Spam thread

Blaze

Account Closed
220px-Spam_can.png

Spam (stylized SPAM) is a brand of canned precooked meat made by Hormel Foods Corporation. It was first introduced in 1937 and gained popularity worldwide after its use during World War II.[1] By 2003, Spam was sold in 41 countries on six continents and trademarked in over 100 countries (except in Middle East and North Africa).[2] In 2007, the seven billionth can of Spam was sold.[3]

According to its label, Spam's basic ingredients are pork shoulder meat, with ham meat added, salt, water, modified potato starch as a binder, sugar, and sodium nitrite as a preservative. Natural gelatin forms during cooking in its tins on the production line.Many have raised concerns over Spam's nutritional attributes, in large part due to its high content of fat, sodium, and preservatives.

By the early 1970s the name "Spam" was often misused to describe any canned meat product containing pork, such as pork luncheon meat. With expansion in communications technology, it became the subject of urban legends about mystery meat and other appearances in pop culture. Most notable was a Monty Python sketch portraying Spam as tasting horrible, ubiquitous and inescapable, characteristics which led to its name being borrowed for unsolicited electronic messages, especially spam email.

pam was introduced by Hormel in 1937. Ken Daigneau, brother of a company executive, won a $100 prize that year in a competition to name the new item.[3] Hormel claims that the meaning of the name "is known by only a small circle of former Hormel Foods executives", but popular beliefs are that the name is an abbreviation of "spiced ham", "spare meat", or "shoulders of pork and ham".[7] Another popular explanation is that Spam is an acronym standing for "Specially Processed American Meat" or "Specially Processed Army Meat".[8]

The difficulty of delivering fresh meat to the front during World War II saw Spam become a ubiquitous part of the U.S. soldier's diet. It became variously referred to as "ham that didn't pass its physical", "meatloaf without basic training",[1] and "Special Army Meat". Over 150 million pounds of Spam were purchased by the military before the war's end.[9]

During World War II and the occupations which followed, Spam was introduced into Guam, Hawaii, Okinawa, the Philippines, and other islands in the Pacific. Immediately absorbed into native diets, it has become a unique part of the history and effects of U.S. influence in the Pacific.[10]

As a consequence of World War II rationing and the Lend-Lease Act, Spam also gained prominence in the United Kingdom. British prime minister during the 1980s Margaret Thatcher later referred to it as a "wartime delicacy". In addition to increasing production for the U.K., Hormel expanded Spam output as part of Allied aid to the similarly beleaguered Soviet Union. Nikita Khrushchev declared: "Without Spam we wouldn't have been able to feed our army". Throughout the war, countries ravaged by the conflict and faced with strict food rations came to appreciate Spam.

conspiracy theorist

I hope I haven't offended any kitchen aficionados i.e women out there. Pam is the name of the spray; NOT SPAM :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

pam-butter-cooking-spray-5-oz_324789.jpg

It has a pretty name. I think it's befitting for its purpose, don't you?

CapAquaPis

The vid I watched on May 23rd originated over half a century ago (circa 1970) from England (and Wales), Great Britain, UK (and Northern Ireland), Europe (ex-EU).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrZyZn5nVks

Today is a 8-9' Gemini, a very powerful solar degree for me along with 17-18' Libra (the bottom of my natal chart, 17' Cancer rising) and my own sun in 26-27' Aquarius conjunct moon in 20'.

david starling

Leomoon had a post about Geordie Hormel, 3rd generation heir to the Spam fortune. AMAZINGLY eccentric. I'm surprised I hadn't heard of him!

His birth time is unknown, but his chart's available. Moon could be in :cancer: instead of :leo:.

His bio looks fictional, but it's not.

Osamenor

Staff member
Leomoon had a post about Geordie Hormel, 3rd generation heir to the Spam fortune. AMAZINGLY eccentric. I'm surprised I hadn't heard of him!

His birth time is unknown, but his chart's available. Moon could be in :cancer: instead of :leo:.

His bio looks fictional, but it's not.

I irreparably ruined that post by mistake. :pinched:

I tried to quote part of it and say something to it. But on my screen, every post has an edit button next to the quote button (moderator tool). I hit the edit button instead of the quote button, and didn't realize it until the edit had gone through. Since there's no way to restore the post from there, I deleted it, so at least leomoon wouldn't be stuck looking like an idiot.

Leomoon is welcome to repost it. I've told her so in pm, too.

david starling

I irreparably ruined that post by mistake. :pinched:

I tried to quote part of it and say something to it. But on my screen, every post has an edit button next to the quote button (moderator tool). I hit the edit button instead of the quote button, and didn't realize it until the edit had gone through. Since there's no way to restore the post from there, I deleted it, so at least leomoon wouldn't be stuck looking like an idiot.

Leomoon is welcome to repost it. I've told her so in pm, too.

Another strange thing: Looks like I got the wrong chart, so scratch the Moon sign part. And, now I can't find the chart I looked at!

leomoon

David:
Leomoon had a post about Geordie Hormel, 3 generation heir to the Spam fortune. AMAZINGLY eccentric. I'm surprised I hadn't heard of him! His birth time is unknown, but his chart's available. Moon could be in :cancer: instead of :leo:. His bio looks fictional, but it's not.
Actually, he lived in Phoenix for some years (I think since the late 1980s or early 90s...buying up a few mansions as one heir to the Spam fortune. The biggest one being the Wrigley Mansion (Chewing gum king) on the "Hill" you can see from the Freeway.

Every Sunday he'd play the big Steinway Piano in it's vestibule when people would visit the mansion....
He became a bit of a known eccentric around here in many ways, not the least being the promoter of the 1997 UFO (largest one seen in U.S. History) we call the Phoenix Lights. He helped those who wanted to promote it via a documentary get the money they needed to do so. Personally, I think they took advantage of him(i.e. ripped him off), but it's his money to do as he wished. We also saw the craft, so its REAL, no question about that, its the people I question who ripped him off. But that's old history now, as is the late Geordie.
He wasn't one to complain.

Here is a short bio someone wrote up with photos:

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/32172690/george-hormel

George “Geordie” Hormel II of Paradise Valley, heir to the meat-packing Hormel Foods Corp. and owner of the historic Wrigley Mansion in Phoenix, died Sunday morning.
The 77-year-old was remembered as a “kind, wonderful, generous individual” by Celeste Nichols, general manager of the Wrigley Mansion.
“He just touched everyone that he met. He touched everyone’s soul,” said Nichols, who knew Hormel for 11 years. “His sense of humor was something that most people will remember about Geordie Hormel.”
Hormel’s grandfather, after whom he was named, founded Hormel in 1891. His father, Jay Hormel, brought new products such as Dinty Moore Beef Stew, Hormel Chili and Spam to food shelves in the 1930s.
Geordie Hormel, who had long, gray hair, was an accomplished artist and musician who could be found every Sunday brunch playing the Steinway piano at Wrigley Mansion. He bought the mansion, now used as a restaurant and banquet facility, near the Arizona Biltmore Resort and Spa in 1992
George "Geordie" Hormel (July 17, 1928 – February 12, 2006) was an American musician and recording studio proprietor.

Note: He married 4 times, the 1st was to the Actress Leslie Caron (he was born in 1928 - ) was in the Coast Guard (but navigated to music there) - and his last marriage to Jamie, who was born in 1992 the age of some of his grandchildren.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geordie_Hormel

Hormel composed music for numerous television shows including The Fugitive, Lassie, Naked City and The Adventures of Rin Tin Tin. He also sang as part of "The Utility Muffin Research Kitchen Chorus" on Frank Zappa's triple album Joe's Garage (1979). In 1968 he founded a major independent recording studio, The Village Recording Studio, in Los Angeles, of which he was proprietor until his death.

Last edited:

leomoon

Here is a longer Bio of Gordon Hormel 3rd -

Its 7 pages long but has more info...if interested:

His personality seemed to be one of a bit of naiveté but loving life and people in general. At least that is how he seemed to come off. It made him well loved.

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/new...-it-up-in-phoenix-society-6426018?storyPage=4

Some of the content is off the wall like this:

He bought an oversize log cabin in Pacific Palisades, just north of Santa Monica. Dennis Wilson of the Beach Boys had lived there before Geordie, and for a time, Wilson had allowed Charles Manson and his followers to live in a tree house on the grounds. After Manson was imprisoned, Geordie received a "strange and personal" letter from Manson asking if the tree house was still there and if peacocks still lived in the yard. Because Geordie had been friends with Jay Sebring, one of Manson's victims, it sent a double chill up his back, and although he tried several times to write a response, he never sent one.

He has been married four times, though 20 years passed between his third and fourth marriages. "I put myself at considerable risk in marrying this time," he confides, "because after my last divorce, I asked several people to kill me if I ever married again."

david starling

Here is a longer Bio of Gordon Hormel 3rd -

Its 7 pages long but has more info...if interested:

His personality seemed to be one of a bit of naiveté but loving life and people in general. At least that is how he seemed to come off. It made him well loved.

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/new...-it-up-in-phoenix-society-6426018?storyPage=4

Some of the content is off the wall like this:

He has been married four times, though 20 years passed between his third and fourth marriages. "I put myself at considerable risk in marrying this time," he confides, "because after my last divorce, I asked several people to kill me if I ever married again."

I couldn't find a chart for him on line. Even without a birth time it should be interesting.