Will I live up to or past my 80's?

fastlane69

Hello all,
I am an amateur astrologer who has been using natal astrology for about 25 years now. I don't have any experience with horary astrology, so if someone would like to comment on my horary chart, it would be most welcome. :smile: Living to an old age shows up in my natal chart, so tonight I asked this question. All data is included with the attachment. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Last edited:

Culpeper

Premium Member
Welcome to the forum. You are certainly starting with a serious question.

To begin with there are a number of issues with this chart. First the ascendant is in the final degree of the rising sign. Then the Moon is in its fall and the burning way. And there are other things. Lilly writes that we should discard this chart if doing it for a client, but because you are an astrologer and it is your chart, I will continue as your consultant. The relevant paragraph is on page 408 of Christian Astrology.

If the lord of the ascendant applies to the lord of the 8th house and this significator is dignified and one of the fortunes then the querent will live as long as the time he has propounded. This is the case here (Sun applies to Jupiter in Cancer), and it would indicate the natural life of the querent. This is the good news.

However, there is bad news. The square aspect indicates that this will not be an easy life. The Sun is conjunct Algorab, Jupiter conjunct Wasat and Algol is culminating. These are very violent fixed stars. The querent could be caught in a catastrophe short of the time predicted.

As an electional astrologer I recommend that you take that up yourself and cast favorable charts when you do things. This will help you live out the natural prediction in favorable circumstances.

Last edited:

waybread

According to Olivia Barclay, Horary Astrology Rediscovered, "It there is something you should not ask, the chart will show that it is invalid. Perhaps it would be wiser not to enquire." Charts can also be invalid if the querant's underlying concern is other than the question that has been asked,, or if the querant previously asked the question before through horary or another divinatory method. (p. 29.)

"If 27, 28, or 29 degrees ascend in any sign it is not safe to judge unless the querant's age corresponds to that number of degrees." Or "When the Moon is in the Via Combusta... from 15 degrees Libra to 15 degrees Scorpio. Discard these charts." (p. 124.)

(As Culpepper noted.)

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

According to Olivia Barclay, Horary Astrology Rediscovered, "It there is something you should not ask, the chart will show that it is invalid. Perhaps it would be wiser not to enquire." Charts can also be invalid if the querant's underlying concern is other than the question that has been asked,, or if the querant previously asked the question before through horary or another divinatory method. (p. 29.)

"If 27, 28, or 29 degrees ascend in any sign it is not safe to judge unless the querant's age corresponds to that number of degrees." Or "When the Moon is in the Via Combusta... from 15 degrees Libra to 15 degrees Scorpio. Discard these charts." (p. 124.)

(As Culpepper noted.)
Everything in an Horary Chart tells a story, including the Ascendant.

Angular Houses signify beginnings; Succeedent Houses on-going matters; and Cadent Houses the end of things :smile:

SIMIILARLY: when an Ascendant is:

0°00' to 9°59' it signifies something starting, developing, beginning.

10°00' to 19°59' it symbolizes something that is current, under way, in-progress, on-going, happening now.

20°00' to 29°59' it tells you that something is ending, drawing to a close, completing, finishing up, finalizing.

The Ascendant, like the Ascendant Ruler and the Moon,-also represents the Querent.

When an Ascendant is in the early degrees - using today's vocab - Bonatti is saying:
"Look, what is your true interest in this matter? Is it just morbid curiosity? Tell me before I devote the time and effort to delineate a matter for which you don't really care too much about."

When an Ascendant is in the later degrees
- using today's vocab - Bonatti is saying:
"Look, what is your true interest in this matter? You already know the answer. Why are you asking? Is it out of desperation? Are you testing me? Tell me, before I devote the time and effort to delineate a matter when you already know the answer."

A chart with an Ascendant of 28° IS valid. The chart is readable.

Early/Late Ascendants do not make a chart invalid.

Late Ascendants have always been read.

Early/Late Ascendants were never a consideration until William Lily made it so,
and even William Lily

made it only a consideration, AND NOT A PROHIBITION

JUPITERASC

If my natal chart is needed, I can post that as well....thanks! :smile:
Horary is a separate subforum from Natal :smile:

therefore, if you're interested to post your natal chart with this question for natal chart discussion
then an appropriate thread may well be THE HYLEG AND ALCOCODEN thread a
t http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46808&page=6
and there's another thread with a similar name at http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40677&page=4&highlight=hyleg

poyi

Premium Member
I also had a horary read by one of the members it was very late degrees of the sign. It was about will I ever have a happy family. At the time I had no relationship not even aware of the love interesting was coming though I had some significant transits and progression along with eclipse saying I would meet someone and will have relationship soon. I was only new so not confident with my own prediction.

The horary was a readable chart and he predicted whatever that I was asking about the situation would change rapidly; the situation of me asking that question in a matter a very short period the situation would never be the same again. In about 2 weeks I was from divorced single to be in a new relationship again. The horary was extremely accurate in a very late degrees sign ascendant.

poyi

Premium Member
The late degree ascendant in this particular question may simply representing the age of the person in his later stage of life. Ascendant can show timing as well as the characteristics of the person who asked this question.

From my own experiences, everything I asked about my health it showed Capricorn ascendant or link of Saturn in Scorpio related to the ascendant it described my physical health and the level of my concern. It is during the time about to have my exact Saturn return in Scorpio, natal Saturn rules over my 6th house by traditional rulership of Aquarius the chart simply described how I was like. The north node and Venus in Scorpio conjoined the Saturn The Lord of Capricorn saying my condition is at active stage.it also describes the organs and parts of my symptoms.

Last edited:

Culpeper

Premium Member
The considerations are not a prohibition. Lilly read such charts. They often contribute to the delineation. In this chart the late ascendant is consistent with the question about the end of life. The Moon is the querent's second significator. It is active and in the Burning Way. This area of the chart was used by the ancient astrologers for questions about fires. Thus I can say that the querent is in danger from fire, but only at a few times in life not constantly. The Moon does the timing in horary. Due to the long life of the chart, count one year for each degree that the Moon travels. The times of danger are conjunctions or harsh aspects with malefics.

poyi

Premium Member
The considerations are not a prohibition. Lilly read such charts. They often contribute to the delineation. In this chart the late ascendant is consistent with the question about the end of life. The Moon is the querent's second significator. It is active and in the Burning Way. This area of the chart was used by the ancient astrologers for questions about fires. Thus I can say that the querent is in danger from fire, but only at a few times in life not constantly. The Moon does the timing in horary. Due to the long life of the chart, count one year for each degree that the Moon travels. The times of danger are conjunctions or harsh aspects with malefics.

So do we consider the Moon conjunction Saturn in 10 orbs? Then the Venus in Scorpio at very late degree before Moon leaving the sign? Also at IC. Venus is the ruler of the Sun which links to Leo ascendant.

Last edited:

waybread

Here is Karen Hamaker-Zondag, Handbook of Horary Astrology, in her chapter 3: "When not to pass judgment, " pp.15-19.

"...when the Ascendant is in the last three degrees of a sign." Basically the issue or circumstances have been going on for a while, to the point where the outcome has already been set in motion. The one exception she and Barclay make, based on B. Watters, Horary Astrology and the Judgment of Events, is when the querant is the same age as the degree: i.e., 29 in this case.

KH-Z also lists the moon in the Via Combusta, and notes a lot of disagreement amongst astrologers about its meaning today. She gives an alternative reading by Watters that agrees with your delineation, Culpepper. However, she concludes that the majority of astrologers don't use it and anyone inclined to do so "should be very circumspect" (cough, ahem) in its use. In her own practice sometimes she found the Watters effect, but sometimes not; hence the need for extreme circumspection.

She notes some astrologers who give other ideas about when a dubious horary chart can be read, but there is no agreement.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

Here is Karen Hamaker-Zondag, Handbook of Horary Astrology, in her chapter 3: "When not to pass judgment, " pp.15-19.

"...when the Ascendant is in the last three degrees of a sign." Basically the issue or circumstances have been going on for a while, to the point where the outcome has already been set in motion. The one exception she and Barclay make, based on B. Watters, Horary Astrology and the Judgment of Events, is when the querant is the same age as the degree: i.e., 29 in this case.

KH-Z also lists the moon in the Via Combusta, and notes a lot of disagreement amongst astrologers about its meaning today. She gives an alternative reading by Watters that agrees with your delineation, Culpepper. However, she concludes that the majority of astrologers don't use it and anyone inclined to do so "should be very circumspect in its use. In her own practice sometimes she found the Watters effect, but sometimes not; hence the need for extreme circumspection.
Late Ascendants have always been read.

Early/Late Ascendants were never a consideration until William Lily made it so,
and even William Lily

made it only a consideration, AND NOT A PROHIBITION
:smile:
The considerations are not a prohibition.

Lilly read such charts. They often contribute to the delineation.

In this chart the late ascendant is consistent with the question about the end of life. The Moon is the querent's second significator. It is active and in the Burning Way. This area of the chart was used by the ancient astrologers for questions about fires. Thus I can say that the querent is in danger from fire, but only at a few times in life not constantly. The Moon does the timing in horary. Due to the long life of the chart, count one year for each degree that the Moon travels. The times of danger are conjunctions or harsh aspects with malefics.

waybread

JA, thanks for sharing your opinion, but it is not part of these two handbooks. No doubt you are familiar with them.

poyi

Premium Member
My personal understanding, mind only operate based on physical evidence and actual practices; some may remember my 3rd Mercury in Scorpio sextile by Mars in Virgo and Moon in Capricorn by both Earth signs, Mars trine Moon, Moon exalted Mars, Mars mutual reception Mercury.

I can't help to be myself that I like to see actual demonstrations, research evidences by actual practice. I ignored theories all my life. I am not keen on theories but I do like to test them in real practices. One can only improves skills by actually practicing it. For the moment, I had seen few real life examples applied to my own practical life so I stick to it and believe that late degree ascendant in Horary can be read.

waybread

Poyi, I think Barclay and Hamaker-Zondag would agree with the desirability for practical experience. Both were/are noted for active professional practices.

JUPITERASC

JA, thanks for sharing your opinion,
That's OK :smile:
...but it is not part of these two handbooks. No doubt you are familiar with them.
Perhaps you are familiar with William Lilly and Bonatti

When an Ascendant is in the early degrees - using today's vocab - Bonatti is saying:
"Look, what is your true interest in this matter? Is it just morbid curiosity? Tell me before I devote the time and effort to delineate a matter for which you don't really care too much about."

When an Ascendant is in the later degrees
- using today's vocab - Bonatti is saying:
"Look, what is your true interest in this matter? You already know the answer. Why are you asking? Is it out of desperation? Are you testing me? Tell me, before I devote the time and effort to delineate a matter when you already know the answer."

A chart with an Ascendant of 28° IS valid. The chart is readable.

Early/Late Ascendants do not make a chart invalid.

tsmall

Premium Member

Right, and this actually has it's origins with Lilly.

KH-Z also lists the moon in the Via Combusta, and notes a lot of disagreement amongst astrologers about its meaning today. She gives an alternative reading by Watters that agrees with your delineation, Culpepper. However, she concludes that the majority of astrologers don't use it and anyone inclined to do so "should be very circumspect" (cough, ahem) in its use. In her own practice sometimes she found the Watters effect, but sometimes not; hence the need for extreme circumspection.

Yes well, not just the Moon Via Combust. ASC there carries meaning, as well as other planets. If I remeber correctly (Culpepper would know better) the only planet that does ok Via Combust is Saturn. As to the majority not using it, and anyone else being inclined to...again, it speaks to what I say below.

She notes some astrologers who give other ideas about when a dubious horary chart can be read, but there is no agreement.

Isn't there always?

Hi waybread. You probably don't read the horary boards often (though I may be mistaken) and so likely don't know that this issue re the considerations before judgement has been litigated ad nauseam lately. Many threads have been hijacked to discuss it, with one member in particular continually coming down on charts that do not meet a specific set of requirements.

Since it appears we are revisiting the idea...can we agree that most of the modern astrologers who read horary charts and use the considerations are relying on earlier horarists, such as Lilly and Bonatti, to come to their conclusions? I believe we can, since each and every one of what has morphed over time into a "stricture against judgement" has it's origins in Bonatti's 146 Considerations, first translated into English by Coley and more recently by Dykes. And to be precise, the considerations before judgement are just that...warnings of things or placements in a chart that may lead the astrologer to err, as well as reasons why.

Over the years astrologers who do not know better have begun to lean on them as some sort of reason to not read a chart. Sometimes because they don't understand that they do not actually render a chart unreadable, sometimes because they are looking for an excuse to not read the chart--either because at the end of the day they do not have the skills, or because they don't want to.

According to Bonatti, the only chart that should not be read, because the chart is invalid, is one in which the hour ruler and ASC ruler are not in agreement, meaning the Universe isn't looking at the question. Sort of the equivalent of the Magic 8 Ball saying "ask again later." Like, when you have a serious question.

According to ethics, the only other type of chart that should not be read is a chart of a third party question that the querent has not been explicitly granted permission by the third party to ask. Questions such as "is my ex doing such and such," or curiosity questions like "will my friend get pregnant this year?" or "does the guy I like have a girlfriend?" though that last may be mitigated if there is an existing relationship between me and the guy I like and I want to make sure he isn't cheating....basically questions that are an abuse of horary to the extent that it allows us to spy on people.

Last edited:

poyi

Premium Member
According to Bonatti, the only chart that should not be read, because the chart is invalid, is one in which the hour ruler and ASC ruler are not in agreement, meaning the Universe isn't looking at the question. Sort of the equivalent of the Magic 8 Ball saying "ask again later." Like, when you have a serious question.

Hi tsmall

Good information here.

I have got Lilly's, Frawley's and few more good authors' books on Horary . But never really learn and read deep enough to be familiar with.

Not sure if you are referring to planetary hours on above quote.

Anyhow, from Lilly's or Frawley's book did they have a section that discuss about what you mentioned above? planetary hours? Or other source that you may suggest me to read through it?

tsmall

Premium Member
Hi tsmall

Good information here.

I have got Lilly's, Frawley's and few more good authors' books on Horary . But never really learn and read deep enough to be familiar with,

Not sure if you are referring to planetary hours on above quote.

Yes, planetary hours, and yes, it is sooo much easier if you have software that will calculate them. Otherwise...I think I had a link a while back on how to do them by hand, but if I remember that link is broken...

Morinus, the free software most used by traditional astrologers, does the calculations for you.

Anyhow, from Lilly's or Frawley's book did they have a section that discuss about what you mentioned above? planetary hours? Or other source that you may suggest me to read through it?

Best, most encapsulated explanation I can find online (rather than reading Bonatti and Lilly, et al) about hour ruler agreement

http://skyscript.co.uk/hour_agreement.pdf

waybread

Thanks, tsmall for your usual informed and cogent reply.

Thanks also for reinforcing a couple of my thoughts: that where highly respected, experienced professional astrologers, both past and present, disagree; amateurs should proceed with caution.

The basis upon which one could even judge which an authority is correct and which one incorrect seems subjective.

I don't know who else has the Barclay and Hamaker-Zondag books, but for the record:

Barclay was one of the early proponents and resuscitators of Lilly. Among traditional sources she also sites Al Biruni, Bonatti, Coley, Culpepper (his namesake,) Firmicus Maternus, Gadbury, Cellectio Genitorarum, Hermes Trismegistos (!), Kepler, Manilius, Morin, Ptolemy, Wharton and an anonymous Persian source. Obviously not all of these sources addressed horary astrology, however.

Hamaker-Zondag cites Dariott, Gadbury, Lilly, Placidus, plus several Dutch and German sources of uncertain vintage as well as 20th century sources. Interestingly the two women are pretty consistent in this matter.

The point re: the OP is obvious.