Planetary Strength

waybread

GR, I hope we're not hijacking your thread. I think a lot of the information is pertinent to your situation, as you work your way through the chart and strive for better self-understanding. Are you a fatalist about it, or do you believe you have some ability to use your chart as a tool for self-improvement? Is modern psychology relevant to your quest, or do you find some traditional philosophers to be better fits with your situation and choice of the western traditional pathway?

Do you think astrology and science are opposed to one another, or are they simply moving in parallel intellectual universes?

With best wishes for your astro-journey, W.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

...Robert Hand, Planets in Transit.

Robert Hand sold the rights of PLANETS IN TRANSIT to astro.com :smile:
so they reprint this book as their base for transits
HOWEVER
Robert Hand is on record as saying
much of the text has been changed
and not by him
also that he wrote it a long time ago
and
to him it is unrecognisable from his original work

Rhys

GR, I hope we're not hijacking your thread..
Yes! Let's get back to GR's question.

Regarding the question of certain parts of our charts being activated by "time lords", one very simple method of finding out which planet is activated in one's chart at any given time is a method called "annual profections".

The basic idea with time-lord techniques is that not all placements in one's natal chart are activated at all times, instead, some placements lie dormant until they become awakened by, well, time-lords! And the most widespread time-lord technique in the Hellenistic tradition is today known as annual profections.

It's really easy to do, and it's fun!

I'll do a how-to post on it over the weekend.

Best - Rhys

JUPITERASC

To profect a natal chart
count around the chart
until the house of the year required
and then
make that the first house of the profected chart

Planets in the new angles of the profected chart
are strong and effective for the profected year
The planets found in cadant houses will be ineffective.
If the sect has changed take that into account as well.

Paulus gave one of the clearer expositions of the basic technique :smile:
As many years as the nativity should spin out,
we pass these through from the hour-marking zōidion [sign],
giving the first year of engendered time to the Hōroskopos [ascending sign]
and the second to the post-ascension of the Hōroskopos [2nd place],
and so on for the rest in the following zōidia [signs],
until the 12th number should be completed.

Basic Technique: Annual Profections of the Ascendant
http://www.sevenstarsastrology.com/?p=362

Paulus quote illustrates basic profections,
of Ascendant from one sign to next for each year of life.
Paulus gives examples, of how the Profection ruler becomes “lord of the year”.
The technique is easy - requires no computer software,
there are no specific degrees invlved,
rather just discrete hops from one place in the chart
to the next
at intervals of time.

The technique is “circumambulation”
meaning a “walking around” the chart. Seven Stars Astrology

Last edited:

Rhys

I was also fortunate that among the first astrology books I acquired were Robert Hand's cookbooks: Planets in Transit.

Hey Waybread, last thing on this (promise). I just remembered that my uncle wrote the forward to Planets in Transit! My uncle was Charles Jayne, he was the astrologer who famously predicted in 1958 the discovery of the planetoid chiron and at which longitudinal degree it would be discovered. I have no idea how he did this, but when chiron was finally discovered in 1977, he had gotten it right! (Within three degrees, but still...)

He was a wonderful theoretical astrologer and did pioneering work in the field of parallels and contra-parallels, as well as the vertex. It was due to Uncle Charles and his wife Vivian that I grew up around astrology, although I didn't get serious about it until I was in my mid-forties.

Anyway, I have some amusing stories about Charles and Vivian, but I'll save them for a more appropriate context. Talking about Planets in Transit made me think of it.

waybread

The Charles Jayne? I'm impressed.

BTW, while we're in a mopping-up mode, re: your post 37, I probably spoke about "voodoo" science at one point in my life, but I wouldn't do it any more, after learning that Vodou, (Vodoun) is a real religion practiced in parts of Africa and Haiti today. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haitian_Vodou

And a bit harsh, coming from a guy who's into magic?

Anyway, Rhys, I enjoy our conversations.

Rhys

The Charles Jayne? I'm impressed.

BTW, while we're in a mopping-up mode, re: your post 37, I probably spoke about "voodoo" science at one point in my life, but I wouldn't do it any more, after learning that Vodou, (Vodoun) is a real religion practiced in parts of Africa and Haiti today. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haitian_Vodou

And a bit harsh, coming from a guy who's into magic?

Anyway, Rhys, I enjoy our conversations.

I didn't say that psychology was voodoo, it was a psychiatrist friend of mine who said that. I was merely in reporting mode (don't kill the messenger!) :)

And what do you think that my friend would say if I told her all the stuff I'm into? Let's put it this way, I don't talk about astrology (or magic, or kabbalah) or try to defend it with this person, we just talk about other subjects of common interest.

My beliefs do not require that others except them.

So if I see a person is close minded about astrology, psychology or whatever, I just let sleeping dogs lie and pursue other areas of interest that are mutually profitable.

In short, having been a Jeff Green follower for ten years and practicing evolutionary astrology during that period, I can hardly hold anti-psychological views!

Even if it is true that psychology is a sub-set of philosophy! ;-)

<kidding...>

Warm regards

Rhys

waybread

Rhys, I was a closet astrologer for so long that by now it seems like the right way to operate. About the time I might have stuck my neck out, I became concerned about being cyber-stalked, which has happened to me twice. So I just continue a kind of double life, except with my family, who tolerate me. Actually, a few of my friends know, but they are uninterested in astrology.

JUPITERASC

Thank you, it kind of reminds me of triplicity lords.
So, my my chart, the protected planet this year
is Jupiter, if I’m counting things correctly, since
the protected sign is Sagittarius.

If profected sign is Sagittarius :smile:
then
Jupiter is the Lord of the Year for the profected year
more on the topic of Astrological Predictive Techniques
6. Manilius-Style Profections
at: http://www.sevenstarsastrology.com/astrological-predictive-techniques-6-manilius-style-profection/

Rhys

Mercury is more my concern since it makes a harsh aspect to Saturn, and both are retrograde. Internalization between them, and with Mercury Conjunct Mars, this perhaps makes communication difficult, which tends to be somewhat apparent when it comes to talking to family, or my childhood.

At least it is an inferior square, which isn't as intense as a superior one, i.e. if the positions were reversed and Saturn were in H1 and Mercury were in H4.

Interesting about the family communication difficulty. Thanks for sharing that.

Scorpio can be shy, but if that's true in your case, I really don't think it will last with Mars and Mercury in such a close degree-based conjunction. I was thinking in terms of Mars giving energy to Mercury, but I suppose another way of looking at it is that Mercury is getting clobbered by Mars and a certain outer planet!

Which returns us to the question of planetary strength: How strong is your Mercury? Hmm, it seems to be peregrine.

Mars gets a +5 in terms of planetary strength because it is in its domicile. It is also the domicile ruler of the sect light (the Sun, in your case), which is a separate subject that we should get to soon. But before we do, let's finish with the planetary strength question.

Saturn is also +5, being in its domicile. It gets an additional three points being the triplicity ruler of Aquarius in a day chart. So Saturn gets a total of +8 (right guys?) Venus gets +5 being in its domicile, Jupiter gets +1, being in its face. The Moon, Sun and Mercury are peregrine, i.e. the have no dignity and get a 0, which is better than them being in fall or detriment and getting a minus 4 or minus 5.

This doesn't include what is called accidental dignity and disability.

If planets are in the first house, for example, they gain in strength, so your peregrine Sun and Mercury would normally gain a bit of strength through being there, oops, I just saw the Mercury is retrograde, which might explain any communication problems or shyness that you might have.

Venus, which has a +5 is weakened through being in H12.

Anyway, this point system stuff is normally used as an aid for judging planetary strength. It helps an astrologer get a feel for the chart and then one moves on and starts delineating seriously.

By far, I think what you should be looking at is your Mars. It's the malefic contrary to the sect light in a day chart, and it is the domicile lord of the of the Hour Marker (ascendent), so it will play a huge role in characterizing your life direction and focus.

If I'm reading this correctly, I think last year was a H1 profection year for you, no? Didn't you just turn 25, which means last year you were 24?

If this is the case, could you let us know how last year went for you (from 26 October 2017 to 26 October 2018). Would you characterize it as generally positive or would you characterize it as a difficult year?

Kind regards

Rhys

Last edited:

Humanitarian

Here is a link to his chart, Waybread:
I'll wait to hear GrignardReagent's response to your question about H1 Mars before saying anything of substance, but one general thing that comes to mind is this: when I first came to traditional astrology as a modern astrologer, I found it very difficult to break the habit of interpreting the entire chart psychologically. And to be honest, I still find myself falling into this bad habit.

I find that it is helpful to remember that in traditional and Hellenistic astrology, we are making use of a topical approach. And that the only house we use to describe a person's psychology would be the first house. All the rest have to do with the topics they concern.

I'm looking forward to hearing the response to your Mars question.
Mars domiciled in Scorpio, Venus domicile in Libra, Saturn domiciled in Aquarius

Mars is in accidental diginity in 1st house, and he have Mercury in it's own term and in joy in 1st house

Jupiter in it's own decan