Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > Anything Else... > Chat > Hot topic arena

Hot topic arena As the title suggest, this sub-board is dedicated to non-astrological talks on interesting, important or controversial topics.


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Unread 11-24-2011, 01:08 AM
Vista's Avatar
Vista Vista is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,950
Re: Jobless in America - Tent Cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Vista: While we agree that this country is not what it used to be, not what it was supposed to be, and really not even functional anymore, I don't think that the reasons for these things have anything to do with "anchor babies."
Of course you wouldn't. You also don't live in Southern California. They have a huge financial impact on the state not just from being born here, but because their mothers come here illegally to have their babies all at taxpayer expense and to gain citizenship rights. Because of their anchor baby, they now receive entitlements in government programs because now their mother and father can stay in the country along with their siblings simply because they have a US citizen as part of their family. Again, because of their "anchor baby," it allows them to receive food stamps, cash aid, subsidized housing, free breakfast and lunch programs for all their children in addition to a free education that they aren't paying for since they aren't paying taxes, as well as free medical care. If that isn't bad enough, many who are retirement age can now collect social security without having ever paid a dime into the system. Besides the abuse of social service they also bring a lot of crime and illiteracy and special education requirements for their Spanish speaking kids. Here in California the police are supposed to impound our cars if we don't have auto insurance, but not the Hispanic population. It's considered "inhumane" to take their cars so now besides not checking their legal status of being in the United States, they now get to keep their vehicles unlike American citizens who have to provide proof of insurance. Our auto insurance has gone through the roof because most illegals obviously do not have insurance so when they get into an accident they just abandoned their cars and run. Do you know they(illegals) can walk into the ER and receive medical care and are not asked for any indentification? This is a fact here, but yet if I walked in there I would have to provide my license and insurance and if I don't have insurance I can expect a $2000 bill for a sinus infection? I live with this every day and I am also in the medical industry and have called on hospitals throughout Southern California where I have seen and heard of the financial impact they are having on the hospital systems. This is a fact, not my opinion. Are you seriously going to try and suggest this does not have a HUGE financial impact on states that have a tremendous influx of illegal immigrants coming here? In addition to all this, most that make it here either have fake identification to get jobs or they do cash pay jobs and never pay a dime in taxes. Tell me how, economically this could possibly not hurt us with at least 30+ million people here in the country illegally? What about all the jobs they have taken? They have single handedly taken most of the service industry jobs. Believe me, they don't want the strawberry picking jobs, those are mostly transitional until they get their fake ID's to get something better. And for the record, I don't buy for a minute it's the 11-20 million illegals here as they would like everyone to believe, maybe here in California but not nationwide. No way. What's more, many jobs now require bi-lingual speaking employees here in California, again an illustration of how we are catering to people who don't belong here. Why shouldn't they learn English? They are here illegally, yet we have to provide interpreters for them? Are you kidding me? These aren't the immigrants of our forefathers coming here and embracing the land, it's people and it's language. This is a generation of people who are coming here with the idea of taking back their land just by sheer numbers. They are not integrating, they are creating third world sub cultures in our neighborhoods. Take a drive through them one day, it's like going to Mexico.

And for the record so I can nip this in the bud so to speak, I am not talking about legal immigration which i completely for. We are strictly talking about the impact of illegal immigration on our country. What a slap in the face for all those who did it the right way including my cousin's wife and family and my stepfather's parents.

Reply With Quote
  #27  
Unread 11-24-2011, 01:50 AM
JUPITERASC's Avatar
JUPITERASC JUPITERASC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 49,882
Re: Jobless in America - Tent Cities

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uesCu3VVR4E video illustrating the more realistic causes of the current worldwide financial crisis

The current situation of lack of employment is a worldwide phenomenon brought about by the greed of the banks and their owners. Hence "Occupy Wall Street" and other worldwide "Occupy" protests

The comedian George Carlin commented http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5Up-...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeLLR...eature=related
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82p-D...eature=related Hippocrates Let food be your medicine: let medicine be your food. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvz9uSK3zXo Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead Tom Stoppard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KchhSIVwMdY Every exit is an entrance to somewhere else. VETTIUS VALENS FREE http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/...s%20entire.pdf

Last edited by JUPITERASC; 11-24-2011 at 01:57 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Unread 11-24-2011, 02:00 AM
Vista's Avatar
Vista Vista is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,950
Re: Jobless in America - Tent Cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUPITERASC View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uesCu3VVR4E video illustrating the more realistic causes of the current worldwide financial crisis

The current situation of lack of employment is a worldwide phenomenon brought about by the greed of the banks and their owners. Hence "Occupy Wall Street" and other worldwide "Occupy" protests

The comedian George Carlin commented http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeLLR...eature=related
I am not saying illegal immigration is solely the problem, just one major piece of a very big puzzle. But yes, you are correct.

You might enjoy this video from the author of "The Looting of America" by Les Leopold. It discusses unemployment and how the numbers are much, much higher than what's analyst have indicated. He also discusses ways to fix the problem that I find very interesting. Too bad we don't have anyone in power that will implement these fixes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkuSonZNCzY&feature=fvst
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Unread 11-24-2011, 02:03 AM
JUPITERASC's Avatar
JUPITERASC JUPITERASC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 49,882
Re: Jobless in America - Tent Cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vista View Post
I am not saying illegal immigration is solely the problem, just one major piece of a very big puzzle. But yes, you are correct.

You might enjoy this video from the author of "The Looting of America" by Les Leopold. It discusses unemployment and how the numbers are much, much higher than what's analyst have indicated. He also discusses ways to fix the problem that I find very interesting. Too bad we don't have anyone in power that will implement these fixes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkuSonZNCzY&feature=fvst
thanks for that Vista - I often wonder who calculates the official figures Meanwhile here's another wry comment from George Carlin where he comments on Homelessness http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNHIE...eature=related
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82p-D...eature=related Hippocrates Let food be your medicine: let medicine be your food. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvz9uSK3zXo Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead Tom Stoppard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KchhSIVwMdY Every exit is an entrance to somewhere else. VETTIUS VALENS FREE http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/...s%20entire.pdf
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Unread 11-24-2011, 03:43 AM
Serendipity Serendipity is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 889
Re: Jobless in America - Tent Cities

Quote:
I am pretty convinced the number of unemployed is much, much higher than what is being reported here in the United States. What about all the people who don't qualify that had small business that shut-down or other's whose benefits have run out(like mine). And the poster who said you are much better off having children; ain't that the truth!! I can't qualify for anything but food stamps, yet if I had children I would also receive besides food stamps, cash aid, housing aid vouchers, medical insurance and free breakfast and lunch for my children. This infuriates me as I really could use some help to get back on my feet! I was in a tax bracket where i was paying 49% of my income in taxes FOR YEARS yet people who have children can spend their entire lives on welfare without having ever paid dime! Don't even get me started about the people who come here illegally and drop their anchor babies who receive and entire host of benefits for their children!!! It's really scarey what is happening here in the United States and I don't see it getting better anytime soon.
Yep, my neighbor. She's got everything paid for because she has a daughter. I can't say for certain that she is here illegally but regardless... why is it people who don't have children cant get aid?
I have a friend whose husband had his leg amputated and can't work at the moment. He can't seem to get social security disability either.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Unread 11-24-2011, 04:45 AM
JUPITERASC's Avatar
JUPITERASC JUPITERASC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 49,882
Re: Jobless in America - Tent Cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post
Yep, my neighbor. She's got everything paid for because she has a daughter. I can't say for certain that she is here illegally but regardless... why is it people who don't have children cant get aid?
I have a friend whose husband had his leg amputated and can't work at the moment. He can't seem to get social security disability either.
Co-incidence? Or could this have influenced current financial crisis? http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum...ad.php?t=42804 and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXIsN...&feature=share
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82p-D...eature=related Hippocrates Let food be your medicine: let medicine be your food. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvz9uSK3zXo Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead Tom Stoppard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KchhSIVwMdY Every exit is an entrance to somewhere else. VETTIUS VALENS FREE http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/...s%20entire.pdf
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Unread 11-25-2011, 01:08 AM
tsmall's Avatar
tsmall tsmall is offline
Senior Member, Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 3,114
Re: Jobless in America - Tent Cities

Mark, I agree that the problem doesn't lie with "anchor babies" nor with babies and/or having children or not having them. The biggest reason families with children receive more aid is due, in my opinion, to the efforts of Ted Kennedy, and others like him, in trying to improve the lot of the poor by focusing on children first.

Regarding the lack of jobs here in the US, again in my opinion, we need to look at both our trade agreements, and the tax incentives given to corporations/companies who are able to ship their manufacturing, help desk, outsourcing, etc. to countries where labor is cheaper, leaving fewer and fewer jobs here in the US. This is why we have become a consumerist society...we aren't making much these days, and most of what we use is now being imported.
__________________
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." ~Mark Twain
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Unread 11-25-2011, 04:32 AM
Vista's Avatar
Vista Vista is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,950
Re: Jobless in America - Tent Cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmall View Post
Mark, I agree that the problem doesn't lie with "anchor babies" nor with babies and/or having children or not having them. The biggest reason families with children receive more aid is due, in my opinion, to the efforts of Ted Kennedy, and others like him, in trying to improve the lot of the poor by focusing on children first.

Regarding the lack of jobs here in the US, again in my opinion, we need to look at both our trade agreements, and the tax incentives given to corporations/companies who are able to ship their manufacturing, help desk, outsourcing, etc. to countries where labor is cheaper, leaving fewer and fewer jobs here in the US. This is why we have become a consumerist society...we aren't making much these days, and most of what we use is now being imported.

Tsmall, Once again I notice you don't live in California or a state that has received a significant influx on illegal aliens. I do. I see what is happening around us and we are being invaded illegally by uneducated, third world migrants. Also, I repeat, I didn't say they were the "only" problem but rather a substantial "part" of the problem we are facing here in California. If you care to educate yourself on what is really going on in California and other states, take a look at this graph on showing the explosion of live births of Hispanic's, i.e. "anchor babies" in California. Also, here is another article about the economic impact they are having on California. Both have references at the bottom.

http://www.thesocialcontract.com/artman2/publish/tsc_17_4/tsc_17_4_romero.shtml

http://www.statehealthfacts.org/comparemaptable.jsp?ind=36&st=3
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Unread 11-25-2011, 05:23 AM
JUPITERASC's Avatar
JUPITERASC JUPITERASC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 49,882
Moral foundations of Capitalism in relation to Tent Cities in america

Many politicians have blamed business for the current recession, leading to additional measures by the U.S. government to regulate the market. Some critics argue that the Federal Reserve's missteps in managing the monetary system created an economic bubble. That bubble pervaded the real estate market in part through relaxed lending standards promulgated by the government-sponsored enterprises Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae. When the bubble inevitably deflated, the crisis spread to the general economy, resulting in high unemployment and negative or slow economic growth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OCzqi3oGmg


The Federalist Society's Student Division hosted this speech at the 2011 Annual Student Symposium on February 26, 2011. 11:00 a.m.
Speech: The U.S. Financial Crisis: Causes and Consequences
--Mr. John Allison, Former Chairman and CEO, BB&T Corporation
--Introduction: Mr. Howard Husock, Vice President for Policy Research, Manhattan Institute

University of Virginia School of Law
Charlottesville, VA
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82p-D...eature=related Hippocrates Let food be your medicine: let medicine be your food. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvz9uSK3zXo Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead Tom Stoppard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KchhSIVwMdY Every exit is an entrance to somewhere else. VETTIUS VALENS FREE http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/...s%20entire.pdf
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Unread 11-25-2011, 02:46 PM
twelthnight twelthnight is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 921
Re: Jobless in America - Tent Cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vista View Post
Tsmall, Once again I notice you don't live in California or a state that has received a significant influx on illegal aliens. I do. I see what is happening around us and we are being invaded illegally by uneducated, third world migrants. Also, I repeat, I didn't say they were the "only" problem but rather a substantial "part" of the problem we are facing here in California. If you care to educate yourself on what is really going on in California and other states, take a look at this graph on showing the explosion of live births of Hispanic's, i.e. "anchor babies" in California. Also, here is another article about the economic impact they are having on California. Both have references at the bottom.

http://www.thesocialcontract.com/artman2/publish/tsc_17_4/tsc_17_4_romero.shtml


Vista, you also say immigrants today are not like they were in previous waves...you don't think there weren"t ALWAYS people like you, looking to recent immigrants with bitterness and suspicion? Always there were bigots, claiming that immigrants would be the ruin of our society, just after their own parents or grandparents made it through the door.
http://www.statehealthfacts.org/comparemaptable.jsp?ind=36&st=3
So, live birth of an Hispanic child in California = "anchor baby"? I am surprised no one else has spoken out here and I will. This is bigotry, plain and simple. Immigration has traditionally been fueled by people in a bad situation (unemployment, hunger, genocide) seeking a better life. These people are just as likely to make positive contributions to society as any other group of citizens. Like I said before...i was living in England (as an American) but ended up divorced with two English-born babies. I had to accept benefits for a year while I set up a business which eventually had one employee and I was paying taxes by the time I moved back to the US. Immigrants are not the problem, people spreading ignorance is the problem.

"Give us your poor, your tired, your huddled masses longing to breathe free. The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door." That's our statue of liberty talking. Notice she doesn't make distinctions based on education or race.

You don't slap a poem like that on your borders and then wring your hands when said poor, homeless huddled masses actually show up.

Last edited by twelthnight; 11-25-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Unread 11-25-2011, 04:59 PM
Vista's Avatar
Vista Vista is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,950
Re: Jobless in America - Tent Cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelthnight View Post
So, live birth of an Hispanic child in California = "anchor baby"? I am surprised no one else has spoken out here and I will. This is bigotry, plain and simple. Immigration has traditionally been fueled by people in a bad situation (unemployment, hunger, genocide) seeking a better life. These people are just as likely to make positive contributions to society as any other group of citizens. Like I said before...i was living in England (as an American) but ended up divorced with two English-born babies. I had to accept benefits for a year while I set up a business which eventually had one employee and I was paying taxes by the time I moved back to the US. Immigrants are not the problem, people spreading ignorance is the problem.

"Give us your poor, your tired, your huddled masses longing to breathe free. The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door." That's our statue of liberty talking. Notice she doesn't make distinctions based on education or race.

You don't slap a poem like that on your borders and then wring your hands when said poor, homeless huddled masses actually show up.
I bet you don't live in a state where you are dealing with this issue either. Well since we are calling names and I am certainly not afraid to speak out either; I think this is pure ignorance on your part. I am so disgusted by people like you with your typical Liberal mind-set and the same tired, old arguments of why it's OK for millions upon millions of people to continue to break our laws. The immigrants of before came here legally and they also didn't expect the taxpayer to support them. We also didn't have the majority of immigrants(80%) coming from one culture as we do now who, btw, who have an average of a 5 years of schooling and do not speak or speak very little English. The laws are there for a reason! Do you think Mexico or any other South American country allow illegal aliens to immigrate into its countries unchecked? No, they don't. In fact, they have some of the most strict immigration laws of any in the world and deportation is swift. Do you also think that along with the people who want a better way of life that the criminals aren't coming along with them? Well they are and I am tired of it!! Many people are! There needs to be checks and balances and there isn't any with the current system. 1 in 10 have criminal backgrounds, this isn't my opinion it's fact. My cousins Hispanic wife and her family came here legally and so did my Hispanic stepfathers grandparents. They are tired of what is happening here too, in fact, they are MORE infuriated because they worked hard to do the right thing and wait their turn. They never abused the system and they certainly didn't take government assistance, unlike many who come here and take as many freebies as they can all at the taxpayer's expense. Look at the statistics, most who come here are on some form of government assistance that taxpayers foot the bill for. It's a different mindset now than immigrants of before, many are not loyal to the United States they are loyal to Mexico, which is odd since the corruption and poverty of their country is what drove them out. As it stands now, all they have to do is get here and they "have a right" to stay including the right to vote even though they aren't a citizen of the United States!!! It's unbelievable what is happening! At the end of the day it doesn't matter why it's "fueled" or who they are as people as we know there are many good people coming here from Latin America - that's not the problem. We have immigration laws for a reason. What don't you understand about that? What they give verses what they take is much greater - the documentation is all there. Educated yourself. Perhaps we should be investing our time in helping eradicate Mexico's corrupt government and the monopoly on who makes money in that country. There is no reason why they shouldn't be able to support their people. They have a tremendous amount of natural resources they can tap into.
PS. As for the live births to Hispanic woman equaling "anchor babies:" What do you call it when someone comes here illegally and has their baby and now their baby is a US citizen which now allows the entire family to stay in America? Sounds like an anchor baby to me. Like I said, I worked in the hospital system Throughout San Diego, CA. and at one point, 88% of live births from Hispanic women were to undocumented immigrants from Latin America and THEY DON'T PAY A DIME.

Last edited by Vista; 11-25-2011 at 05:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Unread 11-25-2011, 05:12 PM
twelthnight twelthnight is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 921
Re: Jobless in America - Tent Cities

Vista, you are not educating, as you would like to think, but polarizing. This kind of argument is the direct result of **** like Fox news. The real problem is big business, not poor desperate people.

Also, what have you done, to be so high and mighty? Have YOU started a business? Have YOU created jobs?

Last edited by twelthnight; 11-25-2011 at 05:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Unread 11-25-2011, 05:39 PM
Vista's Avatar
Vista Vista is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,950
Re: Jobless in America - Tent Cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelthnight View Post
Vista, you are not educating, as you would like to think, but polarizing. This kind of argument is the direct result of **** like Fox news. The real problem is big business, not poor desperate people.

Also, what have you done, to be so high and mighty? Have YOU started a business? Have YOU created jobs?

Really, what's polarising about stating the facts? And what makes you so "HIGH AND MIGHTY" yourself? I didn't start calling you names, you did. What are you contributing to the conversation here? Just because you have an opinion doesn't make it right. I am sure the **** you listen from your Liberal Stations are more accurate then? Where do live? Have you started a business and do you employ people? I live in the middle of the problem and for the record, I did have a business that employed three people, two of which were Hispanic citizens who are like family. Like many, I had to shut down because of the economy in addition to having lost my full time employment. The illegal immigration is a financial burden on the state of California and because I am saying it's so then it's bigatry, right? Such a stupid statement. Look up the stats yourself. No one is suggesting they are a terrible culture or even that their plight is not valid. But it is a serious problem for many of the reasons I have stated and I am not afraid to say something about it. And never did I say it's the ONLY problem we are facing as a nation econimally. I said it was a major part of a number of problems particularly here in Southern California.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Unread 11-25-2011, 05:45 PM
twelthnight twelthnight is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 921
Re: Jobless in America - Tent Cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vista View Post
Really, what's polarising about stating the facts? And what makes you so "HIGH AND MIGHTY" yourself? I didn't start calling you names, you did. What are you contributing to the conversation here? Just because you have an opinion doesn't make it right. I am sure the **** you listen from your Liberal Stations are more accurate then? Where do live? Have you started a business and do you employ people? I live in the middle of the problem and for the record, I did have a business that employed three people, two of which were Hispanic citizens who are like family. Like many, I had to shut down because of the economy in addition to having lost my full time employment. The illegal immigration is a financial burden on the state of California and because I am saying it's so then it's bigatry, right? Such a stupid statement. Look up the stats yourself. No one is suggesting they are a terrible culture or even that their plight is not valid. But it is a serious problem for many of the reasons I have stated and I am not afraid to say something about it. And never did I say it's the ONLY problem we are facing as a nation econimally. I said it was a major part of a number of problems particularly here in Southern California.
Okay, you are not reading my posts. I stated that I started a business as an immigrant and did/do employ people. I also left a small franchise behind in England that is now owner/operated by a woman who had been on benefits. I couldn't let this thread go and be a part of AC without stating I think this is utter nonsense. My two cents, my right.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Unread 11-25-2011, 05:47 PM
Vista's Avatar
Vista Vista is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,950
Re: Moral foundations of Capitalism in relation to Tent Cities in america

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUPITERASC View Post
Many politicians have blamed business for the current recession, leading to additional measures by the U.S. government to regulate the market. Some critics argue that the Federal Reserve's missteps in managing the monetary system created an economic bubble. That bubble pervaded the real estate market in part through relaxed lending standards promulgated by the government-sponsored enterprises Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae. When the bubble inevitably deflated, the crisis spread to the general economy, resulting in high unemployment and negative or slow economic growth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OCzqi3oGmg


The Federalist Society's Student Division hosted this speech at the 2011 Annual Student Symposium on February 26, 2011. 11:00 a.m.
Speech: The U.S. Financial Crisis: Causes and Consequences
--Mr. John Allison, Former Chairman and CEO, BB&T Corporation
--Introduction: Mr. Howard Husock, Vice President for Policy Research, Manhattan Institute

University of Virginia School of Law
Charlottesville, VA
Thank you for posting this, I will take a look. But yes, what you said is very true! But to be honest it some respects i think it needed to happen because the price of real-estate was so over-inflated there was no where to go but down. I wish the banks would rent out these vacant, foreclosed homes instead of sitting on them for months sometimes a year or more. There is another problem that is happening at least here in California, rental shortages are becoming an issue and over-priced rental properties. It's a vicious cycle.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Unread 11-25-2011, 06:03 PM
Vista's Avatar
Vista Vista is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,950
Re: Jobless in America - Tent Cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelthnight View Post
Okay, you are not reading my posts. I stated that I started a business as an immigrant and did/do employ people. I also left a small franchise behind in England that is now owner/operated by a woman who had been on benefits. I couldn't let this thread go and be a part of AC without stating I think this is utter nonsense. My two cents, my right.
No I did read your post I forgot that part. My friend came here from Belgium and started a business that at one time employed at least a dozen people. He was deported because his Visa expired and could not get another extension. Where is the justice? Yet someone from Mexico can come here and receive government assistance, yet they let them stay.

You also aren't showing me any documentation to the contrary in regards to what is happening here in California. I have. So my "two cents" back to you is that your opinion is utter nonsense as well; my right too. You also aren't answering me on where you live and I am pretty certain it's not here or you would have said so. I am also pretty sure that you are not up on the California financial crisis or unemployment we are facing as a state. We are ranked as one of the highest percentage of unemployed states in the country. We cannot continue to support the vast number of illegal immigration we are receiving and the drain it's taking on social services.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Unread 11-25-2011, 06:17 PM
Vista's Avatar
Vista Vista is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,950
Re: Jobless in America - Tent Cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUPITERASC View Post
Vista, you are upset because in common with many millions worldwide you are unemployed which is a tragedy for you - however, you are one of the fortunate ones because you have assistance from your mother. This thread is intended to focus on those who are not only unemployed but also homeless having lost everything and who have no family and/or friends with the ability to support them. It is clear you are angry with your situation, however attempting to pin the blame on "anchor babies" is missing the foundation causes of the current jobless in America and the resulting Tent Cities. For example Marks' comment

and tsmall's opinion are both full of commonsense

and did you read twelthnight's post?

This thread needs to return on track and discuss the HOMELESS who are living in Tent Cities in USA
But it is related Jupiter because many ARE living in tents and are homeless here, AND, many jobs(not one's people do not want) ARE being taken by people here illegally - hence it is a major problem and a contributing factor to this threads topic. How are people homeless? Mostly because they do not have jobs. Again, joblessness is related to the topic of tent cities/homelessness and undocumented immigrants are taking many jobs, hence people are forced into living this way. Again, I am not saying it's the only problem but IT IS a factor and California contributes a very high percentage to the US economy.

And I did read Twelthnights post, but I am certainly not going to be attacked. You seem to be ok with that for some reason. You should be asking her if she read mine because clearly she is only taking bits and pieces and latching onto this instead looking at the big picture of what is happening here.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Unread 11-25-2011, 06:23 PM
Vista's Avatar
Vista Vista is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,950
Re: Jobless in America - Tent Cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUPITERASC View Post
Vista, if you would like to begin a separate thread in order to discuss immigration then do so.

However I remind you that the topic of discussion of this thread is Jobless in America - Tent Cities
Yes, that is a very good option but isn't California part of America? I think our posts are crossing. Anyway point taken, if Twelthnight isn't attacking she will not hear anything more from me either on this thread.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Unread 11-25-2011, 06:27 PM
Mark's Avatar
Mark Mark is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Georgia, US
Posts: 1,428
Re: Jobless in America - Tent Cities

Vista: I think your feelings are so strong because, as you said yourself, you're living in the middle of the problem. When immersed in a problem, it becomes easy to forget that most states aren't having this problem. In fact, Northern California isn't even having this problem (at least nothing like Southern California). Here in Georgia, illegals are only easy to find at Home Depot. In fact, we've been suffering from not enough illegals! In Georgia and Florida, there was literally fruit left to rot in the fields last year because there weren't enough hands to pick them. It seems your side of the country is getting all the illegal immigrants for some reason.

Let's also remember that we have, more than once in America history, declared that all illegals immigrants in the country are legal citizens. The last time this was proposed, people acted like it was the end of the world. Most of them didn't know that we've already done this several times. Also, I have to disagree with the bit about how immigrants of the past had better attitudes than immigrants today. Remember what happened to all those red people that were here before whitie arrived? The original white immigrants to this land were some rather spiteful, greedy, and uncaring individuals.

Our major problem is that we don't have enough jobs. I agree. Where did those jobs go? To Taiwan, China, India, and even Mexico. How do you like that? Go to a car shop and read the manufacturer's label off of any replacement car part. Most of them are made or assembled in Mexico and shipped here because it's cheaper for the American business owner. I don't think we were cut off from our jobs by competition. We were sold out by our own American-born corporations.
__________________
http://www.twelvestaralmanac.com/
Free Astrological Tools, Calculators, and Ephemerides
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Unread 11-25-2011, 06:46 PM
Vista's Avatar
Vista Vista is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,950
Re: Jobless in America - Tent Cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Vista: I think your feelings are so strong because, as you said yourself, you're living in the middle of the problem. When immersed in a problem, it becomes easy to forget that most states aren't having this problem. In fact, Northern California isn't even having this problem (at least nothing like Southern California). Here in Georgia, illegals are only easy to find at Home Depot. In fact, we've been suffering from not enough illegals! In Georgia and Florida, there was literally fruit left to rot in the fields last year because there weren't enough hands to pick them. It seems your side of the country is getting all the illegal immigrants for some reason.

Let's also remember that we have, more than once in America history, declared that all illegals immigrants in the country are legal citizens. The last time this was proposed, people acted like it was the end of the world. Most of them didn't know that we've already done this several times. Also, I have to disagree with the bit about how immigrants of the past had better attitudes than immigrants today. Remember what happened to all those red people that were here before whitie arrived? The original white immigrants to this land were some rather spiteful, greedy, and uncaring individuals.

Our major problem is that we don't have enough jobs. I agree. Where did those jobs go? To Taiwan, China, India, and even Mexico. How do you like that? Go to a car shop and read the manufacturer's label off of any replacement car part. Most of them are made or assembled in Mexico and shipped here because it's cheaper for the American business owner. I don't think we were cut off from our jobs by competition. We were sold out by our own American-born corporations.

Hi Mark,
You have made some excellent points and many of which I agree with especially outsourcing of manufacturing. It's travesty for sure! But you have to remember, we have had more illegal immigration in the past decade than we have had in the past century leading up to this point we are at now. The numbers are staggering and largely coming from one population of people. But again, I did not say all but rather many are loyal to Mexico. It's evidence by their protests carrying their flags and teenagers pulling down the American flag and replacing it with the Mexican flag.These incidences are not uncommon. It's the animosity towards America and American culture(again not all but many) and the refusal to assimilate that is becoming a major problem. We have sub cultures popping up all over the country, here it's mostly Hispanic because it is where we are seeing most of the immigration.
But as Jupiter said, I think I will branch off and start my own thread. I would invite you to comment there if you would like to? Thanks for your comments.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Unread 11-25-2011, 07:04 PM
Vista's Avatar
Vista Vista is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,950
Re: Jobless in America - Tent Cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUPITERASC View Post
Vista, your comments regarding Hispanic "anchor-babies" are inflammatory and because this thread does not concern immigration your comments are contrary to the topic of this thread. I can tell you that because I began this thread in order to draw attention to the plight of HOMELESS Americans who are now forced to live in Tent Cities because they have no other alternative.

You are not homeless. You are not living in a Tent City - if you were you would not have online access. You are unemployed, which is worrying and difficult for you and you have health problems as you have previously stated but nevertheless - you are one of the fortunate few who have support from a member of their family. twelthnight said

what twelthnight has said is simply in defence of the people you have accused of having "anchor-babies" Basically, twelthnight is entitled to her opinion and is correct to state that immigrants are people in bad situations who are just as likely to make a positive contribution to the society they are in. twelthnight lived in England herself as an immigrant on benefits before starting up her own business which she then passed on to another person in England who then was able to be self-supporting. twelthnight's valid point is that immigrants can make positive contributions to society - just as she did herself before returning to American
I understood that what she said, but Twelthnight is clearly not uneducated nor did she immigrate to England illegally. Also, England is not being invaded predominantly by one culture. This is not about legal immigration, this is ILLEGAL immigration, breaking the law, OUR laws. It seems your point is that we should turn a blind eye to the millions of illegal immigration taking place even though they are breaking our laws and straining our social services, although any other country in the world would deport because some contribute to society? What's the point of having immigration laws or borders? Are we going to pick and chose which cultures can stay and who cannot? That's what seems to be happening, the US turns a blind eye to Hispanic illegal immigration. Besides, why are they above the laws of this land? And yes, it's common knowledge that if you have a baby here in the United States you and your family can stay legally, hence the term "anchor baby." This is what has happened, it's common knowledge especially in Mexico, hence the large influx of young, Hsipanic woman having babies here. Perhaps you Twelthnight don't care for the derogatory reference, but essentially that is exactly what it is. Even some of our politicians speak of it in this term. It is what it is, why sugar coat? I suppose the good side is that they stay here legally.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Unread 11-25-2011, 07:06 PM
twelthnight twelthnight is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 921
Re: Jobless in America - Tent Cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vista View Post
I understood that what she said, but Twelthnight is clearly not uneducated nor did she immigrate to England illegally. Also, England is not being invaded predominantly by one culture. This is not about legal immigration, this is ILLEGAL immigration, breaking the law, OUR laws. It seems your point is that we should turn a blind eye to the millions of illegal immigration taking place even though they are breaking our laws and straining our social services, although any other country in the world would deport because some contribute to society? What's the point of having immigration laws or borders? Are we going to pick and chose which cultures can stay and who cannot? That's what seems to be happening, the US turns a blind eye to Hispanic illegal immigration. Besides, why are they above the laws of this land? And yes, it's common knowledge that if you have a baby here in the United States you and your family can stay legally, hence the term "anchor baby." This is what has happened, it's common knowledge especially in Mexico, hence the large influx of young, Hsipanic woman having babies here. Perhaps you Twelthnight don't care for the derogatory reference, but essentially that is exactly what it is. Even some of our politicians speak of it in this term. It is what it is, why sugar coat? I suppose the good side is that they stay here legally.
Just a minor point...modern Engalnd is wrestling with severe internal RAGE over their immigration issues. And I assure you there were many people who looked down on me due to my position. Some of those EXACT same people looked up to me when my business took off!

Last edited by twelthnight; 11-25-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Unread 11-25-2011, 07:17 PM
JUPITERASC's Avatar
JUPITERASC JUPITERASC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 49,882
Re: Jobless in America - Tent Cities

While all eyes are on Occupy Wall Street, a different kind of camp is also growing, driven by economic hardship in the United States. Tent City, a makeshift village in the woods of New Jersey, is home to ex-workers who can no longer make ends meet. Their numbers have doubled in the past year. But the neighboring town has had enough of living with a homeless camp in its midst -- and is using the courts to get rid of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAdCJBNpgW0

Homeless, unemployed and living in a Tent City in a New Jersey Forest
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82p-D...eature=related Hippocrates Let food be your medicine: let medicine be your food. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvz9uSK3zXo Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead Tom Stoppard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KchhSIVwMdY Every exit is an entrance to somewhere else. VETTIUS VALENS FREE http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/...s%20entire.pdf

Last edited by JUPITERASC; 11-25-2011 at 07:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Unread 11-25-2011, 07:22 PM
Vista's Avatar
Vista Vista is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,950
Smile Re: Jobless in America - Tent Cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUPITERASC View Post
Vista did you read everything Mark said? I draw to your attention the following comment

That is a comment worth thinking over... after all, the original citizens of USA were the American Indians - it was "the home of the Brave" remember... the home of the American Brave. Where have the fifteen million plus American Indians gone? They were massacred in horrific genocidal wars and the few left are now are isolated in 'reservations' by the people who were originally immigrants


The major cause of unemployment and Tent Cities in America is precisely what Mark has said

Thank you
Again, that is yours and Marks opinion; it doesn't necessarily make it the only factor in what has happened to this country economically. It's one of several factors. Illegal immigration is a major problem and one of the top issues Americans want fixed. It's had a huge negative economic impact on many states that have received a large proportion of people coming here illegally.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds like you are suggesting that the horrible massacre of millions of American Indians hundred of years ago by European settlers has something to do with what is going on now and is primarily the reason why we should allow millions of people to come here illegally from Mexico? Aren't most who live on reservations because they want to be? The government has also tried to make up for what our forefathers have done by giving them land, free higher education, and not requiring them to pay taxes. What should we do for the misdeeds of others? Look at the history of any country throughout Europe and Asia, they have fought over land for thousands of years and millions have died because of it. Why is this relevant to what we are facing today as a Nation with illegal immigration primarily from Latin America? Do you really think we can continue to support the millions upon millions of a population of people who are primarily coming from a third world country? We can't sustain this at the rate it's been happening, it's not possible.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Unread 11-25-2011, 07:28 PM
JUPITERASC's Avatar
JUPITERASC JUPITERASC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 49,882
Re: Jobless in America - Tent Cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vista View Post
Again, that is yours and Marks opinion; it doesn't necessarily make it the only factor in what has happened to this country economically. It's one of several factors. .
We are discussing Joblessness leading to Homelessness specifically.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmall View Post
It comes down to the best interests of the average American being held hostage to the political atmosphere in this country that seems to reward those elected to help restructure the system for doing absolutely nothing of any benefit.

When the fringe elements of either party begin to set party platforms and shape (or block) legislation, the majority of us in the middle go unheard/unhelped. When a minority party (tea, anyone?) has the ability to prevent forward motion by refusing to compromise, we no longer have a democracy
.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82p-D...eature=related Hippocrates Let food be your medicine: let medicine be your food. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvz9uSK3zXo Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead Tom Stoppard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KchhSIVwMdY Every exit is an entrance to somewhere else. VETTIUS VALENS FREE http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/...s%20entire.pdf
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will I get back to America winged feet Read My Chart 1 07-28-2009 02:43 PM
United States of America gassan Mundane Astrology 0 07-18-2006 02:35 PM



All times are GMT. The time now is 03:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005-2018, AstrologyWeekly.com. Boards' structure and all posts are property of AstrologyWeekly.com and their respective creators. No part of the messages sent on these boards may be copied without their owners' explicit consent.