Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > General Astrology > Traditional Astrology

Traditional Astrology For discussions on Traditional Astrology only. (Note: Typically, traditional astrology is defined as using techniques developed prior to 1700 by astrologers from the Hellenistic, Persian, Hebrew, and Renaissance eras. Specifically it relies on Ptolemaic aspects (sextile, trine, square, opposition and conjunction) and excludes modern planets (Neptune, Uranus and Pluto,) non-Ptolemaic aspects, as well as any asteroids. The focus is less on what would be considered modern psychological chart interpretation and more on prediction. Members who wish to explore a combination of traditional and modern ideas should feel free to start a new thread in an appropriate forum for further discussion.)


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 06-14-2019, 01:16 PM
JUPITERASC's Avatar
JUPITERASC JUPITERASC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 49,041
Siriusly SIRIUS aka THE SCORCHER aka THE DOG STAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by petosiris View Post


Sirius has an effect like Jupiter and moderately Mars.
That is how it got related to the dog days

Quote:
Originally Posted by petosiris View Post


The ancient Egyptians looked at the heliacal rising of Sirius to predict the conditions of the year, but Ptolemy advises everyone to look at the syzygy most nearly preceding the seasonal turning for each season. In Ptolemy's mundane astrology, the heliacal risings and settings of the fixed stars play a minor role in the ''day by day'' conditions of the weather (see also Ptolemy's Phases of the fixed stars). Thus, the heliacal rising of Sirius for each location would bring a dog day, all cold factors of the syzygy aside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by petosiris View Post


''the Dog who brings fire upon the entire universe...''

''But when the lion of Nemea lifts into view his enormous gaping jaws, the brilliant constellation of the Dog appears: it barks forth flame, raves with its fire, and doubles the burning heat of the sun. When it puts its torch to the earth and discharges its rays, the earth foresees its conflagration and tastes its ultimate fate''

''When the Dogstar rises over the rim of the sea, which at its birth not even the flood of Ocean can quench, it will fashion unbridled spirits and impetuous hearts ; it will bestow on its sons billows of anger, and draw upon them the hatred and fear of the whole populace. Words run ahead of the speakers; the mind is too fast for the mouth. Their hearts start throbbing at the slightest cause, and when speech comes their tongues rave and bark, and constant gnashing imparts the sound of teeth to their utterance. Their failings are intensified by wine, for Bacchus gives them strength and fans their savage wrath to flame. No fear have they of woods or mountains, or monstrous lions, the tusks of the foaming boar, or the weapons which nature has given wild beasts : they vent their burning fury upon all legitimate prey.'' - Goold, G. P. (Ed.). (1977). The Loeb Classical Library.: Manilius, Astronomica. Harvard University Press.


Siriusly


__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82p-D...eature=related Hippocrates Let food be your medicine: let medicine be your food. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvz9uSK3zXo Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead Tom Stoppard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KchhSIVwMdY Every exit is an entrance to somewhere else. VETTIUS VALENS FREE http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/...s%20entire.pdf
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JUPITERASC For This Useful Post:
SunConjunctUranus (06-14-2019)
  #2  
Unread 06-19-2019, 02:05 PM
JUPITERASC's Avatar
JUPITERASC JUPITERASC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 49,041
Re: Siriusly SIRIUS aka THE SCORCHER aka THE DOG STAR

Dr. J Raps The Epic of Gilgamesh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS_hwIPTO-0
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82p-D...eature=related Hippocrates Let food be your medicine: let medicine be your food. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvz9uSK3zXo Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead Tom Stoppard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KchhSIVwMdY Every exit is an entrance to somewhere else. VETTIUS VALENS FREE http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/...s%20entire.pdf
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Unread 06-19-2019, 02:09 PM
petosiris's Avatar
petosiris petosiris is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 2,250
Re: Siriusly SIRIUS aka THE SCORCHER aka THE DOG STAR

I am confused what does the topic have to do with traditional astrology, and what development does it bring?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to petosiris For This Useful Post:
JUPITERASC (06-19-2019)
  #4  
Unread 06-19-2019, 02:24 PM
JUPITERASC's Avatar
JUPITERASC JUPITERASC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 49,041
Re: Siriusly SIRIUS aka THE SCORCHER aka THE DOG STAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by petosiris View Post

I am confused what does the topic have to do with traditional astrology,
and what development does it bring?
since ancient times
Fixed Stars are important
Sirius, a bright Fixed Star seems to confuse some
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82p-D...eature=related Hippocrates Let food be your medicine: let medicine be your food. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvz9uSK3zXo Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead Tom Stoppard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KchhSIVwMdY Every exit is an entrance to somewhere else. VETTIUS VALENS FREE http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/...s%20entire.pdf
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Unread 06-19-2019, 02:33 PM
JUPITERASC's Avatar
JUPITERASC JUPITERASC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 49,041
Re: Siriusly SIRIUS aka THE SCORCHER aka THE DOG STAR

Sirius

was known in Ancient Egypt

as Sopdet
or Sothis
recorded in the earliest astronomical records

The hieroglyph for Sothis features a star and a triangle




__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82p-D...eature=related Hippocrates Let food be your medicine: let medicine be your food. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvz9uSK3zXo Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead Tom Stoppard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KchhSIVwMdY Every exit is an entrance to somewhere else. VETTIUS VALENS FREE http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/...s%20entire.pdf
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Unread 06-19-2019, 02:51 PM
petosiris's Avatar
petosiris petosiris is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 2,250
Re: Siriusly SIRIUS aka THE SCORCHER aka THE DOG STAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUPITERASC View Post
Sirius

was known in Ancient Egypt

as Sopdet
or Sothis
recorded in the earliest astronomical records

The hieroglyph for Sothis features a star and a triangle




I am once again confused what does this information have to do with traditional astrology, and what development does it bring? You can meme this board too - https://www.astrologyweekly.com/foru...splay.php?f=59
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Unread 06-19-2019, 02:56 PM
JUPITERASC's Avatar
JUPITERASC JUPITERASC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 49,041
Re: Siriusly SIRIUS aka THE SCORCHER aka THE DOG STAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by petosiris View Post


I am once again confused what does this information have to do with traditional astrology, and
what development does it bring? You can meme this board too - https://www.astrologyweekly.com/foru...splay.php?f=59
Thanks for that useful information

Quote:
Originally Posted by petosiris View Post

Sirius has an effect like Jupiter and moderately Mars.
That is how it got related to the dog days
Quote:
Originally Posted by petosiris View Post

The ancient Egyptians looked at the heliacal rising of Sirius to predict the conditions of the year, but Ptolemy advises everyone to look at the syzygy most nearly preceding the seasonal turning for each season. In Ptolemy's mundane astrology, the heliacal risings and settings of the fixed stars play a minor role in the ''day by day'' conditions of the weather (see also Ptolemy's Phases of the fixed stars). Thus, the heliacal rising of Sirius for each location would bring a dog day, all cold factors of the syzygy aside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by petosiris View Post

''the Dog who brings fire upon the entire universe...''

''But when the lion of Nemea lifts into view his enormous gaping jaws, the brilliant constellation of the Dog appears: it barks forth flame, raves with its fire, and doubles the burning heat of the sun. When it puts its torch to the earth and discharges its rays, the earth foresees its conflagration and tastes its ultimate fate''

''When the Dogstar rises over the rim of the sea, which at its birth not even the flood of Ocean can quench, it will fashion unbridled spirits and impetuous hearts ; it will bestow on its sons billows of anger, and draw upon them the hatred and fear of the whole populace. Words run ahead of the speakers; the mind is too fast for the mouth. Their hearts start throbbing at the slightest cause, and when speech comes their tongues rave and bark, and constant gnashing imparts the sound of teeth to their utterance. Their failings are intensified by wine, for Bacchus gives them strength and fans their savage wrath to flame. No fear have they of woods or mountains, or monstrous lions, the tusks of the foaming boar, or the weapons which nature has given wild beasts : they vent their burning fury upon all legitimate prey.'' - Goold, G. P. (Ed.). (1977). The Loeb Classical Library.: Manilius, Astronomica. Harvard University Press.


Siriusly
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82p-D...eature=related Hippocrates Let food be your medicine: let medicine be your food. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvz9uSK3zXo Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead Tom Stoppard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KchhSIVwMdY Every exit is an entrance to somewhere else. VETTIUS VALENS FREE http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/...s%20entire.pdf
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Unread 06-19-2019, 06:04 PM
petosiris's Avatar
petosiris petosiris is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 2,250
Re: Siriusly SIRIUS aka THE SCORCHER aka THE DOG STAR

''The focus is... more on prediction.'' - from the description of the forum

Discussing the mythology and star lore behind some fixed star is interesting, but that can be the subject of other boards too. To make it more traditional, I would expect that you bring its application in genethlialogy, for example observing common effect for nativities when it is rising alongside the Ascendant.

Inb4 declination meme and repost of https://www.astrologyweekly.com/foru...5&postcount=12
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Unread 06-19-2019, 06:06 PM
petosiris's Avatar
petosiris petosiris is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 2,250
Re: Siriusly SIRIUS aka THE SCORCHER aka THE DOG STAR

Every post becomes much more serious when you put a
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Unread 06-19-2019, 06:08 PM
petosiris's Avatar
petosiris petosiris is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 2,250
Re: Siriusly SIRIUS aka THE SCORCHER aka THE DOG STAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUPITERASC View Post
Dr. J Raps The Epic of Gilgamesh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS_hwIPTO-0
Traditional astrology at its best
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Unread 06-19-2019, 09:17 PM
JUPITERASC's Avatar
JUPITERASC JUPITERASC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 49,041
Re: Siriusly SIRIUS aka THE SCORCHER aka THE DOG STAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUPITERASC View Post
Dr. J Raps The Epic of Gilgamesh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS_hwIPTO-0
Quote:
Originally Posted by petosiris View Post


Traditional astrology at its best
agreed
Intensive hands-on tuition in Mesopotamian Astrology
compared with Hellenistic and Medieval-Arab.
Rich visual material.
Practical approach.
Analysis of the charts of the students.
Original texts in Akkadian,
Greek and Latin.
Information directly from untranslated Greek and Latin texts and manuscripts.
The topic of the Primary Directrions - from ancient to modern times.
http://babylonianastrology.com/
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82p-D...eature=related Hippocrates Let food be your medicine: let medicine be your food. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvz9uSK3zXo Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead Tom Stoppard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KchhSIVwMdY Every exit is an entrance to somewhere else. VETTIUS VALENS FREE http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/...s%20entire.pdf
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
scorcher, sirius, siriusly, star

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 10:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005-2018, AstrologyWeekly.com. Boards' structure and all posts are property of AstrologyWeekly.com and their respective creators. No part of the messages sent on these boards may be copied without their owners' explicit consent.