Random Thoughts, strictly Text

david starling

Have any more musical movie recommendations? I was thinking about looking for some movies along that theme just a couple of days ago.

Have you already seen "The Commitments"? It's a fun, R&B soundtrack.
A major one for me was "The Harder They Come" from 1972. I'd be surprised if you haven't seen it already. Heavy, though, very heavy. Music's great!

Last edited:

david starling

Of course, Elvis and the Beatles had movies built around their own albums. I saw "Yellow Submarine" in an auditorium at UCLA when it came out. Went over well during the psychedelic era in 1968--lots of humor, colorful animation.

conspiracy theorist

Ah yes, I actually have "The Harder They Come" on DVD. It was pretty cool movie. I like those suggestions, I'm gonna check them out. I was also thinking about more recently made films like "Whiplash" (which I really enjoyed) and "Hairspray" (never watched it, I have near to zero interest in musicals)

david starling

Ah yes, I actually have "The Harder They Come" on DVD. It was pretty cool movie. I like those suggestions, I'm gonna check them out. I was also thinking about more recently made films like "Whiplash" (which I really enjoyed) and "Hairspray" (never watched it, I have near to zero interest in musicals)

Same here, about musicals. Saw the John Waters version of "Hairspray", 1988 at a movie theatre--good date flick at the time, but not my cup of tea.

david starling

"The Harder They Come" broke it open for Reggae in the U.S. That's when I first learned about Ska, which really impressed me.
Clapton gets the credit for launching Reggae into the mainstream with his rendition of Bob Marley's "I Shot the Sheriff", even though it was a pretty weak version.[IMO]

david starling

And, there's one at the expense of.... While on a safari, a tourist is frightened by the sound of distant drumming. The guide says, ominously, "It's not the drumming you should be afraid of, it's what happens when the drumming stops!" Tourist : "Oh no, what happens then?:crying:" The guide answers: "Bass solo."

Last edited:

david starling

Just read about why some countries drive on the left, and others on the right. The Romans had to be ready to fight, and most were right-handed. Easier to mount the horse with the scabbard on the left, and fight on the right. So road rage is nothing new!
When traveling in carriages with more than one horse, it was more maneuverable for the driver to be seated on the left side to better control the horses, and stay on the right-hand side of the narrow roads.
The English stuck with Roman tradition. The French, under Napoleon, switched to driving on the right. Previously, it was the custom in France for commoners to walk on the right side, and the aristocracy rode on the left, like the Romans. But, after the Revolution, what remained of the aristocracy preferred not to be identified as such, and stuck to the right side of the road.
Those colonies that broke away from the British Empire, tended to switch to driving on right. Those who remained in the Commonwealth, mostly kept to the English tradition, driving on the left, Canada excluded.

Last edited:

david starling

It's a movie with a plot, not biographical. Showcases Prince as leading actor, but it's not his life story. A lot of humor, but not especially memorable for me. I seem to recall he was something of an underdog.

I admit I was very stoned when I saw Purple Rain. I had to look up the plot! Pretty rough in some places, like his abusive, talented-but-failed-musician father shooting himself. And the sort of phony, self-serving ending where "the Kid" (played by Prince) finally becomes everyone's darling. Good visually though. Features a very hot Apollonia as a singer. Her, I remember clearly. :biggrin:

Last edited:

david starling

Just a follow-up as to whether "Purple Rain" was biographical. I looked up his official bio, and Prince's real father wasn't a failure as a jazz musician, and didn't commit suicide.

conspiracy theorist

Kind of like how Jimmy Cliff and co took a lot of creative liberties in "The Harder They Come". I will say that a lot of the dancehall artists here live those kinds of lives. It gives their lyrics that extra kick of reality.

david starling

Here's a good one I saw at a theater in 1990: "Mo' Better Blues" by Spike Lee, who also has a major role. Denzel Washington and Wesley Snipes are the Jazz musicians.

Ukpoohbear

Sorry for the late reply

So your excuse, despite still being the largest contributor to pollution in the world, the solution is for other countries to apply moderation. That seems farfetched.

I'm fine with the rhetoric of "we are now enlightened", if it meant said nations would actually practice what they preach. But they don't, while enjoying the benefits of abusing the planet. Lets go with some numbers: the UK has 66 million inhabitants. Brazil has at least 200 million, almost 4 times that number. There are close to 38 million cars registered in the UK, against 5 million in Brazil.

Of course people in Brazil are out to make money. They want to enjoy the same comfortable lifestyle you get to experience in 1st world nations. And for that you need development. Small farmers want more land, they want to produce more, and earn more money. This does create more jobs, and more production does activate the economy in the main cities. Lets say, when you produce more good, you also require more distribution channels, which creates more jobs transporting, packaging, retailing, advertising, etc. For developing nations such as Brazil, the aggro industry activates every other sector of the economy.

Supply and demand are not rules of "capitalism", just of humans. People want stuff, and other people create it for them. Corporations have no power, the market does, which is composed of regular people. The computer or phone you are using to log into the forum is composed of multiple goods that exist because you demanded to have such devise, not because some evil corporation is forcing you to use computers.]

I’m not making any excuses for my country, I am also not responsible for my country’s actions so I can’t be held responsible. My own carbon footprint is practically zero because I hardly travel, haven’t been abroad in years, it’s usually short trips around the UK and I don’t eat meat.

Ideally, the UK would be even more responsible and we wouldn’t have Prince Harry waxing lyrical about environmentalism and then using private jets 4x’s in a month. If the UK made an environmental disaster like Brazil did, I think everyone would be in uproar like they are with Bolsonaro.

Are you saying that we shouldn’t care about the environment? And it’s not negligible to get rid of the Amazon? Or do you solely take the side of the Brazilins?

Why does me believing in the sanctity of the environment mean I don’t care abouthe Brazilians? Why do you have to not care about the environment because you want to see Brazil create more wealth?

You only eat meat at the weekends and this is for financial reasons, is there not a part of you that is glad you are also reducing meat consumption for environmental reasons and also saving cows lives at the same time?

Also, do you really think animals have less right to life than us? I watched a video about animal testing last night (I wasn’t sure if I should or not) and there is a clear separation between the monkeys anguish and the professionalism of the lab workers.

You can tell the lab workers have been trained to not respond to the monkeys in a humanitarian way because a man injected a needle into the upper side of a monkeys eye ball but even though the monkey was sedated, it still had the energy to quickly put up his arm in pain and by reflex the lab man stopped for a second and then seemed to remember his training and carried on. Compassion is natural although I can’t stop seeing that image now.

Maybe you have been trained to avoid compassion like the lab man but if you thought about it would you not feel the pain of the monkey too?

This does not mean I have an answer to solve testing medicine but I know it’s not right. I don’t have an answer to solve the poverty of Brazil but I know destroying the Amazon is not right.

I don’t have the answers and I admit that but I would like you to admit the opposite side to your argument.

Something has to give. We are exploding as a population and there has not been suggested a solution. Maybe Mother Nature will terminate us when we push it too far.

Maybe we need more people to die and we are due a natural disaster or a plague. Maybe the Saturn-Pluto conjunction will release a disease and solve the problem for us and we will feel sad naturally.

You can end world hunger with about 2% of our global production. Its not about numbers. Even in a vegan world, there would still be preference over certain products, as there is today among vegans.

The avocado fruit is the best example, a staple favourite for modern day vegans. Its a fruit which requires quite a lot of land, and takes time to produce. This is why, in Mexico, farmers are also destroying the ecosystem by tearing down forests in order to produce more.

But hey its cool, because Vegans do care about the environment right? :lol:

https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/avocado_consumption_environmental_and_social_considerations

OMG don’t get me started on avocados! I had an argument with a so-called spiritual lady. She frequents a horary group a lot and is clearly just there to sell her business. She even asks for help in the horary group in reading a chart she is getting paid to read!

I politely informed her about the danger of the avocado fad and instead of being happy to receive information she shut me down in a very egotistical way and I was confused until months later she told me it was because she had an avocado business.

She is a fake spiritual charlatan type but it was a bizarre argument to have with her with the word avocado repeated. It had comedy value even though there was a darkness to her selfishness.

I hardly eat any avocados.

Last edited:

Hkk

Account Closed
I’m not making any excuses for my country, I am also not responsible for my country’s actions so I can’t be held responsible. My own carbon footprint is practically zero because I hardly travel, haven’t been abroad in years, it’s usually short trips around the UK and I don’t eat meat.

Ideally, the UK would be even more responsible and we wouldn’t have Prince Harry waxing lyrical about environmentalism and then using private jets 4x’s in a month. If the UK made an environmental disaster like Brazil did, I think everyone would be in uproar like they are with Bolsonaro.

Are you saying that we shouldn’t care about the environment? And it’s not negligible to get rid of the Amazon? Or do you solely take the side of the Brazilins?

Why does me believing in the sanctity of the environment mean I don’t care abouthe Brazilians? Why do you have to not care about the environment because you want to see Brazil create more wealth?

You only eat meat at the weekends and this is for financial reasons, is there not a part of you that is glad you are also reducing meat consumption for environmental reasons and also saving cows lives at the same time?

Also, do you really think animals have less right to life than us? I watched a video about animal testing last night (I wasn’t sure if I should or not) and there is a clear separation between the monkeys anguish and the professionalism of the lab workers.

You can tell the lab workers have been trained to not respond to the monkeys in a humanitarian way because a man injected a needle into the upper side of a monkeys eye ball but even though the monkey was sedated, it still had the energy to quickly put up his arm in pain and by reflex the lab man stopped for a second and then seemed to remember his training and carried on. Compassion is natural although I can’t stop seeing that image now.

Maybe you have been trained to avoid compassion like the lab man but if you thought about it would you not feel the pain of the monkey too?

This does not mean I have an answer to solve testing medicine but I know it’s not right. I don’t have an answer to solve the poverty of Brazil but I know destroying the Amazon is not right.

I don’t have the answers and I admit that but I would like you to admit the opposite side to your argument.

Something has to give. We are exploding as a population and there has not been suggested a solution. Maybe Mother Nature will terminate us when we push it too far.

Maybe we need more people to die and we are due a natural disaster or a plague. Maybe the Saturn-Pluto conjunction will release a disease and solve the problem for us and we will feel sad naturally.

OMG don’t get me started on avocados! I had an argument with a so-called spiritual lady. She frequents a horary group a lot and is clearly just there to sell her business. She even asks for help in the horary group in reading a chart she is getting paid to read!

I politely informed her about the danger of the avocado fad and instead of being happy to receive information she shut me down in a very egotistical way and I was confused until months later she told me it was because she had an avocado business.

She is a fake spiritual charlatan type but it was a bizarre argument to have with her with the word avocado repeated. It had comedy value even though there was a darkness to her selfishness.

I hardly eat any avocados.

Even with salt they don’t taste so good