to enter our lives, if we allow it to do so.

Arian Maverick