The meaning of burned planets?!

ExtremeRose

Hello!!! :)
My friend, who is practicing astrology, for a while, says that when two planets are in conjunction,on the same degree, that the planet which is ahead(its calculated by minutes), it's burning the other one. For example I have Sun in Leo on 29 degree,and 36 minutes, and Venus in Leo on 29degree, and 00 minutes. She says that My Sun is burning my Venus, in which way? I don't really believe that theory..It's not very logic... someone please help me! :))))))) :(((
:love: for all! <3

tsmall

Premium Member
Hello!!! :)
My friend, who is practicing astrology, for a while, says that when two planets are in conjunction,on the same degree, that the planet which is ahead(its calculated by minutes), it's burning the other one. For example I have Sun in Leo on 29 degree,and 36 minutes, and Venus in Leo on 29degree, and 00 minutes. She says that My Sun is burning my Venus, in which way? I don't really believe that theory..It's not very logic... someone please help me! :))))))) :(((
:love: for all! <3

"Burning" only happens with conjunctions to the Sun. The power of the Sun is so strong that any planet within 8* of it (traditionally, and even in most modern interpretations) is said to be combust, or burned. Planets are considered to be "under the beams" (think sunbeams) if they are from about 8.5 degrees out to 17 degrees.

Here is the thing though...your Venus is very close to what we call cazimi, or in the heart of the Sun. Astrologers from Lily (and perhaps before) only counted planets as cazimi, or in the heart of the Sun, if they were within 17', but I am of the opinion that a degree or less counts in natal charts. You can google the term to get the idea, as well as googling "combust" and "under the beams."

All of that said, a planetary conjunction not involving the Sun is not in any way considered a "burning."

ExtremeRose

That's very interesting... So do I have the cazimi, or is it strictly 17minutes? and, I think I'm figuring it out, but what do you think, what would my Sun+Venus mean?:)))

Cypocryphy

That's very interesting... So do I have the cazimi, or is it strictly 17minutes? and, I think I'm figuring it out, but what do you think, what would my Sun+Venus mean?:)))

What's wrong with my arithmetic? I suppose your Venus is combust your Sun. And you were so close! Well, this is kind of what it means. I have not looked at your chart, so this will be a tentative analysis.

Your Venus is in Leo, so you are likely a woman who is really loyal to her lover. But because it is combust, you'll be loyal to a fault, you see? When you should leave the relationship, you'll stay. You'll try to make it work when you should save yourself the pain and suffering. You're like a captain that stays on board a sinking ship.

So you can see how it helps you have this wonderfully commendable quality, but it will be your achilles heal.

Does that make sense?

tsmall

Premium Member
What's wrong with my arithmetic? I suppose your Venus is combust your Sun. And you were so close! Well, this is kind of what it means. I have not looked at your chart, so this will be a tentative analysis.

Your Venus is in Leo, so you are likely a woman who is really loyal to her lover. But because it is combust, you'll be loyal to a fault, you see? When you should leave the relationship, you'll stay. You'll try to make it work when you should save yourself the pain and suffering. You're like a captain that stays on board a sinking ship.

So you can see how it helps you have this wonderfully commendable quality, but it will be your achilles heal.

Does that make sense?

Would be easier to try if we had the chart though. What you describe is pretty apt for a Taurus Moon as well.

What house is Leo? What houses (Taurus, Libra and Pisces) does Venus rule? What remarks Aries in the chart?

ExtremeRose, to answer your question, natally I would consider your Venus to be cazimi.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

That's very interesting... So do I have the cazimi, or is it strictly 17minutes?....
Combust http://www.skyscript.co.uk/gl/combust.html

QUOTE:

'A planet is combust when it is in conjunction with the Sun and therefore hidden from sight by the light of the Sun.
Traditionally this is a serious debility and implies that the planet is weakened or restricted in power.

However, if the planet is within 17 minutes of the Sun, it is termed Cazimi - in the heart of the Sun - and considered strengthened by the union...'

'In his Introduction, William Lilly stated that the combust planet should be in the same sign as the Sun and within 8° 30'
- beyond this distance, but within 17 ° of the Sun, the planet is said to be under the Sun's beams. This condition is debilitating, but not as severe as combustion....' :smile:

Cypocryphy

Would be easier to try if we had the chart though.

Yeah. That would definitely help. I just wanted to convey how a planet being combust will augment its influence.

What you describe is pretty apt for a Taurus Moon as well.

I can definitely see that. But I distinguish the effects of the two by the cause. The cause for the former is loyalty. The cause for the latter is a emotional resilience or emotional fixedness. The emotion and mind are fixed. I suppose you could say they are stubborn. So if someone tells her that the guy she's with is no good, then she'll resist that idea, even if he is so. It is due to her initially building a positive emotional response toward her man and that emotional response becoming fixed. This is so even if he now iss treating her badly. The idea will be that I know he's a good person because I loved him once, so he'll be a good person again at some point. With a Leo Venus, I see it as a belief that "love" is being there for someone, and that if I love them enough, they're going to change.

This could be splicing hairs in a sense, and I know everyone has their different interpretations. But this is how I try to distinguish them. Does that seem right to you? Maybe not! :happy: I think everyone kind of uses their own judgment and experience to interpret these conditions. *shrug*

Last edited:

Moog

Apparently, one Sanskrit term for combustion is nashta which means 'lost'.

What happens astronomically, is that the planet is;

a) Invisible, obscured by rising with the Sun.

b) Distant, more distant from the earth.

Mercury and Venus operate a little differently to the outer planets. So, don't just look at their proximity to the sun, it depends on whether they are in the superior or inferior conjunction.

I speculate that the 'Cazimi' term is meant to be applied to these planets, when they are in the inferior conjunction... or, quite possibly, only to their transits across the actual face of the Sun, such as happened last year, with the Venus transit.

For the outer planets, it's simpler; if they are within range of the Sun, they are lost/burnt.

Cypocryphy

Apparently, one Sanskrit term for combustion is nashta which means 'lost'.

What happens astronomically, is that the planet is;

a) Invisible, obscured by rising with the Sun.

b) Distant, more distant from the earth.

Mercury and Venus operate a little differently to the outer planets. So, don't just look at their proximity to the sun, it depends on whether they are in the superior or inferior conjunction.

I speculate that the 'Cazimi' term is meant to be applied to these planets, when they are in the inferior conjunction... or, quite possibly, only to their transits across the actual face of the Sun, such as happened last year, with the Venus transit.

For the outer planets, it's simpler; if they are within range of the Sun, they are lost/burnt.

Yes!! Quite so!!

dr. farr

I follow a more alchemical outlook regarding combustion: I do not consider the planet "destroyed" by the Sun, but rather that the Sun has absorbed (temporarily) the qualities of the combust planet, and that a mixture of Sun+planet qualities and influences are then present (predominanted, however, by the solar qualities) Regarding aspects (or Parallels) of the combust planet to other planets, I use the Sun "as if" in that aspect or Parallel (rather than the combust planet), for delineative purposes.
I follow the ancients and consider Cazimi to be the greatest possible dignity for any planet (Firmicus Maternus, Maximus and other ancients said that when a planet is Cazimi it is as if there were 2 of those planets operative in the chart)
...but, like I said, my outlook here is very much in line with alchemical thinking (moreso than with "straight" astrological thinking) regarding this subject...

gen6k

well basically your ego takes love for itself. basically actions in venus are slightly more manipulated as well as there being a certain wound from the sun on to venus.

in terms of mercury combust it manifests as a speech quirk or reciprocating events with the ego not necessarily egoistic...they are appropriated for the self, but the person can still develop the actions according to their nature.

the direct combust is not really all that bad. the 5+ combust is more highly visible in many artists,musicians,writers, etc. where the mind is able to seperate from the ego for a little bit more space.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuYKC28H-x0

he has an exact combust mercury.

it can be problematic though without adjustment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHsdvMfvkWY

Last edited:

ExtremeRose

Does that make sense?

Hmm, I like this sentance about captain and his ship...You're right about one. If i love someone, I will not leave him, but if i don't have enough attention, and passion,at the moment I will be with him, but, it's like animal instinct- my sensors start opening for others, my heart starts to open for others options... I can be attracted to more people than one...I love that feeling...It's like my, let's say: GOOD FLAW...

Cypocryphy

Hmm, I like this sentance about captain and his ship...You're right about one. If i love someone, I will not leave him, but if i don't have enough attention, and passion,at the moment I will be with him, but, it's like animal instinct- my sensors start opening for others, my heart starts to open for others options... I can be attracted to more people than one...I love that feeling...It's like my, let's say: GOOD FLAW...

:lol: @ Good Flaw. Funny . . . .

Your attachment didn't post for some reason. There's a better way to put up a chart. You'll want to attach it as a file. Here's a link to show you how: http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showpost.php?p=157204&postcount=27

At least I hope that works.

And I don't think that my statement I made about "loyalty" accurately portrays your manner of romance or interaction in relationships. I think that you probably wouldn't "go down with a sinking ship." :wink: But it does tend to show the effect of what combustion causes. Nonetheless, we (I and others) can look at your chart and give you better feedback. :smile:

See ya

Last edited:

kimbermoon

Would it not depend on which planet is more dominant? Does the Sun eclipse the other planetary energy, or vice versa? I have Sun/Jupiter conjunct [6'] in the 8th house [Cancer]...at the same time Mars is in opposition to this conjunction. Further there is a grand trine involving Saturn, Moon and Sun/Jupiter...what might thee say about this?:smile:

Cypocryphy

Would it not depend on which planet is more dominant? Does the Sun eclipse the other planetary energy, or vice versa? I have Sun/Jupiter conjunct [6'] in the 8th house [Cancer]...at the same time Mars is in opposition to this conjunction. Further there is a grand trine involving Saturn, Moon and Sun/Jupiter...what might thee say about this?:smile:

Yeah. I definitely think you are right regarding which planet is more dominant. And as far as the Sun eclipsing, I believe it is just as Moog described with the superior and inferior conjunctions.

Do you have a chart? It would make it easer. At least for me! :smile:

Moog

Traditional sources indicate that the planet's power isn't completely lost, due to it's dignity.

I've never heard of a planet overpowering the Sun. However, I can see that there's a certain logic to the idea. But I'd go with the traditional view unless I saw something convincing otherwise.

Combustion seems to an astrological concept derived from astronomy. As far as I know, the Sun doesn't obscure a planet any the less when it's in Libra, nor is Jupiter more visible through 'the beams' in Cancer.

dr. farr

Right, that's along the lines of why I consider combust planets to be absorbed (melded with) the Sun, with a resultant influence of Sun (predominant) mixed with the qualities/influences of the combust planet.